HD 7xxx-Can we eliminate the Sleep Trick?

eep357

188 posts in this topic

7970_roms.rarCan someone make a UEFI vbios for the sapphire 7970 rom include from the gigabyte one? I see in HxD that they have many differences and I am not sure what to do.

Thanks, Tried with the rom but no display signal(card didn't boot). Thankfully it had bios switch

Hope you can add my Gigabyte Mhz edition 7970 3GB. It doesn't seem to be working with the rotation trick. It may be that I have to rotate my 4 displays in a certain order. Or maybe with a pause between. Sleep trick is still working.

You have no framebuffer loaded... thats your issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having issues getting my card to load os x.

I'm glad device ID's are added to both chameleon and clover I was getting garbled text and instant reboots at first, had to download clovergrower and chameleon source code to edit ati.c

I used to be on 10.8.3, but now using 10.8.4 beta. In Chameleon r2191 or clover r1426 I cannot get my Powercolor AMD 7870 MYST Edition 2GB (same board as Fau7i but different card: - HD 7870 XT (Tahiti LE) - ID 679e.) to work, stuck on spinning wheel.

Tried many combinations different framebuffers GraphicsEnabler/Injection=Yes/No in BIOS tried "Windows 8 Boot"/CSM=off/on, also delete csmvideodxe64 but no go also tried dual gpu no luck.

in ML only safe mode works. Finally had to use my old nVidia GT 240 to get mountain lion to boot

Also sapphire 7950 driver for 10.7.5 works (had to edit ATIFramebuffer.kext and add my device id) but Its very buggy, results in slow os x after sleep. I removed sleepenabler.kext now I get instant reboot.

Any hints appreciated!!

Regards,

Ash

Having issues getting my card to load os x.

I'm glad device ID's are added to both chameleon and clover I was getting garbled text and instant reboots at first, had to download clovergrower and chameleon source code to edit ati.c

I used to be on 10.8.3, but now using 10.8.4 beta. In Chameleon r2191 or clover r1426 I cannot get my Powercolor AMD 7870 MYST Edition 2GB (same board as Fau7i but different card: - HD 7870 XT (Tahiti LE) - ID 679e.) to work, stuck on spinning wheel.

Tried many combinations different framebuffers GraphicsEnabler/Injection=Yes/No in BIOS tried "Windows 8 Boot"/CSM=off/on, also delete csmvideodxe64 but no go also tried dual gpu no luck.

in ML only safe mode works. Finally had to use my old nVidia GT 240 to get mountain lion to boot

Also sapphire 7950 driver for 10.7.5 works (had to edit ATIFramebuffer.kext and add my device id) but Its very buggy, results in slow os x after sleep. I removed sleepenabler.kext now I get instant reboot.

Any hints appreciated!!

Regards,

Ash

Hi, I'm not guaranteed it will work for your card, but worth to try it when using Clover;

1. Ensure secure boot and multi Lucid Virtu (multi-monitor) are disabled. Then sharing memory is set to 32mb.

2. If your ATI card doesn't support UEFI (I think it does), you have to let CSM enabled, but boot with GraphicsInjector=No and without CsmVideoDxe driver.

3, If it has UEFI vbios, you can disable CSM but boot with GraphicsInjector=Yes. And change FBName (Futomaki, Hamachi, Dashimaki, Aji etc) and number of ports. It can be tested from Clover GUI > Options > Graphics menu.

Here, I can boot with both options (2 and 3). The difference is when I boot with option 2, I need to do sleep trick and generic FB will be used. Anyway, I have its dev ID inside my DSDT.

This rotate trick doesn't work for me. Neither does the sleep trick (still white screens after waking).

The only thing(s) that work for me thus far are:

1) iGPU enabled primary, but no cable connected, so booting blind into OSx86. No white screens, goes right to login.

2) iGPU enabled primary, but one cable connected, boots to OSx86 no white screen.

If PCIE is set as primary, it will always boot to white screens, even if I can see the mouse.

Hardware:

- Asus Sabertooth Z77

- i7 3770k

- Asus 7970

Currently using the blind boot (method 1) so I can drive all my monitors through the 7970, however I'd like to be able to ditch the blind boot if possible and use PCIE as primary. I've tried various FramBuffers no change, currently using Chutoro. I'm open to trying any suggestions, however based on other threads/blog posts this seems to be an un-resolvable problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote a script to automate the sleeping/waking cycle. Available here: http://cl.ly/PEL2

Make sure to change PASSWORD to your user password as pmset needs to be run by root. Also change time_to_sleep to whatever is desired. 20 seconds oddly enough seems to be pretty much instantaneous on my machine.

In plain text:

#!/bin/bash
time_to_sleep=20 #seconds
now=$(date +%s)
target_unix=$(($now+$time_to_sleep))
target_time=$(date -r $target_unix +"%m/%d/%y %T")
echo PASSWORD | sudo -S pmset schedule wake "$target_time"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
pmset sleepnow
else
echo "This script must be run as root."
fi

EDIT: Running the code as an Automator application seems to work better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Possible solution for some people with multi-monitor issues with different resolutions. This works on 10.8.3/10.84

Explanation: I have a 7850 and am successfully using clover boot and the rotate trick to get to my 10.8.3 desktop. Small issue however. I have dual monitors. One is a 1080p and one is a 1280x1024. The rotate tool doesn't work with this ... well it does but mirroring is enable by default on the first boot. Graphics revert to 1280x1024 and mirror and then I get corrupted with no updates. So basically dead in the water. In trying to fix this I was looking into ways to force each monitor to native resolutions then I realized how about just setting up extended desktop. I was searching on where the config file that dictates this was when I stumbled upon an easy fix.

Solution: After you figure out your monitor IDs and create a fb-rotate (read back in the thread for this) script to run at startup just download the following app and place it in startup. It removed mirroring automatically: http://www.fabiancan...MirrorDisplays/. I did have an issue with the mirroring executing too fast so I installed delay start and set it to 10 seconds which allowed it to do its thing.

If this is helpful then great..posting this as nobody seemed to be complaining about this exact symptom I was having and it was driving me nuts.

@ fnordsensei

Thanks for the script. It works as its supposed to when run manually.

But I can't get it to run during the white screen.

Adding the Automator app to "Login Items" makes the script run *after* I can successfully boot in by manually hitting the power button to sleep and waking back up.

Would appreciate any help on how to go about fixing this.

Thanks in advance.

@ fnordsensei

Thanks for the script. It works as its supposed to when run manually.

But I can't get it to run during the white screen.

Adding the Automator app to "Login Items" makes the script run *after* I can successfully boot in by manually hitting the power button to sleep and waking back up.

Would appreciate any help on how to go about fixing this.

Thanks in advance.

so it auto logs you in, and you have to sleep-cycle and then it will run on its own OR do you have to sleep-cycle to log-in? you have to enable auto login

so it auto logs you in, and you have to sleep-cycle and then it will run on its own OR do you have to sleep-cycle to log-in? you have to enable auto login

The first one... I have auto login enabled, but I have attached a screenshot of it to be sure I have everything right

If I have any Automator app in Login Items, as I boot it would go:

white screen > I wait till HDD light is off > hit power button > wait for 1-2min > computer shuts down > hit power button again > screen goes blue for 1-2secs if I have FBrotatate / sleeps and wake up again if I have fnordsensei's script > desktop immediately appears.

post-650759-0-31758900-1370909510_thumb.png

The first one... I have auto login enabled, but I have attached a screenshot of it to be sure I have everything right

If I have any Automator app in Login Items, as I boot it would go:

white screen > I wait till HDD light is off > hit power button > wait for 1-2min > computer shuts down > hit power button again > screen goes blue for 1-2secs if I have FBrotatate / sleeps and wake up again if I have fnordsensei's script > desktop immediately appears.

that's strange.. I let it boot up and then i wait about 2 mins before it does the blue screen thing. Have you tried waiting more?

that's strange.. I let it boot up and then i wait about 2 mins before it does the blue screen thing. Have you tried waiting more?

I tried waiting over 5 minutes and it remains white the entire time.

Drive activities stopped after the first 10secs or so, and after waiting a bit more after that moment, the sleep trick would no longer work.

The sleep trick doesn't seem to be predictable to begin with, because the drive LED flashes at random and inconsistent timings - pressing the power button too early or too late wouldn't work.

Very strange indeed... I'm almost giving up on this and thinking of going back to my 6870 again :(

Couple of thoughts.  Have you tested the app in safe mode?  Set security to allow any app to run?  I ran into that snag rebuilding mine and I forgot to fix that stuff.  

Have you tried the rotate script?  It's pretty easy to do and works for me even on multi monitors.  Just have to get it right.   If you have more than one monitor try working with just one at a time.  My sleep doesn't work because of a bios issue but rotate fix helps me. 

I tried waiting over 5 minutes and it remains white the entire time.
Drive activities stopped after the first 10secs or so, and after waiting a bit more after that moment, the sleep trick would no longer work.
The sleep trick doesn't seem to be predictable to begin with, because the drive LED flashes at random and inconsistent timings - pressing the power button too early or too late wouldn't work.
Very strange indeed... I'm almost giving up on this and thinking of going back to my 6870 again :(

Couple of thoughts.  Have you tested the app in safe mode?  Set security to allow any app to run?  I ran into that snag rebuilding mine and I forgot to fix that stuff.  

Have you tried the rotate script?  It's pretty easy to do and works for me even on multi monitors.  Just have to get it right.   If you have more than one monitor try working with just one at a time.  My sleep doesn't work because of a bios issue but rotate fix helps me. 

He says the rotate script doesn't work; he can see the desktop if he sleep-cycles

So I know you don't need the sleep trick if you download the 10.9 dp1 on 7970.

But do you need the sleep trick on 7950 on 10.8.4 or 10.9dp1?

Thanks

Can you confirm that 10.9 DP1 works ok for you? What kexts had you installed and which ones did you reinstall?

So because the 7970 works native, the 7950 should too?

I guess you could always flash 7950 bios to 7970.

I have to make a descion between 7950 and 670 4gb. I can get both for about 310USD, but am not sure what to get.

Well you do get higher performance/USD with the 7950 but nVidia has better support with OSX. Get the 7950 if it has UEFI GOP VBIOS and your mobo can boot clover in UEFI mode else 670 if ease of use means much to you. I would wait though and see how 10.9 plays with both cards.