• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

MikeBee

MikeBee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Definitely more than 1% of people know how to put quality components into a PC. And we're not all geeks too.

Agreed, Apple will most likely market OSX for x86 and PowerPC. Has anyone compared performance figures between top line PowerPC OSX performance and top line x86 OSX? I'd be suprised if the PowerPC didn't beat the x86 by a considerable margin and this is why Apple will continue to sell hardware, along with the fact that users know that they are buying quality.

Take the iPod for example, there are plenty of other media players about, but people buy the Apple hardware at a premium because it's a good quality piece of kit. Apple are applying this to their computer hardware.

And for dual booting OSx86 and WinXP. My Dell D600 does this admirably and so will future versions of OSx86 because there will always be people prepared to crack the protection to use what I consider to be the best OS at the moment for free.

Just my piece.

bjr1028

bjr1028

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Definitely more than 1% of people know how to put quality components into a PC. And we're not all geeks too.

Agreed, Apple will most likely market OSX for x86 and PowerPC. Has anyone compared performance figures between top line PowerPC OSX performance and top line x86 OSX? I'd be suprised if the PowerPC didn't beat the x86 by a considerable margin and this is why Apple will continue to sell hardware, along with the fact that users know that they are buying quality.

Take the iPod for example, there are plenty of other media players about, but people buy the Apple hardware at a premium because it's a good quality piece of kit. Apple are applying this to their computer hardware.

And for dual booting OSx86 and WinXP. My Dell D600 does this admirably and so will future versions of OSx86 because there will always be people prepared to crack the protection to use what I consider to be the best OS at the moment for free.

Just my piece.

For all but the really high end pro apps which are specifically designed for the G5 and Altivec, the x86 Macs are going to be considerably faster.

pflatline

pflatline

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

I agree, I was just stating the fact that you can buy OS X for PPC at the moment and so you will be able to buy x86 version.

Its just whether it can be hacked to work on non-apple hardware.

Perhaps. Apple may decide to change their distribution of OSX becuase of this. They may also add some additional copy protection,or take additional steps to protect it,like a custom bios. They may not have gotten around to these yet. I hope they dont because I like hacking their product,but if it was me doing making this,I certainly would do something like that.

bjr1028

bjr1028

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Apple isn't going to use bios, they're using EFI.

Tomovich

Tomovich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
First, what does EFI mean?

Second, don't you think that if Apple would sell their OS that the hardware department will lose money and finally will be closed?

Guest: terry_*

• Guests

"Extensible Firmware Interface"

http://en.wikipedia....mware_Interface

Apple isn't going to use bios, they're using EFI.

Where do you know that from?

bjr1028

bjr1028

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Where do you know that from?

It's the rumor of the day. Apple has already said they are not going to use Open Firmware on intel. BIOS is too ungainly for apple to use on a shipping product. They'd want something close to open firmware, but compatible with standard hardware. That leaves intel's EFI as the most logical candidate.

bjr1028

bjr1028

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Second, don't you think that if Apple would sell their OS that the hardware department will lose money and finally will be closed?

These are the same people who would like to burn you guys at the stake for installing OSX "on a ugly peecee box". Mac users hate ATX towers and love the minimalist all in one approach the iMac takes. I don't see Apple's user base going anywhere.

• Guests
Thx for the quick reply...

It's the rumor of the day.

O.K., I see. When I read your comment, I was under the impression that I missed some concrete info on Apple's hardware designs that may have leaked recently and that you were not just talking about some rumors. That Apple might resort to EFI seems quite plausible to me, too, but AFAIK it's not clear to the general public yet which way Apple will choose.

Tomovich

Tomovich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

These are the same people who would like to burn you guys at the stake for installing OSX "on a ugly peecee box". Mac users hate ATX towers and love the minimalist all in one approach the iMac takes. I don't see Apple's user base going anywhere.

Yes I'm an OSX user but I really don't care on what pc it runs. If Apple would license their OS then I wouldn't mind to buy a "grey box" if it's cheaper. But I just like the designs. But it's not worth it.
And I think it's a very big question. Because when they will stop their hardware department it means that they will focus on other things: software (OSX, iTunes,...) and gadgets (iPod, Media Center,...). Everybody knows Jobs wants that Apple will be the central thing in the homes of consumers.

cyris ng

cyris ng

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
A shrink wrapped copy of OS X for Intel will be available for purchase anywhere but it wont have support for non-Apple Computers. You'll need to depend on hackers to let it work on your hardware. Even then it would be a large inconvenience for anyone who uses it because updates wouldnt be as timely as people would want and hardware support would probably available by users and not direct from the hardware vendor.

Nice idea though but a few days using OS X on my PC has taught me that Apple does things too differently & more conveniently than PC makers.

bjr1028

bjr1028

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Yes I'm an OSX user but I really don't care on what pc it runs. If Apple would license their OS then I wouldn't mind to buy a "grey box" if it's cheaper. But I just like the designs. But it's not worth it.
And I think it's a very big question. Because when they will stop their hardware department it means that they will focus on other things: software (OSX, iTunes,...) and gadgets (iPod, Media Center,...). Everybody knows Jobs wants that Apple will be the central thing in the homes of consumers.

Apple designs their software as an extention of their hardware (which is what they still make most of their money on). Apple is at its best when it comes up with an idea and designs a software/hardware package around that idea.

Tomovich

Tomovich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So you don't think they will close their hardware dept? But isn't Apple focusing on some other (more important) things now?

bjr1028

bjr1028

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Not a chance in hell. Apple is not nor will ever be a software company. Everything they do is aimed at selling more Macs. As many iPods as they're selling, they don't make near as much money as as just the PowerMacs alone.

Metrogirl

Metrogirl

Resistance is futile...

• Retired
  • 1,177 posts
I really don't want to add much to this tired old topic, everything's been said already. But the recent discussion has made me think one thing new - maybe, just maybe, if Apple's fortunes decline seriously, and their hardware business is looking really shaky, like they're selling iPods and not much else, then they might do an about-turn and concentrate on selling software and having a bash at Old Bill's monopoly. They always have that option, I suppose. But I'll probably be in a home for the terminally geriatric, drooling and wearing elastic-waist polyester pants before that day arrives!

bjr1028

bjr1028

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
By that time Vista will be out and the oppurtunity will have passed. Apple has about a 18-month window to license OSX and get a foot hold or copysoft once again will profit from Apple's ideas.

Metrogirl

Metrogirl

Resistance is futile...

• Retired
  • 1,177 posts

By that time Vista will be out and the oppurtunity will have passed. Apple has about a 18-month window to license OSX and get a foot hold or copysoft once again will profit from Apple's ideas.

He he - I hope you're not seriously suggesting you think I'll be a gibbering senior citizen in 18 months' time? I was planning on another few decades of (near) sanity! :happymac: Or did you mean that Vista will take that long to be released?

• Guests

He he - I hope you're not seriously suggesting you think I'll be a gibbering senior citizen in 18 months' time? I was planning on another few decades of (near) sanity! :D Or did you mean that Vista will take that long to be released?

@bjr1028

Posted Image

Hehe.

:happymac:

Season's Greetings to all of you. :)

ted

ted

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I really don't want to add much to this tired old topic, everything's been said already. But the recent discussion has made me think one thing new - maybe, just maybe, if Apple's fortunes decline seriously, and their hardware business is looking really shaky, like they're selling iPods and not much else, then they might do an about-turn and concentrate on selling software and having a bash at Old Bill's monopoly. They always have that option, I suppose. But I'll probably be in a home for the terminally geriatric, drooling and wearing elastic-waist polyester pants before that day arrives!

I really don't think Steve Jobs would go that route. His approach has always been to put out a quality product, one that looks great and functions well and efficiently. The Mac software is no doubt better than windows in terms of ease of use and simplicity and by not having to support all the hardware out there they have been able to rest well assured that their hardware integrates perfectly with their software, which is one of the reasons it functions so well. By releasing the software for all x86 components they will hit obstacles such as their software not being compatible with many home users current hardware which will present many problems and make MAC OS out to look much less stable and efficient making developers less inclined to make software for them.By doing that they would taking a huge risk. There is most likely much more to their decisions then this but this is among one the biggest and most apparent and unless they can come to a point where they can make their OS more compatible than Microsoft's, i doubt we will see any movement toward them becoming a software company. Linux has been out for years and still has little support compared to windows and requires an advanced user to function well as would Mac OS on other hardware. I do feel that converting to intel hardware is a step in the direction we'd all like and compatiblility with all x86 machines could even be a future goal for all we know. However there is a long way to go and I don't think this is something we will ever see within the next year or two.

Ouch

Ouch

Weee, what a predicament!

• Retired
  • 1,190 posts
I think theres a distinction between apple becoming a software company in the sense of writing apps for windows, vs actually supporting osx on non-apple hardware. IMO the latter is completely out of the question, people pay the premium for apple hardware for exactly the reasons ted describes and offering osx on any beige box a punter cares to purchase would dilute apples brand.

However what i think metrogirl was getting at was the possibility of apple releasing software such as it's iLife suite to windows - a far more likely concept given the recent news about yellow box. This would seem to fit in with their current stealth switch strategy. Convince the windows punters they want an ipod, show them how great itunes is, then offer them an affordable mac and you've got them hooked. Before you know it their ditching windows and buying powerbooks.

Edited by 0uch!p0tat0, 24 December 2005 - 01:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy