32 replies to this topic

Atmosfear

Atmosfear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

just wanted to notice you, that you should be able to get proper Composite or S-Video TV-Out using Apples DVI to Video Adapter sold for about 20 EUR. The adapter says "requires Mac mini or Power Mac G5" but it works fine on my MacBook Pro 17" aswell as my 10.4.8 Hackintosh w/Natit Radeon X1900 XT.

The adapter is detected as second monitor "NTSC/PAL" and offers these interlaced Resolutions in both PAL and NTSC-Refreshrates:

640x480 VGA
720x480 4:3 SD NTSC
720x576 4:3 SD PAL
768x576 Square-Pixel SD PAL
800x600 SVGA
856x480 16:9 SD NTSC
1024x576 16:9 SD PAL
1024x768 XGA
1280x720 HD 720p

I suspect this will also work fine with Dual-Screen capable Nvidia cards using Natit and also with GMA900/950 if a PCIe DVI-Connector-Card is installed.

The output quality is pretty good and I'll be using it as control monitor out for Final Cut Pro HD (or for watching movies ;-)).

Although my device is labled for PAL it supports NTSC as well, I guess it just uses PAL as default when used as bootup screen.

Edit: Seems not to work with Nvidia Cards for now ...

Have Fun,
Atmos

Edited by Atmosfear, 08 February 2007 - 05:33 PM.

tomtefar

tomtefar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Cool. Thanks for the info!
Anyone else try it?

rizzopro

rizzopro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have but I have an ATI X1600 Pro so I cant get dual dispaly to work I get mirroring but not dual display

ooZberg

ooZberg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Great news! :)

I think I need to get one of those to try this out :D (To bad it is such a expensive cable, but I wouldn't hurt to give apple some support :pirate2: )

Atmosfear

Atmosfear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Well it's not just the cable, it inlcudes the electronics and logic to convert from DVI signal to analog out, so I think the price is quite ok.

ooZberg

ooZberg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Got myself one of those cables in the local apple store today, and now, FINALLY, tv-out works like a charm :P

(However, ntsc dident work at all, pal works just great, but when I tried ntsc the system just freezes, and i had to remove com.apple.windowserver.plist to get my system running again, weird..)

And I also want to say, thank you Atmosfear for this tip :D

walterav

walterav

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I can only find a miniDVI cable to tvout, is there another one?

ooZberg

ooZberg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yes, this one http://store.apple.c...LearnMore=M9267

tomtefar

tomtefar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Has anyone tried this with an NVidia dual-dvi (or other) capable card????

japhex

japhex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Can someone try dvi+this adapter and check for dual screen

skippyretard

skippyretard

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
The topic should be changed to "TV Out-Alternative" as it is not a solution for the mentioned cards. This can be very confusing to people.

tomtefar

tomtefar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Plus that Apple's site only mentions using the device together with ATI cards... do we know that it works with NViDIA cards???

Atmosfear

Atmosfear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
@skippyretard: ching the topic would make it much unfriendlier for searching (IMHO)

@tomtefar: AFAIK this Device is advertised for G5 Mac and Mac Mini (the Mini-DVI-version), with the first having NVIDIA card and the latter one GMA950 (at least the intel mini). As the device even works in windows, I dought it's hardware specific, as long as the card supports the needed graphics modes.

tomtefar

tomtefar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
This seems to indicate otherwise???

Anyone actually try it with an NVIDIA card? Which one??

tomtefar

tomtefar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I've got confirmation from a local Mac store (where they did try it) that the adaptor does not work with the 7300GT in the Mac Pro. Anyone tried on a hack with NVIDIA??

Shiva

Shiva

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, i've buyed a DVI -> Svideo adapter and tried with my geforce and no lucky.

I have a Geforce 6600GT PCIx... product id 0x0140 has 2 DVI port and one TV-OUT my firse monitor is connected through a DVI -> VGA adapter working, but the SVIDEO adapter is not working... I've tried all the Natit drivers with no success... still got 'no monitor connected' on the monitors info...

In windows XP using the adapter the geforce driver recognize it as a 'PAL/NTSC Monitor' but can't display correctly... appears as a timing problem...

anyone has some ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

delish

delish

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Apple DVI-PAL adapter worked fine for me too ;)
with my asus x1900xt
Attached File  Picture_13.png   55.16KB   378 downloads

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Interesting. Anyone know of any successes using either GMA900 or ATI X1800 ?

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Well, I just ordered one.... ;)

And received it. Works great with my MBP. However, I rather stupidly forgot my hackintosh doesnt have DVI, only a VGA port.

I have now ordered a DVI-I to VGA adapter (supposedly to use a monitor which has DVI-I only ports with a VGA output). This should, in theory, work, because (presumably) the Apple DVI to Video adapter only uses the analog pins. I really hope it does... :S

Will keep you all posted.

MrBryan

MrBryan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I just want to point out that this will only work for certain Radeon cards such as the x1900xt.

The part from Apple is not a converter, it merely activates a switch on the cards to use the pin-outs. On normal DVI outs you'll get garbled {censored}, as I did with my x1600xt.

And that x1600xt has a great s-video out that doesn't work at all with OSX (as far as I know...)

Boo-urns.

Don't waste your $30.

Speaking of which, anyone want to by an Apple MiniDV/DVI to NTSC/PAL?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy