Beginners guide to UEFI Triple/Dual boot OS X, Windows and Linux (Kali) on an single true-gpt ssd

155 posts in this topic

OK, I tried your guide, but now the OS X installer hangs at "1 minute remaining". And it really hangs - no mouse movement anymore. Any ideas?

You need proper efi files, try lowmemfix or something, otherwise just try again idk, if you had clover working before, or have the acer s3 391 it should work.

You need proper efi files, try lowmemfix or something, otherwise just try again idk, if you had clover working before, or have the acer s3 391 it should work.

Actually seems the way I set up the Install Disc, now I am in stage 2

So all good now? Good luck :D

Unfortunately, no. OS X install went OK it seems, but problems with Win8. First of all, partitioning looks different than from your guide. Win seem to install a recovery partiion already, but much smaller than 5GB. And when I am trying to actually install, I get error code 0xC0000005

:(

can you please post the old partitioning way again? Your new GUI version absolutely does not work here.

OK Win7 gives exact the same error. Also, the dism /apply-image method seems not to work with Win7. Also, the Win7 UEFI Installer only boot with CSM enabled. Otherwise it stops at "Windows loading ..."

OK, I slowly start to pull my hair out. Every hair. Veeeeeerrrrry slowly, so that maximum pain is achieved. This is becoming a  nightmare. :(

About to give up with Clover, this seems way to complicated, who knows what problems are around the corner next ....

OK, little update:

• Finally had success installing Windows 8 (I have no 8.1 installer - maybe that's the reason I got this problems with partitioning)
  • If I use the revised "GUI only" guide - no dice. Depending on how I try, I either get the install error mentioned above, or windows complains that there is not enough space to create partitions. There also more partitions created that seen in your guide. And if I want to continue, Windows attempts to create even _more_ partitions - very strange.
  • But, what slemblod did - which is in essence based on this guide: http://www.osx86.net/topic/18571-guide-add-full-gpt-boot-win-8-to-your-hackintosh-the-easy-way/ - DID actually work. That was really my last try. But I didn't create a Recovery partition (yet), only MSR. Don't know if the 8.1 update creates one (it should) or if I must create it beforehand manually.
  • Errrm, well ... about updating: If I try to update to Win 8.1, now I get error 0x80240031. Ahhhh, Windows makes me wanna go mad :hysterical:
  • For windows 7 a similar (manual) install method should also work, but the install command is different! The "dism" command also exists, but you have to use the "imageX" command in this case. Should work in theory. (And maybe I try, bc I already hate Win8. Man that's even worse than Vista .... *shakes head*) On the other hand, not sure if the Windows 7 install would boot pure UEFI, at least the installer didn't.
  • I also managed to build a "Dual UEFI USB Boot Stick" with both Mac OS X install and windows 8 install, to be booted via clover. If anybody is interested how to do this I can post what I did (Did not see any guide about this, but figured it out with a little trick)
  • My Clover GUI settings are a bit different. Actually no need to rename / copy any .efi files or hide some Dummy clover entries. Just changed the paths accordingly and that also works. Also looks cleaner in the config. But your guide really helped me to understand this section better.
  • The former guide with full manual instructions would still be useful, as the GUI method does not seem to work with everybody.

Now, must try to get Windows 8.1 working .... or scale back to windows 7. At least I have pure DUAL UEFI boot now. And a working OS X recovery partition.

So in essence: this is a Hackintosh, so it was expected that OS X would give me more trouble than Windows. But apart from some DSDT problems, this is not true at all. Even on a hack OS X seems to run way smoother and less troublesome than Windows. Go figure.

So, at the third try Windows finally updated to 8.1 As I assumed, a recovery partition was also created in the process. So it was actually a good thing to NOT create it by hand from the very beginning, bc then I would actually end up with _two_ of them, like it happened to many other users.

So the final partition layout looks like this:

1) EFI - 200MB (used by both Windows and OS X)

2) OS X - 700GB

3) OS X Recovery - 690MB

4) Windows MSR - 128 MB

5) Windows 8.1 - 280GB

6) Windows 8.1 recovery - 350MB

So, at the third try Windows finally updated to 8.1 As I assumed, a recovery partition was also created in the process. So it was actually a good thing to NOT create it by hand from the very beginning, bc then I would actually end up with _two_ of them, like it happened to many other users.

