OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

@Bezna

The first step is to turn your 'MacPro' into a 'iMac' because you cannot install Sierra or High Sierra on a MacPro3,1.

I am guessing you don't have a Defaults.plist file installed since the MacPro3, is the default that is in the ROM.

Ideally your main OS X drive should be connected to SATA0,0  (port 0 on the red connector), the main advantage of doing this is that you can predict where the firmware will look for that Defaults.plist.

Can you confirm if your main drive is already connected to SATA0,0 ?

If not and nothing is connected to SATA0,0 plz connect it there, if something else its already connected plz let us know what is connected where.

Also download this software, it will become a part of your toolbox.

@IronManJFF

I have downloaded ESP Mounter Pro and mount my main drive 

i have folder called Efi and some more folders in.

to instal sierra i need to

unplug all extra Hdd from mobo and leave just my main  ssd as disk0s1 

1)Do i have to copy Defaults.plist there with ESP? 

2) do i have to update mobo bios with H2O.XMAS  and then 

3)) is my bios setup ok (my previous post)

Thanks on Wendsday im gonna get gtx 1060 6gb oc and try to run it. 

It does not matter if your main drive is disk0s1 those labels are assigned by the OS, or if your other drives are plugged or not, what matters is that it is plugged where I told you.

It does not matter if your firmware settings are ok because they will be overridden when you flash the new ROM image. But if you insist on being sure,  just 'Load Optimized Defaults'.

Make sure the drive is connected where I told you to, go into ESP Mounter and check the EFI partition of your main drive

Inside that EFI folder there should be a QUO or Oz folder depending on your current firmware version

-If there is already a folder named OZ

----Do these steps one at a time, don't try to do all at once 

---- Put in a valid iMac 13,2 serial number in the template I attached to this message

---- Put the completed Defaults.plist into the Oz folder

---- Reboot and when you ear the beep hit F12, you will get a boot selector menu

---- On that screen do Command-Option-P-R , the screen will flash red to indicate that nvram is being cleared and the system will reboot

---- If the system ends up rebooting to a prompt type  'exit'

---- Once rebooted, check about this Mac and you should now be a iMac Late 2012 if you put the file in the right place and have a valid serial, every time you change the file you have to reset nvram

---- Now that you are a iMac, you can flash the High Sierra compatible ROM image that I provided in this post

- If there is no Oz folder

---- Don't get creative an create this folder yourself, let the firmware do its job

--- Do these steps one at a time, don't try to do all at once 

---- You can flash the system with ROM image I provided for High Sierra in this post 

---- Once the system reboots, it will create the Oz folder structure for you but you are still a MacPro

---- Put in a valid iMac 13,2 serial number in the template I attached to this message

---- Reboot and when you ear the beep hit F12, you will get a boot selector menu

---- On that screen do Command-Option-P-R , the screen will flash red to indicate that nvram is being cleared and the system will reboot

---- Once rebooted, check about this Mac and you should now be a iMac Late 2012 if you put the file in the right place and have a valid serial, every time you change the file you have to reset nvram

One other thing, DONT INSTALL THE GTX 1060 UNTIL YOU HAVE SIERRA OR HIGH SIERRA BECAUSE THE DRIVERS REQUIRE SIERRA AND ABOVE

You might want to update to Sierra before going High Sierra, so you have a working system before APFS conversion... BACK IT UP

If you decide to upgrade to High Sierra read this post BEFORE

Defaults.plist Template.zip

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bezna said:

@IronManJFF

thanks so much i will try if i have problems i will try to google it and try again and try...hopefully with success. 

And to be honest ... you are wonderful person. thanks you for ur time ! 

Just giving back to the community that gave to me, let us know about your progress

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had to adjust BiosDate and BiosVersion for it to go (used small update) ... Apple bundle a Firmware Update for iMac13 in 10.13.5 (and updated apfs.efi)

You can do it like this

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosDate=04/09/2018
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosVersion=IM131.88Z.0115.B00.1804091830

Also made corresponding adjustment in Defaults.plist 

Edited by IronManJFF
Precision about update method used

I had to adjust BiosDate and BiosVersion for it to go ... Apple bundle a Firmware Update for iMac13 in 10.13.5 (and updated apfs.efi)

You can do it like this

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosVersion=IM131.88Z.0115.B00.1804091830

Ohhh got a little gift... to re-enable Ivy Bridge Power Management ... Unzip and place in /EFI/Oz/ACPI/Load 

SSDT-PM.aml.zip

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2018 at 1:36 AM, IronManJFF said:

It does not matter if your main drive is disk0s1 those labels are assigned by the OS, or if your other drives are plugged or not, what matters is that it is plugged where I told you.

It does not matter if your firmware settings are ok because they will be overridden when you flash the new ROM image. But if you insist on being sure,  just 'Load Optimized Defaults'.

Make sure the drive is connected where I told you to, go into ESP Mounter and check the EFI partition of your main drive

Inside that EFI folder there should be a QUO or Oz folder depending on your current firmware version

-If there is already a folder named OZ

----Do these steps one at a time, don't try to do all at once 

---- Now that you are a iMac, you can flash the High Sierra compatible ROM image that I provided in this post

- If there is no Oz folder

---- Don't get creative an create this folder yourself, let the firmware do its job

--- Do these steps one at a time, don't try to do all at once 

---- You can flash the system with ROM image I provided for High Sierra in this post 

---- Once the system reboots, it will create the Oz folder structure for you but you are still a MacPro

One other thing, DONT INSTALL THE GTX 1060 UNTIL YOU HAVE SIERRA OR HIGH SIERRA BECAUSE THE DRIVERS REQUIRE SIERRA AND ABOVE

You might want to update to Sierra before going High Sierra, so you have a working system before APFS conversion... BACK IT UP

If you decide to upgrade to High Sierra read this post BEFORE

Defaults.plist Template.zip

Everything worked like a charm ;) 

Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 10.17.52.png

Hi all, hi IronManJFF

You're  talking about an updated apfs.efi with 10.13.5

Can you tell me where can I get this file & how to inject it in the bios.rom ?

Thanks

Hi all, hi IronManJFF  

You're  talking about an updated apfs.efi with 10.13.5

Can you tell me where can I get this file & how to inject it in the bios.rom ?

Thanks

/usr/standalone/ i386/apfs.efi To put in ROM, you need to use kext2ffs And then replace APFS module in ROM using UEFITool

Actually I am thinking of removing APFS from ROM and Loading it from EFI only so not to have to maintain ROM images for every single release

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 6/3/2018 at 8:36 PM, IronManJFF said:

I had to adjust BiosDate and BiosVersion for it to go ... Apple bundle a Firmware Update for iMac13 in 10.13.5 (and updated apfs.efi)

You can do it like this

Ohhh got a little gift... to re-enable Ivy Bridge Power Management ... Unzip and place in /EFI/Oz/ACPI/Load 

SSDT-PM.aml.zip

Ok, so I tried updating to High Sierra from Sierra, and ran into an issue while running the installer.

After launching the installer, and letting it reboot, several pages of text flash by, then the GUI appears displaying that it will take 41 minutes.  After a couple minutes it stops and shows a dialog box saying that "macOS could not be installed on your computer.  An error occurred while verifying firmware."   I'm using the Z77MXQUOAOS.H20.CPWN-APFS-10.13.4.rom, and I updated my defaults.plist with the new BiosDate and BiosVersion as above and did command-option-P-R from the F12 boot menu.  I have to restart and I go back to Sierra.  The System Info shows the Boot Rom Version as IM131.0115.B00, so it looks like it has picked up the new BiosVersion info.

Any suggestions on what's going wrong?  For what it is worth, the latest High Sierra installer looks like it is 10.13.5, so I'm not sure if I have the correct ROM.

Edited by toastie

Verify in UEFI Shell that Bios Date is also correct

nvram -p 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosDate
The values I provided are for iMac13,x, if you are using another SysDef, it will not work

Or post your Defaults.plist

Edited by IronManJFF

Another gift ...

Updated with APFS from 10.13.5 also added a FireWire EFI driver, so far FireWire devices are getting enumerated but I still cannot boot from FireWire (don't know if I am missing something or if it is my old device) if you wanna test it ...

Z77MXQUOAOS.H20.CPWN-APFS-10.13.5.ROM

Side note : I tried a NO APFS image ... monumental failure... had to manually reconnect drivers and update mappings 

2 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Another gift ...

Updated with APFS from 10.13.5 also added a FireWire EFI driver, so far FireWire devices are getting enumerated but I still cannot boot from FireWire (don't know if I am missing something or if it is my old device) if you wanna test it ...

Z77MXQUOAOS.H20.CPWN-APFS-10.13.5.ROM

Side note : I tried a NO APFS image ... monumental failure... had to manually reconnect drivers and update mappings 

Shame - I was hoping to avoid the regular ROM update as well.

18 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Verify in UEFI Shell that Bios Date is also correct

nvram -p 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosDate
The values I provided are for iMac13,x, if you are using another SysDef, it will not work

Or post your Defaults.plist

Hmm.  Running the nvram command from the shell returned nothing.

Attached is my default.plist 

Defaults.plist

That file is invalid , it does not even have a serial number...the BIOS date is invalid  

Create your file from this template .. you don't need anything else

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Version</key>
	<string>1.0.1</string>
	<key>Date</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosDate</key>
		<string>04/09/2018</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>IM131.88Z.0115.B00.1804091830</string>