[GUIDE] MSI H81M Motherboards - Basics of a Computer Build - Budget Hackintosh Builds - UEFI Dualboot - OS X El Capitan WIP*

152 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

If we disable SIP with the values in your guide and copy all kexts to the 10.11 folder, is it possible to upgrade from yosemite to el capitan directly from the App Store? I have already updated Clover to the latest build. 

I have the same specs as your build except I have a different processor (i5-4690k). Again, thank you for making a very clear and comprehensive guide.

If we disable SIP with the values in your guide and copy all kexts to the 10.11 folder, is it possible to upgrade from yosemite to el capitan directly from the App Store? I have already updated Clover to the latest build. 

I have the same specs as your build except I have a different processor (i5-4690k). Again, thank you for making a very clear and comprehensive guide.

Is it important for you to upgrade to El Capitan right now? If not I suggest you wait. Currently if you upgrade now, the back 4 usb 3.0 ports will not work. This is because these ports are controlled by a 3rd party controller named VIA. Only Intel USB controllers work natively at this time. All USB 2.0 ports work fine as well as any front usb 3.0/2.0 ports work since these are controlled by Intel.

As for upgrading from the App Store, yes it's possible. I've done this before. So just make sure your config.plist is setup to use CSR config. Add all necessary kexts to the Clover 10.11 folder. Something new that you have to do is that you must replace a Clover Driver. If you use Clover Configurator, mount your EFI partition and then go to Install Drivers. You'll see that OsxAptioFixDrv is installed since its in grey. Click on it so that the box turns white. Now install OsxAptioFix2Drv by clicking on it. 

We're replacing the old OsxAptioFixDrv with version 2 since the old driver causes OS X El Capitan to fail to boot.

Remember that if you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, you must disable it by booting with the flag nv_disable=1. You cannot use Yosemite NVIDIA drivers on El Capitan. 

And that's pretty much it. After the Install OS X El Capitan app restarts your computer, the clover boot loader should show you a new partition saying install OS X El Capitan. Boot to this partition since this is where the installation will begin. Let it install and restart. Then that partition will disappear automatically and you're left with your normal partitions. Boot to your OS X partition and that should boot you to the desktop. Then download the El Capitan Nvidia web drivers to get the graphics card working again. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the prompt response. I appreciate the information/knowledge you've provided.  I will go ahead and wait till there is support for the USB ports.

Is it important for you to upgrade to El Capitan right now? If not I suggest you wait. Currently if you upgrade now, the back 4 usb 3.0 ports will not work. This is because these ports are controlled by a 3rd party controller named VIA. Only Intel USB controllers work natively at this time. All USB 2.0 ports work fine as well as any front usb 3.0/2.0 ports work since these are controlled by Intel.

As for upgrading from the App Store, yes it's possible. I've done this before. So just make sure your config.plist is setup to use CSR config. Add all necessary kexts to the Clover 10.11 folder. Something new that you have to do is that you must replace a Clover Driver. If you use Clover Configurator, mount your EFI partition and then go to Install Drivers. You'll see that OsxAptioFixDrv is installed since its in grey. Click on it so that the box turns white. Now install OsxAptioFix2Drv by clicking on it. 

We're replacing the old OsxAptioFixDrv with version 2 since the old driver causes OS X El Capitan to fail to boot.

Remember that if you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, you must disable it by booting with the flag nv_disable=1. You cannot use Yosemite NVIDIA drivers on El Capitan. 

And that's pretty much it. After the Install OS X El Capitan app restarts your computer, the clover boot loader should show you a new partition saying install OS X El Capitan. Boot to this partition since this is where the installation will begin. Let it install and restart. Then that partition will disappear automatically and you're left with your normal partitions. Boot to your OS X partition and that should boot you to the desktop. Then download the El Capitan Nvidia web drivers to get the graphics card working again. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this wonderful guide. It is great!! I have now successufully buit two build with MSI H81I mainboards, one uses an 13-4170 and the othe a pentium G3258 and they both work perfectly with Yos´mite 10.10.5. I have just updated both to El Capitan release version. The  one issue that has come up is that the Renasas USB 3.0 does not work properly. It is eventually recognized but works very very slowly to a point where it cannot be used. I have also noticed that if I plug it into that port and try to boot it will kernel panic. Have you come across any solutions for this issue yet?

Again thank you very much for preparring this guide.

Thank you so much for this wonderful guide. It is great!! I have now successufully buit two build with MSI H81I mainboards, one uses an 13-4170 and the othe a pentium G3258 and they both work perfectly with Yos´mite 10.10.5. I have just updated both to El Capitan release version. The  one issue that has come up is that the Renasas USB 3.0 does not work properly. It is eventually recognized but works very very slowly to a point where it cannot be used. I have also noticed that if I plug it into that port and try to boot it will kernel panic. Have you come across any solutions for this issue yet?

Again thank you very much for preparring this guide.

Thank you for the feedback! Right now 3rd party USB controllers (VIA, Renasas) do not work on El Capitan, which is why the back 4 usb 3.0 ports don't work as intended. I recommend that if you really need those ports working, then use OS X Yosemite. I do not have a time frame of when there will be a fix for this.

Thank you for this guide. I know a lot of time and effort has gone into it and I appreciate the effort. Following it I have successfully set up my computer with the latest Yosemite 10.10.5. and planning to stay with it for a while.

My equipment:

MSI H81M-E34 MB

16 GB RAM

Intel i7 3.6 Ghz

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth card AzureWave AW-CE123H sitting in a Gigabyte PCI-e card.

SSD X 2

Nvidia Geforce GT 720 2GB

all happily living in a modified G5 Tower

All items working and no complaints. Minor hick-up with audio (ALC887) in the beginning.

Thanks again. :lol: 

E

• Like 1

Thank you for this guide. I know a lot of time and effort has gone into it and I appreciate the effort. Following it I have successfully set up my computer with the latest Yosemite 10.10.5. and planning to stay with it for a while.

My equipment:

MSI H81M-E34 MB

16 GB RAM

Intel i7 3.6 Ghz

Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth card AzureWave AW-CE123H sitting in a Gigabyte PCI-e card.

SSD X 2

Nvidia Geforce GT 720 2GB

all happily living in a modified G5 Tower

All items working and no complaints. Minor hick-up with audio (ALC887) in the beginning.

Thanks again. :lol: 

E

Glad you found the guide useful! :) Hackintosh can be a bit of a pain but I believe its rewarding at the end. I'm considering adding bluetooth/wifi to my hackintosh build as well whenever I have the time.

• Like 1

Good Topic!

NVDIA Web Driver Updater.app show you the correct latest version for each OSes you have?

Yes it does. The screenshot taken was just a sample on how it works. The driver for Yosemite installed and the latest drivers are the same since that's what NVIDIA released.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please update the tutorial? I have the same motherboard with i3-4130 and nvidia gtx 750ti and for me USB3.0 doesn't work. Specially when i download the pack 0.7 i can see that there are more folder and file in the package and i don't know what to do :( 

And btw if i follow the post-installation guide from tonymac (using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) my system boot after the installation of the nvidia driver, if i follow the post-installation of this tutorial it doesn't. :(

Could you please update the tutorial? I have the same motherboard with i3-4130 and nvidia gtx 750ti and for me USB3.0 doesn't work. Specially when i download the pack 0.7 i can see that there are more folder and file in the package and i don't know what to do :(

And btw if i follow the post-installation guide from tonymac (using #####) my system boot after the installation of the nvidia driver, if i follow the post-installation of this tutorial it doesn't. :(

You should be aware that these motherboards use a 3rd party USB 3.0 controller. Those ports will not work unless a developer makes a patch unfortunately. So if you really need those ports working, you may have to downgrade to OS X Yosemite. And what post installation are you following? This guide was not updated to OS X El Capitan due to the USB 3.0 ports problem.

You should be aware that these motherboards use a 3rd party USB 3.0 controller. Those ports will not work unless a developer makes a patch unfortunately. So if you really need those ports working, you may have to downgrade to OS X Yosemite. And what post installation are you following? This guide was not updated to OS X El Capitan due to the USB 3.0 ports problem.

Oh, the first page of the tutorial it say that USB3 works, and when i go in the download page for the H81M packs the release 0.7 say:

• Added updated patched IOUSBFamily Kext which enables all USB 3.0 ports, faster restart and shutdown speeds, and stability when sleeping and waking

If i decide to don't use the back USB3.0 ports, could you tell me if on El Capitan the wifi key TP-Link WD3200 works, or suggest me a driver or kext? Because i don't have ethernet cable and i really need internet on my desktop.

Oh, the first page of the tutorial it say that USB3 works, and when i go in the download page for the H81M packs the release 0.7 say:

• Added updated patched IOUSBFamily Kext which enables all USB 3.0 ports, faster restart and shutdown speeds, and stability when sleeping and waking
If i decide to don't use the back USB3.0 ports, could you tell me if on El Capitan the wifi key TP-Link WD3200 works, or suggest me a driver or kext? Because i don't have ethernet cable and i really need internet on my desktop.
That's only for OS X Yosemite. I have not updated the pack for OS X El Capitan. As for getting the wifi key working idk. Someone with your key tried the driver from this website, installed it and worked for them. They were however using Yosemite.

http://store.bearextender.com/pages/regarding-yosemite-compatiblity

Has anyone managed to get HDMI audio working? I'm on 10.10.5 and I have an H81M-E33 with ALC887. I've tried using Toledo's utility with audio ID 1-3, but can't get the HDMI audio working. It does work with the 3.5mm jack. Any help would be gratefully accepted. Many thanks.

Hi everyone glad to become a member. Great guide! I chose the MSI B85M-E45 for my build. Are there any differences I need to consider by installing OS X? Will the mobo package provided by you be suitable/helpful for me? It will be my first build. :)

You're going to hackintosh right off the bat? I'd suggest you install windows to make sure everything works before installing OS X. If you install OS X Yosemite then the guide may work for you. There's not much difference between motherboards of this type. Make sure processor and graphics are compatible with os x to have less pain to deal with.

• Like 1

Has anyone managed to get HDMI audio working? I'm on 10.10.5 and I have an H81M-E33 with ALC887. I've tried using Toledo's utility with audio ID 1-3, but can't get the HDMI audio working. It does work with the 3.5mm jack. Any help would be gratefully accepted. Many thanks.

If you go back and read everything on Toledo's utility, it doesn't do the HDMI audio. you have to use the green connector (center one on your motherboard) and connect to the matching input connector on your monitor/tv or external sound system. Or use USB powered speakers. I use the connector on my TV for sound in 10.10.5 with Toledo's script, and the USB Powered speakers in 10.11.1.

Funny thing. HDMI sound works in both Windoze and linux. no reason I can see for Apple disabling it in OS-X.

I've seen other posts to get HDMI audio working with ALC887 on 10.10.5. But this involves running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 7.0.1 then [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.1.0. What will happen if I run these on this build though? As this uses Clover and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installs Chameleon. Is there a way to get the kexts installed from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] versions without the bootloader being affected? The one I want is listed in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as ALC887/888b Current v100302.

I've seen other posts to get HDMI audio working with ALC887 on 10.10.5. But this involves running ##### 7.0.1 then ##### 6.1.0. What will happen if I run these on this build though? As this uses Clover and ##### installs Chameleon. Is there a way to get the kexts installed from the ##### versions without the bootloader being affected? The one I want is listed in ##### as ALC887/888b Current v100302.

I can not comment of stuff from HeWhoMustNotBeNamed. I don't use it.

I haven't run across a kext  or the right config to get it working. It hasn't worked in any version of OS-X from 10.6 on up to 10.11.1.

I use a pair of Maxxtro model # 401238 speakers. Got tired of hunting for what ever would get the HDMI sound to work.

Ok. USB speakers aren't really a viable option for my set up. It's in my living room and hooked up to the TV and sound system. If I go ahead and use the other wizard to get it working. Could I then copy the kexts that it uses and then go back to Clover and replace the kexts that it uses? If so, what kexts and configs would I need to copy back to the Clover set up? Is it just AppleHDA?