MSI X299 SLI Plus and Intel 7820X: installation and post installation steps

slurpi

205 posts in this topic

Hi everyone:

Great exchanges going on here.

I just want to add I upgraded to 10.13.3 yesterday, but still under iMac18,3. Unfortunately, the NVidia drivers are not working properly, I still have to find a fix for that.

In addition, there are still different installers for the iMacPro and the iMac18,3, so I think I will not change the first post to use the iMacPro just yet.

• Like 1

Just to add to this a couple of points.

I also updated to newest webdrivers adn although I didn't see any of the lag or stuttering issues I've lost 30000 points on Geekbench compute scores. Down from ~170k to ~142k so I don't think these webdrivers are optimized.

In regards to the iMacPro SMBIOS. I changed to that after adding the correct line to platformsupport.plist via Vim and after selecting "Boot Mac os X " I get a black screen for 2-3 seconds then an instant shutdown, no restart, no error screen just a shutdown.

I think I'll stay on 18,3 for now and possibly move back to the last Nvidia Webdrivers also, otherwise all works well.

Here's an update on my situation: 10.13.3 is working, but unfortunately the transition was not smooth. After the complete update, I have two problems:

* NVidia WebDrivers 387.10.10.10.25.156 don't work, I get the "gIOSCreenLockState 3" error.

* Clover 4369 and 4380 don't work on my NVME disk anymore. I get the dreaded OsxAptiFixDrv error.

How I fixed these two problems:

* Clover: I boot from my SSD. I had it setup already for that.

* Nvidia drivers: I went back to version 104. For that, I used the following program:

https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/index.php/Thread/34164-Nvidia-Webtreiber-all-Version-update-App-f%C3%BCr-High-Sierra/

First, I had to uninstall the 156 version, by removing the Nvidia kexts from /S/L/E and /L/E. Look for Geforce and NVDA.

Next, I rebooted without the WebDrivers.

Then I ran the program by following these instructions (credit from another user):

Open the app, choose „Webdriver neu installieren“ („Reinstall web driver“), choose the old webdriver *.pkg file – the app installs the old driver. 

Restart the app, choose „Vorhandenen Webdriver Patchen“ („patch existing web driver“) – click through, choose „Rechte bereinigen“ („correct permissions“) enter admin password and restart the Mac.

This solved my problem. I am now running 10.13.3 on an iMac18,3 but with the WebDrivers 387.10.10.10.25.104

Another quick update: 

Because of the problems I was having with the Nvidia drivers under 10.13.3 and iMac18,3, I decided to change to iMacPro1,1. The change was successful, and I am now running 17D2047 without the need to reinstall.

I followed KGP guide here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331658-how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-buildextended-guide

His guide is massive and has way too many details. I simply used his chapter D, in particular:

• Edited my config.plist to have the SMBIOS os iMacPro1,1. Board number is essential.
  • Edited my /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist with Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 board ID, as explained in his section D.5.
  • Download the correct BaseSystem.dmg. This part is important, and at the moment his guide is still wrong. You want to download this:
    http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/16/14/091-62779/frfttxz116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/BaseSystem.dmg
  • Mount this dmg and run the installer inside. Reboot and choose "install macOS..."
  • Done.

​And note that the WebDrivers for 17D2047 work without any issues :-)

Geekbench and Cinebench CPU scores did not change for me.

But Nvidia scores went down, like zambostraut reports. First it seems that dragging Finder windows is not so smooth. And Unigine Heaven score went down to 1154 from 1755. That's a 34% reduction! Other GPU tests, like Geekbench OpenCL and FluxMark showed similar reduction. So quite a disappointment for the NVidia drivers.

Because of this reduction in GPU performance, without any apparent gain in other areas, it is not worth to move to iMacPro1,1. If your system is running well with iMac18,3 or iMac17,1, stay there for now.

• Like 1

Another quick update: 

Because of the problems I was having with the Nvidia drivers under 10.13.3 and iMac18,3, I decided to change to iMacPro1,1. The change was successful, and I am now running 17D2047 without the need to reinstall.

I followed KGP guide here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331658-how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-buildextended-guide

His guide is massive and has way too many details. I simply used his chapter D, in particular:

• Edited my config.plist to have the SMBIOS os iMacPro1,1. Board number is essential.
  • Edited my /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist with Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 board ID, as explained in his section D.5.
  • Download the correct BaseSystem.dmg. This part is important, and at the moment his guide is still wrong. You want to download this:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/16/14/091-62779/frfttxz116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/BaseSystem.dmg

• Mount this dmg and run the installer inside. Reboot and choose "install macOS..."
  • Done.

​And note that the WebDrivers for 17D2047 work without any issues :-)

Geekbench and Cinebench CPU scores did not change for me.

But Nvidia scores went down, like zambostraut reports. First it seems that dragging Finder windows is not so smooth. And Unigine Heaven score went down to 1154 from 1755. That's a 34% reduction! Other GPU tests, like Geekbench OpenCL and FluxMark showed similar reduction. So quite a disappointment for the NVidia drivers.

Because of this reduction in GPU performance, without any apparent gain in other areas, it is not worth to move to iMacPro1,1. If your system is running well with iMac18,3 or iMac17,1, stay there for now.

You're right about kgps guide. But for all it's complications, it's a great guide and he has a lot of energy in keeping it updated. Just if you implement sections of it rather than the whole thing then dare to post, he'll flame you down lol.

Once you've got the 1,1 working, the updates move over to the mac pro versions so modifications to platformsupport are no longer required.

Luckily for the Vega users, there is no reduction in GPU performance with the imac pro smbios and it's worth the move. Particularly to 10.13.4. Now I don't need USB patches.

surfinchina, I agree with what you said about kgp. It's amazing how he can maintain his gigantic thread on 2 different places (and I think he has a similar one for the X99 platform). Amazing guy, but with a tricky personality ;-) 

About the NVidia driver: I downgraded the driver from the current 157 version to the 104 version (I think this was for 10.13.2), and I got some of the performance back.

Geekbench Compute OpenCL = 139,086 (was 114,870 with the 157 version)

Cinebench OpenGL = 131.46 fps (was 118.41fps with the 157 version)

These values are equivalent to the max I got previously, so all good there.

However, Unigine Heaven saw no improvement: I still got 1162 (46.1 fps), but my max used to be 1755 (69.7 fps).

I don't know if I'll keep looking for the best driver. It seems to me that NVidia disabled some optimizations in the more recent versions.

Just to add to this. 

I also rolled back to the .104 driver and saw no performance increase at all. GB compute is within margin of error difference on both .104 and .156 now at 143k more or less. 

Slurpi and I are both running almost identical setups (my GTX 1070 is the Asus Dual OC) but I'd imagine performance from both should be pretty much the same. 

Since I saw no performance boost on .104 I've gone back to the most up-to-date and hope for another Nvidia update soon .

I want to add a surprising discovery: BIOS flashing/resetting can influence the way Clover behaves.

As I reported some posts above, I could not use Clover on my NVME anymore, I had to use the SSD. Today, while playing around with the BIOS (installing a custom boot image), I reflashed the BIOS (version 170). Immediately I noticed that Clover default boot partition was working again. So I decided to try to boot from the NVME and... worked like a charm. So if you find strange errors after updating Clover (like default boot partition not being recognised, or new Aptio errors), you might consider reflashing the BIOS.

Just updated to Clover 4392. Here's what I found out:

• EmuVariableUefi-64.efi: I read reports saying that this was longer necessary with iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. But without it, the NVidia WebDrivers don't load. So I need this.
  • AptioMemory: I tried OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi and AptioMemoryFix.efi and they didn't work. Only my usual OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi + Test2.efi works.
  • CsmVideoDxe-64.efi: I read somewhere that this allows for better graphics mode while booting (eg, avoids the stretched Apple logo on 16:9 monitors). But it does not work for me and it causes a text flicker while Clover is loading. This was already noticed on previous version of Clover. So I removed it and have a stretched Apple logo while booting.

Just updated to Clover 4392. Here's what I found out:

• EmuVariableUefi-64.efi: I read reports saying that this was longer necessary with iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. But without it, the NVidia WebDrivers don't load. So I need this.
  • AptioMemory: I tried OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi and AptioMemoryFix.efi and they didn't work. Only my usual OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi + Test2.efi works.
  • CsmVideoDxe-64.efi: I read somewhere that this allows for better graphics mode while booting (eg, avoids the stretched Apple logo on 16:9 monitors). But it does not work for me and it causes a text flicker while Clover is loading. This was already noticed on previous version of Clover. So I removed it and have a stretched Apple logo while booting.

Hi slurpi with first your problem I see many X299 users do not use nvidiaweb flag enabled in config.plist

this is mandatory and if in your case also this it is not working, try to put nvda_drv=1 (or flag it in clover configurator)

Hi, i have been trying to install for a days osx 10.13.2 but when i had find the right drivers (that after a lot of reboot not works) the installation fail with rebooting.

My buid is:

Msi x299 sli plus

i7 7820x

16gb 2133mhz ram crucial

samsung 960 nvme ssd

and also 2 ssd sata (that i want use for raid storage but if I had to use them for something i could)

I ask you, please

- if someone could send or upload there, a full efi partiton could I use for boot and install (high sierra 10.13.3)? please

- why every times i could boot the "install osx(10.13.2) from nvmenamedisk" the system reboot when arrives on "11 min remaining"? could i fix it?

THANKS FOR HELP ME

sorry for my bad english, if somethings is incomprehensible I can say it with other words, thanks again.

@niconico98

1. Post your EFI.

2. Try to remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

​3. Reboot is actually normal at certain step. Check if you have a Partition called "Boot macOS Install from YourPartitionName". Choose that until it disappears. 

4. you might need to start over without EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and add it only if you have issues concerning nvram. Loading nvidia web driver for example.

• Like 1

thanks for reply.

I forget the gpu

- nvida gt 1030 - in future i upgrade it in gtx1070

my efi is available: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LmoA-QaHcm0uJNlw8bOmhI1Y_5O5E39i/view?usp=sharing

it shutdown just boot start

Try this EFI https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eoh_FeELo4uvJZkut9FUsfCPjGlrQ01p/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

Id probably suggest you to start over with as little clover flags, kexts and drivers as possible. Your clover folder is fully packed.

Also, try to reflash your bios, though i don't think that this will change your situation. Some people having issues with Aptio where able to resolve it that way. 

Is full because is not mine.

I had downloaded from someone that has mine same component. And it worked, before the MB block with qcode.

I will done it if the pc doesn't rebooting very times during the installation from nvme ssd.

Now i try as you advice me.

If you know about "installation reboot problem", "apple xpc launch" boot problem... or if you have the same components and do you want share it with me.

However, thanks so much ;)

Hi niconico.

What is the BIOS version you have? The latest for the MSI SLI Plus is 170. You should install that one. I find it strange that you get that error with OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi + Test2.efi, because that always works for me. So start by flashing or reflashing the latest BIOS. Also, remove "slide=0", it should be unnecessary, since that is the default anyway.

What is the Clover version you are using?

Your config.plist has lots of stuff. To start, for installation, you need very little, check my first post.

Your config-no.plist has an invalid SMBIOS (iMac). I got good success with iMac18,3.

Hi fabiosum:

Thanks for the suggestion of using nvidiaweb. But it is selected in my config.plist:

<key>SystemParameters</key>
        <dict>
                <key>InjectKexts</key>
                <string>Detect</string>
                <key>InjectSystemID</key>
                <true/>
                <key>NvidiaWeb</key>
                <true/>
        </dict>

Hi Nico:

Your config.plist is a mess. You have lots of patches active. You also have a DSDT and too many kexts. You also have kexts in 10.13 and in Other. This is too many variables to debug. Check my guide in the first post:

* Your clover drivers are very few.

* You have too much stuff in your config.plist

* You have to many kexts in Other. And remove all kexts from 10.13

* You have a dsdt patch

* We don't know your specs. Is your VoodooTSCS correct? 6 cores?

I suggest you remove config.plist and dsdt, and install Clover again. And follow my guide.

I'm up on 10.13.3 with iMacPro1,1 without any problems beyond the poor web driver performance. Presumably this is an AGC issue and we can edit a plist, but I decided to order an AMD card and see how I like it ;)

Oh, can't one also set board-id for AGDP separately from the rest of the system? I think Pike had an article about it...

AptioFixMemory works well for me and provides NVRAM, so you don't need EmuVariable anymore. My MR2 appears to be locked though, and UEFI Patch produces errors and is unable to patch ;(

Nevermind, I still need EmuVariable for NVRAM. I can boot and keep web drivers without it, but I can't actually write a variable and have it stick.

Edit2: I don't know what is going on with NVRAM. I reverted back to just AptioFixMem and booting is fine, so I'll just table this for now.

BTW, in the SMBIOS field add:

<key>Trust</key>
<true/>

This allows System Profiler to properly display XMP RAM information (if people were still hunting for that).

Oh, actually I have one problem, but not a new one. I can't get the bluetooth working on my DW1560 (not seen in IOreg/USB in System Profiler). Presumably this is a USB injection issue, but christ, it still isn't seen even with USBInjectAll.

Did anyone else have such an issue with X299? Any advice?

I tried the 200-series-chipset and the XHCI->XHC rename that Rehabman suggests, but still no change. I see what looks like it should be all ports in IOreg.

post-358090-0-02946100-1517601829_thumb.png

• Like 1

If you are on iMacPro1,1 then you could try this dummy kext I cobbled together which replaces the iMacPro1,1 AGPM profile with the iMac18,3.

It won't make your Nvidia driver version any better, but I think we've already established that downgrading the driver is not a complete solution for this model identifier.

You could add this to FakeSMC instead of using this kext as well. 

edit: Fabio says that he has no lag with older drivers and his 1080 Ti on iMacPro1,1. So I guess this is unnecessary. I have deleted the attachment.

• 3 weeks later...