calling all ALC260 users

sebhag

102 posts in this topic

I'm getting conflicting messages from this forum regarding Alc260 compatibility and was hoping someone could clear this thing up for me.

Several people in various posts seem to suggest that they have their alc260 working through the internal speakers of their laptop. Would you please be so kind and explain how you got there? I.e. which kext, OS install and device id's are you using?

So far under 10.6, I've removed the AppleHDA.kext, kextcache and mkext, downloaded a 10.3 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, edited IOHDAudioCodecVendorID (0x10ec0260) and IOPCIPrimaryMatch (0x26688086) in AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, repaired permissions, etc.

Since everything i've tried is based on other audio codecs i'm not even sure if this would work all.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated,

Thanks.

Here are the posts i was refering, to:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...2&hl=alc260

"With AppleAzalia sound works but only on embedded speakers, headphones are not working." - maniac19 where are you??? Yes, a working headphone socket would be nice, but i'd be happy with anything as long as i don't have to carry another device around with me.

also, mcdull seems to suggest he's got sound working on embedded speakers:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry68550

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry39529

same for blinksilver in this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...8&hl=alc260

Where are you guys? Please, share your information with us.

We are around ; ). I can confirm the the ALC260 is working and as decribed above will only work for the internal speakers of your laptop OR, the single stereo output of your desktop. not much else can be done, unless you are willing to code.

blinksilver,

Could you show us how you did make it work?

All the links above just shows nothing but remarks from ppl having same problems

I promise to post something come tuesday of next week, sorry, I have been really busy lately and have not gotten around to doing anything at all related to OS X86, not that i am need much anymore these days with all the good hackers around. : ). But i will get around to it then, just pester me, but right now i have two algorithm courses, and two midterms, a programming project and alot of reading., but i will post id and all that stuff later, maybe even get around to a generic laptop install guide for the genius bar.

sorry for the delay, i bought a stopgap measure for my OSx86 fix (a barebottom macbook) and have not had time in a while. seven days a week i work or am at school till 5. But I promise to get to it.

I promise to post something come tuesday of next week, sorry, I have been really busy lately and have not gotten around to doing anything at all related to OS X86, not that i am need much anymore these days with all the good hackers around. : ). But i will get around to it then, just pester me, but right now i have two algorithm courses, and two midterms, a programming project and alot of reading., but i will post id and all that stuff later, maybe even get around to a generic laptop install guide for the genius bar.

sorry for the delay, i bought a stopgap measure for my OSx86 fix (a barebottom macbook) and have not had time in a while. seven days a week i work or am at school till 5. But I promise to get to it.

blinksilver,

I am looking forward to your install guide for alc260 :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
I ve got sound with 10.4.3 kext out of the box - but only if I start XP-restart and start OSX-than you will have sound.

Yeah, that happens sometimes. Windows using its drivers intialize the sound chips and then when you boot into OSX, BIOS or something keeps the sound chips initialized and they work. Until reboot.

Thanks for the information, this is very useful.

When you say the 10.4.3 kext is working out of the box, you mean it works without adding your own ID's, right?

Would you also be able to tell me whether you're using AppleHDA or AppleAzaliaAudio kext or both?

Many thanks,

Seb.

Coolio and Asgirl69,

could you please elaborate on your statements. Exactly which kext are you using, AppleHDA or Azalia? Or did you just not do anything at all and just used a 10.4.3 iso?

I'm running 10.4.6 and tried various combinations (including Azalia from 10.4.3) but don't seem to get anything at all even after reboot from XP.

Thanks,

Seb.

including Azalia from 10.4.3

I really wonder if the Azalia kext is different in 10.4.3. It is the same version for every other OSX version after that. The following is from the version.plist inside the kext. Is this what your 10.4.3 kext says:

<key>BuildVersion</key>
<string>238</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.0.0</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.0.0d1</string>
<key>ProjectName</key>
<string>AppleAzaliaAudio</string>
<key>SourceVersion</key>
<string>80000</string>

Thanks.

I'm using 10.4.6 with all the kexts that come with it (I have not replaced any) and it just works when i restart from XP. That's all i can tell you. I don't know why mine works and other people's doesn't, but I'm still not satisfied, I'm still going to try and work out how to bypass the XP restart.

Thanks for the response guys.

Rammjet, you were right about the Azalia version it's identical to 10.4.3. I downloaded it from another thread which seemed to suggest that it makes a difference.

Asgirl69, I've tried a fresh 10.4.6 install and didn't get anything on reboot.

Could you please tell me which iso you installed from and which bootloader you are using?

Not sure if this even matters, but did you guys make any changes to your bios settings? For example, i could imagine that it makes a difference whether resources are managed by the OS or bios. :sorcerer:

Thanks.

Seb.

I'm using the Myzar 10.4.5 image updated to 10.4.6 (I think it was a JaS update) and I'm running it natively using the windows boot loader and the Chain0 command in windows' boot.ini. This means that I don't use any separate bootloader, so if you're using one that may be your problem. You can add it into your windows bootloader by putting the Chain0 file (mine was on my vmware ready iso) and then putting the following as a new line in boot.ini:

C:\chain0="Mac OS x86"

I hope that helps, but if it doesn't, tell me ;)

Aznracer,

I've just tried a fresh 10.4.7 install but still nothing. I had to use VMware for the install though but i don't think that matters (runs native after the install). I've tried to find out whether the Sony VGN-TX750 definately has an ALC260 but couldn't get any info. Can you remember if you installed any additional patches other than combo update and SSE2 patch? I'm on a Sony VGN-A417M with Intel i915 chipset (details attached). Could you please send a screengrab of your cpu-z results or just post them so i can work out where the spec differs? :(

Asgirl69,

i'm already using windows bootloader with chain0 command :D so no luck there. I will however try a 10.4.5 Myzar iso too, just in case. Could you please also post your cpu-z results for me to compare?

Many thanks.

post-31056-1165873381_thumb.jpg

As mentioned before, I got ALC260 work out of the box with 10.4.3. Didn't modify anything. And I have not tired higher version with my laptop.

Only internal speaker work so I finally give up.. (a cheap USB sound device could be a solution).

Now I have

1. USB WiFi (Buffalo)

2. USB BlueTooth (CSR 2.0)

3. USB Sound (Cheap Cheap Stick)

4. USB Card Reader (Internal one won't work)

5. USB hub of course.

Finally, my laptop is no longer laptop.