Run AppleTV on your intel mac - uses local media or acts as a standalone appleTV, can QUIT

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,075 posts
DsurioN, nice work :)

This looks like the best guide so far.

semaja2

semaja2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a solution that you can use to make a way to exit the TV, simply put...

A small daemon that is a startup item, its opens the apple remote in non exclusive mode and waits for the menu hold signal, at that point it will logout the user.

I can have a that daemon whipped up in a few minutes if someone wants it made...

GBK.Xscape

GBK.Xscape

Carpe Deim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
i want it, please!!!!!!
yea this was a piece of cake to get up and running, thanks for the guide! i cant wait to put this to use

semaja2

semaja2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok well ill get cracking on it right away then, nothing fancy it will just be a minor app and yeh ill have it in about 10-20 mins just need to do a bit of R&D and then ill post a beta for you guys to test while i get my own setup working

GBK.Xscape

GBK.Xscape

Carpe Deim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
i just got video output working with the dvi-svideo cord and i hooked up the sound to my surround sound system. man this is awesome, i just saved myself $300 dollars. i am streaming from my hackintosh in my brothers room. is there a way to make this play divx or xvid files?

semaja2

semaja2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok i got a prototype coded, just used my base apple remote code to build it so pardon the well left overs :)

i didnt have enough time to think of a easy way to log a user out so i just made it tell the app finder to quit (yes i used {censored} code just to speed my dev up) so im assuming this will hopefully work

all you need to do is place it in the startup items and it should be ready to go when you log into that user, just hold down the menu button and it will quit finder and hopefully put you back to your old desktop, i can make it just fast user switch instead if you guys want.

http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.zip
http://files.semaja2...leTV.source.zip

so yes please get back to me on your results, and if you know how to log a user out please do tell me :D

PS. ill work on a newer version that lets you set what u want to happen (quit/switchuser/logout)

GBK.Xscape

GBK.Xscape

Carpe Deim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
how do i place this in the startup items?
anyone??

semaja2

semaja2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok well i did some experiments on my machine after installing it and it seems more complicated then what i expected, will take some more experimenting

im thinking the process might need to be killed completely :S and that might not even work...

lord_muad_dib

lord_muad_dib

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,398 posts
appleScript+shortcut?

semaja2

semaja2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well ill do more testing on the remote system to see if its even working, then its just a matter of finding a command to kill the appleTV (i even used ARD to try to log a user off or lock screen all that stuff and none of it worked)

hackand

hackand

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
I think I might have found a potential solution to use the media on local Apple TV installs, that is, one-computer setups that want to run aTV as Front Row. I found this over at Awkward TV, I think it could work, but honestly, I can't understand it. If someone smarter than me is willing to simplify this a bit for the rest of us, we might have a solution and I'd appreciate it a lot :)

semaja2

semaja2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok minor success so far, you cant kill the finder process because it relaunches, but you can kill the login window to log it out...

sudo killall loginwindow

this will logout all users btw, working on automating a way to kill it only for a specified user, now ive also noticed applications dont launch when the finder loads... so its going to be hard to make it work still without another machine

this works:

ps ux -U brad | grep loginwindow | awk '{print "sudo kill " $2""}' |sh

ptaylor

ptaylor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

You'll only see the device in iTunes if you go to Sources -> and then (if you want to stream) "connect to another itunes" and if you want to sync, go to the syncing menu item (i forget exactly since I'm not in appleTV right now). You'll get a screen with a number on it, and then you have to enter that code in iTunes. It worked perfectly for me and my other computer sees it as a 170 gig apple TV! :)

That's just it though - I am going to that screen in AppleTV and leaving it there with the numbers up on it while I go to my wife's Mac. There, I don't see what to do in iTunes to get it to recognize the AppleTV... Where in iTunes do you enter that code?

DsurioN

DsurioN

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Make sure in the iTunes preferences you have "look for apple TV's" enabled and then it should show up in the source menu on the left. It worked for me... After that you just click on the apple TV on the menu and enter the code. (if you just selected streaming, the icon will disappear again, if you selected "sync" it will start uploading to the 'appleTV'.

semaja2

semaja2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok heres the working dameon (Failed again... seems the AppleTV doesnt behave nicely, tested using a normal finder but fails in using the AppleTV version):

download : http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.zip
source : http://files.semaja2...leTV.source.zip
(I hope even know it failed i hope it sparks a idea in someones head)

Now place it into your applications folder (you can change this but you need to change the below commands)

Now open the terminal and enter (replace the appletv user with the short name of your appleTV user): sudo /Applications/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon -user appletv

It will ask you for your password enter it and it launches, now fast user switch to your appleTV account and enjoy, when finished hold down "menu" until it returns you to the login screen

PS. i take no blame for any damage caused for using this daemon and will not be accountable for anything that may come of it
PSS. sorry if theres bugs or whatnot but im coding this very late at night and in a rush
PSSS. this can also be used to log out of your own user quickly :)

TsubakiSama

TsubakiSama

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
AppleTV works very nice on my Intel C2D 17" iMac :D

vhrocks

vhrocks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok heres the working dameon (Failed again... seems the AppleTV doesnt behave nicely, tested using a normal finder but fails in using the AppleTV version):

download : http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.zip
source : http://files.semaja2...leTV.source.zip
(I hope even know it failed i hope it sparks a idea in someones head)

Now place it into your applications folder (you can change this but you need to change the below commands)

Now open the terminal and enter (replace the appletv user with the short name of your appleTV user): sudo /Applications/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon -user appletv

It will ask you for your password enter it and it launches, now fast user switch to your appleTV account and enjoy, when finished hold down "menu" until it returns you to the login screen

PS. i take no blame for any damage caused for using this daemon and will not be accountable for anything that may come of it
PSS. sorry if theres bugs or whatnot but im coding this very late at night and in a rush
PSSS. this can also be used to log out of your own user quickly :D

Does this work? Or did you edit the post to say it failed?

DsurioN

DsurioN

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I've come upon a keyboard shortcut recently:

shift-option-command-esc

This is supposed to quit the frontmost app, i'm not at home right now so i can't test it, but if you try this on your normal user (just double-clicking on the hacked Finder.app) and try the keyboard shortcut, might work.

macprodan

macprodan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
cant seem to get it to work, the finder with no extensions wont let it be sudo'd. ?

GBK.Xscape

GBK.Xscape

Carpe Deim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
hey tried the shift option command esc and got nothing, i even tried it in my regular install and got nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy