"Fry" Electronics, California "People returning new PC's w/Vista

43 posts in this topic

From what I understand, they are returning PC's in DROVES.....

Just thought you should know....

Also read a rumor that the new logic might have a touch screeen mixer, similar to iPHONE where mixing is done on the screen...would be plausible on say a iMAC, similar....

hard to say, just a rumor.

I don't know why it reminds ME of the switch to Intel Macs. ;)

Nice rumor, but speaking as someone who has actually TRIED Vista, I can say that I haven't had any major issues with things not working, and I actually upgraded to Vista. My friend who bought a new Vista PC has had even fewer problems, since it was built and configured with Vista in mind.

Also, I think most people rush out and buy anything new without doing the research. ANY early adopters are going to have a lot problems. Whether it's a new iPod, and new Mac, and new Windows operating system, whatever.

If you're not willing to deal with the problems, don't buy it so early. Unfortunately, most people have no clue how hardware or software works, and they don't understand what they're getting into. There are just as many problems when there is a new OSX release, but Mac users are zealots who would never talk bad about Apple, and Windows users are in the habit of blaming Microsoft for everything from a virus to the fact that they forgot to plug in their mouse, so that is the main difference.

Edited by Vertigo50

Completly agree with Vertigo50. There are people out there who do blame M$ for every little problem they have on there machines.

I am running Vista at work, and have been now since the very begining, and sure, there have been problems, and there still are. It takes a while for other companies to come up to speed when a new OS comes out. As for all the little things I have heard people complain about Vista, a lot of the things can be *turned off* with a simple Google search.

I am not a "M$ is the best, all others suck" kind of guy, but I also dont blame M$ for all the problems I might have with my machines. It was my choice to buy and use Windows, and I knew going into it that it was a much wide used OS, and of course with anything like that, there will be people out there who want to make others miserable.

Anyways, my :afro:

ben

Do you know what brands are affected? Or just the "GQ" brand which is Fry's own line?

They said HP, Gateway, etc......laptops and desktops and you know that laptops require a 15% open fee, so people must be really peeved.

Like one reviewer said, iLife is so intergrated whereas MS you have all these 3rd party developers where nothing quite works together.

Oh well.

Why don't people stay with Windows XP, it doesn't crash much instead of switching to Winblows Blista

:D remember when xp went gold? it was the same way.... wait till vista sp1.... ittl become more useable.... i still use xp x64

Imagines Vista Boot-up

*presses On button*

*2 Seconds later...*

*Vista icon appears, does the Glow effect and sound thing*

*Logs in*

*BAM!, Blue Screen of death saying:

YOUR SCREWED!

:D

......hmm? Oh, I'm sorry, I must have fallen asleep waiting for some kind of evidence that this is actually happening and not just a rumor the OP made up. :(

Still, it makes a great story, huh? Especially when you're so insecure about the laughable insignifigance of your operating system that you have to make up horror stories about the competition just to make yourself feel better.

Imagines Vista Boot-up

*presses On button*

*2 Seconds later...*

*Logs in*

YOUR SCREWED!

:hysterical:

Good one there pal. :P

I've yet to hear someone say they've gotten a blue screen during a Vista startup. Even if there was some validity to your post, it was a pretty lousy attempt at being witty.

Imagines Vista Boot-up

*presses On button*

*2 Seconds later...*

*Logs in*

YOUR SCREWED!

:blink:

I'm sorry. Are you F-ing stupid? Why don't you try Vista before bashing it. I never had a BSD with XP let alone Vista. Don't press the reply button unless you have something important to say.

Imagines Vista Boot-up

*presses On button*

*2 Seconds later...*

*Logs in*

YOUR SCREWED!

:thumbsup_anim:

Actually this has happened to me about 4 times, thats even with the MS nvidia driver it happened so it's not FUD I guarantee.

User2 - Either you're lying, magical pixies lived inside your computer, or the only thing you ever did to your computer is write letters in notepad and print then to a Canon BJ10 with the built in driver. I have never in my life met a person who has claimed to not have had a BSOD of some kind or another, (Including System has become unstable, pres any key or hit CTRL ALT DEL etc).

The joke was {censored}, and mostly unfunny. But no operating system is truly stable. I have had GSOD's on my Apple Hack several times (While making low level OS modifications only) although never on my PPC macs. The fact is the Mac OS X and the other Unices are not perfect, they have vulnerabilites and security issues (Well, except for openBSD perhaps). It's just that on average, windows has been demonstrated o have alot more. There have not been that many good reports about Vista. There have been "It's better" reports, and there have been "It's worse" reports. Whoever compared it with the PPC-Intel Mac transition are right on the button. All new tech invariably has teething troubles. Over the next 12 months, we will see what Vista is really made of. (Well, it's made of Windows XP with a few debilitating kernel patches and an accelerated GUI - But that's not to say that's not a very good thing.) I'm hoping that it turns out to be a stable, and reasonably secure OS. I'm not holding out MUCH hope, but I do. It's about time Microsoft got off their asses and put out another Windows 2000, instead of 98, 98SE, ME, XPSP0, XPSP1.

Oh and don't get me started on panther. Blegh. >.<

User2 - Either you're lying, magical pixies lived inside your computer, or the only thing you ever did to your computer is write letters in notepad and print then to a Canon BJ10 with the built in driver. I have never in my life met a person who has claimed to not have had a BSOD of some kind or another, (Including System has become unstable, pres any key or hit CTRL ALT DEL etc)....

He didn't say he's never had a BSOD of some kind or another, he said he's never had one with Vista or XP, and neither have I. That stuff stopped after Windows 98.

Now, most Mac users I know destroy PC's when they use them, because they don't understand that using a computer with the training wheels off requires learning a little about it instead of starting it up and choosing one of 5 options in your favorite iLife application. Stay in the kiddie pool if you want, that's fine. You won't get hurt, but you won't get to do the really cool stuff, either.

And by the way, I've been running my XP machine for two years with no antivirus, no spyware software, and no crashes.

Firefox + firewall + common sense = PC Security.

LMAO. NO it did not stop with 98....

I am a MCSA and run a 500+ computer network of windows machines. BSOD's happen all the time whether they are Microsoft's fault or a third parties fault. You don't even know what kind of headache IE7 caused with all the third party active-x automotive software we use.

No OS is perfect but vista is {censored} atm. Microsoft failed to do as they promised and rebuild windows from the ground up. Now they have this huge resource hog that is going to haunt them much like ME.

LMAO. NO it did not stop with 98....

I am a MCSA and run a 500+ computer network of windows machines. BSOD's happen all the time whether they are Microsoft's fault or a third parties fault. You don't even know what kind of headache IE7 caused with all the third party active-x automotive software we use.

No OS is perfect but vista is {censored} atm. Microsoft failed to do as they promised and rebuild windows from the ground up. Now they have this huge resource hog that is going to haunt them much like ME.

No, you're not a n MCSA, you're a lying fanboy who never touched Vista, and is playing with his iApps and bashing people on one of the few sites Safari renders properly.

No, you're not a n MCSA, you're a lying fanboy who never touched Vista, and is playing with his iApps and bashing people on one of the few sites Safari renders properly.

LOL ok... :unsure: What have I ever said that would make me a fanboy? Hell I dont even use my mac much as most of my time is spent burning DVD's on my XP box. I have also NEVER used safari or any of the iSuite. I use whamb, vlc and firefox on my mac.

Anyways great job at assuming. <3

LOL ok... :unsure: What have I ever said that would make me a fanboy? Hell I dont even use my mac much as most of my time is spent burning DVD's on my XP box.

Anyways great job at assuming. <3

Yep, standard mac zealot proceedure.

1. Look up fancy PC job title.

2. Claim you are one

3. Say how you recently switched

4. Claim macs get you laid 100% more, (which is 0 to 1)

5. Claim you hate PCs now, and that macs are 10000000000000x better and you shoulda switched forever ago.

6. Say how macs are better and you're gonna switch the whole office, because you impressed your boss with your MacB00K.

7. Go on about elegance and {censored}, and say how much less maitenence.

Yep, standard mac zealot proceedure.

1. Look up fancy PC job title.

2. Claim you are one

3. Say how you recently switched

4. Claim macs get you laid 100% more, (which is 0 to 1)

5. Claim you hate PCs now, and that macs are 10000000000000x better and you shoulda switched forever ago.

6. Say how macs are better and you're gonna switch the whole office, because you impressed your boss with your MacB00K.

7. Go on about elegance and {censored}, and say how much less maitenence.

Dude, I do not understand why you are being a {censored} to me. My mac has been less maintanece but it is extremely slow and limited on what it can do. I do not like what i have seen of vista thus far though I havent had more then 5 hours of time to play with a vista machine. Fancy job title??? Ya bro, I worked hard to get where I am and I am still learning. I know windows but we use centos servers so I am learning the *nix side of things. At this point you are completly assuming everything you say and that is fine. I don't understand why you have this hardon for me but to each thier own. :unsure:

Your not a web developer are you?, IE is the crappiest browser to ever grace the internet, standards compliance is not what it understands.

Vista seems to be running fine for me on my MacBook... gets a score of 3.1... better than most other laptops at Fry's. If only I could get Parallels to boot my Vista partition... I would be in heaven.

And to the two that are arguing back and forth about the MCSA... dude, you can always give him the link to your transcript to prove him wrong... I'm sure you know how to do that.

:)