• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

RTheDuke

RTheDuke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I was able to install it on my Hack with Pacifist. I can create a new VM, but when I try to start it up, i just get a white screen. See the pic. Could there be some sort of check that vmware has to see if you're using a real Mac?

Posted Image

I had the same white screen , once the VM is started. It looks like the VM with XP is running underneat. maybe something with the video driver is wrong. Or maybe there is some .vmx switch to activate to make it running on the Hackintoshes.

Any ideas ? Having it running will be GREAT .... or : should i really get the "real" thing ?

P.S: Parallels seems working, indeed..... cheers, RTheDuke

Trombone_Bob

Trombone_Bob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
I found that once I installed the kext from this topic http://forum.insanel...mp;#entry235299 that VMWare Fusion didn't give me any errors when using my Dell e1505. I am using the new 10.4.8 kernel. If any of you had errors with Fusion I would recommend that you get the kext.

wimbledonpaul

wimbledonpaul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was able to take the VmWare image of WinXP from my windows machine and run it up under vmware on the mac x86 without problems... which is handy :-)

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets

I had the same white screen , once the VM is started. It looks like the VM with XP is running underneat. maybe something with the video driver is wrong. Or maybe there is some .vmx switch to activate to make it running on the Hackintoshes.

Any ideas ? Having it running will be GREAT .... or : should i really get the "real" thing ?

P.S: Parallels seems working, indeed..... cheers, RTheDuke

I believe it have to do with video capabilities, I installed VMware Fusion on my 10.4.7 installation, then tried to install from a XP CD Image without success, then I installed a XP on VMware in windows copied the image to the Mac partition ran Fusion same blank screen, then I upgraded to 10.4.8, now with QE and CI it shows the screen and runs without probs, I even copied my windows "settings" to have the same.

BTW I'm setting this thread as the "official" VMware Fusion thread and make it sticky.

saivert

saivert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Posted Image
(click for larger)

Posted Image
(click for larger)

Host system is a Hackintosh with nForce 4 chipset and AMD Opteron 150 @ 2,4GHz processor running Mac OS X 10.4.8 (kernel 8.8.1)

VMWare version:
Posted Image

Oh, I almost forgot. The OLD classics we love.
Posted Image
(click for larger)

cyclonefr

cyclonefr

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
still, kernel panic during installation :(

Takuro

Takuro

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 1,162 posts

Could there be some sort of check that vmware has to see if you're using a real Mac?

I'm pretty sure everybody's problems are due to the fact that the program basically sucks at this point. If it was stable enough, all the people who signed up as beta testers would've gotten an email. This is just some ultra-buggy test that was never intended to leak to anybody.

I wonder if VMware Fusion's development will slow down due to the upcoming release of Vista. Companies like VMware usually prioritize Windows compatibility before Mac compatibility.

Just for kicks: has anybody managed to use Fusion to boot into a physical disc and run their existing installation of Windows from within OS X?

-jordn-

-jordn-

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
hey,

does VMware Fusiom work okay on AMD processors? i heard somewhere that it relies heavily on the VT-X CPU extension that currently only the Intel processors based on their new core have.

any Opteron 165 users especially?

jordn

PS- sorry if im hijacking the thread.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
Sure, I have an Opteron 165, see my previous post.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts
I have tried - several times - to install the copy I got from the demon. each time it caused a kernel panic and I had to power off. So, I decided to experiment a bit.

I mounted the disk image and drug the install package to the desktop so I could edit the contents. Then in a terminal window:

vi /Users/lrh/Desktop/VMware\ Fusion\ 1.0.pkg/Contents/Resources/postflight

This reveals the following:

#!/bin/bash

###
# Postflight script for VMware Fusion
# Copyright 2006 VMware, Inc.  All rights reserved.
###

set -e

export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

LIBDIR="/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion"

# XXX: This writes files to LIBDIR.  Is that what we want?
#
# TODO: This takes about 15-30 seconds to run, and it runs every time
# the package is installed, upgraded, or reinstalled.  We could avoid
# it on upgrade and reinstall by moving this to a postinstall script,
# but people might want it to run on reinstall.
cd "$LIBDIR"
./vmware-config-net.pl

# Execute the boot-time script to load the kernel modules and start daemons.
"$LIBDIR/boot.sh"

I commented out the execution of "boot.sh", saved the file and then ran the install package. It completed without error.

When I tried to run vmware I got the results several have posted - it would start and open a blank white screen and nothing else.

When I tried to reboot my system it went from the gray apple with pinwheel to a black screen and hung. I had to power off. Reboot with -v showed the problem - a kernel panic.

I then booted the system in single user mode and went to have a look at the boot.sh file. I commented out what I thought might be causing the problem and restarted the system which booted to a gui.

This is what I found:

vi /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/boot.sh

Editing the boot.sh file shows:

#!/bin/bash

###
# Startup script for VMware Fusion
# Copyright 2006 VMware, Inc.  All rights reserved.
###

set -e

export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

LIBDIR="/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion"
VMNAT_LOGFILE="/var/log/vmnat.log"
LEASEFILE="/var/db/vmware/dhcpd.leases"

if [ ! -x "$LIBDIR/vmnat" -o ! -x "$LIBDIR/vmnet-dhcpd" ]; then
	echo "Error: Programs $LIBDIR/vmnat or $LIBDIR/vmnet-dhcpd not found!"
	exit 1
fi

if [ ! -e "$LIBDIR/nat.conf" -o ! -e "$LIBDIR/dhcpd.conf" ]; then
	echo "Error: $LIBDIR/nat.conf and $LIBDIR/dhcpd.conf must both exist!"
	exit 1
fi

# TODO: We should check (and write)  PID files for these rather than using
# killall.
killall vmnat || true
killall vmnet-dhcpd || true

kextunload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmmon.kext" || true
kextunload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmioplug.kext" || true
kextunload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmnet.kext" || true

# kextload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmmon.kext"
# kextload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmioplug.kext"
# kextload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmnet.kext"

# TODO: We should use launchd to start up both vmnat and vmnet-dhcpd.
# "$LIBDIR/vmnat" -c "$LIBDIR/nat.conf" vmnet8 > "$VMNAT_LOGFILE" 2>&1 &

# vmnet-dhcpd puts itself in the background (daemon mode)
# "$LIBDIR/vmnet-dhcpd" -cf "$LIBDIR/dhcpd.conf" -lf "$LEASEFILE" \
#	 -pf /var/run/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet8.pid vmnet8

As you can see, I have commented out the portion starting with the kextload commands. On my system - specs below - attempting to load any of the vmware kexts causes a kernel panic - either in single user mode or when running the boot.sh command in a terminal window.

I believe the reason for the nonfunctional white screen that some of us have seen is the lack of the vmware kext packages being loaded. Sadly, I have hit the end of my skill set here and don't know how to resolve the problem.

I did check. The files & kext packages have the correct owner & file mode.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts
OK, here is some followup information.

The "VMware Fusion" kext packages in question are these:

rainbow:~ lrh$ ls -al /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/kexts
total 0
drwxr-xr-x	5 root  wheel  170 Oct 17 05:28 .
drwxr-xr-x   11 root  wheel  374 Nov 29 02:21 ..
drwxr-xr-x	3 root  wheel  102 Oct 17 05:28 vmioplug.kext
drwxr-xr-x	3 root  wheel  102 Oct 17 05:28 vmmon.kext
drwxr-xr-x	3 root  wheel  102 Oct 17 05:28 vmnet.kext

I tried to load each in turn using:

sudo kextload -vt  /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/kexts/vmioplug.kext

What I found was that kextload reported vmioplug.kext & vmnet.kext each loaded correctly while vmmon.kext caused a kernel panic. If I modified the kextload parameters to include -n in addition to -vt then all three would complete without a kernel panic.

I need to study some more - I don't yet have another test in mind. More later if I can figure out another test.

Edit update:
OK! next set of results. I tried a direct load of the vmnet & vmioplug kext packages and they loaded for real. so, I went back to the boot.sh command and activated everything except vmmon. The end of the script now shows:

# kextload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmmon.kext"
kextload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmioplug.kext"
kextload "$LIBDIR/kexts/vmnet.kext"

# TODO: We should use launchd to start up both vmnat and vmnet-dhcpd.
"$LIBDIR/vmnat" -c "$LIBDIR/nat.conf" vmnet8 > "$VMNAT_LOGFILE" 2>&1 &

# vmnet-dhcpd puts itself in the background (daemon mode)
"$LIBDIR/vmnet-dhcpd" -cf "$LIBDIR/dhcpd.conf" -lf "$LEASEFILE" \
	-pf /var/run/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet8.pid vmnet8

When I restarted the system it booted to the GUI correctly. However, vmware still just opens a blank white screen which is non-functional. Obviously, vmmom.kext is required.

If I now try to load vmmon for real I get instant kernel panic. Back to thinking :(

snackole

snackole

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Try using Semthex's latest kernel avaliable on the irc. It suports vmware and works fine for me.

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts

Try using Semthex's latest kernel avaliable on the irc. It suports vmware and works fine for me.

Mmm, yes, need to update my signature specs. I have been using the semthex beta8 kernel for the past few days. That doesn't fix the problem.

Edit-update:

I also tried with the Hyper Thread disabled - just in case - and it had no effect - still got kernel panic as soon as vmmon.kext was loaded.

snackole

snackole

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
It may have something to do with your nvidia graphics card. Try it with your onboard graphics. I'm using gma900 with full support and no issues running Fusion. I hope this helps.

cyclonefr

cyclonefr

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
Nah, I have a x1600 and it doesn't work... Same kernel panic.

I noticed you have a Prescott processor, and so do I.

So it seems the bug is indeed related to the Prescott, though I'm not sure.

Anyone else with a Prescott tried it ?

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts
On a side note - I had also tried Parallels. During the time I was using the integrated Intel graphics and the Diamond Stelth Radeon 9250, neither of which could I make provide CI/QE, Parallels woulld not start. The icon would appear on the dock and then vanish with no reason given for the failure.

As soon as I installed the nVIDIA GeForce FX5500 and activated CI/QE Parallels started running just fine. I am now installing some Linux & WinXX systems under Parallels. If that all works I plan to try a version of OS X. Getting a test OS X running in a virtual environment was what got me in this swamp in the first place.

Since I have two workable native OS X partitions on my drive (repair & production) I plan to continue with Parallels on one and Fusion on the other. Although, I think I will wait for a later release of Fusion since I have exhausted all my ideas on this one.

Edit-Update: I tried to install OS X under Parallels - it crashed Parallels every time I attempted to boot the instal DVD. I was using a JaS-10.4.7 install DVD. Guess I will need to keep working on Fusion :(

paul.campisi

paul.campisi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have not noticed any bugs yet, I installed xp last night, in less then 30 minutes so I'm going to give it a go with x64 vista some time today.
Screen shots to come soon.

jessem

jessem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
runs fine here, but honestly kind of pointless as it wont let you mount drives from your computer so its pretty much isolated.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
Not eveyone have drives or partitions with Windows installation.

I'm confrortable with disk Images now, and I'm sure VMware will have partition support.

opieum

opieum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
FYI 3D support is coming possibly as soon as the next beta for Fusion. Parallels has talked smack about VMware not having any 3D support when they have had it since workstation 5. This pissed off the devs at VMware since it is a flat out lie. Fusion is working on stability first then adding in 3D support. It is there but not enabled. The feature is experimental but better some 3D that works than none at all. So far Parallels has no demo even to show they have it working. I know that by Final release of Fusion 3D will already be enabled. But I think it will make it in well before that.

Just a heads up and keep your eyes peeled. There will be videos and such on the net. I was shown one by a Vmware employee and it will be posted by VMware soon. They are putting it out there as a teaser of sorts soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy