I need something explained: How does Vista look like OSX ?

88 posts in this topic

Okay, honestly. I've seen it said thousands of times over the past ~1.5 years about how 'Mac-like' Vista is yet when I ask them to explain no one responds or it's some vague rubbish like 'Oh, it has translucent borders and drop shadows.'

So, I don't want vague rubbish, I want specific things and not stuff like "Oh dear, they both have folders in the left," "RSS feeds look the same !" and "OMG ! THE SPOTLIGHT ICON WAS RIPPED !"

The OSX look (Gel buttons, Aqua, brushed metal, etc) is basically completely difference so that's why I am baffled.

This is about appearance not features.

-----

- To keep this from getting messy please, for the love of all that is good, make your posts in points (Like 1. X is familiar with Y 2. The colour is .. 3. I like monkeys) and try to keep it simple and specific.

- Whether you like me or not is totally unrelated and useless, please don't say any of the generic replies you present to myself, br0adband and others. Just follow the previous thing (Use bullet points or something).

I'm just asking for simple self-constraint, please. Oh, and mods, the second this goes off in to the generic anti-MS BS can you please delete it, thank you. :(

Edited by robotskip

I don't understand it either and Vista looks much better in my opinion.

PS, I like monkeys :rolleyes:

Who doesn't like monkeys ? :whistle:

I also prefer Vista to OSX though I'd take OSX over XP any day.

If Vista was a car it would be a low rider with under floor lights and fluffy dice, os X would be an Aston-Martin.

I know which one I'd rather be driving on a twisty road....

That's the exact vague rubbish I specifically asked not for. :(

PLEASE. :(:unsure:

Edited by robotskip

If Vista was a car it would be a low rider with under floor lights and fluffy dice, os X would be an Aston-Martin.

I know which one I'd rather be driving on a twisty road....

So why would people say my low rider is trying to copy Aston-Martin, that is the question :rolleyes:

Vista looks nothing like OS X in my opinion.

And it works nothing like OS X either.

Vista uses DirectX 10, which in my opinion, while being powerful, if clumsy.

Vista is a resource hog. Most people, if they want to upgrade, need to upgrade their hardware first to fully enjoy what Vista has to offer, and even still, it's still a resource hog. When you buy a new Mac nowadays, it already comes with hardware needed and that very same hardware will last for some time before needing any major upgrades to support the full functionality of an OS.

Vista's Windows Management Service is extrememly buggy. My GFX card was fully supported to allow Aero, and yet the Windows Management Service would lock up and return my theme to Vista Basic. And it wouldn't allow me to change back unless I restarted the service or the machine.

Vista limits DRM media at all points. This utilizes even more resources that could be used elsewhere.

Vista is pretty to say the least, I'd love to have a "glass" Finder theme for OS X. I think that would make OS X truly beautiful, while still retaining that Finder feel.

And I like monkeys too.

That's the exact vague rubbish I specifically asked not for. :(

PLEASE. :(:unsure:

It's a metaphor; a short hand way of communicating complex ideas. Saves me banging on about the benefits of having a clean, slick interface wrapped around a powerful OS; as opposed to the vista way of a clunky brash thing that wastes a lot of energy to go nowhere fast because it's too busy scanning for viruses and checking that you are not trying to rip a movie etc etc etc

http://lifehacker.com/software/top/windows...os-x-179909.php

Edited by consolation

the article consolation pointed out is very significant.

...but not too much.

I think the question for a user is: would it be better for me to use this or that OS?

So he has to start thinking about many things:

1) Security against viruses (I still prefer MAC);

2) Software availability (it depends on what you do; I am obliged to use both OSs, for there are some professional programs that run only under Windows);

3) System requirements (I have all the requirements to run both OSs, but doesn't Vista require too many resources??? I mean RAM, CPU etc).

In other words, I don't know whether to start using the BEAUTIFUL Vista as my main Windows OS or to keep using XP, which requires less resources to do the same things. After all, beauty is not fundamental, if you have to work.

This thread is explicitly for appearance, as stated several times.

@consolation - I know it's a metaphor but metaphor's are not what I asked for, if you had read my freaking post(s) you would know I'm looking for specific things, not these useless, silly metaphors.

That lifehacker story is mostly stupid for several reasons:

- Gadgets have been around for years before OSX and they were announced/demonstrated in Longhorn years (?) before they were present in OSX.

- The explorer has had this layout for years though in Vista it had an update. Also, in several other OS' you will see a similar layout.

- Outlook and other MS apps which had calendars have had this layout for years and it's a generic structure present in basically every calendar app though in those sreenshots there are several notable differences.

- It's a flipping search box, it's also in a different area, appears differently, etc.

That lifehacker story is mostly stupid for several reasons:

- Gadgets have been around for years before OSX and they were announced/demonstrated in Longhorn years (?) before they were present in OSX.

- The explorer has had this layout for years though in Vista it had an update. Also, in several other OS' you will see a similar layout.

- Outlook and other MS apps which had calendars have had this layout for years and it's a generic structure present in basically every calendar app though in those sreenshots there are several notable differences.

- It's a flipping search box, it's also in a different area, appears differently, etc.

Those are all the valid reasons that I've had throughout this whole copy argument from the beginning and why I said I don't understand the point. Linux is a prime example with most distros looking the same. Users will choose the distro that appeals to them and there's not much thought given to who copied whom or which one looks the best as long as they can have their wobbly windows and cubed desktops, which is all more bling then what see in Vista.

I donot believe OSX looks like VIsta or vice versa. I also donot think any one said that. All people say is that Vista has copied so many features of OSX, such as Spotlight and Vista search, yada yada yada.

Also OSX looks so much more dignified and cool, even after nearly an year of use, while I got sick of the Vista themes after a month. Same with the XP theme. I have not used Vista yet, so I cant say much.

I also think Vista does not look like OS X, for God's sake.

But yeah it only how it looks, that's not really important.

No APPLE TAB button to quit apps. Still clunky alt F1 or something. Ugg.

Oh and the dreaded .dll files and as some others mentioned, busy bee background DRM checking software which FORCES hardware manufactures to be DRM complient. This is why the RIAA are thinkin about easing up on some of the copy restrictions.

Vista will be a music killer unless the DRM schmatics change.

well of cause vista doesnt look like osx but many ideas are stolen.

if you paint like picasso it can also be a good picture but it isnt a picasso.

if people see it and they know picasso they say "hey thats good, but it looks like picasso"

or people say "hey thats really good" but they dont know picasso...

the same way with vista and osx

oh and i also like monkeys

Edited by bliss

Vista has copied OS X very close, just look at the apps, mail, calendar, IE7, the layout is identical. It's not that Vista looks like OS X, it's that they have copied the apps, layout and tried to compete with OS X simply by copying rather than innovating. I think OS X is alot more elegant and consistant.

I think that Microsoft is following Apple's lead, and taking some actual care on the UI elements, which means making them sharper/anti-aliased properly, tasteful, smart and good looking. In that respect, Vista is "Apple-Like"
More vague rubbish. I asked for freaking specific things, is it that hard ?
well of cause vista doesnt look like osx but many ideas are stolen.
No, many ideas are not stolen and I already addressed the stupid, regularly quoted ones like search and gadgets. You don't deserve to like monkeys.
Vista has copied OS X very close, just look at the apps, mail, calendar, IE7, the layout is identical. It's not that Vista looks like OS X, it's that they have copied the apps, layout and tried to compete with OS X simply by copying rather than innovating. I think OS X is alot more elegant and consistant.
Calendar has a similar structure to Outlook2003 and previous versions of mail apps from Microsoft. Hell, Evolution, Thunderbird and a ton of other apps have the same freaking structure. IE7 has the most different GUI to any other browser but I assume you were attempting to mention how RSS looks similar, well, it's similar in FF and a ton of other apps. Also, the simple mail app is simple to Outlook and any other mail app - only in terms of structure and even than it's different enough.

Also, it is not identical, for example, in the calendar app MS has a horizontal bar at the top with buttons, etc among other differences.

NONE HAVE YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FULFILL A SIMPLE REQUEST. Hell, from your posts I'd say about 2 of you actually read my post, for example, I ask for no 'vague rubbish' and I ask for specific things yet I get useless metaphors and silly things like 'following Apple's lead in sharpness.' :unsure:

So, 2 concclusions:

It doesn't look Mac like. ;)

People can not read. :(

Feel free to close this thread, I'm done. People have said nothing specific besides stupid things like gadgets and the structure of a calendar app.

So, 2 concclusions:

It doesn't look Mac like. :huh:

People can not read. :(

Feel free to close this thread, I'm done. People have said nothing specific besides stupid things like gadgets and the structure of a calendar app.

Aww! lol robotskip ur so cute! and funny, did I mention funny?

The conclusions are lame... Vista is a complete rip-off of mac os x. Have you ever used mac os before? what about vista?

Because if you have, it isn't apparent!

Just because the color of the vista theme is black, and current os x isn't, doesn't mean they don't look the same. If I had the exact same jaw as another person, you would note how similar it is even if my beard was white and his, brown.

When people say they look the same, it absolutely has to do with icon similarities and design elements.

I'm giving you ONE (and only one) example. Do you think the attached picture looks like this forum, or not? If you say yes, you have gotten something from this thread: the understanding of aesthetic likeness. If not, you're beyond help. Hope to hear it's the former.

-Urby

post-6603-1170290281_thumb.png