Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Update:

I was able to fix both Bluetooth (for those who have BCM4352) with the help of Rehabman. For Bluetooth to work we need to install both BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext in /S/L/E and this will enable Bluetooth and make it fully functional apart from waking from sleep issue. This issue is related to a USB problem and it was found to be a wrong DSDT patch provided by Auto-Patcher mentioned in the guide. The patch to disable USB wake contain a piece of code to rename XHC to XHC1 which was OK prior to 10.11 but is invalid for 10.11. The fix for now is to patch tables without the patch to disable USB wake and apply this patch on its own using MaciASL without renaming XHC at all.

Link to Rehabman's BrcmPatchRAM fix: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-brcmpatchram/overview

Update 2:

I re-created the dummy kext for AppleHDA and got it working although I had to rename it differently. Attached the untouched AppleHDA and AppleHDA282 (the dummy) and can be used as usual. Note: the additional binary patch for AppleHDA that I mentioned in post #725 is still required.

With that accomplished, I believe El Capitan is working as good as Yosemite is on Y510p.  :thumbsup_anim:

AppleHDA - Untouched with Dummy.zip

The problem I had with DummyHDA.kext under 10.11 when I was not able to install it as mentioned in post #725 inspired me an idea. Although I have created a new one that is fine with 10.11, I have also created a script to create and install the dummy kext for AppleHDA so it is a one-stop-shop. Here's a link if anyone is interested: Y510p-OSX-AppleHDA. With this script, no one should wait for me or anybody else to patch AppleHDA or supply new dummy kext (if ever needed).

The problem I had with DummyHDA.kext under 10.11 when I was not able to install it as mentioned in post #725 inspired me an idea. Although I have created a new one that is fine with 10.11, I have also created a script to create and install the dummy kext for AppleHDA so it is a one-stop-shop. Here's a link if anyone is interested: Y510p-OSX-AppleHDA. With this script, no one should wait for me or anybody else to patch AppleHDA or supply new dummy kext (if ever needed).

Did you fix your EDID problem yet ? AFAIK the location of EDID overrides has changed, therefore Clover patching won't work. I believe you have to inject it in your DSDT/SSDTs

Did you fix your EDID problem yet ? AFAIK the location of EDID overrides has changed, therefore Clover patching won't work. I believe you have to inject it in your DSDT/SSDTs

Hmm .. I had no idea about that and assumed the custom EDID is still working considering the problem is not there in 10.11. I should attempt removing the custom EDID and see what would happen. Thanks!

Update:

I disabled injecting EDID and now the problem returned in 10.11. I re-enabled injecting EDID and the problem gone. I guess Clover is still clever and the patch still work.

Audio:

Apple have updated AppleHDA.kext to 272.50 in 10.11 and for those who use VoodooHDA they should have no problems (while being OK with VoodooHDA general limitations). For the others who use native AppleHDA, however, the current methods provided and maintained by intruder16 are not working. Obviously, the first method to use a patched kext was not available for me at install time as intruder have not updated the kexts yet. The other method which relied on a separate kext for the codecs (DummyHDA) in addition to the native untouched AppleHDA kext is not working too and I could not get 10.11 to load DummyHDA at all as I always get this error after installing and clearing cache:

As a workaround, I patched AppleHDA myself to include the codecs required (attached for anyone who need it). I also found that 10.11 requires additional binary patch to AppleHDA which should be included in config.plist:

<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>AppleHDA Replace Apple Codec patch (4 of 4)</string>
	<key>Find</key>
	<data>
	gxnUEQ==
	</data>
	<key>Name</key>
	<string>AppleHDA</string>
	<key>Replace</key>
	<data>
	AAAAAA==
	</data>
</dict> 

So now there should be four patches for AppleHDA in config.plist (as shown using PlistEdit Pro):

bf308431f8e52923.png

And now audio is working fine. One more thing, we needed EAPDFix.kext as mentioned in the guide to fix audio after sleep/wake but now this kext is not working at least in my case. Once installed, system panics and refuse to boot until this kext is removed. For now, CodecCommander is a good alternative that does the job without kernel panics.

Hey, I insalled AppleHDA provided in the archive above along with these patches. Now there is no audio. I was using VoodooHDA. Please help.

Thanks

Hey, I insalled AppleHDA provided in the archive above along with these patches. Now there is no audio. I was using VoodooHDA. Please help.

Thanks

First please confirm you have removed VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler.kext from /S/L/E. Second, after installing the patched AppleHDA.kext and adding the patches to config.plist you have to make sure that kext cache is cleared correctly and regenerated. Clover hot-patching will be applied on regenerating kext cache. You may also need to reboot a couple of times for Clover to notice the cache is regenerated and apply the patches.

Update:

I disabled injecting EDID and now the problem returned in 10.11. I re-enabled injecting EDID and the problem gone. I guess Clover is still clever and the patch still work.

Care to tell what version of Clover were you using in these test ?

First please confirm you have removed VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler.kext from /S/L/E. Second, after installing the patched AppleHDA.kext and adding the patches to config.plist you have to make sure that kext cache is cleared correctly and regenerated. Clover hot-patching will be applied on regenerating kext cache. You may also need to reboot a couple of times for Clover to notice the cache is regenerated and apply the patches.

Thanks, rebuilding cache using KextWizard helped

I have installed El Capitan (through update from yosemite) , all working good from first run except audio working using dummy AppleHDA with patching . Thanks Ahmed for your great efforts

Great .. glad that everything is working for you .. enjoy  :)

I am finding El Capitan slower than Yosemite. Spotlight takes time to load etc. Is it the hackintosh or El Capitan itself is slow?

I have no idea since I'm running off an SSD so everything is generally fast. However, I have not come across a topic where people complain about 10.11 speed yet.

Hey, since you are running 10.11 I wanna ask something related to battery. If you are charging the battery do you see correct remaining time until full in battery menu?

If you are charging the battery do you see correct remaining time until full in battery menu?

I usually keep it full time on charge so haven't noticed. Will let you know. Also sleep causes random reboots, known issue?

Also sleep causes random reboots, known issue?

Sleep is fine here so there is a problem to fix on your setup. It might be related to USB as one of the DSDT patches that are used in AutoPatcher project by intruder16 is outdated and not suitable for 10.11 any more. I can fork the git to maintain proper versions but I want intruder16 to maintain his work. Try to get a log once the random reboot happens so we have a better idea where the problem is.

Hey, I tried booting into the recovery HD for disabling system integration protection but the display is completely distorted. Any fix?

You don't need recovery partition for that if you are using Clover. Edit your config.plist and make sure you have the following under RtVariables key and it will disable SIP completely:

<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x67</string>
As simple as that! (it is included in the attached config.plist for El Capitan within the guide).

... Also if I plugin my hdmi after the system has booted up, the monitor keeps flickering and no display is mirrored from os x. Any fixes for this?

Just read the guide .. (the following is correct as of 10.10.5 but I have not tried the workarounds for 10.11 although I don't think it will change)

HDMI Issues and workarounds:

• If HDMI display is connected after OS X is booted (hot plug), the display will be distorted on the built-in display. This may need a new patch for AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext to get fixed but a workaround is to use the external display to change the built-in display resolution to anything then back to 1920x1080 again.
  • If HDMI display is turned off (or display mode is switched from HDMI) while OS X is running, OS X will freeze for second every few seconds. Turning the external display on (or switching to HDMI mode) again, or disconnecting the HDMI cable will fix the freezing and everything will be normal.

I am still not able to get sleep working. I will elaborate my issue. When I put windows to sleep the display goes off and the led on the power button starts blinking indicating its sleeping. Now, when I put OS X to sleep only the display goes off. The led is not blinking and after sometime it reboots the system. I tried checking if AppleLPC is causing the issue but its loaded properly. pmset -g also doesn't show any relevant issue for preventing sleep. Please help!!