[GUIDE] MSI H81M Motherboards - Basics of a Computer Build - Budget Hackintosh Builds - UEFI Dualboot - OS X El Capitan WIP*

MSI Intel HD Graphics 4400 Intel HD Graphics 4600 EasyUEFI H81M NVIDIA Dualboot ALC887 Windows OS X

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Thank you so much! It worked! :thumbsup_anim:

Glad it worked for you. Have fun and remember El Capitan Releases on September 30!  B)

heyang1987

heyang1987

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Glad it worked for you. Have fun and remember El Capitan Releases on September 30!  B)

Thanks! Actually everything works except Sleep/Wake up. Sleep is fine, but I can't wake up it using mouse or keyboard, only power button. And power button will just make it restart, and the CMOS will be reset. I followed this thread:

http://www.insanelym...tch-cmos-reset/

Now it can't reboot now. The apple logo will show, but the progress bar will not even loaded a bit. Then it reboot again. Don't know what to do...

Thank you for all your help.

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Thanks! Actually everything works except Sleep/Wake up. Sleep is fine, but I can't wake up it using mouse or keyboard, only power button. And power button will just make it restart, and the CMOS will be reset. I followed this thread:

http://www.insanelym...tch-cmos-reset/

Now it can't reboot now. The apple logo will show, but the progress bar will not even loaded a bit. Then it reboot again. Don't know what to do...

Thank you for all your help.

It doesn't wake up from the keyboard/mouse because the USBs are not receiving power in sleep. This problem can be fixed by reading the MSI H81M Motherboard manual that came in the box. The jumpers to enable S3 state on the motherboard have to be set manually.

Yes, I know this is not in the guide either lol. So behind on it.  :moil:

After correctly setting up the jumpers, a new option on the MSI BIOS screen will appear called Wake Up Event Setup in the Advanced menu.

Wake should work, unless there's a problem with your graphics card. AppleRTC can be patched using clover automatically. As for not booting, you have to boot in verbose mode to see where its getting stuck.

heyang1987

heyang1987

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your reply. I set the timeout of clover boot load to 0... So it wouldn't let me to put in boot args... Do you know any solution?
Thank you so much!

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Thank you for your reply. I set the timeout of clover boot load to 0... So it wouldn't let me to put in boot args... Do you know any solution?
Thank you so much!

You can always boot using the USB installer.

heyang1987

heyang1987

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You can always boot using the USB installer.

Thank you so much! I had to reinstall the OSX, and used the Clover to patch the AppleRTC. Then enabled the BIOS USB power jumpers. Finally, everything works!!!!

Wanna hug you!!! :P

Universekid

Universekid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

This is a very detailed description. Thank You!

michaelvp879

michaelvp879

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If we disable SIP with the values in your guide and copy all kexts to the 10.11 folder, is it possible to upgrade from yosemite to el capitan directly from the App Store? I have already updated Clover to the latest build. 

I have the same specs as your build except I have a different processor (i5-4690k). Again, thank you for making a very clear and comprehensive guide.

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

If we disable SIP with the values in your guide and copy all kexts to the 10.11 folder, is it possible to upgrade from yosemite to el capitan directly from the App Store? I have already updated Clover to the latest build. 

I have the same specs as your build except I have a different processor (i5-4690k). Again, thank you for making a very clear and comprehensive guide.

Is it important for you to upgrade to El Capitan right now? If not I suggest you wait. Currently if you upgrade now, the back 4 usb 3.0 ports will not work. This is because these ports are controlled by a 3rd party controller named VIA. Only Intel USB controllers work natively at this time. All USB 2.0 ports work fine as well as any front usb 3.0/2.0 ports work since these are controlled by Intel.

As for upgrading from the App Store, yes it's possible. I've done this before. So just make sure your config.plist is setup to use CSR config. Add all necessary kexts to the Clover 10.11 folder. Something new that you have to do is that you must replace a Clover Driver. If you use Clover Configurator, mount your EFI partition and then go to Install Drivers. You'll see that OsxAptioFixDrv is installed since its in grey. Click on it so that the box turns white. Now install OsxAptioFix2Drv by clicking on it. 

We're replacing the old OsxAptioFixDrv with version 2 since the old driver causes OS X El Capitan to fail to boot.

Remember that if you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, you must disable it by booting with the flag nv_disable=1. You cannot use Yosemite NVIDIA drivers on El Capitan. 

And that's pretty much it. After the Install OS X El Capitan app restarts your computer, the clover boot loader should show you a new partition saying install OS X El Capitan. Boot to this partition since this is where the installation will begin. Let it install and restart. Then that partition will disappear automatically and you're left with your normal partitions. Boot to your OS X partition and that should boot you to the desktop. Then download the El Capitan Nvidia web drivers to get the graphics card working again. 

michaelvp879

michaelvp879

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you for the prompt response. I appreciate the information/knowledge you've provided.  I will go ahead and wait till there is support for the USB ports.

Is it important for you to upgrade to El Capitan right now? If not I suggest you wait. Currently if you upgrade now, the back 4 usb 3.0 ports will not work. This is because these ports are controlled by a 3rd party controller named VIA. Only Intel USB controllers work natively at this time. All USB 2.0 ports work fine as well as any front usb 3.0/2.0 ports work since these are controlled by Intel.

As for upgrading from the App Store, yes it's possible. I've done this before. So just make sure your config.plist is setup to use CSR config. Add all necessary kexts to the Clover 10.11 folder. Something new that you have to do is that you must replace a Clover Driver. If you use Clover Configurator, mount your EFI partition and then go to Install Drivers. You'll see that OsxAptioFixDrv is installed since its in grey. Click on it so that the box turns white. Now install OsxAptioFix2Drv by clicking on it. 

We're replacing the old OsxAptioFixDrv with version 2 since the old driver causes OS X El Capitan to fail to boot.

Remember that if you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, you must disable it by booting with the flag nv_disable=1. You cannot use Yosemite NVIDIA drivers on El Capitan. 

And that's pretty much it. After the Install OS X El Capitan app restarts your computer, the clover boot loader should show you a new partition saying install OS X El Capitan. Boot to this partition since this is where the installation will begin. Let it install and restart. Then that partition will disappear automatically and you're left with your normal partitions. Boot to your OS X partition and that should boot you to the desktop. Then download the El Capitan Nvidia web drivers to get the graphics card working again. 

bilben1

bilben1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Thank you so much for this wonderful guide. It is great!! I have now successufully buit two build with MSI H81I mainboards, one uses an 13-4170 and the othe a pentium G3258 and they both work perfectly with Yos´mite 10.10.5. I have just updated both to El Capitan release version. The  one issue that has come up is that the Renasas USB 3.0 does not work properly. It is eventually recognized but works very very slowly to a point where it cannot be used. I have also noticed that if I plug it into that port and try to boot it will kernel panic. Have you come across any solutions for this issue yet?

Again thank you very much for preparring this guide.

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Thank you so much for this wonderful guide. It is great!! I have now successufully buit two build with MSI H81I mainboards, one uses an 13-4170 and the othe a pentium G3258 and they both work perfectly with Yos´mite 10.10.5. I have just updated both to El Capitan release version. The  one issue that has come up is that the Renasas USB 3.0 does not work properly. It is eventually recognized but works very very slowly to a point where it cannot be used. I have also noticed that if I plug it into that port and try to boot it will kernel panic. Have you come across any solutions for this issue yet?

Again thank you very much for preparring this guide.

Thank you for the feedback! Right now 3rd party USB controllers (VIA, Renasas) do not work on El Capitan, which is why the back 4 usb 3.0 ports don't work as intended. I recommend that if you really need those ports working, then use OS X Yosemite. I do not have a time frame of when there will be a fix for this.

erlendur

erlendur

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thank you for this guide. I know a lot of time and effort has gone into it and I appreciate the effort. Following it I have successfully set up my computer with the latest Yosemite 10.10.5. and planning to stay with it for a while.

My equipment:

MSI H81M-E34 MB

16 GB RAM

Intel i7 3.6 Ghz

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth card AzureWave AW-CE123H sitting in a Gigabyte PCI-e card.

SSD X 2

Nvidia Geforce GT 720 2GB

all happily living in a modified G5 Tower

All items working and no complaints. Minor hick-up with audio (ALC887) in the beginning.

Thanks again. :lol: 

E

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Thank you for this guide. I know a lot of time and effort has gone into it and I appreciate the effort. Following it I have successfully set up my computer with the latest Yosemite 10.10.5. and planning to stay with it for a while.

My equipment:

MSI H81M-E34 MB

16 GB RAM

Intel i7 3.6 Ghz

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth card AzureWave AW-CE123H sitting in a Gigabyte PCI-e card.

SSD X 2

Nvidia Geforce GT 720 2GB

all happily living in a modified G5 Tower

All items working and no complaints. Minor hick-up with audio (ALC887) in the beginning.

Thanks again. :lol: 

E

Glad you found the guide useful! :) Hackintosh can be a bit of a pain but I believe its rewarding at the end. I'm considering adding bluetooth/wifi to my hackintosh build as well whenever I have the time.

Micky1979

Micky1979

I realized that I am lucky

• Retired
  • 4,864 posts

Good Topic!

NVDIA Web Driver Updater.app show you the correct latest version for each OSes you have?

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Good Topic!
NVDIA Web Driver Updater.app show you the correct latest version for each OSes you have?

Yes it does. The screenshot taken was just a sample on how it works. The driver for Yosemite installed and the latest drivers are the same since that's what NVIDIA released.

Micky1979

Micky1979

I realized that I am lucky

• Retired
  • 4,864 posts

:D 

vinko1990

vinko1990

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Could you please update the tutorial? I have the same motherboard with i3-4130 and nvidia gtx 750ti and for me USB3.0 doesn't work. Specially when i download the pack 0.7 i can see that there are more folder and file in the package and i don't know what to do :( 

And btw if i follow the post-installation guide from tonymac (using #####) my system boot after the installation of the nvidia driver, if i follow the post-installation of this tutorial it doesn't. :(

GhostRaider

GhostRaider

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Could you please update the tutorial? I have the same motherboard with i3-4130 and nvidia gtx 750ti and for me USB3.0 doesn't work. Specially when i download the pack 0.7 i can see that there are more folder and file in the package and i don't know what to do :(

And btw if i follow the post-installation guide from tonymac (using #####) my system boot after the installation of the nvidia driver, if i follow the post-installation of this tutorial it doesn't. :(

You should be aware that these motherboards use a 3rd party USB 3.0 controller. Those ports will not work unless a developer makes a patch unfortunately. So if you really need those ports working, you may have to downgrade to OS X Yosemite. And what post installation are you following? This guide was not updated to OS X El Capitan due to the USB 3.0 ports problem.

vinko1990

vinko1990

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You should be aware that these motherboards use a 3rd party USB 3.0 controller. Those ports will not work unless a developer makes a patch unfortunately. So if you really need those ports working, you may have to downgrade to OS X Yosemite. And what post installation are you following? This guide was not updated to OS X El Capitan due to the USB 3.0 ports problem.

Oh, the first page of the tutorial it say that USB3 works, and when i go in the download page for the H81M packs the release 0.7 say:

• Added updated patched IOUSBFamily Kext which enables all USB 3.0 ports, faster restart and shutdown speeds, and stability when sleeping and waking

If i decide to don't use the back USB3.0 ports, could you tell me if on El Capitan the wifi key TP-Link WD3200 works, or suggest me a driver or kext? Because i don't have ethernet cable and i really need internet on my desktop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MSI, Intel HD Graphics 4400, Intel HD Graphics 4600, EasyUEFI, H81M, NVIDIA, Dualboot, ALC887, Windows, OS X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy