[HOW TO] Upgrade your 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 with new kernel

aberracus

118 posts in this topic

Keep us posted, and .. your amd is sse3, isn't it?

yes its sse3

1st try no luck

but i didnt download the combo update

i just replaced the mach kernel with the new mach kernel and repaired permissions :D

now i cant even boot in -s mode to replace (too many yellow lines in darwin) ,thats not problem i reinstall through vmware and i will boot natively again for full test

ofcourse now i am downloading the 200mb combo update and i will follow the steps :(

lets see ...

EDIT: I thought its 200mb but its 300! ...1 hour to finish the d/l ...

The new AMD kernel is no go for me.

I'm getting a kernel panic on com.apple.driver.appleintelcpupowermanagement.

Also 64bit seems to be enabled, -legacy doesn't let it boot either.

-s, -x, nohpet=1, fsb=225 doesn't work either, always the same panic.

just came back from reboot and it looks like it worked, only thing i noticed is that it only gives 1024x768 resolution for gma950, i just gotta figure out how to set it to the resolution i want and i'm set. thanks for the tutorial!

Guest goodtime

Nice guide.

If you have an bad JaS DVD Install, you can use this guide to fix any frameworks or junk that might have gotten messed up. Worked for me.

I will test this on a patched 10.4.8 install and see if it works. :spam:

If you want to backup your Extensions or Frameworks while retaining file permissions and resource forks before you apply any updates enter this from the command line

ditto -V -rsrc /System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/destinationname/Extensions

ditto -V -rsrc /System/Library/Frameworks /Volumes/destinationname/Frameworks

I'd been using the ditto command much more lately than plain old "cp". It works great for cloning directories to another install or backup partition.

Keep in mind, if you backup patched directories, not all the frameworks or extensions will work in an unpatched new kernel system. But it's good save them incase you need a Kext Network plugin, etc.

GT

Thanks

But remeber to use saved frameworks and extensions with caution, lets try to use only 10.4.8 kexts when possible.

(still there are like 40% on the real mac 10.4.8 of the extensions coming from the past.) im gonna copy the list from the imac im working right now and compare with my iHack.

Well,

In my case above procedure gives exactly the same result as using JaS 10.4.8 instal DVD (original, no re-seed). :spam:

-GUI is in 1024x768 (no possibility to change resolution)

-No QE/CI

-"About this MAC" crashes.

So now it looks to me like 8.8.1 kernel problem.

Symptoms are exactly the same for JaS DVD and this procedure. This procedure changes only 1 .kext and kernel - so problem probably lays in kernel :-(((

My spec is:

P4DUAL775 (i915 GMA900), P630 CPU, 1G RAM, raptor 74G.

br

Guest goodtime
Well,

In my case above procedure gives exactly the same result as using JaS 10.4.8 instal DVD (original, no re-seed). :)

-GUI is in 1024x768 (no possibility to change resolution)

-No QE/CI

-"About this MAC" crashes.

So now it looks to me like 8.8.1 kernel problem.

Symptoms are exactly the same for JaS DVD and this procedure. This procedure changes only 1 .kext and kernel - so problem probably lays in kernel :-(((

My spec is:

P4DUAL775 (i915 GMA900), P630 CPU, 1G RAM, raptor 74G.

br

This patch won't fixes specific devices that need drivers.

My About mac works on my i915GUX P4 HT 3gz system from JaS DVD and from the Combo Update.

I was able to get the 915 kext to work after from trouble shooting.

I had to use my old Network plugin's to get networking to work for my NetGear and old AppleYukon. I used the new IOPCINetwork family from 10.4.8 and insert the existing hacked plugins into the IO PCI Network plugin's kext.

I'm pretty sure most people will still need a couple pieces and parts of old stuff for devices unless the new kext's just happen to work by chance. For instance, Apple won't support GMA900, since it was only used in the developer version of Macs. You'll have to use old kexts for GMA900 or hack the GMA950 kext from 10.4.8.

We're still using iHacks not iMacs,

1%-2% Hackintosh in software.

GT

JackHair just delete this kext. This kernel works on AMD only with patched binaries, because there are a lot of cpuid checks inside Apple binaries, which apple doesn't provide under open source license (currently I'm finding the way how to emulate they). If you have problem with boot, just boot into safe mode (-x key) and make diskutil repairPermissions.

JackHair just delete this kext. This kernel works on AMD only with patched binaries, because there are a lot of cpuid checks inside Apple binaries, which apple doesn't provide under open source license (currently I'm finding the way how to emulate they). If you have problem with boot, just boot into safe mode (-x key) and make diskutil repairPermissions.

I've been playing around abit, after removing AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext i can boot into single with: -s fsb=225 nohpet=1 -legacy

when i do /etc/rc it crashes when trying to load the nvidia drivers.

I've tried the new Titan.kext to no avail.

at least it boots up to single now, it's a start.

Nice work :)

edit:

after removing the nvidia kexts im getting diskarb

Just an FYI, here's what worked for me (didnt want to wait for the updated JaS 10.4.8):

Installed JaS 10.4.6 and booted into it.

Installed the JaS 10.4.7 update.

Installed Apple 10.4.8 Combo Update

Removed AppleSMBIOS.kext, mach_kernel, extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache

Replaced mach_kernel from mifki v2

Replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext from mifki v2

Ran Disk Utility and repaired permissions

Booted.

All working great, About this Mac doesnt crash.

See sig for spec.

just as a postscript, i installed the v3.5 of neopheus' borisbadenov installer, but it resulted in a black screen. i did some trail-and-error in single user, and figured out that if i changed ATY_Wormy's match back to IONDRV and changed ATY_Alopias's to IOPCIMatch, it worked. :(

Hi,

I am on AMD and just to make sure not to f*ck my system I have a few questions before I check it:

At Point 7. it says

7. after installing the combo update (the offical update) replace the applesmbios.kext in the system/library/extensions (first trash teh old one in that folder) it will require you to authenticate

- What applesmbios.kext is meant here? is it simply the old one that i have installed already or a kind of

special version that I missed maybe?

- Talking about the new kernel and AMD, this will bring my native install into GUI?

- I don't need any decrypted binaries, right? I just install the combo update from the apple site over my old

existing 10.4.8 (maybe with pacifist) load the new kernel and boom there it is?

that sounds too easy to be true... ;)

Hi Guys!

Great news for AMD users!

I have already 10.4.8, but with old kernel (Jas 10.4.6 + MacOSXUpd10.4.7.pkg.zip + MacOSXUpd10.4.8AMD_SSE3_V2.pkg, kernel 8.4.1).

Do I need to download and install official updates from the Apple website?

Where can I find AppleSMBIOS.kext from mifki v2?

I got already the new kernel for AMDs, but can't see a link to the mifki's kext file.

Do I need to uninstall macVidia drivers first?

Do I need to download and install official updates from the Apple website?

yes

Where can I find AppleSMBIOS.kext from mifki v2?

I have it with me on my computer. I need to get someone's permission before uploading it

Do I need to uninstall macVidia drivers first?

Yes , messes up the display , thats for sure

if you want it in the pkg form , i have it . I can send it to you via IRC or somwhere. just meet me on IRC - prasys-...

I tried this method and I can boot into single user mode, but if I attempt to get into the GUI I get:

kextd_watch_volumes: couldn't set up diskarb sessions

diskarb isn't ready yet; we'll try again soon

It eventually gives up trying and just sits there... waiting... then it reboots eventually :)

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Edit: Ok this is strange, after a couple of attempts it booted up really fast and into GUI...

Woohoo! Thanks for the install guide!