El Capitan 10.11.6 Install - 5960X with Asus X99-E WS

motionworks

35 posts in this topic

Hello Community,  B)

I would like to share my El Capitan install guide for the owners of Asus X99-E WS with 5960X Cpu. There are a few guides around with 5960X install,
unfortunately with this specific motherboard i couldn’t achieve any success. I always got reboot or freeze after PCI Configuration begin or other problems.
Finally i succesfully installed El Capitan 10.11.6. So far everything looks great, no problem at all. Steep stepping is working too with the help of custom SSDT.

I didn’t invent anything, just educated guesses and resources from community!
Before begin, thank you for all talented people around like;
Pike R. Alpha, Brumbaer, SammlerG, stinga11, chris1111, the Clover team and many more…

My System Specs Are
  • Asus X99-E WS
  • Intel i7-5960X
  • 64GB DDR4 Ram
  • Nvidia Geforce TitanX
  • 3 x SSD
  • 6 x Hard Drive (4 of them in RAID 10)
  • Noctua CPU and Case fans.

The following features are operational:
  • CPU energy management operation from 1.2Ghz to 3.8 GHz (Sleep not working. Black screen)
  • 1 x Ethernet adapter with Gigabit Support (AppleIntelI210Ethernet)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X working correctly. (Tested with only DVI)
  • USB3.0 and 2.0 ports available
  • ALC 1150 Working
  • Apple apps like FaceTime and iMessage working nicely.

Requirements:
  • 10.11.6 El Capitan app from Appstore
  • Access to a Mac / Hackintosh with any version
  • At least 8gb USB drive
  • Latest Clover Bootloader (Mine was Clover_v2.3k_r3799)
  • Clover Configurator (Mine was 4.33.0)
  • AGDPfix.v1.3 (For MacPro 6,1 config. No need for Mac Pro 5,1 or older)
  • Nvidia WebDriver-346.03.15f03.pkg (After install completed needs system security update to install)
  • Cudadriver-8.0.46-macos.dmg

CAUTION: Please don’t use my SSDT if your cpu is not overclocked to 3.8 Ghz. Please read SSDT part to regenerate yours.

Step by Step

USB Guide:
Download all needed software to the computer you will use to prepare the USB stick. (Kexts and clover configs included with the topic)
The USB stick will be erased.

1 - Start Disk Uitility
  • Select the USB itself.
2 - Select Erase
  • 1 Name: ElCapitan
  • 2 Format: OS X Extended Journaled
  • 3 Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • 4 Press Erase
  • 4 Quit Disk Utility

3- Open Terminal

a. Enter the following and press the <Return> key.

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/ElCapitan --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app —no-interaction
  • Enter <Return>
  • Enter Password
  • Enter Y
  • Enter <Return>
  • Wait….

4 - Start Clover Bootloader Installer

a. Change install location to USB (ElCapitan)
b. Customize
  • Select Install for UEFI Booting Only
  • In Drivers64UEFI only choose (DataHubDxe-64 and OsxAptioFixDrv-64)
  • After finished use Clover Configurator to mount EFI drive or manually mount. (It is better to change USB EFI name to another like USBEFI or INSTEFI not mandatory)
  • I include my INSTALL_CLOVER  folder (please compare or just use this folder) (All necessary kexts are in CLOVER - Kexts - Other)
  • Included Kexts are (FakeSMC.kext - USBInjectAll.kext - VoodooTSCSync.kext - XHCI-x99-injector.kext)
  • PLEASE don’t forget this guide is only for 5960x and X99-E WS. So VoodooTSCSync.kext is changed to 15

Install USB Clover Config Tips:
In this part I will explain my clover config. (This folder is already included. Maybe helpful for other x99 owners)

1 - ACPI

a. DSDT Patches

• I have used these DSDT patches with XHCI-x99-injector.kext for USB3 support. (It is important to disable Asmedia USB3.0 Controller in BIOS only Intel is supported)
  • EHC1 to EH01 find 45484331 replace 45483031
  • EHC2 to EH02 find 45484332 replace 45483032
  • XHCI to XH01 find 58484349 replace 58483031

b. SSDT
  • Generate C and P states selected
  • Halt Enabler selected

2 - Boot

a. Flags
  • -v -f npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1

3 - Kernel and Kext Patches
  • AppleRTC and KernelHaswellE selected

a. KextsToPatch
  • IOPCIFamily 5960X Patch By Brumbaer
  • AppleAHCIPort - External icons patch
  • AppleUSBXHCIPCI - Patch 15 Port limit

b. KernelToPatch
  • OS 10.11.6 EIST Patch - fix MSR 0x01A0 by Pike R. Alpha

4 - RT Variables
  • BooterConfig=0x28
  • CsrActiveConfig=0x67

5 - SMBIOS
  • Macpro5,1 generated

6 - System Parameters
  • Inject Kexts - Detect
  • Inject System ID selected

BIOS Guide:
I have included my BIOS screenshots. My processor overclocked to 3.8 Ghz.
In my opinion the most important thing is disabling Asmedia USB3.0 Controller in BIOS. Otherwise you will fail with PCI Root Configuration.
Caution: By the way my bios Fan settings are custom made, don't use with yours.

INSTALLING
- Proceed with USB stick, boot into OS X installer, select your destination drive, format with Disk Utility if necessary, and reboot.
- After boot don’t remove USB stick boot with it but this time select freshly installed OS X drive.
- After successful login, install Clover bootloader with the same settings usb install PLUS select Install RC Scripts on Target Volume
- Before restart use my OSX_CLOVER folder to replace you OSX EFI. (I used non default theme so it is better to change it to default or download mine.)

FIXES

- Sound
ALC1150 Fix is already done with my OSX_CLOVER. I injected “1” id and used FixHDA.

- Graphics
Use Nvidia drivers then replace nv_disable=1 with nvda_drv=1.
If you will use Macpro 6,1 please use AGDPfix.v1.3

- SSDT
Please don’t use my SSDT in clover folder if your CPU is not overclocked to 3,8 Ghz. Use appropriate SSDT with your own settings.
You can create your own SSDT before installing OS and replace with USB - CLOVER - ACPI - Patched. (Both for INSTALL and OS X EFI)
Use piker alpha’s ssdt generation script from https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh
If your cpu is not overclocked, use this one for stock “ ./ssdtPRGen.sh -p ‘i7-5960X' -f 3000 -turbo 3500 ”

Please enjoy your Hackintosh
Yucel

post-419502-0-65170700-1476802122_thumb.png

BIOS.zip

INSTALL_CLOVER.zip

OSX_CLOVER.zip

• Like 5

Wondering if anyone has got the Yosemite or El Capitan build to work with 4g Decoding 'Enabled"?

Any time I have this setting turned on my system Power Cycles soon as it gets past the clover boot screen.

My only problem with leaving this disabled is that for cards like the Titan-X with 12g of memory, your only utilizing 4gb (1/3) of the actual memory. Unless I have this bios setting all wrong. But wondering if anyone struggles with this system limitation?

Kudos to motionworks for an amazing guide, and cracking the seal on a very tough build.

Wondering if anyone has got the Yosemite or El Capitan build to work with 4g Decoding 'Enabled"?

Any time I have this setting turned on my system Power Cycles soon as it gets past the clover boot screen.

My only problem with leaving this disabled is that for cards like the Titan-X with 12g of memory, your only utilizing 4gb (1/3) of the actual memory. Unless I have this bios setting all wrong. But wondering if anyone struggles with this system limitation?

Kudos to motionworks for an amazing guide, and cracking the seal on a very tough build.

In my bios "Above 4g decoding" is disabled as default. If i enable, i get instant reboot after clover.

Are you sure that we use only 4gb of 12gb? I use After Effects and it shows 12GB ram.

Here is my Cinebench results.

7StluGG.png

Upon some further investigation I found when I had 4g decoded enabled in Windows and disabled it didn't matter, same performance from my GPU's so ignore my earlier comment.

But after getting the build up and running with El Capitan I found that it's performance definitely outshine my Yosemite build, and having the power working also helps it not scream so loud all the time.

Yosemite Build (Smak Pro):

Singe-Core Score - 3636

Multi-Core Score - 31355

Cinebench OpenGL - 74 fps

Cinebench CPU - 1591cb

El Capitan Build (Smakintosh Pro):

Singe-Core Score - 4406

Multi-Core Score - 35003

Cinebench OpenGL - 131 fps

Cinebench CPU - 1674cb

For some reason my USB 3.0 drives were mounting currently and I had no issues with un-mounting.

The only weird thing was that after I installed El Capitan to the SSD and rebooted in clover that UEFI wouldn't show any drives, but the Install UEFI would, so I booted into OSX via that drive, and then copied the EFI contents from the installer over to my OS drive. After that boot the drives appeared, and now the installation seems to be working. I've made a CCC backup already in case. 

Thanks again motionworks!

post-1852620-0-37788800-1476934471_thumb.png

post-1852620-0-04553600-1476935114_thumb.png

Happy to hear that your system is working stable :)

My USB ports are working too. Only problem is mounted 3,5 inch hard drives showing as internal drive, normally they should be external orange drives. But I can unmount of course.

I have learned this problem occurs if we use 15 port limit fix. Pike R. Alpha replied my question in another thread. 15 port fix is a temp and dirty solution. I will try to fix 15 port limitation with SSDT fix. I will reply if I can fix.

Your problem about not showing any drive in clover should be related with boot configuration. In Clover Configurator select boot section then Scan, you will see Custom and Auto=Yes, for my OSX_CLOVER zip i choosed custom with only tool selected, this is for displaying only bootable drives. Maybe you can choose Auto=Yes to display all drives.

I have succesfully removed "AppleUSBXHCIPCI - Patch 15 Port limit" with custom SSDT-USB.aml. 

Internal external drive problem is only exist with an external usb3 hub! So most of people will ignore this problem...

I will update my guide when i done!

Happy to hear that your system is working stable :)

My USB ports are working too. Only problem is mounted 3,5 inch hard drives showing as internal drive, normally they should be external orange drives. But I can unmount of course.

I have learned this problem occurs if we use 15 port limit fix. Pike R. Alpha replied my question in another thread. 15 port fix is a temp and dirty solution. I will try to fix 15 port limitation with SSDT fix. I will reply if I can fix.

Your problem about not showing any drive in clover should be related with boot configuration. In Clover Configurator select boot section then Scan, you will see Custom and Auto=Yes, for my OSX_CLOVER zip i choosed custom with only tool selected, this is for displaying only bootable drives. Maybe you can choose Auto=Yes to display all drives.

Finally done Allan, but i have added extra usb ports to my case, so it is not a stock Asus X99-E WS SSDT-USB.

It was hard to understand, but i decided to go windows and used a program "usbtreeview", which shows all about usb ports.

I tested all my ports with both a usb2.0 and 3.0 flash drive. (plugged and unplugged to every port) I will share these files from windows too.

All acpi info is matching with windows10. With the help of Connection Flags like 0x00 or 0x03 (255 and 3), i added easily to my ssdt.

Right now it is working nicely. Of course i removed my 15 port limit from KextstoPatch in clover. My total ports were 16 and excluded 1 of them

with boot flag uia_exclude=SSP1.

By the way in my guide there was a DSDT patch which is 
XHCI to XH01 find 58484349 replace 58483031

i replaced it with

XHCI to XHC_ find 58484349 replace 5848435F

Here is final look from IORegistryExplorer

pZx24ud.png

Can you post this SSDT for analysis? Please? 

Thanks

SSDT.zip

ACPI_From_Windows10.zip

• Like 1

Ok

Exact same setup as you.

Did the bios exactly as you ( i even OC to 3.8 ghz)

i ve followed the guide and used your clover folder for the efi usb stick

but still got problem i ve post the part when the pc reboot itself.

Heres the video ( sorry for the camera work )http://youtu.be/GPlZQETjf9Q :

( it seems that the infamous iobluetoothfamily is causing problem ).

Any help is welcome and thanks for the guide !

Can you post your config.plist

Do you have Asus x99-E WS or Asus X99-E WS 3.1?

By the way i see slide=0 boot flag in your video. Normally i didn't use it...

Ok

Exact same setup as you.

Did the bios exactly as you ( i even OC to 3.8 ghz)

i ve followed the guide and used your clover folder for the efi usb stick

but still got problem i ve post the part when the pc reboot itself.

Heres the video ( sorry for the camera work )http://youtu.be/GPlZQETjf9Q :

( it seems that the infamous iobluetoothfamily is causing problem ).

Any help is welcome and thanks for the guide !

What is your graphic card?

Try to boot with adding -x to the current config on clover boot. If problem still exist you can try to add PCIRootUID=0 or 1.

Or try to disable IOBluetoothFamily.kext on clover;

While booting choose Clover -> Options -> System Parameters -> Block Kext —> Just write this "IOBluetoothFamily.kext"
I dont know if you have to add .kext extension try with both to be sure....

