MSI X299 SLI Plus and Intel 7820X: installation and post installation steps

slurpi

205 posts in this topic

:-)

you have to instal clover in your UEFI boot hd (check if it is in apfs or not) with basic option and the you can overwrite EFI created with your working USB EFI one

ps

it is a good Idea to put in your signature your hardware so people could advice you better

:-)

Wow, i used a different usb port and i am in the installer now! Let's hope i don't screw this one up

Thanks!

Installation succesfull!

Do i need to do the same things i did to my usb drive (install clover, clover configurator, copy kext, drivers64UEFI etc) on my SSD where Mac OS is installed on?

Thnx, i installed Clover on the SSD, now i am going to copy all the files from my usb stick. I hope that doesn't make it crash. After that i can remove my usb stick and try to boot in Mac OS without the USB?

And after that i can reinstall my M.2 SSD with windows? 

Or is another sequence better?

Thanks for your help

Explain better

have you one disk only for OSX and Windows (not good idea because it is more difficult to configure)

Please add a signature so people can understand better

Thnx, i installed Clover on the SSD, now i am going to copy all the files from my usb stick. I hope that doesn't make it crash. After that i can remove my usb stick and try to boot in Mac OS without the USB?

And after that i can reinstall my M.2 SSD with windows? 

Or is another sequence better?

Thanks for your help

ok now is more clear

you have also a 1080 ti so you have to also install correct web driver (based on your osx version number)

My advice is:
take care of your working usb pen for now

then install on your OSX ssd with this option selected (see image)

then with clover configuration usb Pen partition and copy (replace) it on ssd disk

then remove USB pen and try to boot with your ssd disk (remember to check apfs.efi in drivers64uefi if you have converted your disk in apfs)

you should start in VESA mode (no acceleration basic gfx osx driver )

from there you can start to install NVIDIA WEB Driver and solve future problem :-)

pS IMHO for installation you can also use always 1080 ti like I do...

x299 is newer than x99 but it is working the same for more parts

also

specify  osx version and SMBios you are using

for windows part it quite simple 

you can install on your m2 drive as you would do normally then in your bios in boot option you can configure it like I do

first boot disk UEFI OSX disk, second disk M2 disk with windows

In my case I am using clover boot loader to start and then in boot clover menu I choose which system from which I want to boot

post-468967-0-59122000-1516465416_thumb.png

Kexts which are working in that folder can be only copied inside it

Thanks! that worked!

I can now boot into Mac OS without the usb stick. if i need to install kext, do i simply copy them to the SSD/EFI/Clover/Kext/Other folder? or do i need to install software for that?

Thanks,

It seemed to work, the only problem i have is that it won't boot anymore after NVidia with the GTX 1080 ti.

The steps i did:

• Install the Web drivers. Reboot without making them the default.
  • Edit config.plist and activate the NVIDIA Web drivers.
  • Use the NVIDIA Preference Pane to use the NVIDIA drivers.
  • Reboot.

The error i get:

fs_get_inode_with_hint:7825: failed to load inode 699665 ret 22

Thanks,

It seemed to work, the only problem i have is that it won't boot anymore after NVidia with the GTX 1080 ti.

The steps i did:

• Install the Web drivers. Reboot without making them the default.
  • Edit config.plist and activate the NVIDIA Web drivers.
  • Use the NVIDIA Preference Pane to use the NVIDIA drivers.
  • Reboot.

The error i get:

fs_get_inode_with_hint:7825: failed to load inode 699665 ret 22

there are different chance to solve it and some guide on the air are not correct

which SMBios are you using?

and with which version of osx?

put also here if you can your clover folder after that information

ok

I have asked before but maybe you have not read..before installing webdriver

now on clover boot menu press o and then in graphics section disable flag on Nvidia web

if it is not working

always in boot menu press space bar and select nv_diasble =1 option

???

you have a installation of windows to see this osx disk or other method to see it?

If so try to mount efi partition with Clover configurator and then put apfs file in driver64uefi

Copy your apfs on a second usb disk formatted with hfs or fat32

Boot to your installer, open terminal.

diskutil list # Check if you can see your BOOT USB Stick there. Search for the EFI partition on your usb stick. most likely it will be something like diskXs1. Also look out for your transfer USB stick. 

diskutil mount diskXs1 (your EFI partition you discovered before)

diskutil mount diskXsX (your transfer USB Stick)

ls /Volumes/ # this command will show you all mounted drives. You should see there your EFI partition and your transfer disk

cp /Volumes/YourTransferStick/apfs.efi /Volumes/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ # make sure the paths are correct

Thanks UcaUca,

I tried this but it still doesn't boot. I am going to try the same thing again but then copy my whole EFI folder over from my USB stick to the SSD, maybe that will work again.

Otherwise i'll have to install everything again.

before to reinstall (you should because I read in your old posts you have use some not supported method here to create a bootable usb pen so it should be better create a "vanilla usb installer pen" so you know what is installed in your system)

try to boot with -s as bootargs (clover option) and in this way you could delete nvidiawebkext inside your Library/Extension folder

and see if system starts again

If your system was working before webdriverinstallation it means that you have yet inside driver64uefi folder apfs.efi so your error could be other problem related

SMBios you use 18.3 (you said) maybe could need to patch apple device policy and if so you have different way to solve this problem

Newest osx version (ie SA for iMac pro) if you set a ImacPro 1.1 smbios does not need to patch policy after Nvidia web installation, for this reason I have asked many times which version you were installing

If you can put some informations it could be simpler to go on! :-)

Thanks UcaUca,

I tried this but it still doesn't boot. I am going to try the same thing again but then copy my whole EFI folder over from my USB stick to the SSD, maybe that will work again.

Otherwise i'll have to install everything again.

Edited by Guest

@slurpi. 

Returning to our earlier convo. 

Updated my Bios on Gigabyte Aorus 3 to F8a and installed newest version of Clover. Mac os now correctly sees my RAM speed at 3200MHZ. 

Bandwidth on multicore now gone up to 45GB/s from 36GB/s.

Geekbench score is pretty much exactly the same as yours and my Cinebench has gone up to 1918 from 1888 which was my previous best. 

• Like 1

sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count

kextstat|grep -y x86plat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode

Here are my answers:

Paulos-iMac-Pro:Downloads pabreu$ sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count
Paulos-iMac-Pro:Downloads pabreu$ kextstat|grep -y x86plat
   88    1 0xffffff7f8338e000 0x17000    0x17000    com.apple.driver.X86PlatformPlugin (1.0.0) EF412897-6F2B-33E8-8D54-8100B840DA28 <87 66 22 13 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
  125    1 0xffffff7f833a5000 0x7000     0x7000     com.apple.driver.X86PlatformShim (1.0.0) 6BD728B5-279A-39A8-BA17-43AF09164971 <88 87 13 7 4 3>
Paulos-iMac-Pro:Downloads pabreu$ kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
Paulos-iMac-Pro:Downloads pabreu$ sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode
machdep.xcpm.mode: 1

No difference if I boot with -xcpm or without. And no difference in Intel Power Gadget if I use SSDT from ssdtprgen or not. So it seems that xcpm is native for iMacPro. 

Here's how 2 runs of Cinebench look like:

4.png

(Power at idle is usually 8W, you see 20W there because of the screen shot command)

@slurpi. 

Updated my Bios on Gigabyte Aorus 3 to F8a and installed newest version of Clover. Mac os now correctly sees my RAM speed at 3200MHZ. 

Geekbench score is pretty much exactly the same as yours and my Cinebench has gone up to 1918 from 1888 which was my previous best. 

No difference for me with latest Clover. And Cinebench gives me the same score, around 1920 (twice 1917 and once 1923).

About NVIDIA WebDrivers:

I find the latest Clover still needs the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. Without this, nvidia web drivers are not used.

I agree in all you said only about Nvidia web drivers I have some doubt because in my case I have not EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and no RCScript installed (my system does not have native NVRAM in any case) and for me it is working

If you does not inject plugintype=1 in other way try if you can to disable ssdt (piker alpha generated) and post again xcpm terminal output

In my case that value stay to 0 also using ImacPro 1.1 smbios

If yours stays to 1..it is a big improvement for direct support of new Hackintosh

Ps

then I agree with you that with latest platform and some kind of cpu many and different patches or method produce the same performance and IPG output

post-468967-0-38710300-1516519627_thumb.png

I agree in all you said only about Nvidia web drivers I have some doubt because in my case I have not EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and no RCScript installed (my system does not have native NVRAM in any case) and for me it is working

Yes, I find this strange too. This is what I tried:

1. Using only the NVIDIA Preference Panel to activate the drivers. EmuVariableUefi-64.efi active. No webdrivers selected in config.plist. This works with iMac18,3, but does not work with iMacPro1,1.

2. Use NVIDIA Preference Panel to activate the drivers. EmuVariableUefi-64.efi active. webdrivers selected in config.plist. This works with iMac18,3, and with iMacPro1,1.

3. Use NVIDIA Preference Panel to activate the drivers. No EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. webdrivers selected in config.plist. This works with iMac18,3, and does not work with iMacPro1,1.

4. Same as 3. but select webdrivers during boot, by pressing the space bar. Does not work with iMacPro1,1.

So you see only version 2. works for me. Very strange.

If you does not inject plugintype=1 in other way try if you can to disable ssdt (piker alpha generated) and post again xcpm terminal output

In my case that value stay to 0 also using ImacPro 1.1 smbios

If yours stays to 1..it is a big improvement for direct support of new Hackintosh

Ps

then I agree with you that with latest platform and some kind of cpu many and different patches or method produce the same performance and IPG output

plugintype is commented out in my config.plist. I think this means it is disabled. But anyway I tried the 3 combinations:

No SSDT, no -xcpm

Np SSDT, -xcpm

SSDT, -xcpm

and I always got the same answers from your commands.

So it seems to me that we have native XPM with iMacPro1,1.