fix for JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 boot hang + GMA grahpics issue + Pro apps

JaS

149 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a solution to get a gui so that packages can be run?

my boot is stuck at the progress indicator whether I am in safe mode or not. looking in verbose mode r2d2 is just going over and over....

Please, someone lend a hand!

I'm back in the GUI.

Two things -

in the 1st step I had to do

cd sbin

mount -uw /

That was the only way the mv command was accepted.

After doing the r2d2.kext move I typed (and that's the thing !)

sh /etc/rc -x

My machine halted at some point but I ignored it and did a cold reboot to safe mode (this time the usual -x)

(The point for me was that the r2d2 move is not permanent even though I saw it in the Extensions folder. When I did a cold reboot immediately it went back to Exrensions.)

voilà Now I can try the GMA patch...

L8rz

ok i have some questions to this (i have tried to do this 4 times now ):

1. cd sbin = this takes me to my normal like yours totally black and useless screen ? atleast it does or me, is it seposed to do that or what should it do and what am i doing wrong?

2.mount -uw/ = it tells me that this comand is wrong or something simular what am i doing wrong?

3. After doing the r2d2.kext move I typed (and that's the thing !) = is that the "mv/system/library/exrensions/r2d2.kext/system/library/extensions" thing if yes? how do i get that to work ? it always tells me " no such file or dirctory" if no what do i have to do?

4. sh/etc/rc-x =what does this command do and what does etc stand for? what do i have to enter for etc?

thx in advanced and please anyone answer me soon im a student and i have some really important work on my mac os partion that i have spend weeks working one and that i have to hand in soon

thx!

ok i have some questions to this (i have tried to do this 4 times now ):

SPACES !!

cd sbin		  <-- changes directory to sbin so the next command works (not necessary)
mount -uw /	  <-- note space between w and /  - this mounts the filesystem so you can write to it
mv /system/library/exrensions/r2d2.kext /system/library/extensions/	<-- note spaces  - this moves r2d2.kext
sh /etc/rc -x	<-- tries to run the boot script rc in directory etc with boot flag -x (but it won't)

To fix your installation, you need to follow JaS' instructions: Link

1. Boot to single user mode (-s)

2. Move the r2d2.kext

3. Boot to safe mode (-x)

4. Run the GMA900.pkg from the JaS 10.4.6/10.4.7 install DVD

5. Boot your repaired installation

6. If you want to run Pro Apps, install the IOKit.framework from the Apple 10.4.7 Combo update

Combo SSE3 Update is not working here:

JaS 10.4.7 with Koverg's patch for QE/CI. : working Good.

Clean H.D.D and reinstall JaS 10.4.7 : working Good.

-> 10.4.8 SSE3 Combo update: Good.

-> Reboot O.K.

After reboot:

- Replace ATIRadeon9700.Kext that pached by Koverg's pach for QE/CI.

- remove kextcache and mkext File.

- kextcache to /System/Library/Extensions/

Manually reboot as normal: Black screen with Mouse cursor.

- (powered off / on)

Manually reboot into safe mode (-v -f -x):

Booting is O.K. But, no QE/CI.

Repaired Disk Permissions.

Reboot Again into Normal mode (-v):

Black Screen with Mouse Cursor.

I think this is related with Koverg's patch or QE/CI.

I just attached 10.4.8 windowserver & system log.

http://www.edusuin.com/1048windowserver.log

http://www.edusuin.com/1048system.log

Any Ideas?

P4 2.6 SSE3; 512MB RAM; Intel 945P Board; ATIRadeon X550

Any Ideas?

JaS gave instructions in the first posting of this thread for fixing the installation of this package. I summarized them in the posting preceding yours.

The first step was to boot into single user mode (-s) and move r2d2.kext to the correct location.

The second step was to boot into safe mode (-x) and install the GMA900.pkg from either the 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 install DVD. The only effect the 10.4.8 update has on your video is to replace the OpenGL.framework with a newer version. This screws up your video. The 10.4.8 update does not replace any of your kexts that you modded for Boris, Callisto, Macvidia or Koverg. They are all still there. Installing the GMA900.pkg installs the older OpenGL.framework that you need and some other things that you already have because the 10.4.8 update didn't change them. For a list of what the 10.4.8 update does relative to video and what the GMA900.pkg does relative to fixing video, look here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=213470

Hi

This does not help those who are unbale to boot into gui safe mode.

Unable to figure out why...

Machine Name: jMac

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 3.6 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 3.2 GHz

Boot ROM Version: A05 (Dell Computer Corporation)

Serial Number: 1VB521J

JaS gave instructions in the first posting of this thread for fixing the installation of this package. I summarized them in the posting proceeding yours.

The first step was to boot into single user mode (-s) and move r2d2.kext to the correct location.

The second step was to boot into safe mode (-x) and install the GMA900.pkg from either the 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 install DVD. The only effect the 10.4.8 update has on your video is to replace the OpenGL.framework with a newer version. This screws up your video. The 10.4.8 update does not replace any of your kexts that you modded for Boris, Callisto, Macvidia or Koverg. They are all still there. Installing the GMA900.pkg installs the older OpenGL.framework that you need and some other things that you already have because the 10.4.8 update didn't change them. For a list of what the 10.4.8 update does relative to video and what the GMA900.pkg does relative to fixing video, look here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=213470

Oh, Beautiful!!

I don't believe it!!! It's working!!!..

Thank you very much Jas Rammjet and Kiko!!!

I missed second step.........

This does not help those who are unbale to boot into gui safe mode.

To install the GMA900 package when you can't boot into safe mode (-x), try this:

Boot the 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 install DVD and go to Terminal in the Utilities menu.

Type:

ls -l /System/Installation/Packages

Look for the GMA900 package and get its exact name. On 10.4.6, it should be "10.4.6.GMA900.Support.pkg" and on 10.4.7 "10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg"

Type:

pkgpath="/System/Installation/Packages/(exact-name-of-GMA900-package)"
{use the quote marks, but don't use the parentheses () }

partpath="/Volumes/(the-name-of-your-OSX-partition)"

$partpath/usr/sbin/installer -pkg $pkgpath -target $partpath/

rm -rf $partpath/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf $partpath/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
diskutil repairPermissions $partpath/
reboot

Thanks Rammjet,

but this does not answer my question as to why I and some others cannot boot to gui safe mode?

To install the GMA900 package when you can't boot into safe mode (-x), try this:

Boot the 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 install DVD and go to Terminal in the Utilities menu.

Type:

ls -l /System/Installation/Packages

Look for the GMA900 package and get its exact name. On 10.4.6, it should be "10.4.6.GMA900.Support.pkg" and on 10.4.7 "10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg"

Type:

pkgpath="/System/Installation/Packages/(exact-name-of-GMA900-package)"

partpath="/Volumes/(the-name-of-your-OSX-partition)"

$partpath/usr/sbin/installer -pkg $pkgpath -target $partpath/

rm -rf $partpath/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf $partpath/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
diskutil repairPermissions $partpath/
reboot

I only have the Myzar 10.4.6 DVD and the GMA package is not on the disc. I've searched everywhere to find it standalone but no one has it. Any ideas?

An idea - try this:

Boot into safe-mode (-x)

Insert the Myzar DVD and let it mount on the Desktop.

On the DVD, go to /System/Installation/Packages. Look for a 10.4.6 Update .pkg file (the name might be slightly different). If you can't find it, then look for BaseSystem.pkg

Drag the pkg to the Desktop where it will make a copy.

Right-click on the pkg and select Show Package Contents. Then open Contents folder.

Double-click on "Archive.pax.gz" and let it expand.

Open the Archive folder and go to System -> Library -> Frameworks.

Find the OpenGL.framework. Drag it to this folder on your OSX partition: /System/Library/Frameworks.

You will get 2 dialogs: One will say you can't do that - just click the Authenticate button and give your password. The other will ask if you want to replace the existing file - answer yes.

Go to Disk Utility and repair permissions on your OSX partition.

Reboot.

An idea - try this:

Boot into safe-mode (-x)

Insert the Myzar DVD and let it mount on the Desktop.

On the DVD, go to /System/Installation/Packages. Look for a 10.4.6 Update .pkg file (the name might be slightly different). If you can't find it, then look for BaseSystem.pkg

Drag the pkg to the Desktop where it will make a copy.

Right-click on the pkg and select Show Package Contents. Then open Contents folder.

Double-click on "Archive.pax.gz" and let it expand.

Open the Archive folder and go to System -> Library -> Frameworks.

Find the OpenGL.framework. Drag it to this folder on your OSX partition: /System/Library/Frameworks.

You will get 2 dialogs: One will say you can't do that - just click the Authenticate button and give your password. The other will ask if you want to replace the existing file - answer yes.

Go to Disk Utility and repair permissions on your OSX partition.

Reboot.

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the speedy reply. :P

I copied my OpenGL.framework over from my previous 10.4.5 installation and repaired permissions. All worked well, cheers all involved.

One thing though - I should probably be using the 10.4.7 framework. Any chance someone can zip the "iokit.framework" and the "OpenGL.framework" from 10.4.7 and rapidshare it (perhaps a PM)? Thanks so much.

One thing though - I should probably be using the 10.4.7 framework. Any chance someone can zip the "iokit.framework" and the "OpenGL.framework" from 10.4.7 and rapidshare it (perhaps a PM)?

Download Pacifist from Charlessoft.

Download the 10.4.7 Intel Combo updater from Apple.

Use Pacifist to open the updater pkg from Apple and select the OpenGL.framework and the IOKit.framework and click Install.

Hey guys - any chance you could fix the installer so that we don't have to go through this?

I am a bit of a 'tard when it comes to all this stuff and I find it very time consuming and confusing.

Here is the situation that I am in. I think that I moved the R2D2.kext file but I am not sure - a message popped up about "read only file". I then try to boot into Safe Mode (using f8 then -x) and I get to the blue screen with the Apple and where the horizontal progress bar is but the progress bar does not move. System just hangs.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I just installed the 10.4.8 combo update from 10.4.7 and i am having that boot problem. i tried jas' fix but it keeps saying "disk1s3 write locked" but my os x partition is disk0s1. I cant seem to get it to apply to the right disk. anyone no how to fix this?

-Ross

Hey folks, I hope someone can help me here. After installing JaS.10.4.8.AMD.SSE2.Only.Combo.Update I can no longer install any package. I am getting this error message. Can someone give me guidance?

sudo installer -pkg /Users/Ted/Desktop/SiI3132_1.1.6u_Sil_Pkg.pkg/ -target "/"

Password:

installer: Package name is SiI3132 Mac OS X Driver

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS9ObjectImpC1Eb

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS9ObjectImpC1Eb

Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

Thanks,

Ted

I have had the same problem with black screen after updating to 10.4.8 from 10.4.7 DVD. I've managed to work around the problem in order to get a GUI, by editing ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist and changing CallistoFB back to IONDRVFramebuffer (under IOProviderClass).

Once I was back into the GUI, I installed the GMA package, as described in this thread. However, as soon as I put CallistoFB back into the Info.plist (to get the CI/QE), I'm back to the black screen with a cursor.

Please help!!

I had the black screen issue also. I installed IOKit, OpenGLKit, and the GMA915 kext from the 10.4.5 DVD I have. Now it's working, But I'm curious if I can use some more up to date stuff. I tried installing all those files from the 10.4.7 comboupdate from apple and I still had the black screen issue.

Is this all caused by the kext's, or the OpenGL kit?