Pandora's Box (Beta 2 Testing)

Marchrius

351 posts in this topic

Pandora's Box

(Beta 2 testing)

From the Beta 1 have changed many things. There is a preferences window where you can choose the options related to the application or to the script, a more complex management of the Script actions.

Application side changes

main_app.jpg

The App has the new Info Window, Help section, Preferences Window and the menu is localized in 9 language. We have implemented the Sparkle Framework to auto update the App at the latest version.

Help Window

help.jpg
For the off-line help we have implemented a solution that can help you to choose the correct options for the customizations.

Preferences Window

pref_updates.jpgpref_script.jpg

In the first tab there are the options for the Updates side. You can choose:

• Automatically check for updates - The App check automatically for updates with an interval chosen in the select-box above
  • Download automatically updates
  • Send system profile informations - This send us your App usage. At moment we not receive the infos and you can check or not check. It's not different.

In the second tab there are the options for the Script side. Here you can choose:

• Media - The support where the script create the image.
  • OS X Version - The version of the system to be restored on the media chosen above.
  • Configuration - Here you can choose the configuration of the system. (If you have an i3-5-7 choose an option with NullCPUPowerManagement)
  • Resolution - Resolution for boot loader and, if you boot with -x option and your video card is not supported by the system, is the main resolution in OS while running.
  • Mac Model - The model that match with your computer.
  • Create RecoveryHD - This option create the RecoveryHD with the BaseSystem of you DMG

All the select-box have an empty option at first place, select it to choose in the script execution the option. The "Create RecoveryHD" must have a "-". The preferences is stored separately for each user. If you change computer (or if you use the App for the first time) you must re-select the options.

Credits for the App style & functions:

INPopoverController: https://github...dragiek

FlipView: http://mac...nGOivl09c

FlipWindow: http://mac...nGdCvl09c

Sparkle: http://sparkl...chak.org/

RoundWindow: http://www.co...-x.html

Download:

Pandora's Box v1.30 (Beta 2)

• Like 16

New Pandora Beta 2 v1.34 (04 Aug 2013)

Available in the Download Section, and via Software Update

Topic not yet updated....

note this is a test version available here only, and when I received some feedback, if positive, will be available as Update and  also in the "Download Section"

Hello to all,

many Pandora's bugs encountered in this Beta testing, come from a defective use of Terminal.app settings . However, this has helped to strengthen and modify Pandora, and I hope it's OK now!

What is required now, and to remedy the settings that are definitely not correct caused by previous Pandora Beta 2  (Really excuse for this!), in a Terminal configuration file called com.apple.Terminal.plist, located in:

~/System/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist

This is not a System file, and contains only user's Terminal settings (different for each user account if you have made ​​changes from the default, acting in the preferences of the Terminal).

This time there is a new method to import the new Thema, specifically for Pandora:

- The first time you launches Pandora to create an Installer (yellow icon), Pandora realize that the thema requested is not present, and will be asked if you want to install it:

Missing Theme.png

as already mentioned, if you accepted, the com.Terminal.plist will be delete, then the Pandora's thema will be copied in the dedicated place, and the system will restart automatically.  At next log-in to OSx this will be the result:

Terminal Setting.png

RESTORED TO DEFAULT window "Basic" + Pandora theme suitable now for Pandora.app

a backup of the old configuration will be done on your Desktop in a folder called Term_Setting_Backup.

Term_Setting_Backup.png

If you have not made ​​any changes, or yes, the settings will now be the same as those of a clean installation.

(This theme can always be used by you, if you like it, setting it as the default in the Terminal Preferences)

OK, now Pandora is ready, and you can press rounded yellow icon, and Pandora will put you in front of 3 difference choices, for 3 different modes of use, to create your USB/DVD media installation:

choice.png

- Mode 1) the kernel cache is rebuilded in a standard position for USB media (/System/Library/Caches/.. etc, as was the case for Pandora Beta 1

- Mode 2) the cache is rebuilt in /Extra/Extensions.mkext for USB, and in  into Extra/Preboot.dmg for DVD media.
In addition to the kext that you have been chosen in the Preferences panel:

Preferences1.png 
                           freccia_in_basso_piccola.png
Preferences2.png

...a GenericUSBXHCI.kext is added for booting with working USB 3.0 ports!

Note: the kexts we're talking about (you have chosen from the Preferences panel of Pandora + GenericUSBXHCI.kext), will not be copied to the final installation disk, so during installation, all you needed kexts still be selected again from the "InsanelyMac Options" of the Pandora System.

- Mode 3) Same behavior as Mode 2, but here Pandora erases all video kexts:
this might be useful where there are graphics problems while starting OSx like with black screen, forcing OSx to use  the standard VESA driver. There will be no graphic acceleration, but it's really easy to get OSX GUI (Installer screen) to proceed with normal installation....

Mode 3 Recommended for those who are not expert: graphics can be arranged later.

WARNING

In the picture below, you can see that Mode 2 and Mode 3, use Extra/Extensions.mkext to start the OSx Installer:

Extensions.mkext.png

when you start installer and the installation has been near to be completed, Extensions.mkext will be deleted automatically and after rebuilt again, but only with the kexts that have been chosen among the "InsanelyMac Options", and present at that time in /System/Library/Extensions/

remember to select, during installation, all the kexts or patches you need,  or even to eliminate again, for example, the video kexts.

How you can help us to understand when there are problems:

Pandora now also produces a log when creating DVD or USB Installer media:

log folder.png   LOGF2.png

Logs generate running Pandora Installer Maker (>= v1.33B) now containing stdout, stdin, stderr:

Each log contains everything, including errors when they happen. Everything is inside the folder created on your Desktop as in the pictures above:

Now users are requested to zip the log folder, and post it when comes problems (or successes) in this Topic!

...during OSx installation and post-installation..

As in previous versions, html log is created in the root of the disk at the end of OSX installation and all the details are available here: very important for us!

As you can see from the picture:

root.png

you can see the backup folders, one called "Pandora Backup from Installer" containing the modified kexts during OSx installation, another called simply "Pandora Backup" that contains the backed up kexts that are changed during the  post-installation sessions: for each session a sub folder (with date and time) is created, so you always know what has been done chronologically.

So another HTML log is created on your desktop at the end of post-installation session:

Post log.png

At the end of Pandora Installer Maker process:

If all goes well you can see this on your browser:

All done!.png

BIG Thanks for some private testing done by these colleagues:

Fabio1971
carbo178

and oldnapalm for some tips on rebuilding the cache, even if it was made in a slightly different manner by me.

Micky
  • Like 4

hey guys i am a youtuber and i make videos about hackintosh so if you guys give me a detailed video script on what to say and what to talk about with this program i will make a video for it mattyschannel666 at youtube 

• Like 2

Found 2 issues so far.

When I run the create installer and enter my password, I am asked again to enter my password - when I do this an error flashes up about a missing command called "Strings" - I have installed the command line utils from xcode but this doesn't seem to work. I get the following error

strings: error: unable to find utility "strings", not a developer tool or in PATH

Myabe it's because I am running pandora on a mavericks install?

Also, I get the following error/warning after dragging my usb drive icon to the installer :

Please drag&drop the destination volume's icon device into this window.

/Volumes/Untitled 

------------------------------------------------------------------

15297496 KB freespace on /Volumes/Untitled

Less than 5,15GB free space left, aborting.

I'm gonna try this tomorrow again.

Glad that Help is integrated and that it explains the difference between Retail and the Pandora System (in beta1 it was vague, I thought it was a live CD!); it also explains why I never quite got to selecting what kind of a system I wanted.

Found 2 issues so far.

When I run the create installer and enter my password, I am asked again to enter my password - when I do this an error flashes up about a missing command called "Strings" - I have installed the command line utils from xcode but this doesn't seem to work. I get the following error

strings: error: unable to find utility "strings", not a developer tool or in PATH

Myabe it's because I am running pandora on a mavericks install?

Also, I get the following error/warning after dragging my usb drive icon to the installer :

Please drag&drop the destination volume's icon device into this window.

/Volumes/Untitled 

15297496 KB freespace on /Volumes/Untitled

Less than 5,15GB free space left, aborting.

An hour ago I tested in Snow Leopard, Lion, ML and Mavericks..

but ....thanks for the feedback, it is what we need to improve:

Pandora is able to update itself, as they become available updates see if the problem is solved for you.

Micky

hi...

is the build process the same of pandora's 1?

will be released a new tutorial?

thanks

c.frio

Similar, but now Pandora has a Preferences panel, which you can reach from the top bar:

post-452173-0-36877400-1371036505.png

If you do not select any option, Pandora will work as before (so no need for another Tutorial). If you add your options, however, will not be asked during the process!

You can see properly the integrated HELP?

Micky

Mike listen me..have KP ..mhmm maybe i need a NullCpu , but i dont see Fakesmc

Where?..into new Volume Pandora Installer or DVD Installer?

Micky

installer usb..look a KP...maybe i need a create new folder (extension ) and put in here Null a Fakesmc..or not?

post-410253-0-71673100-1371765678_thumb.png

post-410253-0-11916800-1371765753_thumb.jpg

Mike listen me..have KP ..mhmm maybe i need a NullCpu , but i dont see Fakesmc

installer usb..look a KP...maybe i need a create new folder (extension ) and put in here Null a Fakesmc..or not?

Magnifico, no FakeSMC problem....you need a option with "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" (only for the USB key):

NullCPU.png

After, during installation, you can patch on the fly the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

EDIT

No need for Extra/Extensions folder on Lion, ML or Mavericks, however  the KernelPatcher.dylib (into Extra/modules/), enables the use of it.

Micky

Magnifico, no FakeSMC problem....you need a option with "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" (only for the USB key):

attachicon.gifNullCPU.png

After, during installation, you can patch on the fly the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Micky

I dont see this in my procedure installation ( USB )

But i have put Folder extension in Extra and now work

PS: But where is this option in installer usb ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok Miscel , restore again..now i see this option....and tell you..but i thing after all work perfect...

Dont you forget about me ..lol

post-410253-0-60419100-1371766746_thumb.png

post-410253-0-25797000-1371766771_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

See my previous post:

No need for Extra/Extensions folder on Lion, ML or Mavericks, however  the KernelPatcher.dylib (into Extra/modules/), enables the use of it.

...but really not needed  if you select an option with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext before :)

The problem is that so you will need to remove it at the end of installation manually, otherwise the Speed ​​Step does not work (also the Sleep). Instead, as I told you I (and you  selecti AICPM patch during installation) no problem!

Micky

Downloading  now and  tomorrow I make a Installer, Thanks Micky,Marchius,Ermac and all staff  :thumbsup_anim:

Welcome P Beta2 :P

Thanks iFIRE, if I'm not mistaken, you were my first tester, and a big help: regola_numero_1.jpg

How do I tell you where the app crashes?

Tried running on both of my machines to creat an installer USB.

It fails to create the install USB.

This happens right after the restore of the base system and before it copies the additional applications / packages.

I am unable to show you exactly at what script step it crashes.

Okay, I am starting to test now (may be a while until I use the installer as I need to finish my build!). 

One thing to note though - and it may be purely my USB drive which is a USB SSD thumb drive of 16GB - is that despite the fact that I wiped the drive the script kept telling me there was not enough room on the disk. Disk Utility however was telling me that the drive was completely clear.

I tried various partition schemes and continued to get the same message.

Only then when I partitioned down to 2 partitions ( 8GB each) did the script recognise that there was enough room and continued to make the installer.

As I say possibly a issue at my end, but I thought I would report it just in case there is bug to look into.

Will report back as things progress.....

Pandora is in Application folder?

And the Install app were is stored?

Micky

Initially I used Pandora direct from the downloads folder.

Then after seeing this I wiped my thumb drive again and repeated after dragging Pandora into the Applications folder.

Both times same result - It would not recognise I had enough space on the USB drive until I formatted to 2 partitions - then went like a dream.

I am working with Mavericks, the official DP1 installer, which was installed by the App Store into my Applications folder of my MacBook Air. The MBA itself is running 10.7.5.