ATI/Nvidia/GMA TV Out-Solution

Atmosfear

33 posts in this topic

knytet:

Hi I have a P5K and I have a PCI-E 7800 GTX 512, the same thing happens to me!

I can get TV out by plugging in the s-video plug AFTER starting the osx86, I then have to unplug my monitor, and that forces a picture to my TV, I then plug the monitor back in to the opposite DVI port than before and it works, but as you said it goes mad when I restart.

I'm close to buying some DVI and s-video extension cables so I can do this hacky cable madness without groveling around on the floor, selotape them to the side of my desk or something!

I've tried changing around with my info.plist and I get more or less the same thing happen. (plug tv cable in after, change monitor cable aroun, etc etc. 13 0C works best for me. and yields the results mentioned above. Weird.

Any ideas on why this is?

• 4 weeks later...

I wish i had read this topic earlier.

my mediacentre has a GMA 915, and an Asus 7300GS. Native TV-out gave kernel panics so I bought a DVI to S-video converter at the apple store but it doesn't work. I see the bios screen (garbled) and when it should display the apple boot screen it just gives black screen. my video preferences look like this.

settings.tiff

and the about window says this:

about.tiff

As you can see I cannot switch to PAL/50Hz display. Resolution switching works but it just doesn't give ou tput to the TV, i can control the computer with screensharing so I know the computer hasn't crashed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

somebody said that that a switch is activated to change the signal output on ati cards to set it to s-video, which is why it doesnt work with nvidia, but isnt s-video just analog?

if thats the case cant i just use my dvi to vga thing that came with my card, and pick up one of those vga to s-video cables ive seen floating around the internet for $1.99, or would the signal be off? or if dvi-i to s-video doesnt work, would dvi to vga not work under osx? i havent had to use it since my windows only days...

• 4 months later...