I need something explained: How does Vista look like OSX ?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

robotskip

robotskip

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
You just can't stop, can you ?

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
lol, copy UI layout. x-D , its a user interface, how many goddammed variations can you have, you have a little pointy thing called a pointer, and you click on pictures. Im going to say that Apple and Windows all copied XEROX. Let me go make a thread about that now. :(

Soliber

Soliber

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
If you want to talk about copying features, take a look at that thingamajig in Leopard that let's you switch between like 4 virtual desktops... Very XGL-like if you ask me :(
If you look at how many similar games are produced, you'll realise how bloody difficult it is to be innovative, and yet bring in the greens :)
Look at Okami, one of the most brilliant games ever, and Clover Studios already doesn't exist anymore :)
Copying is the way of the world :)
And seriously, all that stuff about being lightyears ahead of Windows: you have to make fair comparisons. The arguments about being safer and more stable have been said to death, but they're in favor of an OS that's still used by a very narrow margin when put next to Windows. People don't give a sh*t about trying to hack/crack OS X, there's hardly a "market" for it >_> I wonder what would happen if OS X suddenly got the all loving attention Windows gets, from every bloody script kiddy out there :P
And stability: usually, it's the drivers that get Windows on its knees. If OS X would open up to the entire market and Apple had to worry about supporting all the types of hardware out there, like MS does, one can easily imagine what would happen :)
Look at it this way: MS has got a lot more sh*t to deal with in terms of agressive attention, and they can still make something that seems to equal OS X overall :)
I think I'm going to go get a blanket and prepare for a flame ^^

Edited by Soliber, 13 March 2007 - 07:46 PM.

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

lol, copy UI layout. x-D , its a user interface, how many goddammed variations can you have, you have a little pointy thing called a pointer, and you click on pictures. Im going to say that Apple and Windows all copied XEROX. Let me go make a thread about that now. :P

Well Vista background options are very similar to OS X, they even categories it like OS X desktop background. The best thing about it is OS X makes a better job yet again.

If you want to talk about copying features, take a look at that thingamajig in Leopard that let's you switch between like 4 virtual desktops... Very XGL-like if you ask me <_<
If you look at how many similar games are produced, you'll realise how bloody difficult it is to be innovative, and yet bring in the greens :)
Look at Okami, one of the most brilliant games ever, and Clover Studios already doesn't exist anymore :)
Copying is the way of the world :)
And seriously, all that stuff about being lightyears ahead of Windows: you have to make fair comparisons. The arguments about being safer and more stable have been said to death, but they're in favor of an OS that's still used by a very narrow margin when put next to Windows. People don't give a sh*t about trying to hack/crack OS X, there's hardly a "market" for it >_> I wonder what would happen if OS X suddenly got the all loving attention Windows gets, from every bloody script kiddy out there :P
And stability: usually, it's the drivers that get Windows on its knees. If OS X would open up to the entire market and Apple had to worry about supporting all the types of hardware out there, like MS does, one can easily imagine what would happen :)
Look at it this way: MS has got a lot more sh*t to deal with in terms of agressive attention, and they can still make something that seems to equal OS X overall :)
I think I'm going to go get a blanket and prepare for a flame ^^

XGL, what you mean is compiz/Beryl has nothing like Spaces, yes virtual desktops have been around for agers but Apple took it one step more done using composite. The cube is not like Spaces since in Spaces you see all the desktops and drag apps between them, there's doing it and doing it good. Apple tend to show everyone how it's done proper.

Soliber

Soliber

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Of course the cube isn't like in Spaces :P If Apple even made some cube rotating animation, I bet there'd be some linuxers spanking their bottom as we speak :(
I don't know how far Beryl has come now, but with a half year old install, it's possibly to atleast flick your mouse to some corner and see everything going on on that particular desktop. And you can flick apps from one desktop to another through drag and drop, with a cube rotating motion.
So where does Spaces differ: overal thumbnail view, and drag and drop between thumbnails.
[sarcasm]If you listen really well, you can hear me jaw dropping the floor in awe. Such originality and inginuity must be a divine whisper![/sarcasm]
You want proper? Thís is proper: http://wiki.beryl-pr...ki/Desktop_Cube :)
Apple is as much a copycat as Windows is :) They copy from eachother, and Linux copies from both the former and the latter :) Look at the startmenu in OpenSuse, almost totally the same as Vista's :)

Edited by Soliber, 14 March 2007 - 11:20 AM.

Forceman

Forceman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Of course the cube isn't like in Spaces :P If Apple even made some cube rotating animation, I bet there'd be some linuxers spanking their bottom as we speak :D
I don't know how far Beryl has come now, but with a half year old install, it's possibly to atleast flick your mouse to some corner and see everything going on on that particular desktop. And you can flick apps from one desktop to another through drag and drop, with a cube rotating motion.
So where does Spaces differ: overal thumbnail view, and drag and drop between thumbnails.
[sarcasm]If you listen really well, you can hear me jaw dropping the floor in awe. Such originality and inginuity must be a divine whisper![/sarcasm]
You want proper? Thís is proper: http://wiki.beryl-pr...ki/Desktop_Cube :)
Apple is as much a copycat as Windows is :) They copy from eachother, and Linux copies from both the former and the latter :) Look at the startmenu in OpenSuse, almost totally the same as Vista's :)

This is the problem, you think something that IS different is the same when it's not. By the way, a cube animation is in OS X during the setup login and user switching, it's not copying it's just another function which Vista and Beryl dont do.

Soliber

Soliber

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I'm not saying anything about being different, on the contrary; Spaces strikes me as quite similar to Beryl ;) That's the wole subjet of our discussion here :)
Though the point is actually somewhat mute: like I said, everyone copies everyone. As the saying goes: better of copying something well, than inventing something half-assed (loosley translated from the Dutch version :P)

Vertigo50

Vertigo50

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

And lets see how well Vista runs on a 1.2GHz machine. :(

It would be an interesting experiment, but I don't know where you would get one, since that was the state of the art about 6 years ago.

What? Macs are using them today? Hmm.... Well, they do the same thing with games, right? I guess it makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy