[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

* * * * * 2 votes Dell 7720 17r SE Mountain Lion OSX86 Installation Retail Guide

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

derchrisffm

derchrisffm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi and first of all, thanks a lot for your guide!

I got everything working fine, even the stock touchpad and keyboard - BUT, every start I get the "No keyboard found"-message although its working. Okay, not too bad, I just could disable that. But what is really annoying is, that the key ("greater than") next to the shift key is not working, thus making it impossible to code in obj-c ;) can you help? 

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:Software Engineering.

Hi, 

Do you have an AZERTY keyboard? If so, is it French or Belgian? (Seems to be a difference between them also)

derchrisffm

derchrisffm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi, it's a german QWERTZ and the only problem is the stock keyboard.

If I use a Logitech K200 via a Display Link "Dockingstation (USB3.0)" it's working fine... but as you know, it's not that smart to travel with a laptop and an extra keyboard ;)

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

Hi,

Just looked at the mapping, the key is at the same location as with Belgian AZERTY. The Logitech K200 is also QWERTZ? 

Only thing i can think of, is that is has something to do with the appleps2controller, you could try the voodoops2controller, be sure to have a usb mouse/keyboard present when trying this. (These 2 kexts are responsible for the internal keyboard/touchpad devices)

Had the same problem on an Belgian laptop, could not test further, since the laptop had to go in to repair, can't find the problem on any fora also, so the above would be my best guess. 

derchrisffm

derchrisffm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

thanks! I already installed voodoo, but I don't think I did it properly... is there any option how I can find out if I installed too much / wrong kexts? And disable them?

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

Sure, 

Open terminal and type: kextstat

In the terminal window open search, and search for Voodoops2, and/or appleps2

If you find both, or only the appleps2controller, navigate in finder to /System/Library/Extensions

Look for Voodoops2controller.kext, if it is there, delete the applps2controller.

Now reboot, using the following flags: -v -f

Voodoo should be loaded now. If not, you will need the external keyboard and mouse to remove the kext, and reinstall the Appleps2controller. 

Also remember to use an application like Kext Wizard, to install the kexts. 

derchrisffm

derchrisffm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Here's what I found by searching "ps2":

com.apple.AppleACPIPS2Nub (1.6.1)

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Controller (2.0.0)

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Keyboard (2.0.0)

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad (2.0.0)

org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.8.5)

I'll try removing now ApplePS2Controller - is it everything I have to remove? - and hope you'll hear back from me pretty soon ;)

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

Should be all. 

I do not know if Voodoo uses AppleACPIPS2Nub, should be integrated in to the kext, so if it is in the Extensions folder, you could also remove that if any errors occur after removing the appleps2controller.

derchrisffm

derchrisffm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Jepp it did - duplicate class name.. Now I can't get it to boot.. Will reboot in single user and try deleting acpips2nub

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

shutdown -r now

derchrisffm

derchrisffm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes,Sir - that worked! Thank you so much!

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

Does the <> key work now? Saves me some time when the laptop comes out of repair :)

derchrisffm

derchrisffm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah it works :) I'll try different keys later but if you don't hear back they're all working :)

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

Great, thanks for the feedback :) If you find a working ApplePS2Controller, please share it if you like. 

FelipeZ

FelipeZ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Two things about your tutorial Lejenk, i've read you did not managed to get FN keys working for brightness... I also have a dell running ivy bridge HM77 and it works for me, so, maybe u can make it work for you the same way, you can use the patch i attached in yout DSDT (it is for Ivy bridge notebooks in general) to get FN keys working, then, use the GenericBright.kext and do another patch to the DSDT will make FN for brightness work:

http://www.insanelym...brightnesskext/

(I use the first method)

I also use RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller maybe it has something to do with the key mapping...

About the sleep, you can not wake, it is a well known issue on UEFI mode of clover, we need a UEFI video bios to solve it, I manage to get wake working by just changing to legacy boot... I wanted to use UEFI but it is better legacy with working sleep...

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

Hi FelipeZ,

I was looking for a more native solution for the brightness keys, but i think i'll try the kext for now, hopefully it works without the voodoops2controller.

I'll try the legacy boot this evening, somehow i have never gotten legacy boot mode to work with Clover, so have to look in to that.

Thanks for the info. 

FelipeZ

FelipeZ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Hi FelipeZ,

I was looking for a more native solution for the brightness keys, but i think i'll try the kext for now, hopefully it works without the voodoops2controller.

I'll try the legacy boot this evening, somehow i have never gotten legacy boot mode to work with Clover, so have to look in to that.

Thanks for the info. 

That's strange, to make it work I just installed clover In the MBR of another hard drive and replaced the CLOVER folder with the one I use for UEFI boot, never had to patch anything...

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

There is the problem, i'm using GPT, will test it using a USB device.

FelipeZ

FelipeZ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

There is the problem, i'm using GPT, will test it using a USB device.

Yeah, make sure to check:

image.png

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,643 posts

Tried both solutions. 

The display will not wake up, not even in legacy mode, was worth a try.

About the function keys, it's just the brightness keys that do not work. I tried your solution, but it makes no difference. Also, the voodoops2controller breaks the touchpad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell, 7720, 17r SE, Mountain, Lion, OSX86, Installation, Retail, Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy