[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

* * * * * 2 votes Dell 7720 17r SE Mountain Lion OSX86 Installation Retail Guide

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
Indeed, attached my current that works for me, but it should not differ too much from the one in the first post.

Attached Files

dit3

dit3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thank you, I will try that... do you beleave that in some bright future USB 2.0 will be working? Or is that something none kext or DSDT patch cannot solve...? You know, most of the WiFi usb dongles are 2.0 ...

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
That should work, from what i know, it's only the 2.0 flash drives that do not work. It is possible to get them to work, but then, the USB 3.0 devices will only work on USB 2.0 speed.
If that is ok, then download the IOUSBMassStorageClass and IOUSBFamily from here: http://www.insanelym...60#entry1881406

dit3

dit3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thank you very much Lejenk.., I dont care about speed, more important is compatibility for me... by the way DSDT you attached works like a charm!! At least I know that Clover is loading custom DSDTs :D Have you tryed EFI partition I have shared?

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
Will update the first post this evening then :)
Yes i did, could not load it from HDD, so reverted to chameleon, got boot0 error, and had to erase my HDD to reinstall :P

Trying to get windows setup to load by uefi now, but also no succes, think i'll have to wait for a bios update :)

dit3

dit3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Dr, Hurt: Unfortunatelly I have Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 ...

Lejenk: Thats weird that you cannot boot via UEFI... Have you seen my videos on youtube?

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
I have, even spent hours on the phone with the idiots from Dell, they could not help me, came down to: "Wait for a bios update".
I could boot clover once, so it works in some kind of way, but not as it should -_-

dit3

dit3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I was also on dell line for hours... so you have switched to UEFI boot... disabled secure boot and enabled Legacy option ROM, right? If you want, you can download image of Arch Linux(Kubuntu,Ubuntu, whatever...) and open SSH port for me, I can analyse your PC and can also install it on flash drive in UEFI mode.. if you dont trust me, you can remove HDD from NTB.. its up to you, but I have spend 2-3 days instaling OS(es), especially windows, but if you have A12 as me, I dont beleave that UEFI on your PC is in worse shape than on mine...

Or you can place other HDD(or bigger Flash drive) and we can Skype or somethink, it is better to see what you see so I could share my experineces and hints... well its up to you... I am willing to help you, since you contributed so much to our 7720 which is handy to me :) I offer only compensation :P

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
Yes, could only boot clover with Legacy ROM disabled btw.
I have A12. Just wondering, how do you want to Skype, when i have to reboot the system, that way you can't see what i see :P

It's fine like this for now, perhaps the in the future. No need to compensate anything, this is what we do :superman:

dit3

dit3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
About the skype, I guess you have phone or tabler, right? :) .. as I said, if you want, contact me and I can try to help you... ;)

Going to install those USB kexts, so lets see if it helps :)

dit3

dit3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
So USB is working just fine :) Thank you again... my WiFi dongle is working just right :) Here is little video I made check it out ;)

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
Yeah, nice, tried to install Windows 7, was using Windows 8 installation, still no succes, so i added you on Skype :)

iakughan

iakughan

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Informatica, Sistemi Operativi, Smartphone, Manga, Anime.
@Lejenk: Hi, i have another notebook (sorry for OT), how do you turn off the gpu in dsdt? Which ssdt do you use? How many pstates do you use? thanks and sorry for OT

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
Attached a few screenshots, it shows on the right the SSDT with the info, on the left where to add it.
Well, just also noticed, i forgot to add PSS to CPU0, have to look in to that again -_-

To disable the GPU, you will also need to add the following:

Method (PINI, 0, NotSerialized)
{
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.OPOF ()
\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3 ()
}
Goes above Method _WAK

Add the function to Method _INI under Device PEGP, and under Method _WAK as shown on the screen:

Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
{
PINI ()
If (LNotEqual (BRID, 0x06))
{
Store (Zero, _ADR)
}
}

Hope this helps. I'm moving this weekend, so short on time :) will make a detailed guide after that.

Attached Files

iakughan

iakughan

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I have a AMD Gpu, it's equal? There are some differents? the battery life increases? thanks

I tried to edit the dsdt, but I did not understand, you can edit my dsdt?

Attached Files

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
I don't know anything about AMD sorry.
Yes, the battery life doubles, and the system will run a lot cooler.

iakughan

iakughan

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
ok, thanks a lot

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
For editing the DSDT to disable the GPU, you will also need the SSDT files, best to create a new topic for this.

iakughan

iakughan

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
i create a ssdt using revogirl's script, with this ssdt and my dsdt it's possible disable gpu?

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
No, extract the SSDT files from Linux or Windows, you can use Aida64 from Windows, a video explaining how to can be found here:

Just extract all found SSDT tables, one of them will contain the needed information.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell, 7720, 17r SE, Mountain, Lion, OSX86, Installation, Retail, Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy