[GUIDE] HP Z800 Hackintosh macOS Sierra 10.12.1

SBC-Studios

81 posts in this topic

Read my post carefully.

I have the exact same HP z800 as yours all setup and working fine.

Download my zip file with everything you need. Unzip and read the instructions.

bios setup and install files and config settings are all there.

Works great with Sierra. Very stable.

Good luck.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307064-hp-z400z600z800-workstations-os-x-1010x1011x-installation/?p=2335626

Download my Install config and files I used for install below. Should work for HP z800, z600, z400. See Link

https://www.dropbox...._Files.zip?dl=0

Hi !

Using your method I got my Z800 dual Xeon working almost perfectly on High Sierra. I just had to change the VoodooTSCSync.kext since I have a different set of CPUs and remove some boot arguments.

I have a GTX 660ti that is famous to have some graphic glitches on any setup with High Sierra for now. No big deal, most of the time everything works well.

I just have one question, I followed your guide, etc. but under System Settings => Graphics/Displays under the Bus type (PCIe), the Slot name is : Ethernet

Isn't it strange ? I think the Slot name should be something like : PCI Slot 1 or 0 maybe.

I don't know if it's a bug or just a cosmetic problem..

also the Link Width is : x16 (correct) but the Link Speed : 2.5 GT/s but some of my other cards (USB 3 for example) got a Link Speed : 5 GT/s

Maybe it's something related to DSDT, but I don't know which software can help to edit it and in a convenient user friendly way...

Thanks for your help, and really good job. Your tutorial and files helped me a lot and are a perfect start for any Z800 owner using Sierra or HS

• Like 1

Hello,

MY HW Specification:

• HP Z820 with BIOS version: 3.91
  • CPU: x2 Intel Xeon E5-2640
  • RAM: 64 GB DDR3
  • GFX: NVIDIA Quadro 4000
  • SSD: Transcend 512GB SSD230S

I'm trying to install macOS Sierra on it, but on Clover boot it halts on CPUSensors, any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Hey! Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I'm working on getting an older Z800 running for DaVinci Resolve, but I'm having 3 main issues. 

1. I created a 3 drive RAID 0 using Disk Utility and it worked fine once when I made it. As soon as I rebooted for the first time after making it, Clover will not boot; it shows a black screen and a little dash at the top like it normally does before showing the Clover boot selector. But the dash disappears and it eventually reboots. When I first installed the drives, they were formatted individually as GUID Mac OS Extended Journaled and it booted with not issue. The only difference now is they they're RAIDed. I double checked the BIOS and made sure that the internal drive boot order didn't change and it looked fine. I also tried booting from the USB I originally used to install Mac OS. Same thing. Beforehand, I routed all of the cables to use the SATA controller on the board. Thought that would be useful. 

Recap: Can't boot with internal RAID

2. I have 96GB of RAM and only 16.03GB (super weird) is being recognized. System Information does see all of the slots, but only 2 of the slots show as populated.

3. I might know the issue with this one, but I figured I'd ask since I haven't had a chance to test it out. Basically, I have two graphics cards, but only one is detected. I'm pretty sure I need to go into the BIOS and enable or whatever the verbiage is to enable the second GPU. Does that sound right?

Some Info:
Z800
Dual Intel Xeon X5690s @ 3.47 GHz
96GB RAM
Current BIOS
500GB 840 EVO SSD

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there SBC-Studios. 

Firstly - thanks for writing this guide... I have somewhat similar specs as you: 

MY HW Specification :

HP Z800  with BIOS version : 3.60

CPU: x2 4-core X5570

RAM: 24 GB

GFX:  Radeon HD-6970

SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

I've been trying to get this installed on several of my laptops with little success so hearing that there's a better chance it'll work on my Z800, I'm quite excited. I'm going to take a look at your instructions and try them out this weekend and *fingers crossed* it'll work without too much issue. 

For what it's worth, here is my experience so far: 

I followed the OP's guide in the very first post to the letter. Some of my BIOS options (2 or 3) were named slightly differently but in terms of matching them as closely as I could, that wasn't an issue. 

Then I started to install the OS after booting. It survived to the installer without any issues, I formatted my SSD to macOS (Journaled, etc) and now it's at 12 minutes remaining according to the installer. 

So far, so good. 

*** Time passes ***

*** More time passes ***

Okay, so here's where I am now: 

I've done the initial install (took longer than 12 minutes but that's okay) and rebooted off of the SSD. 

I'm walking through the setup, and there's something I was VERY surprised by - I have an atheros internal mini PCI-E wifi card on this machine since I don't have any ethernet ports nearby. It just WORKED. It didn't want to connect at first, though it was able to see all of the wifi connections. Just hitting next allowed it to connect. (Note - I realized this only after the fact - I have a router that sits between my Korg Kronos and my Computer for FTP file transfers. The computer was detecting this connection and trying to connect on ethernet FIRST and only then would it look at wifi. As soon as I turned off my ethernet, wifi became the priority and was working perfectly. I need to update the priority on this later but that explains why it was failing initially)

I'm walking through the rest of the installer right now, I'm surprised as much is working on this already. Nice. 

Okay, I also have firewire on a PCI-E card and it seemed to detect that too for my external audio interface. Brilliant. 

The only thing not working initially it seems like is the graphics though I haven't installed my audio interface yet. They're showing 1024x768 for now, but I'm hoping that an update or something I can tweak in clover will fix that. I haven't messed with it too much as of yet. I have a 144hz monitor, we'll see if I can get that working as well. I'm not sure if Mac even supports that, but it's probably worth looking into after the updates.

I'm upgrading to 10.12.6, and going to see if there's anything there that'll help. Again, haven't even looked at Clover just yet, I'll see what happens. 

*** Updated, rebooted ***

Well then. I guess I forgot to make the drive bootable... It just sits at "Attempting Boot from Hard Drive". 

I'll fix that and come back. 

Okay, so I managed to get it 'working' - when I'm running 10.12.2, things are fine except my video. It's not the correct resolution, etc. That's fine. I just figured I would go to 10.12.6 since others have it working and this COMPLETELY kills my USB ports. 

I've been trying to follow the various guides for troubleshooting USB but I'm having no luck. (And it doesn't help that I'm a complete newbie to this all as well)

Anyway, just found it odd that 12.2 is fine, but 12.6 kills USB. I'll keep looking at things when I have time but I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions of a reasonable starting point that I should be looking? 

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who encounters a boot0af error while trying to boot from hard drive rather than usb:

1) Download boot0af from https://github.com/Clover-EFI-Bootloader/clover/blob/master/BootSector/bin/boot1h

2) Put on alternate macos or on usb drive
3) Boot into alternate macos or usb drive
Follow the instructions from 2nd post here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288671-solved-boot0-error-after-install/

type diskutil list for identified your disk and partition where you installed of system ML = "(i.e: disk0s2)"
type diskutil unmount disk0s2
type cd /
type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=4096
reboot

• 2 weeks later...

hello, im very!! new in hackintosh. i followed your instructions on my hpz800 (but i used the high sierra installer!) workt fine till the installation was finished. after the last reboot befor the system should be ready i boot to the clover-usb-stick but unlike the previous time there is only "external" to boot from but not the HardDisk (SSD in my case) to boot to the macOS.

i will try a new complete installation-process later but may be its only a small error to fix easy?

everything else till the last boot (befor i can boot to osx and install clover to the SSD to get rid of the usb boot) works fine!

thank you for little help.

Thank you very much for this wonderful guide!

I have successfully installed 10.12.6 on a Z400, 6 core x5670 with Nvidia graphics and on a Z600 with Dual x5675 for a total of 12 cores / 24 threads with Nvidia graphics and they both perform very well. Many, many thanks!!!!

Any pointers on upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra on these HP workstations? I think it would be nice to keep this thread going forward.  :)

Introduction

Thanks all for the amazing guide and contributions.

I did my first z800 build yesterday and the instructions were fantastic.

My specs are standard as in the original post with the following changes/additions:

• Sierra (10.12.6)
  • Nvidia GT 1030
  • SSD (Crucial 275 GB)
  • TP Link Archer T6E Wifi Card
  • 4K Monitor (Samsung U28Exxxx)

I have followed the exact instructions several times now.

Everything is working great with the exception of the following:

• 4K monitor only outputs at 30 Hz (not 60).
  • T6E WiFi card does not work.
  • No sound (onboard sound).

4K 60Hz with Nvidia Web Drivers

I won't expand on the 4K 60 Hz problem here as it is a common problem not specific to the z800, but if anyone has experience getting this working with the Sierra Nvidia Web Drivers it would be great. I tried the mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2 but no luck. Stupidly I got a card that only has HDMI (Get a card with a display port if you have the choice!!!) which was not clever.

Onboard Sound

I get no sound devices. Is this normal?

I see no mention of sound in the original post or the thread so I assume it works fine for everyone else?

Or do most people use sound via a graphics card? If I can get sound via the Nvdia HDMI then this could be resolved.

T6E WiFi card

I spent around 8 hours trying to get this work trying all the following (and in all combinations):

The worse thing is the WiFi card works in the OS setup screen. I've moved to running a cable for now and will probably return the card if I can't get it working. Any recommendations?

Summary

Thanks again to everyone for the great contributions. Sorry if some of this stuff is not z800 specific but I think I have tried most of the usual solutions and am using relatively standard hardware that may be relevant to other z800 builders.

Any advice is of obviously much appreciated :wink_anim:

• Like 1

Realtek 262 onboard sound  :wink_anim: thanks to  MacPeet

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307064-hp-z400z600z800-workstations-os-x-1010x1011x-installation/?p=2558185

TP Link Archer T6E Wifi Card  :wink_anim: 

clover config.plist

add this under KernelAndKextPatches -> KextsToPatch -> Array

<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>TPLINK T6E PATCH</string>
    <key>Disabled</key>
    <false/>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
        gflSqgAAdSk=
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
        gflSqgAAZpA=
    </data>
</dict>

4K monitor solution at 60 Hz  :wink_anim: 

https://www.amazon.com/CAC-1170-DisplayPort-Supports-3840x2160-certified/dp/B017BQCUGW

Introduction

Thanks all for the amazing guide and contributions.

I did my first z800 build yesterday and the instructions were fantastic.

My specs are standard as in the original post with the following changes/additions:

• Sierra (10.12.6)
  • Nvidia GT 1030
  • SSD (Crucial 275 GB)
  • TP Link Archer T6E Wifi Card
  • 4K Monitor (Samsung U28Exxxx)

I have followed the exact instructions several times now.

Everything is working great with the exception of the following:

• 4K monitor only outputs at 30 Hz (not 60).
  • T6E WiFi card does not work.
  • No sound (onboard sound).

4K 60Hz with Nvidia Web Drivers

I won't expand on the 4K 60 Hz problem here as it is a common problem not specific to the z800, but if anyone has experience getting this working with the Sierra Nvidia Web Drivers it would be great. I tried the mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2 but no luck. Stupidly I got a card that only has HDMI (Get a card with a display port if you have the choice!!!) which was not clever.

Onboard Sound

I get no sound devices. Is this normal?

I see no mention of sound in the original post or the thread so I assume it works fine for everyone else?

Or do most people use sound via a graphics card? If I can get sound via the Nvdia HDMI then this could be resolved.

T6E WiFi card

I spent around 8 hours trying to get this work trying all the following (and in all combinations):

The worse thing is the WiFi card works in the OS setup screen. I've moved to running a cable for now and will probably return the card if I can't get it working. Any recommendations?

Summary

Thanks again to everyone for the great contributions. Sorry if some of this stuff is not z800 specific but I think I have tried most of the usual solutions and am using relatively standard hardware that may be relevant to other z800 builders.

Any advice is of obviously much appreciated :wink_anim:

Which guide did you follow? What works and what doesn't? How is it working?

• 5 weeks later...

I have a z800 with 24gb of ram with dual x5650 (6 core 2.67mhz), GPU nvidia Quadro 5000 and four drives connected to LSI sas/sata ports instead of the Intel sata ports. It was running 10.9 a while ago (on a dedicated HD), but I have since moved on to making it a windows 10 only box. I wanted to play around with Mac OS x only apps and I need to install 10.12 and google has lead me to this site. i haven't been playing around with building hack since I own some a real macs and windows did what I needed, but the last two hacks did are based on an Intel based badaxe2 with core 2 quad and a Intel NUC with i3 both running 10.9 (old school chameleon installs). I haven't messed around with clover so this is all new to me. 

I did my best follow the multiple guides from these gracious users "SBC Studios" to "corei3cpu" and nothing seems to work. I can get clover to load, but once I try to get the installer to launch I get this
       ACPI Error: [_DSM] Namespace Lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20140828/dswload-1c5)

I am also trying to use 10.12.6  as my installer if that makes a difference...

Does anyone have idea what am I doing wrong? I be using all sort of combinations of kext, my head is spinning.

Thanks for your help in advance!

I have a guide on Reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/6z2mc2/setting_up_the_hp_z800_workstation_a_work_in/

Try it and see how it works for you. There are some parts it doesn't cover in depth, such as the config.plist specific settings.

However, if you follow the imessage guides, that will help some of that.

Look at the steps I have listed and see how that deviates from what you did.

Hi Raceblur

bios settings.

You are not giving much info about your build in terms of firmware such as your BIOS version etc.

From the sound of it (it can not load the installer) it is most likely due to your BIOS settings.

Have you been through all of that?

Any z800 with a Nvidia GPU can boot up in the installer just a matter of BIOS settings and Bootflags. 

Most worth to mentions is nv_disable=1

I hope it help to tweak some BIOS settings such as serial ports = disable etc.

If arkiebo's post on reddit does the magic for you then well done.

Happy hacking :D

• Like 1

Hi SBC-Studios and arkieboy72472,

Thanks for your quick response. I am missing something or something not set correctly. I can't imagine getting this up and running would be this difficult, but I'm getting stuck again during the installation again. 

I started all over again and basically tried my best to follow the instruction to a "t", but I'm getting stuck on this:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801c6d6db4): "Unable to find driver for this platform:\ACPO\".\n"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3789.70.16/iokit/Kernal/IOPlatformExpert.cpp;1672

Debugger called:<panic>

I'm not sure if this helps, I've been looking up this error and I'm not sure what's causing this.

Oh forgot, yes my bios/rom is the latest version and I've set all my bios setting are as follows:

Storage > Storage Options

-               Removal Media Boot = Enable

-               Legacy Diskette Write = Enable

-               SATA Emulation = RAID+AHCI

Security > System Security

-               Data Execution Prevention = Enable

-               Virtualization (VTx) = Enable

-               Virtualization (VT-d2) = Enable

-               AES Instruction = Enable

Security > Device Security (Everything to “Device Available” except these)

-               Serial port = Hidden

-               Legacy Diskette = Hidden

-               Embedded Security = Hidden

Power > OS Power Management

-               Runtime Power Man = Enable

-               MWAIT-Aware OS = Enable

-               Idle Power savings = Extended

-               ACPI S3 Hard Disk = Enable

-               ACPI S3 PS2 Mouse = Enable

-               USB Wake = Enable

-               Unique Sleep State = Enable

Power > Hardware Power Management

-               SATA Power Manage = Enable

-               Intel Turbo Boost = Enable

-               Enhanced Intel Turbo Boost = Enable

-               EUP Compliance = Enable

Advanced > Processor

-               Hyper-Threading = Enable

-               Active Cores = All Cores

-               Limited CPUID = Disable

Advanced > Chipset/Memory

-               PCI SERR# Generation = Disable

-               PCI VGA Palette Snooping = Disable

-               Enhanced Memory Performance = Enable

Advanced > Device Options

-               Num Lock = On

-               S5 Wake on LAN = Enable

-               Multi-Processor = Enable

-               Internal Speaker = Enable

-               Monitor Tracking = Disable

-               NIC PXE = Disable

-               SATA RAID Option ROM = Enable

If you have any ideas, please let me know. 

Thanks again!

Do you have all of the kexts listed and are they all in the right place? ("10.12" OR "other" folder in EFI/clover/kexts)

Also, before you boot, what SMBIOS version does clover try to use when booting? one of the symbols below on the clover screen allows you to look at the settings and look for SMBIOS. It should say "Mac Pro 5,1" or "MacPro 5,1"

If it uses something different, that might cause an issue.

Do you have all of the kexts listed and are they all in the right place? ("10.12" OR "other" folder in EFI/clover/kexts)

Also, before you boot, what SMBIOS version does clover try to use when booting? one of the symbols below on the clover screen allows you to look at the settings and look for SMBIOS. It should say "Mac Pro 5,1" or "MacPro 5,1"

If it uses something different, that might cause an issue.

Ok everything is in the “other” folder as far as SMBIOS is concerned I’m not sure where would find this or set this in the Clover loader screen... sorry I’m really trying to figure this out...

I am not saying this is how to fix your issue. I had an issue once and this fixed it. Screenshots help your cause.

On the clover screen that you boot with, there should be a gear icon. click it. among all of the options, which you can click one at a time, will have one with SMBIOS. what does it say? you can alter what it says by clicking it or pressing enter once it is selected and deleting whatever it choose and changing it to what it should be. you need to read up on the clover wiki and the clover configurator wiki. it will help.

note that hitting space bar won't show you this option so you will need mouse access, i think, to do this. 

I am not saying this is how to fix your issue. I had an issue once and this fixed it. Screenshots help your cause.

On the clover screen that you boot with, there should be a gear icon. click it. among all of the options, which you can click one at a time, will have one with SMBIOS. what does it say? you can alter what it says by clicking it or pressing enter once it is selected and deleting whatever it choose and changing it to what it should be. you need to read up on the clover wiki and the clover configurator wiki. it will help.

note that hitting space bar won't show you this option so you will need mouse access, i think, to do this.

599c9294d7ef3384dc392840e644af9e.jpg

All I used was -v and the kext and bios setting you suggested and the Mac Pro 5,1 id...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

many thanks to SBC-Studios, did exact what you did and just loading Sierra to SAS-Drive.

My Hardware:

2xXeon E5540 with 2.53GHz  ; FX1800 Nvidia; 24GB Ram BCM5764M and Intel 82571EB Network ; 4x 300GB SAS Drives

Will give Info when i am finished.

No problem at all wellini - Happy to hear it worked for you :)

Racerblur.

Please just do this.

Create a new usb and only include the kext I have provided (put in clover/kexts/10.12) you with and boot up with nv_disable=1 and -v 

Please also check your BIOS settings!!

Serial port needs to be off and the HDD setting to AHCI/RAID

And let us know how it works for you.

Hello,

Sierra loaded to SAS HD, but when i reboot from Stick, the HD is not recocnized.

The build in SAS is LSI SAS3000, i think i have to put the kext in /EFI/Clover/kext  but witch one?

Thanks alot

Edit:

load again to a SATA Drive, this is recognized and after load and reboot from Stick now loading.

Loading to SATA ok, reboot with Stick select SATA, System booting,, but when i install Clover to the HD and copied the EFI from Stick to HD, do a reboot, the HD is gone, only the recovery part is there.

What is wrong? I install the same Clover as to the Stick and select the same Options.