I hope it helps.

Heres my config.plist if it can help...

i use a titan-x 

I ve read that the IObluetoothFamily problem is not a bluetooth problem but graphic card initializing prob, and the iobluetooth is the last thing to display before the bug. Any way i ve tried all your fixes above, still no chance...

Is your Titant X in the first Slot ?

btw if i use -x i got PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN reboot alsmost immediatly.

I use 2,5 inch SSD drives.

Nice, thanks!  :)

I want build a hackintosh workstation, and I've read in some places that this kind of board only supports M.2 SSD devices.
But after researching more deep, I was wrong. I hope  :P 
  • Like 1

My titan-x plugged into PCIEX16-3. Top 3rd port.

i use a titan-x 

I ve read that the IObluetoothFamily problem is not a bluetooth problem but graphic card initializing prob, and the iobluetooth is the last thing to display before the bug. Any way i ve tried all your fixes above, still no chance...

Is your Titant X in the first Slot ?

btw if i use -x i got PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN reboot alsmost immediatly.

Hi fabiosun,

Thanks for reply, 

Yes i have generated with pikeralpha script without any error. If i remember correctly in my first try i got 1 error about my processor name or id then i tried with my processor name or id with success.

I think smak01 is succesfully installed Sierra with my config. Check this post please.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/316953-el-capitan-10116-install-5960x-with-asus-x99-e-ws/?do=findComment&comment=2308213

Please let me know about unuseful flags in my ACPI so i will try to correct.

I would like to repeat, i am not an expert, just a workstation user with some know-how.

Any help will be appreciated! So i and other people with same rig will be able to use same config for future OS's

Hi motionworks,

are you generating a SSDT with pikeralpha script?

I see in your config.plist many unuseful flag tagged in acpi and maybe you can do some improvement also in "cosmetic" cpu clover part i.e. add qpi =100 (if are you using a bclk value of 100 and type 0x2561 (check this value for your 5960x cpu) 

these two tweak help you when ssdt piker alpha script generates its code (no more warning)

Also, from 379x clover version it seems not necessary to add memory lines if you have well configured in your bios.

Then I have. curiosity .. :-)

Have you tried to install Sierra on your tin?

thank you

Thank you for letting me know fabiosun!

Actually my rig is working flawlessly so far! My geekbench scores are similiar with Yosemite but OS is really snappier than Yosemite.

I have just realized that sleep is working too! Wakes from sleep without problem.

I will try to refine my Clover config list as you recommend, in my spare time. Of course i dont want to break my working OS.

All the best

Hi no criticism in my writing :-)

I was curious if you test your rig with Sierra because I have no seen many people with Titan X here and I would like to improve my rig and see if I have same results of other titan x user

Instead, with config.plist posted In OP you should have two warning when generating ssdt with pike's script (he didd also a release with some line to explain how to solve cpu type warning and qpi frequency behavior in clover)

only cosmeticc I think but useful to post

also cpu type can help to have a similar CPU to the one you own if you see in "About my Mac" menu

for ACPI flags, you can start to disable all if you have a valid usb pen to boot if it does not work

In my case I don't use one of this flag

In an old guide (augustopaulo 5960x guide) I see also those flags flagged..maybe it is possible to clean tour config...but hey..if all it is working as you like...who cares? :-))

I didn't really do any Sleep tests with El Capitan while I had it. But I found the best results with Sierra 10.12.0 was with darkwake=0, when on darkwake in Clover Configurator there was mixed results on waking when pressing the keyboard. I wasn't able to wake from VNC applications remotely, so I can't really have sleep on. When I have a bit more time I will continue to work with it, but also found that software would crash when I would wake up from the darkwake=0 setting. 

Fabiosun I can post my settings later for how I got it working with Sierra, heavily reliant on motionworks guide, but swapped out some kext replacement for Pike's Sierra replacement. Everything seems to be working very well, with the exception that Geekbench 4 restarts my GPU when trying an OpenCL benchmark, but CUDA works just fine, and my scores definitely are still much better than on Yosemite and El Capitan. The OpenCl crash is odd though as I can use Luxmark and Cinebench and they seem to work just fine. 

Motionworks, do you prefer me starting a new thread with the different config and EFI files for Sierra, or should I post it here as it's derived off your guide?