So the final partition layout looks like this:

1) EFI - 200MB (used by both Windows and OS X)

2) OS X - 700GB

3) OS X Recovery - 690MB

4) Windows MSR - 128 MB

5) Windows 8.1 - 280GB

6) Windows 8.1 recovery - 350MB

strange i will defintly take a look at this, i hear people talking about hybrid disks. maybe that why i didnt got the recoveru partition on itself. I never had one created automaticle only if i start with a clean disk without osx i get the recovery

OK, little update:

• Finally had success installing Windows 8 (I have no 8.1 installer - maybe that's the reason I got this problems with partitioning)
  • If I use the revised "GUI only" guide - no dice. Depending on how I try, I either get the install error mentioned above, or windows complains that there is not enough space to create partitions. There also more partitions created that seen in your guide. And if I want to continue, Windows attempts to create even _more_ partitions - very strange.
  • But, what slemblod did - which is in essence based on this guide: http://www.osx86.net/topic/18571-guide-add-full-gpt-boot-win-8-to-your-hackintosh-the-easy-way/ - DID actually work. That was really my last try. But I didn't create a Recovery partition (yet), only MSR. Don't know if the 8.1 update creates one (it should) or if I must create it beforehand manually.
  • Errrm, well ... about updating: If I try to update to Win 8.1, now I get error 0x80240031. Ahhhh, Windows makes me wanna go mad :hysterical:
  • For windows 7 a similar (manual) install method should also work, but the install command is different! The "dism" command also exists, but you have to use the "imageX" command in this case. Should work in theory. (And maybe I try, bc I already hate Win8. Man that's even worse than Vista .... *shakes head*) On the other hand, not sure if the Windows 7 install would boot pure UEFI, at least the installer didn't.
  • I also managed to build a "Dual UEFI USB Boot Stick" with both Mac OS X install and windows 8 install, to be booted via clover. If anybody is interested how to do this I can post what I did (Did not see any guide about this, but figured it out with a little trick)
  • My Clover GUI settings are a bit different. Actually no need to rename / copy any .efi files or hide some Dummy clover entries. Just changed the paths accordingly and that also works. Also looks cleaner in the config. But your guide really helped me to understand this section better.
  • The former guide with full manual instructions would still be useful, as the GUI method does not seem to work with everybody.

Now, must try to get Windows 8.1 working .... or scale back to windows 7. At least I have pure DUAL UEFI boot now. And a working OS X recovery partition.

So in essence: this is a Hackintosh, so it was expected that OS X would give me more trouble than Windows. But apart from some DSDT problems, this is not true at all. Even on a hack OS X seems to run way smoother and less troublesome than Windows. Go figure.

so u used al my efi files? onwith laptop so i can add it in op

strange i will defintly take a look at this, i hear people talking about hybrid disks. maybe that why i didnt got the recoveru partition on itself. I never had one created automaticle only if i start with a clean disk without osx i get the recovery

I actually checked the partitioning and it was like it should be, ie GPT with protected MBR. One thing that really was different was all these additional partitions my installer created, compared to your screenshots. I assume this is due to the older Win version, but not sure. Think the partitioning looks good, and I am also able to access the win8 recovery partition, but only when already booted. (With SHIFT-restart). But also a lot of other regular Win users seem to have problems here, as the keyboard shortcuts used earlier (eg Shift F8, F9, F10) do not seem to work anymore. Just another MS stupidity I guess ...

What I didn't achieve (yet) is to add a clover entry to get into the recovery from the boot menu. Still evaluating this. Think I need to get at the actual path of the recovery bootloader efi file.

so u used al my efi files? onwith laptop so i can add it in op

No, I did setup Clover from scratch, since I also needed a custom DSDT. But setting up clover was not the problem (done before) - setting up win was.

I actually checked the partitioning and it was like it should be, ie GPT with protected MBR. One thing that really was different was all these additional partitions my installer created, compared to your screenshots. I assume this is due to the older Win version, but not sure. Think the partitioning looks good, and I am also able to access the win8 recovery partition, but only when already booted. (With SHIFT-restart). But also a lot of other regular Win users seem to have problems here, as the keyboard shortcuts used earlier (eg Shift F8, F9, F10) do not seem to work anymore. Just another MS stupidity I guess ...

What I didn't achieve (yet) is to add a clover entry to get into the recovery from the boot menu. Still evaluating this. Think I need to get at the actual path of the recovery bootloader efi file.

No, I did setup Clover from scratch, since I also needed a custom DSDT. But setting up clover was not the problem (done before) - setting up win was.

Il update the guide soon, i have that entrie for you somewhere. I managed it before, you need to use the UUID and the path of the rs or something tools. How can we verify we have a gpt with protected mbr? thats my point i need to do some researh about that

PS: doing a dual UEFI bootstick goes like this:

1) Partition as MBR, partition 1 is Win (FAT), partition 2 is OS X Install (HFS+). Also created a 3rd one for drivers and support files.

2) Create win installer on partition 1

3) Create OS X installer on partition 2

4) Install clover on partition 1

5) Add appropriate boot entries to the respective bootloader .efi files

So the basic trick is to use the first partition as EFI _and_ win8 install partition. If you try to do it via GPT, you can copy the win bootloaders to the EFI partition, but it looses the connection to the actual installation files then and complains. You should also be able to solve this by editing the BCD, but imho this way is just a bit simpler.

PS: doing a dual UEFI bootstick goes like this:

1) Partition as MBR, partition 1 is Win (FAT), partition 2 is OS X Install (HFS+). Also created a 3rd one for drivers and support files.

2) Create win installer on partition 1

3) Create OS X installer on partition 2

4) Install clover on partition 1

5) Add appropriate boot entries to the respective bootloader .efi files

So the basic trick is to use the first partition as EFI _and_ win8 install partition. If you try to do it via GPT, you can copy the win bootloaders to the EFI partition, but it looses the connection to the actual installation files then and complains. You should also be able to solve this by editing the BCD, but imho this way is just a bit simpler.

I already was planning to add a guide to even triple boot usb intaller, thanks ;)

Il update the guide soon, i have that entrie for you somewhere. I managed it before, you need to use the UUID and the path of the rs or something tools.

That'll be nice!

How can we verify we have a gpt with protected mbr? thats my point i need to do some researh about that

You can verify it using gdisk. Also look here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/walkthrough.html

I already was planning to add a guide to even triple boot usb intaller, thanks ;)

That should also work. Maybe even a GPT stick would work, if you could point to the actual windows bootloader somehow. Does not seem to be needed to reside in the EFI partition. For example with my final install, in my menu entry I point directly to Apple's boot.efi, which resides on another partition. Seems to work.

And to top the madness, one also could write a guide how to install _additional_ EFI apps, like memtest. I can help with that bc I know how to do it now ;) Maybe I should write such a guide? Actually seems to be quite easy.

That'll be nice!

You can verify it using gdisk. Also look here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/walkthrough.html

That should also work. Maybe even a GPT stick would work, if you could point to the actual windows bootloader somehow. Does not seem to be needed to reside in the EFI partition. For example with my final install, in my menu entry I point directly to Apple's boot.efi, which resides on another partition. Seems to work.

And to top the madness, one also could write a guide how to install _additional_ EFI apps, like memtest. I can help with that bc I know how to do it now ;) Maybe I should write such a guide? Actually seems to be quite easy.

WOuld be great f you can make this triple boot usb installer, make it easy and noob friendly thats what im tying with my hole guide then i will add it and give you the thanks in OP

I just noticed that booting Windows from Clover works without any hassles, at least for me.

The boot menu "Microsoft EFI boot menu" boots to Windows 8.1 without any replacement of bootmgfw.efi.

or you can point directly to that file using the GUI config section. In fact replacing is not needed. You just need to replace /efi/boot/bootx64.efi with the original clover one if you install windows after OS X

Did I already say that I just hate Windows? Now, after Installing  the 8.1 update, it seems to have messed with something in the bootloader.

Now, win 8.1 Boot manager INSISTS on starting up each and every time. Even if I disable it in the BIOS, it somehow comes back!

Damnit so know what is that? Any idea how to fix this? And this might be the reason you needed to rename that entry! But it must work otherwise, did before.

Edit: yeah it seems that the Win 8.1 install has overwritten my bootsector. Also it placed a file named BOOTSECT.BAK in my EFI partition. But as I read this is not the backup of the sector they replaced, but the backup of what they did with it. *slaponhead*

So how to restore my original bootsector?

EDIT: OK a CMOS reset cleared things up. Seems to work again now, also survived a win 8 restart without doing this again. Thankfully back into clover now. Who knows with what this update messed around ...

Well, don't know much about Linux install / bootloaders, but at least how to do it with OSX and win. Maybe you can add the Linux part then?

yes thats cool ill do the grub part

Thank you! I have got it working now. I did it a bit differently, though. These were my steps:

Create a Windows install USB.
Boot your hackintosh in UEFI mode.
When you get to the prompt for a serial key, press ⇧F10.
Enter the following commands, where "disk 0" is the disk you will be partitioning for both OS X and Windows:
diskpart
list disk
sel disk 0
clean      [CAUTION - this will erase all data on the disk]
create part efi size=200
create part prim size=39000
create part msr size=128
create part prim size=29000
create part prim
list part  [for verification]
sel part 2
format fs=exfat quick label="OS X"
sel part 4
format fs=ntfs quick label=Windows
sel part 5
format fs=exfat quick label=Shared
exit
exit
Reboot and insert your OS X install USB.
Open Disk Utility.
Select the OS X partition.
Erase it as Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled).
Install OS X.
Boot OS X using Clover on the USB.
After the initial setup, open Terminal and enter the following commands, where ®disk0 is the disk you partitioned earlier:
sudo -s
[your password]
newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1
mkdir /Volumes/ESP
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP
Install Clover to the ESP. You can just copy the contents of the USB's EFI partition.
Reboot and insert your Windows install USB. When you get to the prompt for a serial key, press ⇧F10 and enter the following commands:
dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /applydir:D:\
Where C: is the mount point for your USB and D: is your target NTFS partition for installing Windows
D:
bcdboot D:\Windows /l en-us /s S:
Where S: is the mount point for your EFI partition.
exit

Now my Gigabyte UEFI has 2 boot options that show up when pressing F12 during boot:

UEFI OS 1 [This is Clover UEFI bootloader]

Windows Boot Manager

Once again, thank you!

i see you created a recovery partition, but is it working? cause i dont see a code to acivate it or something... or does dism do it? can you test and verify that clean my pc works?

I just noticed that booting Windows from Clover works without any hassles, at least for me.

The boot menu "Microsoft EFI boot menu" boots to Windows 8.1 without any replacement of bootmgfw.efi.

Ik Know but this is the way to change the name, i mean microsoft efi boot menu.. lol i just made it Windows 8.1 Pro

Unfortunately, no. OS X install went OK it seems, but problems with Win8. First of all, partitioning looks different than from your guide. Win seem to install a recovery partiion already, but much smaller than 5GB. And when I am trying to actually install, I get error code 0xC0000005

:(

can you please post the old partitioning way again? Your new GUI version absolutely does not work here.

It has nothing to do with the guide, 0xc00000005 is memory mosty of the time, instead ow lowmemfix use osxfatbinary64

LOL, for windows? check ram with memtest first

Edited by ctugt

LOL, for windows? check ram with memtest first

No that does not _need_ to have something to do with RAM. And the manual route actually worked.

About memtest: check this out: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294391-how-to-add-additional-uefi-apps-to-the-clover-menu/

So my RAM is tested OK ;)

That'll be nice!

which exact command should i use

i see you created a recovery partition, but is it working? cause i dont see a code to acivate it or something... or does dism do it? can you test and verify that clean my pc works?

I have had success with all steps of clean my pc except the actual restore, as I do not want to clean my pc ;)

Hi guys,

I am a newbie to Hackintosh and I would have to use it at school to show my assignments to my lecturer that only knows how to use Mac...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE

I followed the steps from the site above since I am using the same laptop (Only the wifi and bluetooth cards are different) and I am able to run mavericks from the guide from it as well.

But now my problem is that I have to boot to mavericks with my osx usb installer and I did what from the site above or the way in this guide to boot in mavericks without usb by installing clover but too bad it got hung after the apple logo screen with a "no entry" logo...I am sure I did exactly everything from the site above and also from this guide but still no luck to boot with usb...

Hope to get some good news from you guys here...