Beginners guide to UEFI Triple/Dual boot OS X, Windows and Linux (Kali) on an single true-gpt ssd

155 posts in this topic

Hi, in my Samsung NP530U3B this tutorial partially worked. It helped me A LOT anyway.

The problem here was that I couldn't boot to another device after installing Windows. I had tone tee in Windows settings and look for advanced boot and select the device to start. It's just as if Windows became the owner of my BIOS, I can't press any button anymore during BIOS screen...

After selecting the USB, I can reach Clover's boot screen but Mac fails to boot. The same occurred when I selected the Clover installed on the HD. Maybe it is something related to my Phoenix BIOS.

So I could fix it by booting a live Linux and changing the files according to the tutorial, it worked flawlessly. :)

If all is installed correctly you can go to the clover boot loader, then there should be a option to add clover as a bios startup mode, im not sure how its called, anyway, by doing that you can select cloverx64.efi from the bios/uefi bios. Reply if it didnt fix so i can look it up for you

Thanks for the tip!

It was actually even easier than your guide.

On my second HDD, I had a "data" partition (HFS+) for Mac and some free space. In the Windows install, I had to follow the manual partition instructions from this thread (using diskpart to make the MSR and primary partition and dism to copy the Windows build). But the EFI was installed to this second HDD.

So I have:

SSD (disk1) GPT

EFI partition - Clover

Mac Primary partition (HFS+)

Mac recovery

HDD (disk2) GPT

EFI partition - Windows

Mac Data (HFS+)

Windows MSR

Windows Primary (NTFS)

And Clover automatically detected the Windows EFI. With a small tweak I fixed it so it was not labeled as "Internal EFI....", but "Windows 8.1".

Thanks for the guide!

Nice! You can Still Resize window its last partition and make a triple of it :D

Hi ctugt:

It worked perfectly well! Thank you very much.

Two more things: 

Is it possible to hide Boot UEFI Internal from EFI ?

In Seven, two of the three Kali partitions are seen, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Hi! Sorry for the late repsons, but yes this is normal you can hide it if you want there are some registery edits for that.

Here is a easy vid.

Hi:

I followed your excellent guide for a desktop.

Unfortunately Kali does not appear when I start the computer.

I send my config.plist.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ys75nhafd2ds543

Would you please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Is this fixed yet? otherwise send me youre latest config.plist

Create OS X Mavericks / Windows / Kali Linux installer usb's

OS X USB Installer

• Go to a real or virtual OS X. Run the app Diskmaker X to create an installer usb (it automaticly formats the usb to gpt with journaled partitions).

Windows-only users please use bdutility.exe and skip step #2 and #3. (I never tried those methods);

• Open terminal, use the command: diskutil list and look for the name OS X 10.9 Install Di.... in my case its /dev/disk1, take note of you're usb disk id;

attachicon.gif7gnk.png

• Install and run the Clover Configurator app and go to Extra --> Mount EFI --> select the usb disk from you're note in the previous step. You should now see the usb's EFI volume in the Finder app;
  • Copy the EFI folder located in my Acer_Aspire_ S3_391_OSX_EFI_Clover.zip  to the root of the usb installer EFI volume.
Hi ctugt,

Thanks for this guide.

I have the S3-391-6048. Been running Mavericks/W8 using Chameleon for a few months now. I want to switch to UEFI using your guide. But I have run into a few troubles and questions

1. I can't get the USB made with Diskmaker to be recognized by the S3's UEFI... I'm making the Mav USB using my current Chameleon install of Mavericks. Is this correct?

When I switch the bios to UEFI, with this USB, it just says "no bootable device". But the W8 USB will boot under UEFI.

2. Your Acer_Aspire_ S3_391_OSX_EFI_Clover.zip does not have an EFI folder as your guide indicates. So I assumed the root folder of that extracted file IS the EFI folder, is this a correct assumption?

3. Do I have to wipe my current Chameleon version of 10.9.2? (it is working really well, don't want to have to start over). Can I convert that to a clover bootloader using something like this http://www.skylineosx.com/installation/switching-from-chameleonchimera-to-clover/ I plan to reinstall my W8 (or W8.1) using an OEM disk to get the W8 partition back to stock...

4. My CPU is an i3-2367M sandybridge, so the best sys def for my S3 happens to be MacbookAir4,1 so I would like to modify the config.plist to reflect this, but I'm not sure if simply changing the string value these 2 keys? are there any other keys under SMBIOS that need to be changed?

ProductName

SerialNumber

Thanks in advance.

Progress...

Looks like I must have skipped a step using your guide.  I ended up making the Clover USB using this guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/125632-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html#post767827

Then I moved the kext files, config.plist (Prod Name and Serial changed to MacbookAir4,1) from your zip file, my own DSDT, SSDT to the EFI partition

Rebooted using UEFI (with success this time) and selected my existing Mavericks install, it booted right into my existing Mavericks install no problem...

I think I'm gonna just try to install Clover on my existing partition...

hopefully this will work...

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Can someone help shed a light on how to get past the W8.1 installation error "we couldn't create a new partition or locate..."

I don't have any other memory or USB drives installed except for the installation USB.

no matter what I do, the installation gets stuck with this error. I've even used a new drive started from scratch (i.e. partition, install Mav, apply clover, install W8.1) and result was the same.

I wonder if the 20gb msata SSD could be causing this problem?  But it seems like most of the S3-391's have the same msata SSD drive? I have an old install of ML on that SSD, shouldn't make a difference right?

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much. Wonderful guide. Got triple boot working. Had a question. I want to switch out my hard drive for an equal size ssd. Can I use Macrium Reflect free edition?

Will it clone the drive including all partitions (HFS+,EFI, NTFS, EXT4 etc.) to the new drive?

Thanks

Thanks so much. Wonderful guide. Got triple boot working. Had a question. I want to switch out my hard drive for an equal size ssd. Can I use Macrium Reflect free edition?

Will it clone the drive including all partitions (HFS+,EFI, NTFS, EXT4 etc.) to the new drive?

Thanks

Not sure if this will work proberly not, harddisk has a other interface no chip only blocks, you may try but if  it was for me i definly suggest to start over on the ssd. This also cause windows defrag is on, and a ssd shouldnt be defragged. Nahh just start over to be safe

Not sure if this will work proberly not, harddisk has a other interface no chip only blocks, you may try but if  it was for me i definly suggest to start over on the ssd. This also cause windows defrag is on, and a ssd shouldnt be defragged. Nahh just start over to be safe

Thanks-  was hoping to avoid it since I got everything working just the way I wanted it Will take your advice and start over.

Great guide by the way, just about got this all working on my Dell l702x...

Main issue I have had that has caused me to start over a few times is making any changes whatsoever to the partitions once you have everything installed and working seems to really screw things up... anyway on my third try now and looking good!

So I'd really like to do a backup...i see you mention macrium reflect just wondering if you could give a bit more info on that process...

I want to create an image of the whole disk first of all and then create a clone disk I can swap out which will hopefully just boot...

Is the free version OK for this and can I do it from Windows or do I need to do it from the Macrium recovery disk... In which case should I make the Windows PE disk or the Linux one?

Sorry if these are basic questions just this has taken me days to get right and I really want to make sure I make a backup that will actually work! ;)

Great guide by the way, just about got this all working on my Dell l702x...

Main issue I have had that has caused me to start over a few times is making any changes whatsoever to the partitions once you have everything installed and working seems to really screw things up... anyway on my third try now and looking good!

So I'd really like to do a backup...i see you mention macrium reflect just wondering if you could give a bit more info on that process...

I want to create an image of the whole disk first of all and then create a clone disk I can swap out which will hopefully just boot...

Is the free version OK for this and can I do it from Windows or do I need to do it from the Macrium recovery disk... In which case should I make the Windows PE disk or the Linux one?

Sorry if these are basic questions just this has taken me days to get right and I really want to make sure I make a backup that will actually work! ;)

Hi, free version is ok, boot from usb is better not in windows, windows PR you should use. Ill update the post later in a hour from now thnx reflect is defintly the wat xd for recover boot from dvd or USB and select the image done
  • Like 1

OK so I did a image using Reflect of my osx/win disk and it took forever (about 3 hrs)... I thought it best not to use 'Intelligent Sector Copy' since it seems even the slightest change to any partition or the GPT can mess everything- so maybe that slowed things down... do you know if it's possible to use 'intelligent Sector Copy' or will this ruin the backup?

OK so I did a image using Reflect of my osx/win disk and it took forever (about 3 hrs)... I thought it best not to use 'Intelligent Sector Copy' since it seems even the slightest change to any partition or the GPT can mess everything- so maybe that slowed things down... do you know if it's possible to use 'intelligent Sector Copy' or will this ruin the backup?

No need to change any settings, just rewind whatever you did and try again

I read on he thread that the 555m will never work because of Optimus, So now I'm wondering what laptop I could get that has a powerful graphics card that would work. I see the top of the range Mac Book Pro switches between Intel Iris Pro and the nvidia 750m so what method of switching does that use and are there any PC laptops that work the same way that I could buy?

hello, thx for your nice guide.

but i´ve got a problem with partition my 2 TB GPT hdd because more than 4 primär partition.

i need the Efi, OS X, Recovery, WIN 8, Recovery, Personal Data.

But behind the Win installation i don´t see all drives in windows, can´t repair windows and os x diskutility won´t work right.

got a running WIN 8 and OS X on an other hdd but don´t get it work with disk util or the windows one.

would gparted, from a Linux Live CD, do it right for OS X and Windows ?

help would be great

Edit:  did it, first 1 create one GPT partition on my Drive with disk utility. booted from gparted live and deleted the partition.

behind i created my other partition as wanted wirth geparted.

my prob right now is to create a WIN 8.1 bootable fat32 USB stick. i did it with WIN7 for now

It's the Samsung 540u3c. I was told ages ago that this guide would work with that laptop.

I proberly wont, you need youre own DSDT. i think this DSDT of yours is faulty, create a new one ;)

hi i have a problem to get clover to work.i have 2 hdd for each os(1 hdd with osx maverick and another one with windows 8) my problem is i can't boot without usb stick.btw my laptop is asus A55VD i5-3210M.

hi i have a problem to get clover to work.i have 2 hdd for each os(1 hdd with osx maverick and another one with windows 8) my problem is i can't boot without usb stick.btw my laptop is asus A55VD i5-3210M.

Did you install clover to the proper partition after installing osx?

Did you install clover to the proper partition after installing osx?

Well i install maverick using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]...but i tried to install clover to my usb n i get b1f:init6 error....so basicly i cant boot without usb,when go into bios i cant find my hdd and there is no dropdown selection for it either,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well i install maverick using #####...but i tried to install clover to my usb n i get b1f:init6 error....so basicly i cant boot without usb,when go into bios i cant find my hdd and there is no dropdown selection for it either,

Boot from usb, when seeyung the osx partition hut spacebar and add to ...... or something.... give it a try

Hi again ctugt, just thought I would drop my own guide here. It's based on some of the steps in this guide, but in greater detail. Thanks for the help on the way. Hopefully it may help someone in this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299324-cli-guide-for-uefi-gpt-dual-boot/

Great ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice guide! So, would that also work with Windows 7? Have a 64bit pro version and at least in theory it should also be EFI bootable.

Sorry for the late repsonding, but i dont think so cause win7 doenst support uefi

• 2 weeks later...

Fix Clover bootloader to dual boot OS X Mavericks / Windows 8.1 from ssd/hdd

i copy and rename the files but without entry in clover>gui no windows is shown.

if i enter the data's it just jump for 1 sec in a black screen then back to clover menu.

i just rename the windows boot file to "bootmgfww.efi" thats the only different from the guide.

and if i named it bootmgfw-orig.efi, there same problem. any ideas why i can't boot windows?

update: done - rename bootmgfww to bootmgfw-orig and enable fill name, thank's for help!