Dell XPS 15 (9560, Version 2017) compatibility information

Krim404

186 posts in this topic

I know this is weird. 

In clover, I removed all patches under CPU

and guess what... trackpad back on track =S

might be a coincidence .

Report back after it works for a few hours ;)

There were many times I thought I did something that solved it but then it happened again :(

FYI, my cpu section has always been empty.  Not saying it won't work for you.  If it does, then congrats!

Remember, if the fan is running, the trackpad will not stop working.  The true test comes with the temp goes down and fans stop.

Any chance the lack of CPU patches has made the fans spin up? LOL

Got a WiFi USB whilst I wait for my card to arrive from China and using my bluetooth mouse for now.
Now to see if we can get sleep working properly...

Thanks for the kext!

Here's a modified kext that auto initializes the touchpad driver when a bad signal is detected.  I've been testing it for the past hour and it has successfully recovered from over a dozen errors.  There's a brief pause as the driver inits.  Unfortunately this is as good as it's gonna get until we figure out the underlying issue.

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Great, thanks,

That's got me further but still not enough to boot the installer. I check the BIOS settings and everything looks right to me?

I've attached a picture of where it hangs (with it verbose)

I got the same problems as yours . First the ++++message . Then i used the config.plist provided by @Andy^^ . The installation proceeds further but now i get a garbled screen . I tried changing a few bios settings according to @wmchris guide but that didn't make a difference.

Config : i5 7300HQ,1TB HDD+32GB msata cache drive .FullHD

BIOS : settings as suggested

Any suggestions to this problem ?

post-2008892-0-52939300-1489295270_thumb.jpg

post-2008892-0-20105400-1489295275_thumb.jpg

post-2008892-0-93664300-1489295278_thumb.jpg

post-2008892-0-03836000-1489295283_thumb.jpg

Hi,

as far as i know the Dell XPS 15 Version 2017 should be compatible with Mac OS Sierra. I dont own such a device, yet - but i'm pretty sure it's basically the same device as the 9550 just with upgraded CPU and GPU.

So my tutorial (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/319764-guide-dell-xps-15-9550-sierra-10122-quick-installation/) should still be valid with it, but with some minor modifications:

• replacement of the wifi card is a mandatory. Dell published a few days ago to use Killer Wifi (Atheros 2x2) instead of the Broadcom 3x3 used in the 9550. This card is and will be incompatible with hackintosh.
  • if rumors are correct, dell will exclusively use hynix ssds, which are currently incompatible with PikerAlphas NVMe driver hack. At the moment there is no known solution for this, so buying it with the smallest possible SSD is a must (for replacement)
  • because of the new CPU generation the ig-platform-id will be changed. After release they will be published pretty early

Hi,

Does anyone know if Bluetooth with killer 1535 is working?

And does anyone could write some wifi+bluetooth card replacement hackintosh-compatible for this laptop? I saw the dw1560 but it's not so much available and have very long time to ship (looked in Amazon and eBay).

Thanks

Just follow the XPS 9360 guide in the other hackintosh forum and use VoodooHDA 2.8.9 for audio.  9560 does not need DVMT-Prealloc change.

Tried VoodooHDA but audio via headphones was horribly distorted. Speakers were fine though...Any idea how to fix?

ok, Audio working, (Voodoo) GPU Intel working. 

I whole day backtracked the patches @wmchris had in his tut. 

and I crossed them with other forums.

now the machine feels fine, the fans are running, going up when hot, and down then quiet. 

Attaching the CLOVER folder from my mem stick, so it can be used on others. 

fixed also trackpad by the looks of it. 

I changed the FakeID IntelGFX must be 0x12345678 when installing, then when installed, I changed it back to 0x19168086 this gave me full support, 

and I applied the 4K patch from wmchris, tho it looks like my resolution is only 1920x1080 ? but then again, it does not look like it hehe... 

Battery measurements, and the way it talks to the display ( controls dimming when low bat ) 

looks like it works like a charm. 

Todo:

Wifi, still using Thumbdrive, tho I believe it´s this chipset Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 so more googling. 

CPU Checking, and maxing, testing different CPU ID´s to see the difference 

SMBIOS see how high I can go 

Thanks so much for sharing your Clover directory. It's helped me get fully up and running except for audio.

Voodoo gives nasty distortion through headphones...any advice appreciated!

Hmm, wierd ... Voodoo did work perfectly here.

But I had to go back to win10 ,

as this where a production laptop for us.

Since sleep mode , wifi and nvidia didn't work, then I couldn't use the machine as intended in OS X :/

On other hands, for people who where thinking of switching from Mac tho this "wannabe" MacBook killer...

I also noticed weirdness with the mousepad, other than the freezing, it where more of the feel and touching, that sucked compared with my MacBook Pro. ( that issue is also in windows, so usage of photoshop with brush tools sucks )

I have also always wondered wtf dell where thinking when they made the charger, the light on the charging cable, that you plugs into the dell... wtf ....

first off, it only lights in my eyes, I can't use it in dark spaces to find the charging input, as the light beem goes against me, instead of as a flashlight showing the way to the charging input.

Second , it does not give any information, like Mac book pro's charger . Apple chargers changes Colour depending on the battery, full = green , charge = orange

And what's with the {censored} short and huge power cable , from the charger to the wall stick ?

Apple have right on one thing, touch on a laptop that can't rotate screens is also more a wtf, it's only getting in the way.

The feeling when closing and opening the laptop ( in windows 10 ) sucks. OS X , has a 5 second, time until you can work, start typing etc. windows 10 .... uses from 30 sek to a minute. And sometimes you see screen glitches, the password " page " is laggy... gee.

Anyone else tested it as a switch ?

Can anyone help me please? I'm on a XPS 9560 512gb 16gb ram 4k model and when I boot with Clover I can see all the drives (I'm using the Andy's configuration)...the problem is when the installer start: I can't see my internal hard drive so I can't set it as drive to install OS X (it also writes that the usb drive where I'm running the installer is an internal drive)

Can anyone help me please? I'm on a XPS 9560 512gb 16gb ram 4k model and when I boot with Clover I can see all the drives (I'm using the Andy's configuration)...the problem is when the installer start: I can't see my internal hard drive so I can't set it as drive to install OS X (it also writes that the usb drive where I'm running the installer is an internal drive)

Make sure you have set to AHCI mode in BIOS

thank you for reply @esotera,

I resolved by forcing the loading of kexts from my clover config.plist (so it loaded nvme kext). Now I'm running Sierra with Clover 4012 that recognizes my intel i7 but there's graphical lags caused by the fact that there's an Intel Unknown 31mb as graphics card...I tried changing FakeID and platform-id in config.plist but if don't set at least one of them to "0x12345678" the system doesn't boot and verbose mode says about "Failed loading graphic firmware"...any help?

thank you for reply @esotera,

I resolved by forcing the loading of kexts from my clover config.plist (so it loaded nvme kext). Now I'm running Sierra with Clover 4012 that recognizes my intel i7 but there's graphical lags caused by the fact that there's an Intel Unknown 31mb as graphics card...I tried changing FakeID and platform-id in config.plist but if don't set at least one of them to "0x12345678" the system doesn't boot and verbose mode says about "Failed loading graphic firmware"...any help?

1) Boot into OSX with 31mb graphics

2) Run these two patches to enable 4k

sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

3) Change intelGFX id to 0x19168086

This should do the trick!

• Like 1

No problem man. If you get audio working (including headphones), let me know how you did it! Am going mad over here...

OK so I got audio working using VoodooHDA 2.8.9 + CodecCommander :)

Thought I tried this ages ago, but maybe something else wasn't right...

Webcam still not working. Any tips appreciated!

Well I'll try that for my audio :)!

I found a problem with wireless mouse maybe caused by interferences of the original wireless/Bluetooth card of Xps (where only Bluetooth works). The wireless mouse (that uses an usb adapter) lags in my hackintosh while works good in Windows. Also tried connection with a Logitech mouse via Bluetooth Unifying and it doesn't work (days ago was working with a lot of lags) in hackintosh (also doesn't work with its cable or usb adapter...maybe I have to delete all Bluetooth devices an retry connections).

But cabled mouse works good.

Any help is appreciated :)

P.S.: I tried Bluetooth hotspot from my phone and internet works with that in my hackintosh ;)

Hi all - I'm joining the party too trying to get as much working as possible on my 9560.

I have the Intel 8265 wifi/bluetooth and while its well documented that theres no support for its wifi, I did manage to use it earlier today to connect to my iphone and use the internet through it, and it was also detecting other BT devices in the area at that time too.

However, since installing VoodooHDA and CodecCommander to get audio working (which it does, at least through speakers, not yet through headphones), bluetooth doesn't seem to detect any devices now (or connect with the pre-established iphone pair any more). Not sure if thats the reason, will have to look further into it.

I have a TB16 thunderbolt dock as well, and whilst OSX doesnt appear to detect the Thunderbolt interface, I did notice something in the boot messages about Thunderbolt so it seems to be aware of it at a low level at least.

I can however confirm that I have 2 displays connected to the TB16 and they all work fine. Shame the ethernet doesn't get detected through it. That would've made up for the lack of wifi in my use case. Again more tinkering to be done here.

I'll update with more info as I find it, I'd quite like to get the bluetooth and thunderbolt working if at all possible, but otherwise its relative usable, so thanks for all the help posted here so far :)

audio is fixed in the dell xps 15 9550 thread. go to my github repository https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX and use 10.12/Post-Install/AD-Kexts/AppleHDA_sysCL

Hey wmchris,

I thought I tried EVERYTHING including your solution (thank you btw), but nothing worked for me except VoodooHDA 2.8.9 + Codec Commander. And audio after sleep doesn't work. I'll give your solution another go at some point though!

As an aside, my 9560 does not seem to go to sleep very well. Twice I've been alerted with raging temperatures and heat alarms in my bag when it appears to have gone to sleep or shut down but hasn't. Do you know of a solution to this?

Hey wmchris,

I thought I tried EVERYTHING including your solution (thank you btw), but nothing worked for me except VoodooHDA 2.8.9 + Codec Commander. And audio after sleep doesn't work. I'll give your solution another go at some point though!

As an aside, my 9560 does not seem to go to sleep very well. Twice I've been alerted with raging temperatures and heat alarms in my bag when it appears to have gone to sleep or shut down but hasn't. Do you know of a solution to this?

sleep issues happen of many different reasons, so it's not easy to give you a "have you checked this" advice... :-( if your notebook wakes up after sleeping well for a lil time: try disabling darkwake.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else having the problem of "kernel_task" eating a huge amount of ram (9.70gb) and of cpu (300%)? After some minutes from using my hackintosh I get this problem that makes the pc unusable due to its lags