Natit Kext for Dual Displays

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

james2mart

james2mart

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 344 posts
Sorry rammjet, been there done that. No luck. I've browsed IORegistryExplorer, etc. and not found EDIDs. SwitchResX provides me the EDIDs though, so I'm grateful.

dm_webd

dm_webd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Retired Developers
  • 63 posts

np_ would probably be the best way to go about finding out how to auto-EDID. I'm going to try shortly - also check out the read-edid website source >

http://john.fremlin....inux/read-edid/

Code that short has to be easy to port. Only difficulty would be IOKit's integration.

I have checked that code and the calls to VBE done there is easy, as real-mode calls are available. I'm not sure about real-mode calls are available in the Mac OS kernel(I doubt it). So my approach will be to try using the VBE/Core 3.0 protected mode interface. But that requires adding entries to the GDT and I haven't written code before to do that.
I have just finished making the headers with the structures needed for the GDT pointer and entries, and I have an idea for the asm code to add the entries. I don't know if it'll work, or crash the system. This code needs to run at ring0 (I would believe the code in a kext is run at this level, but I'm not sure as kernel programming is not something I've done too much of - especially regarding the mac kernel).
I'm off to work now, but as soon as I get home I'll try to make some code to access the GDT, then add entries and hope that it won't crash.
If anyone has more insight into the workings of the GDT and the mac os kernel, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts about my approach.

Wallstreet

Wallstreet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I'm dual booting WinXP on the same hardware...if there's any information you need me to grab (and a way to get it), please let me know.

aberracus

aberracus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
Guy you are making history!

im jumping like a rabbit!

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts
np_ is pissed that with Titan and Natit, people are dissing Macvidia and he is threatening to quit developing Macvidia for cards that Apple drivers don't support.

Might want to stop over at Macvidia and help him feel better:

http://macvidia.star...id,63/topic,932

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,245 posts

Might want to stop over at Macvidia and help him feel better:

http://macvidia.star...id,63/topic,932

Thank You, Rammjet :angel:

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
Also success here with N .02, scr. resolutions and dual display (except mirroring, which shows empty blue screen on 2nd display, but don't need mirroring).

//edit: Want to add that it also takes me around 18-20 seconds for the GUI to appear, like someone posted before. Will check the logs.

CI/QE now works too. Great.

Thanks.

dingnecros

dingnecros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thank you Thank You. Both my monitors are working now with my Quadro FX 3400 PIC-E 256MB card. One is a 2405FPW and the other is a HC194D both of them work beautifully with full QE CI support. I am using the Mifki kernel with Jas 10.4.8

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

//edit: Want to add that it also takes me around 18-20 seconds for the GUI to appear, like someone posted before. Will check the logs.

This is apparently "normal" for the hack, I have the same issue. Setting the EDID's does not appear to fix it either, so apparently some other key-value pairs need to be set.

jester1o1

jester1o1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Didn't work for me - 1 screen comes up (vga) and the other stays black (dvi). I also get the delay starting the gui.

Should I try putting different values in the plist? What should I try changing?

Specs: 6200TC, Venice 3200+, Nforce4.

Oh and I have an ioreg - but Camino freaks out when I try to attach it.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
I do not know if this works with AMD systems (or Nforce4 chipsets) or not. If anybody has dual displays working on an AMD system, please post the details here.

You can try the v0.01 Natit.kext (which leaves out the "@0,NVMT" key) here: http://forum.insanel...t...ost&id=5778

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

I do not know if this works with AMD systems (or Nforce4 chipsets) or not. If anybody has dual displays working on an AMD system, please post the details here.

Yep. Check my sig.
Forgot to add: VGA + DVI->VGA (Optiquest V75 & ViewSonic PF775, both CRT's).
I have the 6200TD (non-shared memory), not the TC one.

jester, I put the id in geforce and nvda* kexts, maybe that will help.

sandwer

sandwer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 97 posts

Attached is a version of Natit.kext which should work to drive dual displays in extended desktop mode (mirror mode does not appear to work yet).

This is almost exactly the same as Dm_webd's 2nd version except one key, "NVCAP", has been added to the kext's Info.plist "entiresToAdd" dictionary.

"NVCAP = <04000100 00000300 0c000000 0000000a 00000000 >

Please test and post results here.

EDIT: This worked for me with a 3D Fusion 7600GS (VGA / DVI) with the two VGA Samsung 712n's using one DVI->VGA adapter.

[code=auto:0]
Note: This might only work on 10.4.8:

Bofors - Been dying to try this since you posted it. Only had the cojones today to upgrade to 10.4.8 and nVidia. 3D Fusion DS 256mb - VGA only through VGA port, no DVI (and no VGA out of the DVI port through the adaptor either). Monitors - two SGI 1600SW's through a pair of SGI Multilink adaptors (VGA and DVI)
Odd - its the same card as your original test card.

On bootup, if I have one monitor attached to the DVI port, I see the BIOS screens displayed - but the screen goes black. The monitor still shows a connection tho. JaS 10.4.8, Semthex's kernel, Pentium 4 3.06.

//R

jester1o1

jester1o1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Yep. Check my sig.
Forgot to add: VGA + DVI->VGA (Optiquest V75 & ViewSonic PF775, both CRT's).
I have the 6200TD (non-shared memory), not the TC one.

jester, I put the id in geforce and nvda* kexts, maybe that will help.

I have the id in Geforce.kext and am getting QE and CI ok (and did with Titan as well).

on another note:
Would setting the 'mirror' bit in windowserver.plist force the machine to mirror the displays? If I can't get dual I would like to force my card to always display on both vga and dvi (instead of which ever one it feels like using)

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

On bootup, if I have one monitor attached to the DVI port, I see the BIOS screens displayed - but the screen goes black. The monitor still shows a connection tho. JaS 10.4.8, Semthex's kernel, Pentium 4 3.06.

I am wondering if the problem has to do with the GMA950 on your board. Do you have it disabled in BIOS?

revert

revert

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Didn't work for me, tried Natit 0.02. Syncmaster174v VGA works, Syncmaster 171v VGA > DVI black screen.

sandwer

sandwer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 97 posts

I am wondering if the problem has to do with the GMA950 on your board. Do you have it disabled in BIOS?

Yes, its the only way the nVidia will work.
I'm going to try a clean install on a different partition. Who knows what rubbish is still hanging around from various upgrades over the last year...

//R

revert

revert

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Here's a screen shot if anyone can help. I would love to have dual monitors working!

Attached Files

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
Make sure you guys are erasing the .kextcache and .mkext when adding or changing the Natit kext:

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

If you forget to do this, the kext changes will not be noticed.

revert

revert

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I've deleted them everytime. Tried 0.01 and 0.02, so far it's not go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy