InsanelyMac Forum
DAXGr

[SOLVED] Boot0 error after install

Hi, I just got a new 2TB WD Caviar Blue drive to mainly keep my files and have Mac OS X on it too. I have it partitioned in MBR with 1 partition of 200GB HFS+ and the remainder a 1.62.. NTFS. I can boot the installer USB just fine and install ML on the 200GB partition but when I install chimera(or chameleon or clover) to it and try to reboot using the new bootloader it hangs at boot0: error and for clover boot0af: error (OR if I install boot0ss, boot0ss: error). The drive's sector size is 512bytes, checked via diskutil and windows fsutil(no 4K advanced format). The drive is connected at Marvell 88SE9172 and previously(with same results) at X79 Sata3 both 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It really was a 4K drive, note to anyone with this drive: All WD20EAR* drives use 4K advanced format but the firmware emulates 512B sectoring, software will report they are 512B physical sectors, they are NOT!

Advertisement

it is very old problem, try it

ok, this is the second option for install it, download binarios chameleon folder i386

1. open the folder i386 and copy boot1h for your USBInstaller.

2. boot from USBinstaller and go for utilities and open app Terminal

3. type diskutil list for identified your disk and partition where you installed of system ML = "(i.e: disk0s2)"

4. type diskutil unmount disk0s2

5. type cd /

6. type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=4096

7. reboot

in steep 6 put your disk and partition "(i.e disk0s2 "), see your

it is very old problem, try it

ok, this is the second option for install it, download binarios chameleon folder i386

1. open the folder i386 and copy boot1h for your USBInstaller.

2. boot from USBinstaller and go for utilities and open app Terminal

3. type diskutil list for identified your disk and partition where you installed of system ML = "(i.e: disk0s2)"

4. type diskutil unmount disk0s2

5. type cd /

6. type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=4096

7. reboot

in steep 6 put your disk and partition "(i.e disk0s2 "), see your

But Do those drives have 4k sectors? If so you will need to manually install boot1h to the OS partition by using the dd from coreutils, place it on your USB installer, and boot to the USB installer. Open the terminal and run the following command after unmounting the Volume that contains the OS:

CODE: SELECT ALL /path to dd/dd if=/path to boot1h/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX bs=4096

Where rdiskXsX is the disk number and partition number that you have OS X installed on - on my notebook this would be rdisk0s2.

Please note that this will only provide a solution if your drive has 4k sectors - u can determine this using diskutil from the terminal, ensure you do not run the commands on non-4k sector drives as it will likely break your partition table.

Point is Windows reports 512bytes Physical Sector size and diskutil shows too 512bytes device block size

EDIT: Nevermind, the drive actually emulates 512B sectoring to play nice with older OSes, it's really a 4K drive; thank you for your time and help.

Thanks for the information.

I have a problem.

I performed the steps and did not get the boot0af mistake. Now I get boot1 mistake.

How I can fix it?

Follow the instructions in the 2nd post. What disk do you have?

I did it, but error continues. Ssd disk

I did it, but error continues. Ssd disk

i get b1f error too on my ssd.

I want to use a 50 megs FAT32 partition, so i am using boot1f32 for that pbr.

Tried several versions. boot0 works, but no any boot1f32 files.

stuck at b1f error.

its only a 120 gb ssd disk, but i think it uses 4k sectors. 

the same bootfiles work on a fat32 formatted usb pendrive.

Update: Solved it.

I don't know why but i had to format the FAT32 partition with GParted, and after that the bootfiles worked and Chameleon loads fine.

I also used a Windows app called Bootice instead of messing with Mac Terminal commands and fdisk440.

I will post screenshots how to edit, and the two working bootfiles..

Thanks, i wait for your guide

So, Format the FAT32 partition in GParted.

The only problem with that is you need a bootcd or usb drive with that since gparted has no windows version.

Hiren's bootcd has got a small Linux recovery enviroment (a live linux) which contatins GParted.

Thats what i used.

Actually my boot partition has become FAT16. But it doesn't matter. It's just because it is so small in size, and so not needed to be FAT32 or FAT32 LBA.

Use Bootice.

Here are the steps.

This program is pretty easy to use.

Just leave the options "Keep signature and partition table untouched" and "Keep BPB untouched" checked as they are originally.

Select the correct drive, Choose Process MBR

post-38872-0-04689400-1388509007_thumb.png

Choose Restore MBR

post-38872-0-96491700-1388509015_thumb.png

Select boot0hfs file and Restore

post-38872-0-62283100-1388509021_thumb.png

Back again at the main screen, Choose Process BPR

Select the boot partition and Restore PBR

post-38872-0-99703500-1388509026_thumb.png

Select boot1f32 file and Restore

post-38872-0-51471900-1388509033_thumb.png

Set Parts Manage - Activate partition if not already set..

post-38872-0-25608900-1388509039_thumb.png

You can make backups of the MBR and all of the PBRs of the partitions before you do any changes.

So if something bad happens, you can restore them easily.

I first thought the ID was wrong for the boot partition (0B) instead of the one which is set on the large FAT32 partition (0C).

I tried another windows formatting tool and formatted the small partition with that (and that made it 0C).

But it still did not work. I got the boot0:done boot1:error message.

After i formatted the boot partition with GParted the bootfiles(installed again after format) worked.

I think there might have been some wrong parameters in the Bios Parameter Block (BPB) which confused the boot1f32 loader and made it hang.

Thanks a lot, it works for me ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.13 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.13.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.13 Firmware check by crazybirdy.

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
      1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.13 installation on MBR partition.
      2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "An error occurred while verifying firmware".
      3. This patched MBR OSInstaller method works with both MBR and GPT partition (GPT+recovery).
      No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

If you want to install to GPT, but still get the error of "An error occurred while verifying firmware".
      All you need to do is, boot the Disk1mbrInstaller, and it will automatically load to install the "GPT-partition/macOS Install Data" which you installed with "Install macOS High Sierra.app" of createinstallmedia installer method at first stage.

How to make 10.13 installer for MBR?
      Read HowTo-10.13.x.txt inside the zip file first, different with 10.12.
      Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to install in different computer with only one USB partition?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q8. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR without downloading the full installer app again?
      Read HowTo Q/A Q9. How to update 10.13.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

And, need a /Extra/SMBIOS.plist supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.
      Set a SMBIOS with Chameleon Wizard.

Work fine with Clover r4084+.

Work fine with Enoch r2885+.
      and /Extra/kernel.plist with
      <key>KernelBooter_kexts</key>
      <string>Yes</string>

10.13.4.17E199
      10.13.3.17D47
      10.13.2.17C88
      10.13.1.17B48
      10.13.0.17A405
        If you want to patch MBR by yourself, just read the HowToPatch-10.13.txt inside the zip file.
    • By zeg66
      Please help me with this 10.9.5 system. Motherboard: Gigabyte 965p-s3 rev3.3, gpu: Ati Radeon HD6450 (dvi/hdmi/vga). 
      Using any of the 3 ports on the 6450 (dvi, hdmi, vga), I see all the white letters on black background during boot but when they complete and it's time for the graphics to start I get a black screen and sometimes a restart after that. Using Clover 4411. Is there any way to get past this?
    • By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.12 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.12.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x patch method

How to make 10.12 installer for MBR?

Open Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg first.
      1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS partition and rename the partition’s name as macOSMBR as /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      2. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg to /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      3. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.chunklist to /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      4. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.dmg to /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      5. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.chunklist to /Volumes/macOSMBR/
      6. Remove /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Installation/Packages
      7. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages to /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Installation/Packages

8.OSInstaller replace to
      /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A/OSInstaller

9. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      to /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      (use Pacifist v3.2.14 to access the contents of Essentials.pkg, and make directory /System/Library/Kernels first.)
      (Need kernel only if you use Chameleon with -f to boot the installer disk, needn't with Clover.)

10. Boot to /Volumes/macOSMBR/ to install macOS.

And, need a /Extra/SMBIOS.plist supported with /Volumes/macOSMBR/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.
      Set a SMBIOS with Chameleon Wizard.

Work fine with Enoch r2839+
      <string>Yes</string>
      https://postimg.org/image/bnmdi8cdl/

10.12.6.16G29
      10.12.5.16F73
      10.12.4.16E195
      10.12.3.16D32
      10.12.2.16C68
      10.12.1.16B2657
      10.12.0.16A323

If you want to patch MBR by yourself, here is the patch code, works on 10.12.0~10.12.6

perl -pi -e "s|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x0F\x84\x91\x00\x00\x00\x48|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x90\xE9\x91\x00\x00\x00\x48|g" OSInstaller
      codesign -f -s - OSInstaller

• By crazybirdy
      Patched OSInstall.mpkg and OSInstaller.framework to allow OS X 10.11 installation on MBR partition.

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo-10.11.x to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x patch method

How to make 10.11 installer for MBR?

Open /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg first.
      1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg to HFS partition and rename the partition’s name as OSXMBR as /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      2. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      3. Copy InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.chunklist to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      4. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.dmg to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      5. Copy InstallESD.dmg/AppleDiagnostics.chunklist to /Volumes/OSXMBR/
      6. Remove /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages
      7. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages to /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages

OSInstall.mpkg replace to
      /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

OSInstaller replace to
      /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OSInstaller.framework/Versions/A/OSInstaller

9. Copy InstallESD.dmg/Packages/Essentials.pkg/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      to /Volumes/OSXMBR/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
      (use Pacifist v3.2.14 to access the contents of Essentials.pkg, and make directory /System/Library/Kernels first.)
      (Need kernel only if you use Chameleon with -f to boot the installer disk, needn't with Clover.)

10. Boot to /Volumes/OSXMBR/ to install Mac OS X.

Work fine with Clover

Work fine with Enoch
      <string>Yes</string>

10.11.6.15G1011
      10.11.6.15G31
      10.11.5.15F34
      10.11.4.15E65
      10.11.3.15D21
      10.11.2.15C50
      10.11.1.15B42
      10.11.0.15A284

If you want to patch MBR by yourself, here is the patch code, works on 10.11.0 ~ 10.11.6

perl -pi -e 's|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\x74\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|\x48\x8B\x78\x28\x48\x85\xFF\xEB\x5F\x48\x8B\x85|g' OSInstaller
      codesign -f -s - OSInstaller
    • By ErmaC
      Enoch
      Latest revision of my Chameleon bootloader branch.

Not able to boot AFPS yet....

Please don't upload it on other servers and don't repack it, thank you.
      - Installer PKG
      - Binaries format (Manual install)
      Please don't upload it on other servers and don't repack it, thank you.

Chameleon bootloader credits goes to Chameleon Team http://forum.voodooprojects.org

Changelog: http://forge.voodoop...e/changes/HEAD/

This revision of Enoch contain the upcoming FileNVRAM revision 1.1.5 (RC8)
      Credits to Micky1979

Language Translation:

For on-line Chameleon language package resource edit
      >> Pootle

Pls translate/complete it.

Link here on InsanelyMac (Italian only): Enoch Bootloader

Enjoy

ErmaC