• Gentoo Linux
    • Slackware Linux
    • Knoppix
    • MEPIS Linux
    • Xandros Desktop
    • FreeBSD
    • Other

235 posts in this topic

I just tried out mandriva 2007 POWERPACK (important, without that it would just be another linux distro...) but its great, it feels like, well, a great commercial os that runs great, has all the drivers, and is just great out of the box :)

• 2 weeks later...

At First I would fote for Ubuntu, but I remembered freeBSD wich is much more stable and belive or not I still prefer the BSD license fashion, cause you are free to close the code if you want. FSF may not like it, but I think freedom of software includes the freedom to close the source, don`t you think?

But for first time user ubuntu is the easiest and most stable, it`s like OSX, but is also debian.

• 3 weeks later...

Lemme just throw in, I've tried slackware, ubuntu, fedora, red hat, DSL, knoppix, debian, dyne:bolic, and gentoo. (and possibly a few others)

My vote goes

1: Gentoo

2: Ubunto

Yes, I just like the "too" sound.

nah

slackware was my first, and it was very messy and confusing

fedora looked good, seemed like it would be good, but the pieces just didn't work the way I wanted

red hat, I used an old one on a slow laptop for my brother. It worked. thats about it.

DSL- I've always loved live cd's. AS A LIVE CD. installing live cd's to hdd? just never worked for me. why? slow boot (autoreconfigure devices EVERY TIME) poor customization

knoppix- see above

debian- package listing miles long. Seemed great, but I never managed to actually get it working after spending hours selecting packages

dyne:bolic- slightly handicapped in performance cause I ran it on my xbox. Never did much with it, seemed simple

ubuntu- VERY friendly. pleasing to the eye. Reasonable customizability; as in, "I want X and Y installed" Point, click, done. My problem was basically the problems associated with prebuilt packages; they weren't always properly linked to eachother (esp. when getting 3rd party packages). Essentially, it works real well for the 1st part packages in default, but if you want something that's not already in the repositries, already compiled in, you're in trouble. Which doesn't happen to most people.

Gentoo- for me, gentoo is like ubuntu except EVERY DETAIL is under my thumb. easy to add stuff from 3rd party (esp. cause most 3rd party comes as source code- and gentoo is build locally from source anyway, so it's EASY to use source). USE flags are incredibly wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For a Server: OpenBSD OR FreeBSD OR Solaris.

For a standard "Company Desktop": Ubuntu Linux OR KUbuntu Linux.

For a high-end workstation (3D design, etc): Sabayon Linux.

For a PowerUser station (UNIX expert): Slackware Linux OR Debian Linux.

For a Gaming PC: Microsoft Windows XP Professional OR Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition.

For a Musician or Digital Artist Workstation: Apple Macintosh OS X Tiger OR Apple Macintosh OS X Leopard.

For a PDA: OpenZaurus Linux OR Familiar Linux OR Angstom Linux OR OpenBSD.

Comprehensive list of the basics. Other people will have different needs and preferences, but if I was kitting out anyone with some gear, that's how I'd do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think I'm going to use Ubuntu for now. Thanks for all your help! However, now I need to know something else:

What is the difference between GNOME and KDE?

Thanks for helping! And feel free to keep voting! :)

GNOME is designed to be utilitarian and easy to use, yet also being customisable to a moderate degree. KDE is designed to be very customisable, yet it's also easy to use, whilst letting you be as brash or as subtle as you want :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SUSE is best because of YAST, you don't have to go thru insane command line processes to install your video card drivers, that alone makes it so much better. plus you have the option to disable ipv6 at install ,which lets your DSL WAN connect to the net right away, I have tried many other flavors and they all are a pain in the A** to get running smooth, OPEN SUSE 10.2 is great out of the box.