10.4.3 broadcom wireless effort

sportman

235 posts in this topic

what card were you using? what build? please explain...

My previous posts on this thread explain that; I originally had a miniPCI Broadcom 4306, which of course no longer functions in 10.4.3. I just bought a miniPCI RT2500 chipset based card to replace it with, which didn't work either. The RaLink driver didn't load, the RaLink utility didn't detect a card, the system profiler shows no PCI cards or airport cards. Then I discovered (stupid me) that I must have accidentally deleted the IO80211family.kext before (And no, I'm running build 8F1099, not 8F1111). So I added that kext in, but no luck still. Reinstalled the RaLink driver (several versions) but no luck there either. The card isn't even detected. So I'm wondering if my miniPCI bus isn't functioning in 10.4.3 anymore. Any chance of that?

----------------

By the way, the reason I'm posting in this thread is because I've got a Broadcom 4309 coming in the mail next week and I'm wanting to figure out ahead of time if that is even going to work if my RaLink card isn't being detected.

Edited by theweaselslayer

I have a 4318, put in IO80211Family in Extensions, changed Brcm4311's plist to have 4318, did sudo chmod and chown, kextload (loaded), try putting Brcm4311 in IONetworking, didnt work, did chmod chown etc

(sudo chmod 755 file.kext, sudo chown -R root:wheel file.kext)

Can anybody post a instruction how to (step-by-step) get my wireless at work? I have got a "Dell TrueMobile 1300 MiniPCI" (Broadcom). I think that it works with 10.4.1 but I'm using 10.4.3 and I have no idea how to get it at work. Thanks :(

It definatly works in 10.4.1 as i have it and it worked.

It definatly doesn't work in 10.4.3 just yet,

A combined genius is working on it as we speak be patient the best thing come to those who wait....

My previous posts on this thread explain that; I originally had a miniPCI Broadcom 4306, which of course no longer functions in 10.4.3. I just bought a miniPCI RT2500 chipset based card to replace it with, which didn't work either. The RaLink driver didn't load, the RaLink utility didn't detect a card, the system profiler shows no PCI cards or airport cards. Then I discovered (stupid me) that I must have accidentally deleted the IO80211family.kext before (And no, I'm running build 8F1099, not 8F1111). So I added that kext in, but no luck still. Reinstalled the RaLink driver (several versions) but no luck there either. The card isn't even detected. So I'm wondering if my miniPCI bus isn't functioning in 10.4.3 anymore. Any chance of that?

----------------

By the way, the reason I'm posting in this thread is because I've got a Broadcom 4309 coming in the mail next week and I'm wanting to figure out ahead of time if that is even going to work if my RaLink card isn't being detected.

from what ive read, the ralink drivers dont work for pci yet.

Hi!

I've just installed 8F1111. I switched from 10.4.1 where my Broadcom 1450 (4324) worked flawlessly. I can't seem to get it to work in the new version though. I tried to download the IOFamily, put it in the Extensions-folder, cmod, chown and it loads. Under airport in system preferences i get the following:

Type: AiportExtreme

Enviroment: USA

Version: 100.2 (3.120.x)

Network: AirPotr is turned off

How is everyone else doin? Any using the Broadcom 1450 with 8F1111?

Okay, I just installed my Dell Truemobile 1450 today in 8F1111 with the 80122 kext added. It was detected as an Airport Extreme, but it said the link was down and I could not make it turn on. I played around with the airport commands in the terminal and then tried using iStumbler, and somewhere between the two, it grabbed an IP from the DHCP server as the built-in ethernet card. Everything worked fine, although the LED was not lit. After I rebooted, it no longer worked. Then things started randomly crashing, so I decided to format and reinstall. I installed 8F1099 and the LED lit up upon the first boot, it asked me which network to connect to, so I chose mine and it worked for a few minutes, and then the LED shut off once again. After that, I could not make it work. I have rebooted several times, but to no avail. Also, the airport commands no longer work in the terminal, assuming I'm typing them right. It says it cannot find such a command as "airport". At any rate, I do have an airport icon in the menu, but it says not configured and will not show up in the network panel. All I get is "built-in ethernet" (my real built-in ethernet card is not detected) and it will not grab an IP, nor will it function with a manual IP. The radio simply doesn't turn on.

UPDATE

I got wireless working after all. I formatted and reinstalled OS X 10.4.3 8F1099. It worked at first (by allowing me to select which access point during setup and then browse the web, but the signal meter was non-functional), but of course it did not survive the reboot. However, I installed iStumbler and it came back to life! It does show up as a built-in ethernet device, but it allows me to change all those options freely. The signal meter of course still does not function, but you can use the one in iStumbler. Also you must leave iStumbler running at all times, but that is a small price to pay for working wireless in .3. I am wondering, however, why some users are getting built-in complete compatibility, while others such as myself need to use third-party programs or other "hacks".

Long story short, I can confirm that the Dell TrueMobile 1450 does indeed work in OS X 10.4.3.

f1r3f1ght3r was totally right!! you rock f1r3f1ght3r!! dell truemobile 1450 works like a charm on 128bit WEP too. i dont recommend following my earlier post with the ebay link cause it took 2 weeks for the card to arrive .. .. but the price was good and i'm in safari right now

just to recap:

confirming f1r3f1ght3r and seconding weasel slayer's findings

i've got 1450 (broadcom 4309) working no problem in 099 10.4.3 build

this is on

thinkpad a31

p4 1.6ghz (hold the celery this one's for take out!)

native

under airport card in sys prefs it says:

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 100.2 (3.120.x)

Current Wireless Network: NEWMEDIA

Wireless Channel: 6

weaselslayer i'm not sure why you need istumbler maybe because you are adding that 80211 kext. i recommend leaving the kexts alone if you are running the 1450

(as for my built-in ethernet, its working (intel) but i did have to drop my built-in ethernet down to 10 mbs half duplex to get it to work)

i would say check the mac address on your built-in ethernet to be sure its not your truemobile being detected as the built-in by accident. i remember another post where someone had a broadcom based wireless running by tricking the os into thinking it was the built-in ethernet. maybe thats happening on your machine and you don't want it to. . ..

ps--i've added the 1450 to the 10.4.3 hcl wiki

I'm still wondering why I need to run iStumbler but you and others are able to use the built-in OS X software...

I agree with celery.

I did not touch any of the kext.

For example... I'm traveling for the holiday.... got to the hotel last night... fire up OSX... a warning screen popped up and told me my preffered networks were not available. Would I like to connect to "XXXXXX".

I did... worked great.

ff

by the way.... Merry Christmas!

I too just ordered a dell 1450 wireless nic, hope it works. It's cheaper than the one i had planned to purchase, so won't be a huge problem if it doesn't work.

I noticed the people that have it running are using 1099, can anyone confirm if it works (or doesn't) with 8f1111a?

i just ordered one too, made for a great use of the money i got fro christmas :). wish me luck

I too just ordered a dell 1450 wireless nic, hope it works. It's cheaper than the one i had planned to purchase, so won't be a huge problem if it doesn't work.

I noticed the people that have it running are using 1099, can anyone confirm if it works (or doesn't) with 8f1111a?

from what i have seen, people just have problems with 1111, i would use 1099 just to be sure.

It appears two types of Broadcom cards work with 10.4.3 (I'm testing with 1111g, so I'm assuming 1099 works as well):

Dell TruMobile 1400 and Dell TruMobile 1450.

As others have said, the 1450 card work correctly out-of-the box, though I wish someone would confirm whether they work out of the box in 1111/g or not..

The 1400s work, but require the use of the "airport" command line to get them to associate. The signal strength meter and other wireless management functions are broken with 1400 cards. This is due to some incompatibility in ClientController (in ClientController.bundle, in Apple80211.framework). I tried using 10.4.1's ClientController, but it wouldn't load at all.

I *think* that 10.4.3's ClientController is looking for certain status information from the wireless card. For 1450 cards, the information is correct and in the correct location. For 1400 cards, the information is not. Since it received incorrect info, ClientController thinks the card is powered off. My System Profiler shows:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme

Wireless Card Locale: Worldwide

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 100.2 (3.120.x)

Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

all the time...

I'm not real sure how the .bundle architecture gets loaded, so I've got no idea how to get ClientController to work with 1400s right now.

Some random info: My TruMobile 1400 shows as a "Broadcom 4306" in XP's wireless management utility, but then shows a PCI DEV ID of 4324, and the chips themselves have 4309 screened on them. Talk about multiple personalities!

op

EDIT: The "broken signal strength meter" problem is not what I originally thought. The problem seems to occur when the on-board ethernet connection is not recognized. My pure guess is that the ClientController bundle was never designed for a system with *only* an airport interface, and gets confused easily. Thats a complete WAG, so take it for what its worth..

Ive just Ordered 1450 mini pci from Ebay im running 8f1111a so as soon as it gets here ill post if it works or not..

Compaq Evo N1000v with Dell Truemobile 1300 (worked in 10.4.1 Broken in 8f1111)

P.S is it the mini pci or the normal slide in the side truemobile 1450 that is working, As they both exist as 1450 Truemobile.

Edited by Braveheart