calling all ALC260 users

sebhag

102 posts in this topic

@kizwan - Hi again. Well some good news... After installing your latest driver & rebooting, the speaker icon appeared on the menu bar :thumbsup_anim: ... but when I tried to adjust the volume level using the slider the system crashed (see pic1 in the zip file). I rebooted and then tried to adjust the volume level from the Sound Preference in System Preferences, but again it crashed (see pic2). I also checked to see what was showing in the Output sections of the the Sound Preference, and it's showing "Line Out" just like the working 10.5.2 driver does ! :( It seems it just crashes everytime it has to play a sound.

I've included the System.log for this driver in the zip file in case this helps...

You're almost there... :D

Thanks a lot

Latest_Driver_11_04_08.zip

@egnm1969, that is good news. :) Other good news is that there is no "Sound assertion" error in the log file. But I can't figure out why it crash your system. I can try remove all of the codec verbs except codec verbs for line out. Maybe that can eliminate the kernel panic.

kizwan

@kizwan - Well I'm willing to try everything & I'm in no hurry, so if you're willing to help solve this mystery, then by all means let's try what you think might work :)

@egnm1969, I have remove all codec verbs from the ConfigData. The only codec verbs still in there is line out codec verbs.

00F71C60 00F71D40 00F71E01 00F71F01

0 0F 71C 6 0  node 15 association 6 sequence 0
0 0F 71D 4 0  node 15 Green Jack Detect Override
0 0F 71E 0 1  node 15 Line Out 1/8" stereo
0 0F 71F 0 1  node 15 port 0 Location 1

http://www.mediafire.com/?z1sjli0yydx

Hope no kernel panic this time. :)

kizwan

@egnm1969, I'm afraid there is something else going on here. Do you have extra space on your hard disk? I think we need to test the driver on clean system. I just want to eliminate any factor that can cause kernel panic. You don't need to erase existing installation, just with enough disk space you can setup fresh OS X for testing.

Meanwhile, I prepared another driver for you to test. This time, line out was replaced with headphone out.

ALC260_egnm1969.10.5.6_Alpha6.pkg.zip

kizwan

@kizwan - Good idea about the lack of diskspace Kizwan, but all the testing I have done has been on a 160GB "clean/virgin system" with nothing else loaded :unsure:

I have a clean "image" (I use Paragon Disk Backup to take images for testing...) of 10.5.6 with nothing else loaded (no additional drivers/apps are added). The files installed on that clean 10.5.6 image are:

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Intel ICHx Driver

Intel Pro 100 VE Network Driver

Power Management Drivers

MacBook Pro SMBIOS

PS/2 Keyboard Fix (enables the laptop keyboard & touchpad)

Shutdown Fix

Now I tried your latest driver on this image and unfortunately the same thing happened again... when trying to alter the volume level either from either the menubar or from within the Sound Preferences section, the machine froze (see pic 1). It did show this time in the Sound Output section that Headphones was an option... so that's helpful ! ;) (see pic 2)

I then decided to try a virgin build straight from the installation discs without the Power Management Drivers, SMBIOS & Shutdown Fix just in case they were causing the problems, but again it crashed in the same places as before... DOH !! (see pic 3)

As per normal I've added the System.log & pics to a ZIP file & attached it to this message to show you what happened. Other than that, I'm afraid there's nothing else I can see that I'm doing any differently... If you have any further ideas then let me know, as I'm more than willing to try :)

Thanks

Latest_Files_12_04_08.zip

Hi egnm1969,

I hope I'm not asking you too much. :unsure: Can you setup a fresh OS X but this time instead using voodoo kernel, can you install vanilla (original) kernel? And as SMBIOS, can you install SMBIOSResolver instead the patched one? I believe it is a proper way because it works with original AppleSMBIOS. I think this two thing is very crucial in getting AppleHDA driver working properly. I'm not saying that voodoo kernel is the cause of the problem but I just want to eliminate the possibility. ;) I'm quite worried with a lot of error/warning message in the log file.

Which release did you use to install leopard 10.5.6? Is it iPC, iDeneb or XxX?

kizwan

Hi kizwan! I'm come-back with good news! First(good) i now what is the error 253! This error appear in system log after i have install Acpifix! This fix install this files in extensions folder - AppleACPIPlatform.kext IOACPIFamily.kext

AppleAPIC.kext. I install this pach for power-off my system after sleep command else ma nout only off display and continue working - this second(bad) news.. kizwan maybe you attach yours versions files on this topic, i test it...

And now - i have same problem like egnm1969 - kernel panic after touching volume bar - no sound!!! But now in system i see lineout and headpones!!!! In report i see that:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x104D81F1

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Headphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Line Out:

Connection: Internal

Microphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Microphone:

Connection: Internal

Perfect!!! Its yours pinconfig data! If i remove them and rest only one 00F chain - than only one device rest and problem speaker bar not gone! Binary patch 3d6202ec10 - 3d6002ec10 is BAD after that all sound disappear!!!

This my systemlog i have new error: kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2645 goto Exit

system.txt.zip

Hi bobbygun,

That is good news. :unsure: Which kernel did you installed, vanilla (original) or voodoo kernel? If you installed voodoo kernel, can you do the same thing I ask egnm1969 to do? Try not applying any ACPI or APIC patch for now until we get your sound working.

That "Sound assertion" error is not critical. We need to resolve the kernel panic first.

kizwan

kizwan! We DID IT!!!! KERNEL Voodoo 9.5!!!! I change on 9.4StageXNU and oops! I with SOUND!!!!!:)

Thank you very very mach!!!!! I post latter i must go....

I'm glad it working for you. Can you confirm both output, line out & headphone, are working?

On my laptop (Aspire 9420) also have line out where it functions are internal speaker & headphone. When I plug headphone to the jack port, internal speaker will mute & audio will come out through headphone. It make sense since I only have one jack port for headphone & my linux codec dump stated that my line out have jack detection capability (Misc 0).

But it is not true in your case because your line out & headphone don't have jack detection capability (Misc 1). That mean you probably need to select manually which output you want to use in the Sound control panel.

@egnm1969 & @bobbygun,

Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2645 goto Exit

This error is related to headphone codec verbs/pin configuration. I believe it is because this error does not appear in egnm1969's log file for egnm1969_Alpha4 & egnm1969_Alpha5, but it appear with egnm1969_Alpha6. This is because headphone pathmap only exist in egnm1969_Alpha6 & bobbygun_Alpha1. However, I don't think this error is critical if bobbygun can confirm both internal speaker & headphone working.

kizwan

hi kizwan,

i've been waiting for this ALC260 driver, i'm following your post in ALC262 until this thread. but your ALC260 driver didn't work for me. i'm very noob on this, may be you can help me to makes my soundcard driver working. here's i attach my codec dump using Ubuntu.

thank you.

alc260.txt

@kizwan - Of course I'm not offended by you asking anything :thumbsup_anim: Ask as much as you like because if it helps resolve the problem & we've both learn't something from this "experience", then I've got no problem installing OSX loads of times & trying various combinations of the setup to see which works :thumbsup_anim: Hell, at the end of all this I'll have hopefully learn't something more about OSX, and I'm happy with that :thumbsup_anim:

I've attached a PDF which shows the specs of my laptop, should you want to see what you are dealing with... although on my laptop I've upgraded the memory to 1GB & the HD to a 160GB HD. You also wanted to know which OSX package I'm using to install... it's the iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 PPF5 Final Release (http://######.com/ipcosx86/?page_id=96). You can see all the installation options on the website I've quoted here...Is there anything else you want me to try as well as the Vanilla Kernal & SMBios Resolver installation before I disappear for a while installing this ?

Thanks

P.S.: By the way I forgot to say this a long time ago, call me Ed... it's a lot easier than typing egnm1969 all the time :thumbsup_anim:

Sony_VGN_FS115S.pdf

hi kizwan,

i've been waiting for this ALC260 driver, i'm following your post in ALC262 until this thread. but your ALC260 driver didn't work for me. i'm very noob on this, may be you can help me to makes my soundcard driver working. here's i attach my codec dump using Ubuntu.

thank you.

Hi fatsal,

I'll take a look at your codec dump after I get confirmation from Ed & bobbygun that their ALC260 (audio output) working properly. FYI, I'm only able to get audio out working from ALC260 because I still don't know how to handle pin complex NID (in this case pin complex for audio input) that is connected directly to audio input NID. As far as I know, the connection should be like this:-

output device: <pin complex>-<audio mixer>-<audio output>
input device: <audio input>-<audio mixer>-<pin complex> or <audio input>-<audio selector>-<audio selector>-<pin complex>

I use 10.5.6 AppleHDA.kext as a template or base kext.

I need to know a little bit about your setup (kernel version, smbios & etc).

kizwan

hi kizwan thanks for quickly replay,

for my kernel and smbios :

kernel : 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep 3 11:29:43 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

SMBios : AppleSMBIOS original from your attachment on post#54

for the installation i'm using iPC 10.5.6 final.

right now i'm using your previous driver ALC260_egnm1969.10.5.6_Alpha4.pkg, the speaker icon show up in my top bar and run smoothly without error but there is no sound out from my internal laptop speaker. FYI, i'm using NEC Versa P8210.

maybe my specification hardware can clear you out to find out.

regards

Hi kizwan! Speakers work perfect, lineout - only one chanel :( . No mic in audio devices, i see into PathMap no mic. I try 4-12 and 5-7-15 chain no results! Maybe order PathMap correspondly devices is important? Line out, speaker , mic internal, mic external....

Second problem with Power button - before i use Acpifix - and after applaying this pach pressing power key appear menu sleep-poweroff-restart-logout. And now this pach impossible to use....

kizwan! Do you now enather way to activate my power key?

Hi kizwan! Speakers work perfect, lineout - only one chanel :( . No mic in audio devices, i see into PathMap no mic. I try 4-12 and 5-7-15 chain no results! Maybe order PathMap correspondly devices is important? Line out, speaker , mic internal, mic external....

Second problem with Power button - before i use Acpifix - and after applaying this pach pressing power key appear menu sleep-poweroff-restart-logout. And now this pach impossible to use....

kizwan! Do you now enather way to activate my power key?

@bobbygun, I don't have solution for input devices yet. What do you mean only one channel? Headphone is working right?

Hi kizwan! This is my mistake, i use iphone headphones and jack inserted too dep - only one chanel contakt.... Output work prefect all chanell... Whot about Mic? It possible to work?

I'm glad output working for you. I don't have any idea yet to get mic working. The problem is no Audio Mixer or Audio Selector connected between Pin Complex & Audio Input. You can refer to .SVG file that I gave to you not long time ago. I will explain a little bit later because I have to go. For the sake of the Earth, power utility company decided to turn of electrical supply to my neighborhood. :blink:

kizwan

• 2 weeks later...
hi kizwan thanks for quickly replay,

for my kernel and smbios :

kernel : 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep 3 11:29:43 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

SMBios : AppleSMBIOS original from your attachment on post#54

for the installation i'm using iPC 10.5.6 final.

right now i'm using your previous driver ALC260_egnm1969.10.5.6_Alpha4.pkg, the speaker icon show up in my top bar and run smoothly without error but there is no sound out from my internal laptop speaker. FYI, i'm using NEC Versa P8210.

maybe my specification hardware can clear you out to find out.

regards

Use that one instead. Its works great.

ALC260

@kizwan - Of course I'm not offended by you asking anything :hysterical: Ask as much as you like because if it helps resolve the problem & we've both learn't something from this "experience", then I've got no problem installing OSX loads of times & trying various combinations of the setup to see which works :D Hell, at the end of all this I'll have hopefully learn't something more about OSX, and I'm happy with that :D

I've attached a PDF which shows the specs of my laptop, should you want to see what you are dealing with... although on my laptop I've upgraded the memory to 1GB & the HD to a 160GB HD. You also wanted to know which OSX package I'm using to install... it's the iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 PPF5 Final Release (http://######.com/ipcosx86/?page_id=96). You can see all the installation options on the website I've quoted here...Is there anything else you want me to try as well as the Vanilla Kernal & SMBios Resolver installation before I disappear for a while installing this ?

Thanks

P.S.: By the way I forgot to say this a long time ago, call me Ed... it's a lot easier than typing egnm1969 all the time :P

Hi Ed,

Any new news? Does Alpha4, Alpha5 or Alpha6 working with the new setup for you?

kizwan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around trying to get audio with OSX on my laptop.

I have an Aspire 1642WLMi with the dreaded ALC260 audio chip.

So far I have tried a codec dump I found online with Taruga's patcher and a few other kexts.

I have tried iDeneb 1.3 and 1.4 and even iAtkos v.5 but none seems to help with the audio issue.

It seems from this thread that you guys are getting somewhere (thanks to kizwan, egnm1969 and bobbygun).

I wonder if any of these solutions have been tried on the Aspire 164x series and if they work. If not, I volunteer to help out but I am a bit of a noob so you may have to explain things as you are talking to a lay person.

Hi Ed,

Any new news? Does Alpha4, Alpha5 or Alpha6 working with the new setup for you?

kizwan

Hi Kizwan,

Apologies for not replying sooner but I've been on holiday for a month in New Zealand, and forgot all about replying to this :thumbsup_anim: I've tried it again since coming back and found that your Alpha4 & Alpha5 drivers both worked successfully on a fresh build, so a big THANK YOU for all your help in solving my problem :D