• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

rblissitt

rblissitt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

it works for me, but i need to and press F8 immediately after selecting OSX86 in the OS list, and then choose the partition manually

The above is the only way I can boot OSX from my XP boot menu using chain0 in the boot.ini. I have both XP and OS X in my boot.ini. I can select OSX from the menu and *jump* on F8 and it will then give me the OSX boot loader and let me pick from my XP install and my OSX install.

If I select OSX from the XP boot menu and don't press F8, it just takes me back to the XP boot menu. Funny thing is, I didn't have to press F8 until today - I could just select OSX from the XP boot menu and it started OSX...

-kat

cajos

cajos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
chain0 doesn't work for me.
I have three partitions. The first and last is formatted to ntfs and the middle is for OS X 10.4.3 8f1099 (maxxuss-patched).
1. OSX installed and run fine on disk0s2
2. I copied chain0 to C:\ and edited boot.ini as described earlier.
3. Next time I rebooted I see "MacOSx86" in XP boot menu. After selecting it screen clears nothing happen for about 2 seconds then XP boot menu returns. It means chain0 cannot recognize or find HFS+ partition. No error message but silently fail and return to XP boot.

I tried fixing it by doing Startup Disk stuff: same result.

nordaaa

nordaaa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i prefer Acronis boot Manager.
boot my xp x64 and osx86 10.4.3 8f1099.

it's included in Acronis Disk Director Suite.

Edited by nordaaa, 13 December 2005 - 01:18 PM.

Zandig

Zandig

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

I have three partitions. The first and last is formatted to ntfs and the middle is for OS X 10.4.3 8f1099 (maxxuss-patched).
3. Next time I rebooted I see "MacOSx86" in XP boot menu. After selecting it screen clears nothing happen for about 2 seconds then XP boot menu returns. It means chain0 cannot recognize or find HFS+ partition. No error message but silently fail and return to XP boot.

Did you read the post above yours ?

Hippy Dave

Hippy Dave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm also having trouble getting a 10.4.3 1099 dual boot system running. I did the following:

Partitioned a Windows NTFS volume, and a HFS+ (Type AF) volume. Then I ran the Mac OS X DVD Install, which after rebooting with the DVD In the drive booted up the hard-disk version of OSX fine. After the second reboot, nothing would load at all. So I reinstalled XP on its drive, which allowed the system to boot to XP. I then tried the chain0 trick, but that resulted in going back to the BOOT.INI bootup menu. I tried dd'ing the first 512 bytes of the OSX partition and running that from BOOT.INI - this resulted in the dreaded "HFS+ Partition Error" problem. Presently that partition is set to type AF, and the XP partition is bootable. They're both primary volumes.

Here's the fun thing - If I boot from the DVD, and make the installed OSX partition the Startup Disk, the partition boots fine, however then I can't boot to XP unless I fdisk the XP partition back to the bootable partition.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Thanks,
-Hippy

samba

samba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the simple way that worked for me: (not know if it's the easiest though)
XP already installed, made free space after c: for OSX, after the install of 10.4.3 1111, went to Pref - Startup and select OSX, edited /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
and added these lines
way to do it:
1. open teminal and type:
sudo -s
nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
2.add
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>

quit and restart
normaly you shoul have 10s to press F8 and then you got your Darwin bootloader :)

Zandig

Zandig

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

the simple way that worked for me: (not know if it's the easiest though)
XP already installed, made free space after c: for OSX, after the install of 10.4.3 1111, went to Pref - Startup and select OSX, edited /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
and added these lines
way to do it:
1. open teminal and type:
sudo -s
nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist
2.add
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>10</string>

quit and restart
normaly you shoul have 10s to press F8 and then you got your Darwin bootloader :D

Even with no timeout set, I can hit F8 to get to the Darwin boot prompt.

blimbo

blimbo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I read that chain0 locates the HFS+ partition and proceeds to boot from it. I'm going to have XP on one disk, Linux on another and OSx86 on a third.. will chain0 search for HFS across multiple disks?

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
Sure I have chain0 file in my WinXP disk (that it is a RAID/SATA setup) and the Mac OS X Disk in the PATA channel, and it loads perfectly.

viriiman

viriiman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
My guide to multibooting OSX and XP

Step 1) Formatted Laptop
Step 2) Put OSX Cd in drive
Step 3) As soon as the disc boots up, go into the disk manager and create two partitions (OSX and XP)
Step 4) Formatted the first partiton for the Mac OS
Step 5) formatted the second parition for XP
Step 6) Install OS X onto first parition
Step 7) Install XP onto second parition
Step 8) Boot off of the OSX install disk
Step 9) As soon as the disc boots up and you're in the installer, go into the tools and change the startup disc back to the Mac parition
Step 10) Reboot
Step 11) When you get to the Mac screen that says "Press F8 for options", press F8. You should see both OS's there.
Step 12) Choose the OS you want to boot
Step 13) Enjoy

Please note, in step 11, if you don't press anything the computer will automatically boot into OSX after several seconds (you'll see a timer count down)

Solidcell

Solidcell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My endeavor is pathetic at best. But it's well founded, I don't trust XP. I figured it would be best to make it it's own topic as to not have this thread deviate. http://forum.osx86pr...?showtopic=6792

Edited by Solidcell, 13 January 2006 - 07:01 AM.

trixxie

trixxie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
The best way, fastest and simplyest.
http://forum.osx86pr...?showtopic=6890

best regards

cellphonegeek

cellphonegeek

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i get an error after trying to boot and install. its says that com.apple.Boot.plist is not found...

Youbecha

Youbecha

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I seem to have the same issue as these folks...maybe...

I have a fully working OSx86 with the Darwin boot loader that of course loads OSx86 by default...because that is in the first partition and XP is in the second.

I have tried changing the boot disk in OSx preferences...but it simply shows "invalid boot disk" upon the boot...and then I also lose the Darwin loader...I have to fdisk reset primary partion to boot etc.

Anywho...I would simply like the default boot to be XP...and if I hit a button THEN I could select OSx...

Other than using Acronis...is their a way to tell Darwin to do it?

i1sam

i1sam

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
hi... anyone have try this one..???

http://www.osloader.com/screens.htm

can this work dual boot with osx86 and xp??

iBenshi

iBenshi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I've got exactly the same problem. I've copied the chain0 file to my c-drive. Adjusted the boot.ini and it just returns to the XP bootscreen.

rufiopan

rufiopan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

My guide to multibooting OSX and XP

Step 1) Formatted Laptop
Step 2) Put OSX Cd in drive
Step 3) As soon as the disc boots up, go into the disk manager and create two partitions (OSX and XP)
Step 4) Formatted the first partiton for the Mac OS
Step 5) formatted the second parition for XP
Step 6) Install OS X onto first parition
Step 7) Install XP onto second parition
Step 8) Boot off of the OSX install disk
Step 9) As soon as the disc boots up and you're in the installer, go into the tools and change the startup disc back to the Mac parition
Step 10) Reboot
Step 11) When you get to the Mac screen that says "Press F8 for options", press F8. You should see both OS's there.
Step 12) Choose the OS you want to boot
Step 13) Enjoy
Please note, in step 11, if you don't press anything the computer will automatically boot into OSX after several seconds (you'll see a timer count down)

Virii, do these steps really work? My understanding was that a successful install of XP requires that it be run from the default boot partition (the first partition?).

Edited by rufiopan, 19 January 2006 - 04:46 AM.

DrJgermeister

DrJgermeister

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:Sex, drugs and rock &amp; roll

Virii, do these steps really work? My understanding was that a successful install of XP requires that it be run from the default boot partition (the first partition?).

I always installed OSX86 first like you do on a DTK, that works (but OSX86 and M$ have a primary partition):
http://forum.osx86pr...?showtopic=3853

Edited by DrJgermeister, 19 January 2006 - 11:03 AM.

pixolpower

pixolpower

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I allready have 2 ntfs partitions c:/ win xp home d:/ just data..

Is it possible to install OS X on the third partitions as i read everywhere that it must have 2 partitions ?

bkmarks

bkmarks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dual boot with GRUB

http://forum.osx86pr...showtopic=6007#

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy