can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

Display-cfg found at clover wiki or projectosx , in my case customizing Edid + CsmVideo (driver64Uefi) fix apple logo too means no stretched

You need to set Display-cfg? Strange, because the Clover wiki states: "Apparently it is best to just let Clover handle this value. Leave it out completely and let Clover do the calculation.". Clover broken, or you don't need it?

About the streched logo/progressbar: Have you tried to use the same workaround for the old logo/progressbar?

Hi there guys,

great work on getting the animation working,

we are near the vanilla boot,

Btw i don't like meter0 it doesn't show any progress, it just spin, and then when booted it shows progress bar apple & animation

Its still a mistery how to show the apple since boot, and thats why i opened this topic.

RealMacs boot in two colors

grey with Apple logo and progress bar (oldermacs)

black with Apple logo and progress bar (newmacs)

It would be nice to find a way to actually choose between these, maybe with a bootloader dedicated option.

boot.efi checks the board-id and sets var "BlackMode" to 1 when it finds one of these:

Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F = MacBookPro10,1

Mac-AFD8A9D944EA4843 = MacBookPro10,2

Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF = MacBookAir6,1

Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5 = MacBookAir6,2

Mac-031B6874CF7F642A = iMac14,1

Mac-77EB7D7DAF985301 = iMac14,3

Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 = iMac14,2

Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC = MacBookPro11,1

Mac-3CBD00234E554E41 = MacBookPro11,2

Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663 = MacBookPro11,3

Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 = MacPro6,1

There's also this:

bootArgs->flags |= kBootArgsFlagBlack (EFI var 'BlackMode')
  • Like 2

Yes, you right pike, no need set Display-cfg ... in DVI, soon I'll try with HDMI port

Any idea how to get mine working as well? For as far as I know, the GTX 650 is already supported by default, so no need to be injected. But either way, I suppose I still needed to patch VBios and inject EDID. Which I did...but same result.

Not sure if I still need Display-cfg. I'm not using DVI. I'm still with D-sub since my monitor doesn't support DVI (it's an old 19" Samsung SyncMaster 943NW).

@Pike Yes, I mean the boot-display property - it's empty on real Macs aswell, so no need to fill the Buffer when setting it into DSDT. Also, I use iMac13,2 SMBIOS (Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4) and I get the black boot screen.

@pico I'm not quite sure if you want to inject and patch a hell lot of stuff instead of doing a DSDT edit.

@asradu No, it's not identical to a real Mac as the boot process shows no Apple logo.

@burkett Of course it matters that you have an ATI card and not an iGPU... should be quite, well, obvious.

@anyone The patch Slice suggested works fine. However you kind of expected that he told you everything, which isn't true and which is fine. Neither he told you that his patch only applies to iGPUs, nor that it only applies to the first connector. But that wasn't even his intention as you are supposed to realize that this was just an example. Of course you need to change the device name and of course you need to change the connector, that should be doable for anyone who wants to do DSDT edits (yes, that Clover config block basically is a on-the-fly DSDT edit).

@arsradu No, it's not identical to a real Mac as the boot process shows no Apple logo.

Hey, man. :)

I'm not sure I understood you. The boot process on a real Mac shows no Apple logo? Are you sure about that? Cause all the Macs I've seen booting up, are showing the logo. And pico's video also shows it. So...maybe it's not identical to a real Mac, but it's damn close to that. Mine doesn't show the Apple logo on Yosemite. And it doesn't show anything (just a black screen) when booting Mavericks.

And when you say a DSDT edit, what exactly are you suggesting to do? Could you, please, post a screenshot or something so we can all understand what are you referring to? Cause I don't consider myself a Mac savvy and I'm absolutely convinced that I've got a ton of stuff to learn, but I'm willing to do so if someone is willing to explain. :)

i'm trying the edid injection + patchVbios + inject Nvidia, but i'm still trying to figure out how to find a proper Display-cfg, any help?

@arsradu

Fritz said that we aren't booting with the apple logo, instead real macs do! :)

i'm trying the edid injection + patchVbios + inject Nvidia, but i'm still trying to figure out how to find a proper Display-cfg, any help?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298808-can-we-get-back-the-apple-logo-on-boot/?p=2036008

So try without it.

@arsradu

Fritz said that we aren't booting with the apple logo, instead real macs do! [ :)]

Well...that's the purpose of this thread, isn't it? :)) To get the logo on Hacks, as well. And pico did it by editing (maybe too much) stuff and he got that result. So..I'm not sure I understand. Anyway, if there is an easier way to accomplish the same result, please, do share. :) I don't really like complicated stuff either, but if there is no other way, I'm willing to do that too.

already tried, 

Black screen on both monitors 

even test both one by one.

the edid is injected properly and system boots with it, i get a black screen if i use injectnvidia.

@asradu The video pico posted did not show the apple at boot time.

@all Screen of my GFX0 block attached. Only care about the 4 "boot-display" properties. Place in right device (iGPU, GFX0, ...) and change the connectors if necessary (remove if you have less and add if you have more).

@arsradu The video pico posted did not show the apple at boot time.

@all Screen of my GFX0 block attached. Only care about the 4 "boot-display" properties. Place in right device (iGPU, GFX0, ...) and change the connectors if necessary (remove if you have less and add if you have more).

Ok....then where is it displayed? Cause I can see it there. If it's not at boot time, then when is it? :)

@arsradu Forgot to press "Attach this file" :D. The first part with the spinner is the boot part, the one with the apple and the bar is the initialization part. For me the initialization part also shows the logo, but not the boot part (neither it does for pico). Yes, on a real Mac the logo is rendered twice. By initialization time the OS is mostly booted and from then graphics, login screen and possibly user account are initialized/loaded.

• Like 1

@arsradu Forgot to press "Attach this file" :D. The first part with the spinner is the boot part, the one with the apple and the bar is the initialization part. For me the initialization part also shows the logo, but not the boot part (neither it does for pico). Yes, on a real Mac the logo is rendered twice. By initialization time the OS is mostly booted and from then graphics, login screen and possibly user account are initialized/loaded.

Now I got it. Thank you. So the logo should be displayed twice (in ideal conditions). Well, at this point I would be happy with at least one boot logo. :)) The one that pico got, for example. :) Cause right now I got no such thing.

Now I got it. Thank you. So the logo should be displayed twice (in ideal conditions). Well, at this point I would be happy with at least one boot logo. :)) The one that pico got, for example. :) Cause right now I got no such thing.

If you would check my signature you would see that we have the same GPU... guess what that means for you. :P

• Like 1

If you would check my signature you would see that we have the same GPU... guess what that means for you. :P

It means that...once someone figures out a way to make this work, I will be as happy as you are? :))

If you're referring to your screenshot...if that would have been in Klingonian, there would have been a better chance for me to understand what the hell does it say than it is right now.

My machine only has HD4000. In my case, there is no apple logo on the first part, when the progress bar less than half. Then when it reaches half bar, the screen goes totally black with few irregular white lines and mouse icon at the top left corner. So basically the apple logo somehow is not displayed or rendered properly, which makes the messy lines comes from. And as I know, many machines with hd4000 share this same problem.

Any inside explanation? Thx.

Finally .. get back the apple logo :) at my Nvidia

1. inject Edid & patch vbios

2. Custom Edid

3. add meter=0 (optional) ... thanks pike

this my video ...

This is not working for me, the animation is still a gray rectangular box... :/

@lisai (sorry)

it could be even a developer preview bug, and it's the same for the surface pro... :)

This is not working for me, the animation is still a gray rectangular box... :/

@lisa

it could be even a developer preview bug, and it's the same for the surface pro... :)

Actually it's lisai not Lisa. That's my Chinese name =]

Yeah I hope it can get fixed itself by the next update. I also tested on ATI machine without any apple logo problem.

Sorry for my English limitation, but it's all I can explain
1. I did not use DSDT, all patches by CLOVER
2. With a VGA port a logo does not appear, DVI ok, HDMI not tested
3. I do not know whether this effect because I use DisplayMergedNub.kext from Andy (ANV) to automatically overrides for Apple Displays

this is my boot.log & config.plist

boot-log&config.zip

and this my Display with FixEdid v.2.3.2 (AnV)

post-1113740-0-83495500-1404316925_thumb.jpg

using fixedid did not helped, still weird animation without any logo.

@downloadFritz

can you please specify better, or put a link, on how to properly patch dsdt with connectors fixes in text format please, thanks :) 

For me I get that logo only for a split second on the 'fade in' transition from boot to login/desktop, not sure why that pic posted has that 2nd loading bar for so long, mine is only shown for like 1/3rd a second if that. I did not need and patches as OSX allready had that property for me with no DSDT or clover fix. However still no 'boot' logo, nobody has a 'boot' logo shown yet. I did notice mine is not in GFX0 however and I did see it in Mavs too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d555is1zcanko6c/Screenshot%202014-07-02%2013.52.23.png

right now just someone managed to get the 2°logo with its animation, no one still ever got the 'boot' apple...

probably if you had the first working you could see the transition clearly.

I found this interesting post by @d3vi1 in a MacRumors thread trying to do the opposite thing: get Windows X64 to run in UEFI mode on Macs.  This might provide some clues to the differences between mac & pc hardware when booting in (u)efi mode...

Win7 x64 booting natively via EFI (no bios emulation)

Note - when trying to boot Windows 7 on macs in UEFI mode (not bootcamp mode where CSM is provided), you don't see the multicoloured Windows boot flag animation (kind of like some people are not seeing Apple's boot logo here :) ).

During boot "Apple offers only one GOP resolution, the LCD panel native resolution" whereas on PCs, you need "GOP with precisely 1024x768 or 800x600 for the wavy flag logo".

Is it no coincidence that @pico joe is using Clover's patch VBIOS + inject EDID + CsmVideo (driver64Uefi) fix to get native resolution for Clover's boot menu  ----> sees Apple's boot logo?

On both my legacy laptop (Dell XPSm1530/nVidia8600GT) and desktop (GAP55aUD3/ATI5770), I get my native panel resolution during boot to Clover's boot menu (legacy pathway) and I also see the Apple logo afterwards....

post-846696-0-34750300-1403339269_thumb.