HP nc8430 (just acquired, need to complete) EXPERIENCES HERE!

thevoiceover

59 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, installing normally on its own partition (no VMware) I can't get the ethernet to work using the drivers from this post or others I have found. Display @ 1680x1050 works though. Intresting fact, bluetooth works in both 10.4 and 10.5, but my bluetooth headphones won't work or pair correctly with 10.4, so I have no sound card in either version. Basically your 100% crippled from my experience with 10.5. However I may be doing something wrong...?

I have not played with 10.5 anymore (after I originally installed it when it first hit) so I have not been able to try EFI, but I wouldn't mind getting to that. Maybe someone can get a string to get audio working this route. I did however try my bluetooth headphones in 10.5 (moto s9) and they worked fine (A2DP) so I finally had sound on this box. I had to wipe it after a few days and haven't installed OSX again - but I wanted to give you an update that this was working for me in 10.5 (having sound).

TVO

BTW: Anyone tried PCEFI on this LT?

I am using EFI8 on Tiger, but not Leopard yet. There was some distro I installed back in 10.4.6 maybe that sound worked, but it was choppy. This was the closest I have gotten to that. What distro of 10.5 are you running "thevoiceover" & "ZoSo"?

For ethernet - HP_NX9420_AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zipi set mac address manuallysudo ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xxsudo ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Easy way to automate this:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry147065Network Preferences still shows 00s on the MAC but it does work. ifconfig shows the spoofed MAC -- verified by checking my ARP tables. Random notes on NC8430 Leopard install:Video: KEXT referenced earlier in this thread works fine in Leopard. Dual display works if you boot with the second display connected (only tested DVI via docking station) There's a couple issues though:
  • Dual display will work if you boot the machine with the second display plugged in. I was testing on a DVI port via the nc8430 docking station. The only glitch here is your second display can only display resolutions the nc8430's LCD can handle. Looks like the driver is not able to poll the second display to find out what resolutions it supports. So in other words, you can do dual 1680x1050 just fine but, in my case, I was unable to do 1450x900 since the LCD panel in the 8430 does not support that resolution. Probably fixable by editing the KEXT but I haven't had time to figure it out yet.
  • If you close your lid, your graphics will be corrupt when you open it back up.

Wifi: Decided to just replace the wifi card with a legit Apple 802.11n card. It's located under the trackpad. Not too hard to replace.Sound: No luck here. Using a USB dongle for now. Built in ethernet: Works fine with the BCM5751 KEXT. Set your MAC with ifconfig en0 ether command or you will have trouble connecting to some routers/switches that get upset over zero MACs.Sleep: No. Tried a ton of things. I think it's related to the graphics driver. Going to try switching from ATIinject to EFI GFX string. Battery Meter: I used a Kalaway install disk -- had to modify the PowerManagement bundle to get a battery meter.Dual Core: Had to disable a core. The suggestion to use platform=acpi did not work for me. So overall, the nc8430 is not an ideal OSX86 laptop but I'd rather run a crippled OSX install than a fully working Windows install.

Couple of updates on my progress with the nc8430 (using Kalaway)

• Installed 10.5.2 Kalaway Safe Update. Slowed down boot time considerably. IOKit timeouts in DMESG. ~1M hang at blue screen after initial boot, before desktop.
  • Installed latest (9.2) kernel from Netkas
  • Installed AppleSMBIOS.kext version 1.0.13 ****Had to downgrade, couldn't mount USB storage devices ****
  • Installed Leopard Graphics update
  • Installed modified PowerManagement.bundle for battery status
  • Attempted to use EFI GFX strings (using string from MBP x1600 dumps) Got a black screen on boot. Switched back to ATIinject method. (was hoping GFX strings might fix sleep somehow)
  • Deleted unused kexts in an attempt to improve boot times /w 10.5.2 update (didn't work)
  • Stability is excellent so far.

Unsuccessful solutions for sleep so far:

• Tried hibernatemode 0 & 3 (sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 hibernatefile /dev/null)
  • Tried setting TTYSPreventSleep to 0 in com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
  • Unchecked all wake from sleep options (wake on lan, power button wakes computer, etc)
  • Disabled wake-on-lan options in BIOS
  • Disabled USB legacy support in BIOS
  • Tried pmset lidwake 0 and using the power button to wake from sleep
  • Installed InsomniaX to prevent sleep on lid close -- still corrupts graphics when lid is opened.

I am using EFI8 on Tiger, but not Leopard yet. There was some distro I installed back in 10.4.6 maybe that sound worked, but it was choppy. This was the closest I have gotten to that. What distro of 10.5 are you running "thevoiceover" & "ZoSo"?

10.5.1 kalyway

So I found out over the weekend you cannot replace the wifi card in the NC8430. If you use an "unapproved" card the system will halt at POST with the error of "Unsupported wireless card detected. System halted"

When did PC makers start becoming such control freaks? I can only use hardware on a blessed white list? What the {censored}?

• 2 weeks later...

HP Compaq nc8430 with Kalyway Leo 10.5.1 working combination:

Install: CPUS=1 in BIOS, plist or prompt. Use MBR in partition options.

Kalyway customizations: post-210719-1207517506_thumb.jpg

For Ethernet: HP_NX9420_AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

For ATI X1600: hpnx9420_atix1600mob_atiinjectkexts.zip

10.5.1: post-210719-1207517820_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to all driver producers, you are great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I have a nc8430 too and I did some testing in the last few days to know if this laptop can run correctly OSX. By this message, I want to share with you my overal experience with setuping a nc8430 with OSX.

I will go through my entire setup to help everyone who wants to give a try to OSX.

First my partitionning is like this:

1st primary: Windows XP Pro (NTFS)

2nd primary: Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 (HFS+)

Extended: One big NTFS for data share between OS

I went into some trouble to be able to create my HFS+ partition using Diskutil in Leopard. Instead, I used PartedMagic 2.1, this open source program base on gparted is able to create HFS+ partition.

Dual boot setup is done using XP OS loader. To be able to get this working I added to my boot.ini the following "C:\chain0="OSX86". After, I got a copy of chain0 from the wiki. No need to use any 3rd party OS loader.

Added the following kexts:

Graphic:

hpnx9420_atix1600mob_atiinject.kexts

Note: No more video glitch. Full video support (1680x1050)

Network:

HP_NX9420_AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Sound:

AppleAzaliaAudioADI1981_Installer.v2.zip

Note: This new installer enable the sound perfectly. Still some work to do, because for now, headphones and mic doesn't work.

Bios Settings :

Dual cpus = ENABLE

Virtualization = DISABLE

To be able to boot correctly with dual cpus enable, I changed my boot configuation by editing the following files com.apple.Boot.plist

Just added CPUS=1 under Kernel flags. To be able to install OSX I disabled the dual cpus flags in bios and re-enabled it once I changed my Boot.plist.

BCM5751 kext doesn't load automaticaly with 10.5.2. So, I added "kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext" in /etc/rc.local to be able to have my network card active automaticaly.

For now, this setup is working but is unstable for some unknow reason yet. I will investigate further next week. Maybe one kext is causing some issue.

Current issue to fix :

- Stabiltity

- Dual screens (doesn't work even if second screen is attached before booting)

- Sounds (headphones, mic)

Bios Settings :Dual cpus = ENABLEVirtualization = DISABLETo be able to boot correctly with dual cpus enable, I changed my boot configuation by editing the following files com.apple.Boot.plistJust added CPUS=1 under Kernel flags. To be able to install OSX I disabled the dual cpus flags in bios and re-enabled it once I changed my Boot.plist.
This trick doesn't seem to work. I tried to disable dual cpus in bios and now everything runs smootly. No glitch, with stability.
Current issue to fix :- Stabiltity- Dual screens (doesn't work even if second screen is attached before booting)- Sounds (headphones, mic)
Stability is fixed if I force in bios to run only on one cpu.Dual screens need more work to be fully workingSounds still lacking of major updates to get headphones and mic working.
thevoiceover: Can you post your boot.plist?How come some people can't get dual core working, unlike thevoiceover? Is it a question of which version you use, Tiger or Leo?
Maybe the bios version has something to do with it. If voiceover can give us his firmware version of his bios this can help to understand our issue.On my side i'm running F.15 and I can't have both cores working

• 5 months later...

I have an NC8430 and NW8440 and have them fully functional with the exception of only can use one core and looking into this and the wireless card 3945abg card under Leopard 10.5.5. Please see the attached drivers, I used the JAS 10.5.4 install with no options selected except the bear minimum which the dvd already did for me. Did a clean erase of my OSX partition, when install was finished it did not detect the trackpad or keyboard so be prepared to have a USB Keyboard and Mouse. Finish the install and then start installing these drivers, they worked for me and at the moment the EDID has already been put in for the NW8440. But the EDID is in a text file fro the NC8430. This also contains audio drivers, the PS2 keyboard/mouse fix, PC Card, and of course video drivers. Hope this can help some of you out. This has been a long time of searching and learning to compile these. Enjoy and the screen is full res at 1600x1050, with full DVD support. I want to thank all of the folks that produced these drivers (sorry I do not remember all the folks on the list). But enjoy OSX to the fullest.

Archive.zip

Video.zip

Ohh my good!!!

This is cool!

I move to home and test this!!!

One question:

My Notebook is Compaq NW8440 but display native res is 1920x1200.

You display native res is same?

And you install Jas 10.5.4 and upgrade to 10.5.5, or stay in 10.5.4?

Thank You this hard work!

Best Regards!

roberTO

• 3 weeks later...

I am glad to hear that my posts might be helping some, I am sure the native res on the nw8440 is like you suggested at 1900x1200, but the 1680x1050 does look beautiful. I have no complaints everything looks very nice and high def. If you need to find your EDID, you can get it (especially if you have vista) you can download softddc or something like that, when I find the download I will see if they will let me post it. Let me know if I can help any of you with nc8430 or nw8440. I also installed JAS 10.5.4 and then updated to 10.5.5 and let me tell you the time machine is awesome really looks cool.

Take care!

Hi!

I get my NW8440 ATI Mobility X1600 internal LCD is workin 1920x1200 QE/CI Resolution switch!!!!!

Also, Sound, Onboard LAN, PCCard, etc...

I use 10.5.5 All updates, Vanila kernel, others...

Thank you all the works, tips, etc... everyone!

I create a new topic soon and share my findings, modded kexts, etc...

Best Regards!

And sorry my english... :)

I have an NC8430 and NW8440 and have them fully functional with the exception of only can use one core and looking into this and the wireless card 3945abg card under Leopard 10.5.5. Please see the attached drivers, I used the JAS 10.5.4 install with no options selected except the bear minimum which the dvd already did for me. Did a clean erase of my OSX partition, when install was finished it did not detect the trackpad or keyboard so be prepared to have a USB Keyboard and Mouse. Finish the install and then start installing these drivers, they worked for me and at the moment the EDID has already been put in for the NW8440. But the EDID is in a text file fro the NC8430. This also contains audio drivers, the PS2 keyboard/mouse fix, PC Card, and of course video drivers. Hope this can help some of you out. This has been a long time of searching and learning to compile these. Enjoy and the screen is full res at 1600x1050, with full DVD support. I want to thank all of the folks that produced these drivers (sorry I do not remember all the folks on the list). But enjoy OSX to the fullest.

I have an NC8430... I put the EDID in but I end up with a black screen. If I hit the lid close button I see a blue screen (no mouse cursor)

Any ideas?

Ati or Nvidia?

ATI. Just the built in display (for now)

terabyte:

Would you be so kind as to post the ATIinject.kext for the 8430 with the EDID already interested? I might just be interesting it wrong. (used PList Editor, put it into the LVDS key)

ATI. Just the built in display (for now)

terabyte:

Would you be so kind as to post the ATIinject.kext for the 8430 with the EDID already interested? I might just be interesting it wrong. (used PList Editor, put it into the LVDS key)

I have nw8440 Internal LCD 1920x1200. ATI X1600 Mobility.

Same as Your Notebook, i think.... (My Bios DSDT table said my BIOS is 8430...)

Attach my edited ATIinject, ATINDRV, Framebuff... Kext pack.

Test it!

roberTO

Atiinject_nw8440_1920x1200_10.5.5.zip

:)

I have nw8440 Internal LCD 1920x1200. ATI X1600 Mobility.

Same as Your Notebook, i think.... (My Bios DSDT table said my BIOS is 8430...)

Attach my edited ATIinject, ATINDRV, Framebuff... Kext pack.

Test it!

roberTO

Atiinject_nw8440_1920x1200_10.5.5.zip

:(

My compilation for NW8440:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=136421

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

If you close your lid and re-open it do you get graphics corruption? This was the major problem I was running into with the 8430 in the past.