• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

OSX86 Noob

OSX86 Noob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
excuse me.. I am having the GMA problem, the Finder bar and dashboard keeps on flashing and disappearing all the time no matter it is by normal boot or safe boot, nothing can be clicked actually..
As I'm not familiar with unix's commands, I hope that you can kindly give me some help in the commands. Thanks in advance.

As mentioned in JaS's official blog:

1. "While in safe boot mode, mount the 10.4.6/10.4.7 JaS install DVD"
Which safe mode? (-x? or -f -s -x? or -f -s? or -v -f -s -x? what do all these symbols mean actually?)
Is it supposed to be a safe mode totally in text? Or a safe mode with GUI?

How do I mount the DVD? My OSX wouldn't automount in safe mode.. And I could not press any button on the Finder bar and the dashboard, so I couldn't start the Terminal at all.

So, it seems that my only way is to go to the safe mode in text. If it is in text safe mode, what is the command for mounting dvd?

2. "Run the following package: /System/Installation/Packages/10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg"
How do I run the package in text mode? please tell me the command and what should I do.

3. "Run Disk Utility, repair permissions and reboot."
How do I run disk utiltity and repair the permissions by typing commands? What's the command for reboot?

P.S. r2d2.kext has already been moved to exrension to extension, no problem with blue screen.

Thanks!
Leo

MacSimizeDenver

MacSimizeDenver

The only true and free China is the Republic of China on Taiwan.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I think I should post my problem in this thread...fits better to the topic. So sorry for a second post.

Here is it:

My PC specs:

-Asus P5LD2-Deluxe
-1st HD on PRI-IDE: 120gig Maxtor with Windows XP Prof SP2 (2 partitions) -Master
Samsung WriteMaster -Slave
-2nd HD on S-ATA (Master) 200gig Samsung SP2004C with JaS 10.4.7 (working until now!!)
-Geforce 4 MX 4000 (PCI card, working with MacVidia 1.0.7)
-512 PC533 Ram
-Apple Pro keybrd and mouse

Well...I installed the JaS 10.4.8 Combo Update for Intel SSE3 this morning. Before that, I had JaS 10.4.7 running without any conflict.

If I want to boot, OSX presents me this on the screen:

....beginnig here with the MacVidia drivers....

NV: MacVidia Driver Version 1.0.7
NV: CRT Monitor Detected On Output: A
Apple 16x50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port On ACPI Device=UAR1
Apple 16x50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200
pci8086,27d8: family specific matching fails
Oct 19 12:07:45 kextd[31]: kextd_watch_volumes: couldn't set up diskarb sessions
AppleIntelPIIXPATA: ICH7 ATA/100 (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xffa0)
WARNING: ATA Drive claims FLUSH CACHE EXT feature support but does not claim Extended LBA feature support
AppleIntelPIIXPATA: 80-conductor cable not detected on primary channel

...end....here it hangs....

So, first I tried the Blue Screen fix JaS mentioned, but here the RSD2.kext can't be loaded (this is also written while OSX is booting).
If I doing the fix it continues booting until it hangs with my Marvell Miniport ethernet driver (there is written yukonosx, so I think its the one because under XP it calls the adapter Yukon too).

Now really f*#"ed up is that my Ethernet adapter won't be regocnized under XP anymore...I tried everything to get it working again. Nothing helps.
MacDrive 6.1.5 warns me under XP that it sets my OSX HD to read-only because of an system failure and say I should re-install OSX on this disk.

Please let me know how I can fix the booting under OSX or what else I have to turn off in the MoBos BIOS (Ethernet, Audio etc.).
I'm feeling really pi$$ed off by this!

skredii

skredii

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

1. "While in safe boot mode, mount the 10.4.6/10.4.7 JaS install DVD"
Which safe mode? (-x? or -f -s -x? or -f -s? or -v -f -s -x? what do all these symbols mean actually?)
Is it supposed to be a safe mode totally in text? Or a safe mode with GUI?

How do I mount the DVD? My OSX wouldn't automount in safe mode.. And I could not press any button on the Finder bar and the dashboard, so I couldn't start the Terminal at all.

Just boot in safe mode with -x option. Mount the DVD with Disk Utility.app under Applications->Utilities. Launch it, and youll see all connected but unmounted drives listed in the column on the left of its window. Select the desired volume and click on the Mount button in the toolbar, and your drive is back in action. Navigate to /System/Installation/Packages and run 10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg (double-click).

3. "Run Disk Utility, repair permissions and reboot."
How do I run disk utiltity and repair the permissions by typing commands?

While in graphic mode, with Disk Utility, select your primary partition holding your system and hit the repair permissions button.

MacSimizeDenver

MacSimizeDenver

The only true and free China is the Republic of China on Taiwan.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
YES!! I made it.... it was some work but now the rsds kernel is working.

After doing theGMA support, repairing permissions I saw that my Display is working in 1024x768.

What's happened to my MacVidia engine? Just doing another repair of the disk permissions and install of MacVidia again?

If I solved this everything will work fine again (I hope)....I'm so thankful to the support in this forum. Great!

UPDATE:
###Problem isn't anymore! Now everything works fine. One idea for MacVidia users who have problems even after the BlueScreen/GMA fix: Don't forget to disable the IONDRVSupport.kext in your extensions library! Otherwise you will have massive problems with your graphics. I run MacVidia 1.0.7 - don't know how this is with 1.0.8 (and still don't want to use 1.0.8 again because otherwise my Eye TV won't work) ###

OSX86 Noob

OSX86 Noob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Just boot in safe mode with -x option. Mount the DVD with Disk Utility.app under Applications->Utilities. Launch it, and youll see all connected but unmounted drives listed in the column on the left of its window. Select the desired volume and click on the Mount button in the toolbar, and your drive is back in action. Navigate to /System/Installation/Packages and run 10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg (double-click).

While in graphic mode, with Disk Utility, select your primary partition holding your system and hit the repair permissions button.

Thanks for the detailed description.
However, I don't have the GUI at all now.. how can I do all those clickings?

Please advice whether I can do all those actions in the text safe mode.

Leo

melchior

melchior

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Does anyone have a solution to get a gui so that packages can be run?

my boot is stuck at the progress indicator whether I am in safe mode or not. looking in verbose mode r2d2 is just going over and over....

Please, someone lend a hand!

p3n5t3r

p3n5t3r

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have the black screen problem as well. I managed to get past to save mode.

I use the asus eax1600xt card. How do I get it working again, I remember setting it up manually, is there a installation pkg available?

melchior

melchior

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
if you can get to a gui in safe mode you can use pacifist to install the x1600 package from 10.4.7 dvd. I tried neopheus' package and it didn't help, though it worked for me 10.4.7....

moss

moss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
yes i have same problem here with club 3d xt 1600
and can't go to a gui
helpppppppppppppppp us

thx

p3n5t3r

p3n5t3r

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I don't have the jas 10.4.7 dvd can i find the particular file somewhere else? Neopheus doesn't work for me as well.

Fuzz

Fuzz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I'm back in the GUI.

Two things -

in the 1st step I had to do
cd sbin
mount -uw /

That was the only way the mv command was accepted.

After doing the r2d2.kext move I typed (and that's the thing !)

sh /etc/rc -x

My machine halted at some point but I ignored it and did a cold reboot to safe mode (this time the usual -x)

(The point for me was that the r2d2 move is not permanent even though I saw it in the Extensions folder. When I did a cold reboot immediately it went back to Exrensions.)

voil Now I can try the GMA patch...

L8rz

ok i have some questions to this (i have tried to do this 4 times now ):

1. cd sbin = this takes me to my normal like yours totally black and useless screen ? atleast it does or me, is it seposed to do that or what should it do and what am i doing wrong?

2.mount -uw/ = it tells me that this comand is wrong or something simular what am i doing wrong?

3. After doing the r2d2.kext move I typed (and that's the thing !) = is that the "mv/system/library/exrensions/r2d2.kext/system/library/extensions" thing if yes? how do i get that to work ? it always tells me " no such file or dirctory" if no what do i have to do?

4. sh/etc/rc-x =what does this command do and what does etc stand for? what do i have to enter for etc?

thx in advanced and please anyone answer me soon im a student and i have some really important work on my mac os partion that i have spend weeks working one and that i have to hand in soon
thx!

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

ok i have some questions to this (i have tried to do this 4 times now ):

SPACES !!

cd sbin		  <-- changes directory to sbin so the next command works (not necessary)
mount -uw /	  <-- note space between w and /  - this mounts the filesystem so you can write to it
mv /system/library/exrensions/r2d2.kext /system/library/extensions/	<-- note spaces  - this moves r2d2.kext
sh /etc/rc -x	<-- tries to run the boot script rc in directory etc with boot flag -x (but it won't)

To fix your installation, you need to follow JaS' instructions: Link

• Boot to single user mode (-s)
  • Move the r2d2.kext
  • Boot to safe mode (-x)
  • Run the GMA900.pkg from the JaS 10.4.6/10.4.7 install DVD
  • Boot your repaired installation
  • If you want to run Pro Apps, install the IOKit.framework from the Apple 10.4.7 Combo update

Ritz Carltn

Ritz Carltn

Ritz Carltn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:HP EliteBook 8540p,i7-820QM, 68CVD Ver F.0F, nVidia NVS5100M, ML with Clover
Combo SSE3 Update is not working here:

JaS 10.4.7 with Koverg's patch for QE/CI. : working Good.
Clean H.D.D and reinstall JaS 10.4.7 : working Good.

-> 10.4.8 SSE3 Combo update: Good.
-> Reboot O.K.

After reboot:
- Replace ATIRadeon9700.Kext that pached by Koverg's pach for QE/CI.
- remove kextcache and mkext File.
- kextcache to /System/Library/Extensions/

Manually reboot as normal: Black screen with Mouse cursor.
- (powered off / on)

Manually reboot into safe mode (-v -f -x):
Booting is O.K. But, no QE/CI.
Repaired Disk Permissions.

Reboot Again into Normal mode (-v):
Black Screen with Mouse Cursor.

I think this is related with Koverg's patch or QE/CI.
I just attached 10.4.8 windowserver & system log.
http://www.edusuin.c...indowserver.log
http://www.edusuin.com/1048system.log

Any Ideas?

P4 2.6 SSE3; 512MB RAM; Intel 945P Board; ATIRadeon X550

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

Any Ideas?

JaS gave instructions in the first posting of this thread for fixing the installation of this package. I summarized them in the posting preceding yours.

The first step was to boot into single user mode (-s) and move r2d2.kext to the correct location.

The second step was to boot into safe mode (-x) and install the GMA900.pkg from either the 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 install DVD. The only effect the 10.4.8 update has on your video is to replace the OpenGL.framework with a newer version. This screws up your video. The 10.4.8 update does not replace any of your kexts that you modded for Boris, Callisto, Macvidia or Koverg. They are all still there. Installing the GMA900.pkg installs the older OpenGL.framework that you need and some other things that you already have because the 10.4.8 update didn't change them. For a list of what the 10.4.8 update does relative to video and what the GMA900.pkg does relative to fixing video, look here: http://forum.insanel...&...st&p=213470

bgrau

bgrau

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
Hi
This does not help those who are unbale to boot into gui safe mode.
Unable to figure out why...

Machine Name: jMac
Machine Model: ADP2,1
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 CPU
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 3.6 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 3.2 GHz
Boot ROM Version: A05 (Dell Computer Corporation)
Serial Number: 1VB521J

Ritz Carltn

Ritz Carltn

Ritz Carltn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:HP EliteBook 8540p,i7-820QM, 68CVD Ver F.0F, nVidia NVS5100M, ML with Clover

JaS gave instructions in the first posting of this thread for fixing the installation of this package. I summarized them in the posting proceeding yours.

The first step was to boot into single user mode (-s) and move r2d2.kext to the correct location.

The second step was to boot into safe mode (-x) and install the GMA900.pkg from either the 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 install DVD. The only effect the 10.4.8 update has on your video is to replace the OpenGL.framework with a newer version. This screws up your video. The 10.4.8 update does not replace any of your kexts that you modded for Boris, Callisto, Macvidia or Koverg. They are all still there. Installing the GMA900.pkg installs the older OpenGL.framework that you need and some other things that you already have because the 10.4.8 update didn't change them. For a list of what the 10.4.8 update does relative to video and what the GMA900.pkg does relative to fixing video, look here: http://forum.insanel...&...st&p=213470

Oh, Beautiful!!
I don't believe it!!! It's working!!!..
Thank you very much Jas Rammjet and Kiko!!!
I missed second step.........

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

This does not help those who are unbale to boot into gui safe mode.

To install the GMA900 package when you can't boot into safe mode (-x), try this:

Boot the 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 install DVD and go to Terminal in the Utilities menu.

Type:

ls -l /System/Installation/Packages

Look for the GMA900 package and get its exact name. On 10.4.6, it should be "10.4.6.GMA900.Support.pkg" and on 10.4.7 "10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg"

Type:

pkgpath="/System/Installation/Packages/(exact-name-of-GMA900-package)"
{use the quote marks, but don't use the parentheses () }

partpath="/Volumes/(the-name-of-your-OSX-partition)"

$partpath/usr/sbin/installer -pkg $pkgpath -target $partpath/

rm -rf $partpath/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf $partpath/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
diskutil repairPermissions $partpath/
reboot

bgrau

bgrau

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
Thanks Rammjet,
but this does not answer my question as to why I and some others cannot boot to gui safe mode?

To install the GMA900 package when you can't boot into safe mode (-x), try this:

Boot the 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 install DVD and go to Terminal in the Utilities menu.

Type:

ls -l /System/Installation/Packages

Look for the GMA900 package and get its exact name. On 10.4.6, it should be "10.4.6.GMA900.Support.pkg" and on 10.4.7 "10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg"

Type:

pkgpath="/System/Installation/Packages/(exact-name-of-GMA900-package)"

partpath="/Volumes/(the-name-of-your-OSX-partition)"

$partpath/usr/sbin/installer -pkg $pkgpath -target $partpath/

rm -rf $partpath/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf $partpath/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
diskutil repairPermissions $partpath/
reboot

papundekl

papundekl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've updated to 10.4.8 but finder still reports 10.4.6
Does it mean anything ?
Anyway thank you !

ohmahgaw246

ohmahgaw246

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I only have the Myzar 10.4.6 DVD and the GMA package is not on the disc. I've searched everywhere to find it standalone but no one has it. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy