Beginners guide to UEFI Triple/Dual boot OS X, Windows and Linux (Kali) on an single true-gpt ssd

dual boot osx windows efi gpt uefi clover acer s3 triple boot linux

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:pc, hackintosh, servers, soccer, xbox360, work

Hi:

I followed your excellent guide for a desktop.

Unfortunately Kali does not appear when I start the computer.

I send my config.plist.

https://www.mediafir...ys75nhafd2ds543

Would you please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

try this file i uploaded for you http://www.filedropper.com/config_9 and post results

uzmi

uzmi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Hi ctugt:

It worked perfectly well! Thank you very much.

Two more things: 

Is it possible to hide Boot UEFI Internal from EFI ?

In Seven, two of the three Kali partitions are seen, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
I think the way to hide them in Seven is to give the drives no Drive Letter using a partition manager. This way Seven will not see them.

uzmi

uzmi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

I think the way to hide them in Seven is to give the drives no Drive Letter using a partition manager. This way Seven will not see them.

Perfect!!!

Thank you very much

Attached Files

Imothep77

Imothep77

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Hi frankiee, ctugt,

I'm sorry to dig out this old stuff, but I'm really interested in the 'total-noob' tutorial you're talking about here:

PS: doing a dual UEFI bootstick goes like this:

1) Partition as MBR, partition 1 is Win (FAT), partition 2 is OS X Install (HFS+). Also created a 3rd one for drivers and support files.

2) Create win installer on partition 1

3) Create OS X installer on partition 2

4) Install clover on partition 1

5) Add appropriate boot entries to the respective bootloader .efi files

So the basic trick is to use the first partition as EFI _and_ win8 install partition. If you try to do it via GPT, you can copy the win bootloaders to the EFI partition, but it looses the connection to the actual installation files then and complains. You should also be able to solve this by editing the BCD, but imho this way is just a bit simpler.

I'm trying to create a USB stick containing Mavericks, Win8 and Ubuntu installers (all to be installed on a standard-BIOS non-UEFI system) and would love to use Clover to choose which installer I actually want to launch - Clover will of course also be used to actually boot the different OSs after installation from my HDD.

I have formatted my 32GB USB as MBR with 4 x 8 GB partitions

As per your instructions:

• I copied Windows files into my first partition
  • typed; "sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Clover --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --no interaction" to copy my Mavericks Install.app in the 2nd partition that I had called Clover
  • copied the Ubuntu files into my 3rd partition
  • prepared a 4th partition for the basic software to be installed on the different OSes

I've actually been following this guide in parallel to yours to achieve my project - and obviously cannot find the EFI partition as my USB stick has MBR and not GPT

When I try to install Clover into the Win partition as per your above guide, I get an installation failure message...

I'm not familiar at all with boot in general.

Can someone help?

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I've actually been following this guide in parallel to yours to achieve my project - and obviously cannot find the EFI partition as my USB stick has MBR and not GPT

When I try to install Clover into the Win partition as per your above guide, I get an installation failure message...

I'm not familiar at all with boot in general.

Can someone help?

Here is my revised guide (based on BatcOuntrY's) for creating a dual Windows/OSX install USB with Clover -updated 2/13/14.  You can easily adapt this guide to also include a linux installer by adding an extra ext4 partition.  This guide is tailored for non UEFI machines and requires a 16GB or larger USB stick.

1. Open diskutility to partition your USB using the GUID scheme and 2 partition layout (in reality 3 partitions are created, including the hidden EFI partition)

Attached File  2 Partition GUID.png   122.35KB   3 downloads

2. Format the first partition as FAT32 named WIN, and the second partition as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) HFS+ named OSX.  Open terminal & type

diskutil list

to confirm your disk layout is as below

Attached File  Partition map.png   24.37KB   2 downloads

You can perform the FAT32 formatting manually in terminal by typing

sudo newfs_msdos -v WIN -F 32 /dev/rdisk1s2

3. Copy the entire contents of your Windows Install DVD or downloaded iso into the WIN partition of your USB following the manual directions in this guide (you can omit the disk formatting steps 1-7 as they are already done above).

At the end of the process, ensure you have a bootx64.efi file in the /EFI/boot folder (actually bootx64.efi is just the renamed microsoft efi bootloader bootmgrfw.efi).

Attached File  WIN partition.png   307.52KB   2 downloads

NB If your Windows install.wim is larger than 4GB, you will have to split the file using dism before you can transfer over to the FAT32 formatted WIN partition of your USB - procedure outlined here by nick@number11.

4. Install Clover into the EFI partition of the USB by targetting the OSX partition and using the following options in the installer.  Note from Clover wiki

boot0ss is "useful for dual-boot configurations with Windows where Windows needs to be on an active partition".

Attached File  Clover Install Options (Revised).png   149.89KB   3 downloads

5. Follow BatcOuntrY's guide steps 4 & 5 to configure Clover and create a bootable OSX installer in the OSX partition of the USB.

i) Configure Clover:  After mounting the EFI partition,  place the following files in the respective Clover folders

config.plist--->put into EFI/CLOVER folder

DSDT.aml--->put into EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

HFSPlus.efi--->put into EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 & EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

FakeSMC.kext--->put into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other with VoodooPS2Controller.kext & delete 10.6-10.9 folders*

* removing /EFI/kexts/<version> subfolders will result in injecting FakeSMC.kext from /EFI/kexts/Other for all OSX versions.

ii) Copy Mavericks installer into the "OSX" partition:  the correct syntax in terminal for step 5 would be

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/OSX --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --no interaction

since we have named our partition "OSX" instead of "Clover".  At the end of the createinstallmedia process, the partition name changes from "OSX" to "Install OS X Mavericks".

6. Boot your machine with the USB into the Clover Main Menu:

Attached File  Clover Main Menu.png   273.14KB   3 downloads

To install Mavericks (step 6 of BatcOuntrY's guide), select Boot OS X install from Install OS X Mavericks and hit the spacebar

then from the menu choose Boot Mac OS X with injected kexts and hit enter.

To install Windows, run BOOTX64.efi from the UEFI external menu as shown below

Attached File  Run BOOTX64.png   204.72KB   5 downloads

Imothep77

Imothep77

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Hi,

Followed the instructions above about the muti-boot USB installer.

I have managed to split my install.wim file into install.swm & install2.swm files and copied all of my Windows ISO to my WIN partition (FAT32)

Installed Clover with the above recommended parameters, I unchecked the "Install Clover in ESP" button.

Clover installation went successful, then I copied the FakeSMC.kext and HFSPlus.efi file into the folders as shown in post#1.

I also copied the fusion71au-provided config.plist into the Clover folder.

Wasn't able to extract the bootmgfw.efi from my install.wim file though (I'm running Win7 for now)

I tried to boot from my USB with only Clover & Windows installer but I get the following message:

blf: init

blf: error

The 32GB stick was the one I used to actually install Mavericks before thinking multiboot, which confirms my USB can boot, am I wrong?

compta5

compta5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Preperations for other systems then the Acer S3-391 (skip if you have the same notebook as post #2)

No, if you don't have the Acer S3-391 then don't use my specific system files, but instead, you need to have a working clover OS X installed and backup these files.

• Custom kernal extentions;
  • DSDT.aml;
  • /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist;
  • /EFI/CLOVER/driver64UEFI/ all *.efi files

Extract my uploaded Acer_Aspire_ S3_391_OSX_EFI_Clover.zip and replace neccersairly files with you're own working files.

1. Replace /EFI/CLOVER/ahci/patched/dsdt.aml with you're OWN;
  2. Replace /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with you're OWN;
  3. Remove kext from /EFI/CLOVER/kext/10.9 and put you're OWN kext here;
  4. Remove *.efi files from /EFI/CLOVER/driver64EFUI and put you're OWN *.efi files here;

After this is done, everytime i tell you to use my files from Acer_Aspire_ S3_391_OSX_EFI_Clover.zip, Use this extracted/modified folder you just made yourself.

I'm confused on this step. What if i dont have a existing working OSx with clover installed. what are my options?

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 120 posts

I'm confused on this step. What if i dont have a existing working OSx with clover installed. what are my options?

Well, you can try and do alot research but then again, only follow this guide if you have a working osx with clover. If you dont understand hackint0sh with clover this whole guide is useless to you.

compta5

compta5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

damn it. :( alright. i've never installed or used clover. 

cool_recep

cool_recep

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

COuld you please tell me why do I always boot into recover / repair ?

Partition layout:

k3iEuAq.png

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 120 posts

COuld you please tell me why do I always boot into recover / repair ?

Try do delete the bootx64.efi cause you proberly dont need it, then re-do my tutorial and replace the bootmgr.efi files again with originals, maybe they {censored}ed it up. Then last what you can try is restart the guide cause youre recovery partition is in the first section, should be efi, for as i know. Good luck!

mattsnowboard

mattsnowboard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Are there any differences in this guide if I install Mavericks like you said and then install Windows on a second hard drive?

I'm guessing it will still work the same but I don't know...

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 120 posts

Are there any differences in this guide if I install Mavericks like you said and then install Windows on a second hard drive?

I'm guessing it will still work the same but I don't know...

its almost the same but you need to set the correct UUID on the clover config.plist

mattsnowboard

mattsnowboard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

its almost the same but you need to set the correct UUID on the clover config.plist

Thanks for the tip!

It was actually even easier than your guide.

On my second HDD, I had a "data" partition (HFS+) for Mac and some free space. In the Windows install, I had to follow the manual partition instructions from this thread (using diskpart to make the MSR and primary partition and dism to copy the Windows build). But the EFI was installed to this second HDD.

So I have:

SSD (disk1) GPT

EFI partition - Clover

Mac Primary partition (HFS+)

Mac recovery

HDD (disk2) GPT

EFI partition - Windows

Mac Data (HFS+)

Windows MSR

Windows Primary (NTFS)

And Clover automatically detected the Windows EFI. With a small tweak I fixed it so it was not labeled as "Internal EFI....", but "Windows 8.1".

Thanks for the guide!

ctugt

ctugt

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 120 posts

Hi, in my Samsung NP530U3B this tutorial partially worked. It helped me A LOT anyway.
The problem here was that I couldn't boot to another device after installing Windows. I had tone tee in Windows settings and look for advanced boot and select the device to start. It's just as if Windows became the owner of my BIOS, I can't press any button anymore during BIOS screen...
After selecting the USB, I can reach Clover's boot screen but Mac fails to boot. The same occurred when I selected the Clover installed on the HD. Maybe it is something related to my Phoenix BIOS.
So I could fix it by booting a live Linux and changing the files according to the tutorial, it worked flawlessly. :)

If all is installed correctly you can go to the clover boot loader, then there should be a option to add clover as a bios startup mode, im not sure how its called, anyway, by doing that you can select cloverx64.efi from the bios/uefi bios. Reply if it didnt fix so i can look it up for you

Thanks for the tip!

It was actually even easier than your guide.

On my second HDD, I had a "data" partition (HFS+) for Mac and some free space. In the Windows install, I had to follow the manual partition instructions from this thread (using diskpart to make the MSR and primary partition and dism to copy the Windows build). But the EFI was installed to this second HDD.

So I have:

SSD (disk1) GPT

EFI partition - Clover

Mac Primary partition (HFS+)

Mac recovery

HDD (disk2) GPT

EFI partition - Windows

Mac Data (HFS+)

Windows MSR

Windows Primary (NTFS)

And Clover automatically detected the Windows EFI. With a small tweak I fixed it so it was not labeled as "Internal EFI....", but "Windows 8.1".

Thanks for the guide!

Nice! You can Still Resize window its last partition and make a triple of it :D

Hi ctugt:

It worked perfectly well! Thank you very much.

Two more things: 

Is it possible to hide Boot UEFI Internal from EFI ?

In Seven, two of the three Kali partitions are seen, is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Hi! Sorry for the late repsons, but yes this is normal you can hide it if you want there are some registery edits for that.

Here is a easy vid.

Hi:

I followed your excellent guide for a desktop.

Unfortunately Kali does not appear when I start the computer.

I send my config.plist.

https://www.mediafir...ys75nhafd2ds543

Would you please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Is this fixed yet? otherwise send me youre latest config.plist

stuck

stuck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

&amp;nbsp;
Create OS X Mavericks / Windows / Kali Linux installer usb's
&amp;nbsp;
&amp;nbsp;OS X USB Installer

• Go to a real or virtual OS X. Run the app Diskmaker X to create an installer usb (it automaticly formats the usb to gpt with journaled partitions).
    Windows-only users please use bdutility.exe and skip step #2 and #3. (I never tried those methods);
  • Open terminal, use the command: diskutil list and look for the name OS X 10.9 Install Di.... in my case its /dev/disk1, take note of you're usb disk id;
    attachicon.gif7gnk.png
  • Install and run the Clover Configurator app and go to Extra --&amp;gt; Mount EFI --&amp;gt; select the usb disk from you're note in the previous step. You should now see the usb's EFI volume in the Finder app;
  • Copy the EFI folder located in my Acer_Aspire_ S3_391_OSX_EFI_Clover.zip&amp;nbsp; to the root of the usb installer EFI volume.
Hi ctugt,
Thanks for this guide.
I have the S3-391-6048. Been running Mavericks/W8 using Chameleon for a few months now. I want to switch to UEFI using your guide. But I have run into a few troubles and questions

1. I can't get the USB made with Diskmaker to be recognized by the S3's UEFI... I'm making the Mav USB using my current Chameleon install of Mavericks. Is this correct?
When I switch the bios to UEFI, with this USB, it just says "no bootable device". But the W8 USB will boot under UEFI.

2. Your Acer_Aspire_ S3_391_OSX_EFI_Clover.zip does not have an EFI folder as your guide indicates. So I assumed the root folder of that extracted file IS the EFI folder, is this a correct assumption?

3. Do I have to wipe my current Chameleon version of 10.9.2? (it is working really well, don't want to have to start over). Can I convert that to a clover bootloader using something like this http://www.skylineos...mera-to-clover/ I plan to reinstall my W8 (or W8.1) using an OEM disk to get the W8 partition back to stock...

4. My CPU is an i3-2367M sandybridge, so the best sys def for my S3 happens to be MacbookAir4,1 so I would like to modify the config.plist to reflect this, but I'm not sure if simply changing the string value these 2 keys? are there any other keys under SMBIOS that need to be changed?
ProductName
SerialNumber

Thanks in advance.

stuck

stuck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Progress...

Looks like I must have skipped a step using your guide.  I ended up making the Clover USB using this guide here: http://www.tonymacx8...html#post767827

Then I moved the kext files, config.plist (Prod Name and Serial changed to MacbookAir4,1) from your zip file, my own DSDT, SSDT to the EFI partition

Rebooted using UEFI (with success this time) and selected my existing Mavericks install, it booted right into my existing Mavericks install no problem...

I think I'm gonna just try to install Clover on my existing partition...

hopefully this will work...

Keeping my fingers crossed.

stuck

stuck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Can someone help shed a light on how to get past the W8.1 installation error "we couldn't create a new partition or locate..."

I don't have any other memory or USB drives installed except for the installation USB.

no matter what I do, the installation gets stuck with this error. I've even used a new drive started from scratch (i.e. partition, install Mav, apply clover, install W8.1) and result was the same.

I wonder if the 20gb msata SSD could be causing this problem?  But it seems like most of the S3-391's have the same msata SSD drive? I have an old install of ML on that SSD, shouldn't make a difference right?

yoga2

yoga2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks so much. Wonderful guide. Got triple boot working. Had a question. I want to switch out my hard drive for an equal size ssd. Can I use Macrium Reflect free edition?

Will it clone the drive including all partitions (HFS+,EFI, NTFS, EXT4 etc.) to the new drive?

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dual boot, osx, windows, efi, gpt, uefi, clover, acer s3, triple boot, linux

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy