Chris

anurup

anurup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Hey orByte,

It works. I was doing something inanely silly - I don't even want to talk about it. But it works and that is important! Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble.

Just for the record, am using an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ on an MSI RS480M2-IL mobo. Am posting this from Safari!

sam9879

sam9879

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Typing sudo dmseg in the Terminal gives me following msg,

Skipping duplicate extension "com.orByte.driver.PCGenRTL8139Ethernet" with older/same version (1.2.0 -> 1.2.0).

What i'm doing wrong??

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hey orByte,

It works. I was doing something inanely silly - I don't even want to talk about it. But it works and that is important! Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble.

Just for the record, am using an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ on an MSI RS480M2-IL mobo. Am posting this from Safari!

Great news!! (& Sorry for late late reply). Was it that you needed to configure the network before the connection showed up? This seems to be a security feature of Darwin.

Best

Typing sudo dmseg in the Terminal gives me following msg,

Skipping duplicate extension "com.orByte.driver.PCGenRTL8139Ethernet" with older/same version (1.2.0 -> 1.2.0).
What i'm doing wrong??

kext could be loading twice.

QUICK WAY (it may not work) - assuming corrupt cache...
----------------------
touch /System/Library/Extensions
rm /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache
rm /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext
shutdown -r now

SLOW WAY
-----------------------
Make sure you only have one PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions folder and all its sub-folders. Then do the above. How do you check? use 'grep' or 'find'.

Best

sam9879

sam9879

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
i have only one PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions folder and all its sub-folders.

But the other one i have in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ and i hope its not wrong, is it??

kextload command gives me hopeful results as below

RTL8139 PCI Adapter
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
kextload: matching started for /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

but after restarting nothing works, i'm pissed off.

how can i add hardware id to kext? and to which kext exactly should i add it?

Edit:-

"sudo dmesg" command some times shows nothing related to 8139 and some times gives Skipping duplicate extension as above.

Posted Image

I get above msg from kextload but after restart it is not catching the card...

sam9879

sam9879

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Waiting...

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
orByte releases RTL8139 modified source code & semi-retirement announced

Hi everybody!

Continuing on the semi-retirement track... As announced here are the full sources for the RTL8139 driver.

Thanks a lot for all the comments and help I have received in the past few months since I started working on the Darwin RTL8139 drivers. Sadly, I am having almost no time left to work on this project. Initally I had only released the source code as diffs. However, I am now releasing the full project, in the hope that someone else will pick up the project and continue working on it. I am now left with only the Uli526x network driver on my list of things to to.

These projects are best suited to people who are already familiar with programming & Darwin compilation.

Of interest is the coding for a dynamic MMIO/PIO selection class, which binds at run-time. This is quite different from the Linux code, which selects MMIO/PIO operation mode at compile time. It is also different from the standard Apple Darwin code, which is limited to PIO only.

One important technical note: the ioAccessor and its derivative classes defined in RTL8139IO.h should really be renamed to RTL8139ioAccessor, and so on. I have done this in the Uli driver. Why? The IO namespace is relatively flat, so all these names MUST be unique. Otherwise another kext using the same namespace will fail to load. Of course with the RTL8139 specifier the name becomes unique.

Another option might be to create nested classes, and nest the ioAccessor class under the kext class name, which is always unique. But this creates all sorts of problems. In fact, Apple does not do this. Nor would I recommend anyone else to try it. It is best to stick with a flat space, unique names, and use forward declarations if needed.

Instructions
---------------------------

1.PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-4-src.zip MD5 = c279a157b53dfb1533f31095137631b6

Requires: XCODE 2.4.1, Kernel 8.8.1, Semthex OK, 10.4.8. Consult the original diff & bundle for modified files & FAQ.

2. PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-3-src.zip MD5 = b4337fe9fdcd3e4594abcfe980696e72

Requires: XCODE 2.3, Kernel 8.4.1, 10.4.7. Consult the original diff & bundle for modified files & FAQ.

Again, thank you very much
Best

i have only one PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions folder and all its sub-folders.

But the other one i have in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ and i hope its not wrong, is it??

kextload command gives me hopeful results as below

RTL8139 PCI Adapter
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
kextload: matching started for /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

but after restarting nothing works, i'm pissed off.

how can i add hardware id to kext? and to which kext exactly should i add it?

Edit:-

"sudo dmesg" command some times shows nothing related to 8139 and some times gives Skipping duplicate extension as above.

Posted Image

I get above msg from kextload but after restart it is not catching the card...

Does kext load after restart? If yes, go to System Preferences> Network>Configure, and follow on-screen instructons.

Best

sam9879

sam9879

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
No, it doesn't. after restart System Preferences> Network> shows "Built in Ethernet" Failed...

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

No, it doesn't. after restart System Preferences> Network> shows "Built in Ethernet" Failed...

what do you get for
dmesg | grep 8139

what happens if you configure the built in ethernet. I have a suspicion that the problem is elsewhere. If there were a kext issue, it would not even load the first time.

Possibly corrupt extension caches

You could also try
rm /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
touch  /System/Library/Extensions
shutdown -r now

Best

sam9879

sam9879

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
1) If PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext is at the both locations i.e.
[i] /System/Library/Extensions &
[ii] /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

the kext is loaded but i get error as following:

Posted Image

and "dmesg | grep 8139" gives results as below

Posted Image

2) If PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext is only at one locations i.e. /System/Library/Extensions

then kext load fails with no PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext in the System Profiler.

Posted Image

i feel i'm very near, but dont know what exactly i'm doing wrong...

how to make PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext to act as plug-in of IONetworkingFamily.kext i.e. /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/ without making two copies of PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext as one is already there in /System/Library/Extensions ??

orByte

orByte

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

1) If PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext is at the both locations i.e.
[i] /System/Library/Extensions &
[ii] /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

Delete one of the two (e.g., /System/Library/Extensions) , then fix permissions, and reboot with the -f flag. That should do it.

You only need one. Two will create a problem. You could also delete both, then reinstall one at either location.

Best

sam9879

sam9879

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Solved...!

I just tried anathor LAN card from the RealTek which shows RTL8139/810x on windows, and it has 8139c printed on it instead of 8139d.

and booommm... it worked as soon as i restarted the system after plugging it in without installing any kext what so ever...!!

Loved Safari...

zenchess

zenchess

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thankyou. Thankyou. Thankyou.

I installed mac os x 10.4.9 tubgirl release today on my amd 64 e-machines computer...

Sound didn't work but I found a realtek pkg on this forum, worked great. My ethernet did not work so first I tried using the nforce4 kext, it didn't work at all...

I noticed my other computer had an old ethernet card so I tried plugging that in. Mac os had a new kext error message. I had no idea what kind of ethernet card this was but I searched for the error message on this forum and came to your post. I did the 'risk takers' approach and went into system preferences>networking and low and behold built in ethernet was finally detected. I now have a fully working mac os x system! (i think)

So you can add that this will work with 10.4.9, at least the tubgirl amd release

kronwied

kronwied

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay... When I type in "dmesg" I get:

dmesg:
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: vendorID = 0x10ec deviceID = 0x8139 revisionID = 0x0010
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found PIO accessor at d001
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: found MMIO accessor at F8110000
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: using PIO access mode...
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: io access at csrBase=d000.
com_orByte_driver_RTL8139: Ethernet address 00:40:f4:17:3b:ef

But, i can't see my network card in the networkwindow

Can somebody please help me?

PS: In dthe System Profiler it says:

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingfamili

"No valid version of this depency can be foun"

Pijo

Pijo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Can smb upload PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-1.2.0.zip file to other site. Sendspace sux:/

edstace

edstace

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Works like a charm with uphuck's 10.4.9. v1.2 release! Thanks a whole bunch!

Pijo

Pijo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Problemo. The network card is present , but I can`t get IP address from DHCP. My ISP assings IP from DHCP automatically . In System Preference/Network always shows me that IP is 169.xxx.xxx.xx . I tried renew , but nothing changed . Any ideas????

I use Mac 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3 by Jas kernel 8.8.1.

Compaq Presario R3275US(P4 Northwood SSE2, igp9100, ati mobility radeon 9200)

Fretless

Fretless

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, this worked like a charm on my HP a1130n with an onboard Realtek RTL8139/810x NIC.

fekafil

fekafil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys!

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pa1510 notebook, with Realtek 8139 ethernet, and installed Uphuck 1.4a successfully, but i dont have internet. I think Airport would work, but i cant test it right now. I tried with AppleRTL8139 modified and this PCGenRTL, but still, when i want to look at the network preferences it crashes, saying unexpected quit. Crash report says:Exc_bad_access, and Kern_invalid_id_address (0X0001) at 0Xa3250002. I dont know what to do, i followed the steps written here step to step. I deleted all instances of AppleRTL, and only PCGenRTL is shown in system profiler in software->Extensions Still nothing. Crashes all the time.
Any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy