[HOW TO] Upgrade your 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 with new kernel

aberracus

118 posts in this topic

Ok, I tried to apply the method to a 10.4.5 installation on a laptop with a core duo t2300

- I downloaded and installed the combo upgrade from apple

- I replaced the file in the extensions folder and the kernel with the one from Vitaly

- I deleted the two files from library folder

- I repaired permissions

I rebooted and loaded the kernel with the various parameters but I got a kernel panic; I tried to replace kernel and .kext with others (daemoned) but still had the same problem...

I don't know what's wrong, might be the version of some .kext...

I can't post the panic.log cause it won't be saved (probably because the panic happens before the filesystem is loaded)...

in the error some .kext are shown in the end (iokit.pcifamily, something about acpi... didn't write them down)

Is there something I can do to solve the problem? Or should I just try to install 10.4.8 from jas reseed? (wich I'm getting right now, but it'll take a while)

thanks for your help; I really love this community :)

edit: after installing from scratch with jas 10.4.8 I had the same problem, but I just needed to delete iopccard kext and it booted fine :)

hey guys

i tried that method and it made my mac crash ... propably because of onyx as someone mentioned

the thing is i could follow until step 8

when i wanted to do step 9 i couldnt find the mach_kernel file but i saw it before during the installation

so i skipped that and just tried to copy the new mach_kernel and then i got a warning whcih said " you cant replace the item because it it invisible"

i was confused so i opened onyx a second time and enabled the another show hidden option below the first one

then it hung up

just could move the mouse , dock disappeared ... cd drive did not open anymore....

so i couldnt do anything -> last possibility was to reboot manually

and when it wants to boot mac now it just shows the darwin screen and reboots again and again.....

i am very very ftustated.....

Hi,

In the past I have successfully done three Jas 10.4.6 -> 10.4.8 updates, but now I somehow got it wrong on a 915G / pentium 630 system. I did the update just as usual and as stated in this guide, threw in mifki's newest kernel and SMBIOS. Repaired permission, deleted Extensions.* ...

After reboot the computer now halts at the notorios blue screen with pointer. If I boot with -v, I see that the machine is continuously yelling out "coreservicesd crashed". Seems to me like the decryption that should be integrated into mifki's kernel does not suddenly work? Or can there be any other explanations to this?

Guys i tried thats method with semthex kernel and when i reboot the system, it not start more, i install and install various times, and nothing. I'm believed than 8.8.1 not work with SIS chipset and the old P IV Prescott than have SSE3, but not is capable of work with none 8.8.1 kernel available.

Someone with SIS motherboard based, obtain the new 8.8.1 kernel, using this method?

I installed 10.4.6 JaS, then 10.4.8 Combo. Put AppleSMBIOS.kext, replaced kernel. Then Installed MacVidia, just in case, now when I boot it hangs at logon window started.

I tried all sorts of options -x, -v, fsb=133, -nohpet, -legacy. But nope nothing works. I installed again, but didnot install MacVidia and still same problem.

Someone help me please.

BTW the 10.4.8 DVD also conks out, just before showing the Blue Screen, where u select language.

I have a Celeron D 315 with NO NX and using semthex kernel. I tried Mifki kernel, but it did not work.

So do we have a kernel, that will work in my system?? I havenot been in touch with the latest news.

Heya Sevo,

If you get to the point where is shows you the kern version and name, start up with -v -legacy, it means you are there and it should be working. It is something I see a lot with the Neb kern by Semthex,

Let me know how it goes.

Thing is, I did this on a 915 board... and everything worked 100% using -v -legacy,

when I moved it to my 865 with radeon 9800XT ... it stoped working though...

so I am still at the drawing board....

here is a more complete step by step you can try.......

1: Install 10.4.4 (4.5,4.6,4.7) as a normal bootable install.

2: Boot into newly installed system.

Lets begin backing up files that you will need to replace back after 10.4.8 combo update.

3A: sudo -s

3B: mkdir /backup

3C: cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/* /backup

Step 3D only needs to be done if you have a 915 based mobo

3D: cp -R /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework /backup

Leave Terminal open as you will need it again shortly.

4: Run Apple 10.4.8 Combo update - DO NOT REBOOT WHEN IT COMPLETES

Wait until combo update completes - DO NOT REBOOT WHEN IT COMPLETES

Now comes kernel choice and restoring important files that we just backed up

5: Now that combo update is finished, I suggest using a kernel with r2 support built in at least to help with first bootup post combo update. After you're up and running you can use decrypts if you want, and use a kernel without r2 support.

5A: Back to Terminal type mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.unpatched

5B: cp /location/to/your/patched/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

Steps 6,7,8 only need to be done if you use GMA (900 or 950) based video.

6: Run this in Terminal: cp -R /backup/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /System/Library/Extensions

7: Steps 7A to 7C to be done only if you have a 915 based mobo

7A: rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext

7B: rm -fr /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

7C: cp -R /backup/OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks

8: Step 8A only to be done if you have a 950 based mobo

8A: rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel915.kext

9: Copy this AppleSMBIOS.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

10: Copy this IOATAFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions. You might be able to skip this step if you have and ICH7 or ICH8 based motherboard chipset. Trial and error :D

11: Repair permissions with Disk Utility.

12: Reboot now (and pray).

13: Upon first bootup, osx will initiate one reboot on its own, don't be alarmed.

14: Enjoy!

Good luck on it working for you!

Hi there,

first problem – first post.

I tried to install vitaliy's kernel the way it's described in this thread. I installed it on my testdrive which was already running JaS 10.4.8 (Kernel 8.4.1).

Now, system doesn't boot. A few seconds "Darwin X86 /" appears, but then the computer restarts. I didn't add "-f -v -x" or something else to the command line, because I don't know how to get there. Pressing "F8" doesn't work for me. (It doesn't even work for my other – working – partition).

I am using a boot system with windows, ubuntu linux and two times osx86. The OSes are loaded by the grub loader of ubuntu. Might that cause the problem?

Another possible hint: the file "mach_kernel" I replaced on my testdrive isn't invisible even though I told onyx not to show hidden files. All over hidden files aren't visible anymore.

Maybe, someone could help me. Would be nice.

Thank You

macster_x

Hi all, out there.

Same problem here as seen by macster.

After I've done all the updates and kernel/smbios.kext-movement I restart and the mac does the restarts all over again. Can't boot with F8 or something.

Help would be great.

well...

Cant upgrade. i've done all the steps but when i reboot it just wont go to mac. just reboots after the loadings...no visual screen.. the 10.4.6 worked fine

specs:

PIV prescott 3.2Ghz SSE3 revisionD0

chipset via

1Gb ram

grafic card nvidia 6200 agp..

any ideas?

To add to the guide I posted before, I have now done it with an install of Jas old kern 10.4.8 I had,

Download the newest Beta 7 semthex kern

Follow the steps, Update with 10.4.8Combo Updater then replace the IOATAFamily, SMBios and Kern, Fix Permissions, and restart,

First restart will go to : Now fixing diskarb sessions or something similar... it will fail... restart... and then on restart add -v -legacy to your boot sequince.... you can add it to your plist.boot later....

and then it will just work....

I lost my ATI 9800XT CI/QE, but prasys has a fix.

Hope you guys have more luck....

I have it down to a fine art now :)

I lost my mind reading this topic.

Sorry I have a 10.4.6 installed on my PC with sempron 3000+ 1gb ram nvidia 9500XT so what Should I do to install a 10.4.8 on my PC?? I tried with jas patch for amd SSE3... but I have an errore when i try to start the installation like the package is damaged...

PLease help

• 3 weeks later...

Got it working !!!

Had problem with kernel from this post so downloaded the one from macnubs method.

Installed with this guide and booted to desktop in 2nd attempt :)

Installed natit with pacifist for video, added AppleHDA.kext for audio & changed a kext to make intel ethernet work !!! ( had no problems with ATM )

Now i have fully working 10.4.8 that screams !!!

As always,

Thanks to Aberracus for the guide, people behind natit & the community !!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi guys. I am just starting out on this hackintosh thing and I have successfully installed 10.4.6 an old DVD I know but works on my Asus A8Fm laptop except for WIFI. I want to upgrade to 10.4.8 so I can at least install some recent apps. I read the guide here but I can't download the mach_kernels and other files posted at file factory since it is no longer there. Can any of you guys post or relink the files? My system is C2D with SSE3. Have tried some other tutorials - paulicat's, but I end up with the boot loop thing. Thanks.