Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Any T420S users around?

WLAN is working fine after swapping the Intel card for Broadcom (DELL DW 1510).

The T420S system fan is blowing rather frequently and quite audible compared with the T420.

Is this a usual thing? T420S is a 4174-2AG type.

Except for that maybe the better choice over a T420? A lightweight and even easier to service laptop.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, namisloc said:

I ended up bricking the install that was on mSATA drive.  I wiped it and started over with dosdude patcher (downloaded 10.14.6 through the tool).  I had a hang-up at 99% with "less than a minute remaining" - I didn't save the logs, but installation was complete, it was hung up removing files (I think). 

I rebooted and the mojave wasn't on my Clover options, even after fixing the EFI partition and running dosdude's post-install patcher.

For what it's worth, the installer sat at 99% ("less than a minute reminaing") for about 15 minutes before I forced it off.  I'm going to run the install again and leave my computer overnight to see if it makes a difference.  I'll get the logs this time.

Installer Log 01-05-20.txt

hmm. i would give the install an 1 - 2 hours. if more than 2 hours then I would assume something is not right. i have seen that 1 minute remaining last like 30 minutes. 

On 1/7/2020 at 1:30 PM, tluck said:

hmm. i would give the install an 1 - 2 hours. if more than 2 hours then I would assume something is not right. i have seen that 1 minute remaining last like 30 minutes. 

Tried 3 different installs, reformating each time and re-imaging the USB before the last one just in case.   Log attached, not sure what I'm doing wrong :/

Installer Log 01-11-20.txt

Status report:

I was lamenting that my JMicron SD card reader stopped working with Catalina.

Tried again with the T420S and can confirm the SD card reader is still working.

Mounted the system partition read/write and did run JMicron PCIe Card Reader.mpkg.

The installer told me that it was not made for this macOS, but proceeded anyway.

Success so far!

Too bad the JMicron based PCI card readers are that hard to find these days.

As for the USB3 port of the T420S, its working with Rehabman 2015 Generic kext mostly.

Sometimes a second trial is needed to have the device show up on the desktop.

CardReader.png.0718a6fb68555afa3d745339aafe6d61.png

Last not least, I found the patched config.plist, tluck recommended, working with all T420(s) displays,

no matter whether they are LG, AUO or Samsung brands.

Feel free to try the attached config.plist.

config.zip

Edited by goodguess

Nice finding tluck, thanks for sharing!

Looks like /mod/original/$01C8000.FL1 is the one to flash first and /mod/$01C8000_NWL.FL1 the second one.

I´m tempted to try with one of my T420, as 1.52 seems to be the latest BIOS, security fixes only, but still…

Edited by goodguess

Hello,

I followed the manual and successfully installed Mojave on my Lenovo ThinkPad T420 (i5, 8 Gb RAM, HD 3000, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 256 GB).

I followed the steps as described and the installation went smoothly and everything works, but I have one problem.

The most common problem is opening and minimizing Safari and other heavier programs.

For example, when I open Safari and try to minimize it as long as it causes the entire operating system to freeze and I have to shut down the laptop forcibly.

Please give me advice on what to do because I really like working with Mojave but I do not like this freeze and the constant restart.

I had the same problem with the installation and operation of the High Sierra.

I used the files from the link: Lenovo-T420-Clover/releases

Thats strange suzunski, Safari on my side collapses to the dock in an instant, same for expanding again.

What do you get when opening "About this Mac" from the Apple menu?

Did you check whether the HD3000 kexts are loaded?

MJ_HD3000.png.5c238635f4a1f57e482a2b49cf6e1cad.png

With 8GB RAM you should see your HD3000 with 512MB RAM as above.

If thats not the case, something is wrong with your setup, presumably.

23 hours ago, goodguess said:

Thats strange suzunski, Safari on my side collapses to the dock in an instant, same for expanding again.

What do you get when opening "About this Mac" from the Apple menu?

Did you check whether the HD3000 kexts are loaded?

MJ_HD3000.png.5c238635f4a1f57e482a2b49cf6e1cad.png

With 8GB RAM you should see your HD3000 with 512MB RAM as above.

If thats not the case, something is wrong with your setup, presumably.

Hello, thank you for your reply.
When I open "About this Mac" I see exactly what you uploaded - Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB.
I'll read if I have to do the installation again, but I really want to get it working fine.

Hi again, I think I've fixed the freezing problem on the screen.
Of course it was because I had read between the lines.
Before starting OS, I went into clover options and set it to run with config.EDID-2e2.plist and I no longer have any clogs and freezes even with all the dock effects :)
Now I have the following question, do I need to do something special to automatically load this config.EDID-2e2.plist so I don't manually ask it, or if it is already asked once it will start automatically? 
And one more question, come to me Security Update 2019-002, 10.14.6 - 1,36 GB which I had previously installed but then starting up the laptop and staying on the black screen, ignore it or look for a solution to this problem as well?

Good to know you found the culprit suzunski!

If you want to change the config.plist permanently, mount the EFI partition of your Samsung SSD and go to the Clover folder.

I would recommend renaming the config.plist to config.old, make a duplicate of the 2e2.plist and rename that duplicate config.plist.

That way you can keep all original files, just in case. ;)

I do not recall any issue with the security update.

A black screen usually says there is something wrong with the GPU kexts.

Best boot from your Mojave Patcher boot stick and re-install the patches for the MBP 8,1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goodguess said:

Good to know you found the culprit suzunski!

If you want to change the config.plist permanently, mount the EFI partition of your Samsung SSD and go to the Clover folder.

I would recommend renaming the config.plist to config.old, make a duplicate of the 2e2.plist and rename that duplicate config.plist.

That way you can keep all original files, just in case. ;)

I do not recall any issue with the security update.

A black screen usually says there is something wrong with the GPU kexts.

Best boot from your Mojave Patcher boot stick and re-install the patches for the MBP 8,1.

And what about Catalina on T420?

I found out where my errors were when installing and configuring Mojave and I really want to try it install Catalina, do you have experience with it and any impressions on whether it's worth a try or stay on Mojave?

11 minutes ago, Kralj said:

So guys , how Mojave runs on Thinkpad T420 , is better to stay on Sierra?

I think the sound on Sierra can be more Lauder , can I fix that?

I tried High sierra and I immediately turned to Mojave :) 

The newer the OS, the better :frantics:

1 minute ago, suzunski said:

I tried High sierra and I immediately turned to Mojave :) 

The newer the OS, the better :frantics:

I was also installed High Sierra but I had some graphics glitches (white lines) so I installed Sierra and its working very well. Only one glitch with white lines in Chrome and that all.

Much depends what you want to do with your laptop. Apple is always phasing out old features.

E.g. Sierra is the last OS fully supporting Adobe CS 5.5 (with Java runtime), Mojave the last to run 32bit apps.

So newer is just newer, not per se better. ;) 

Sound is not overwhelming with the T420 built in speakers, no matter which OS you are using.

10.15 is working flawlessly when you are using the Clover package tluck has on GitHub and the CloverPatcher from the Dosdude1 site.

When you plan to use Catalina with another than a LG 1600x900 display, best use the attached dual link config.plist at EFI/EFI/Clover.

Dual Link also works with the LG 1600x900 display, its just not obligatory.

After preparing the CatalinaPatcher boot stick, install the OS as usual.

Add the EFI folder from the Clover package to the EFI partition of your system volume.

At last boot from the CatalinerPatcher usb stick again and run the CatalinaPatcher with settings for a MBP 8,1.

Now you can boot from your system volume with "everything" working.

dual_link_config.plist.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goodguess said:

Much depends what you want to do with your laptop. Apple is always phasing out old features.

E.g. Sierra is the last OS fully supporting Adobe CS 5.5 (with Java runtime), Mojave the last to run 32bit apps.

Sound is not overwhelming with the T420 built in speakers, no matter which OS you are using.

10.15 is working flawlessly when you are using the Clover package tluck has on GitHub and the CloverPatcher from the Dosdude1 site.

When you plan to use Catalina with another than a LG 1600x900 display, best use the attached dual link config.plist at EFI/EFI/Clover.

Add the EFI folder from the Clover package to the EFI partition of your system volume.

At last boot from the CatalinerPatcher usb stick again and run the CatalinaPatcher with settings for a MBP 8,1.

Wow , so Catalina works good , thats amazing . I will make second partition and try to install. How do I format partition for Catalina , like Mac OS Extended Journalde or.... ?

@suzunski and @Kralj

you can run Sierra and High Sierra using the method in my guide

you can run Mojave and Catalina by combining Clover with Dosdude1 method. that is, use the Dosdude1 method of creating the custom installer and post install patcher. 

my HD has all 4 versions installed for testing.

And you may see graphic glitches even when using the fake EDID 2e2 on High Sierra and later especially with AUO brand LCD. Sierra was the most glitch free OS. the last 3 are about the same in terms of glitches, since they all use the same graphics kext.

Yeah, the volume out of speakers has never been very loud. 

And thanks @goodguess ill put the duallink properties into the config.plist

• Like 2

17 hours ago, goodguess said:

I start by trying to install Catalina on my T420. :help:
Please take a look at the steps and tell me if I understand correctly. I apologize for the translation from Google Translate :blush:
Thank you! :thumbsup_anim:
1. Preparing portable memory, formatting under Mac OS Extended (Journaled), (GPT);
2. Download CloverPatcher from the Dosdude1 site and start downloading the operating system and recording and portable memory;
3. Do I need to copy the tluck EFI folder from GitHub to removable memory before I start the installation, or is this done after Catalina is installed in the existing EFI folder on the T420 SSD?
4. Make BIOS settings as truck post: Lenovo T420 Clover Guide;

5. I start the installation process and get to the formatting of the SSD which should be in APFS format and GUID Partition Map scheme?
6. After formatting the SSD, I start the Catalina installation;
7. When restarting, do I have to reload from the installer memory to do Post Install for MacBookPro 8.1 and do I have to check all the bookmarks?
8. If I do not need the implementation of point 7, do I switch directly to Catalina from the SSD;
9. I load an EFI partition on a SSD and copy the entire EFI folder of tluck from GitHub to it, but what is given: REPLACE OR MERGER?
10. If step 7 is not performed, do I restart and boot from the portable memory and perform Post Install for MacBookPro 8.1?
11. The next step is following the instructions in point 4 and is related to "Install (copy) the DisplayVendorID- * directories";
12. Perform "Install the all custom kexts to your OS / Library / Extensions folder";
13. Perform "Create a customer injector";
14. Do I need to install Clover and perform any operations with it?
15. Do I need to install updates?
16. I squeeze my thumbs so that no bugs appear :whistle:

@1: Correct

@2: Yes

@3: Yes, the EFI folder from tluck´s package must be in the EFI partition of every volume that shall boot.

@4: AHCI is a MUST, booting may be UEFI Only or Both each is working for me.

@5: Correct. APFS, GPT is the goal. Also check via Terminal "diskutil list" that the EFI partition was created.

@6: Right

@7: Yes. Boot from your installer after the whole installation was was done. Select MBP 8,1 if there is nothing selected.

@8: See above

@9 Replace. Copy the EFI folder onto the EFI partition (EFI/EFI/Clover is the full path, for example.)

@10: I do not understand the question

@11: Not needed

@12: Not needed

@13: Not needed

@14: No

@15: Not needed as 10.15.2 is the latest macOS for now. There will be Apple updates in the future though.

Good luck! ;)

One last thing, did you find out the manufacturer of you display?

The 1600x900 display had three sources I am aware of, LG, AUO and Samsung.

AUO, Samsung and some LG displays need a Dual Link setting in your config.plist.

I´m not sure whether tluck already updated his Clover package in the meantime.

If not, the needed file is four posts above.

Replace the config.plist in EFI/EFI/Clover if you got a black or distorted (streched) screen in macOS.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 7:27 PM, goodguess said:

Good luck! ;)

One last thing, did you find out the manufacturer of you display?

The 1600x900 display had three sources I am aware of, LG, AUO and Samsung.

AUO, Samsung and some LG displays need a Dual Link setting in your config.plist.

I´m not sure whether tluck already updated his Clover package in the meantime.

If not, the needed file is four posts above.

Replace the config.plist in EFI/EFI/Clover if you got a black or distorted (streched) screen in macOS.

Hello again,
Huge thanks to Goodguess for the guidance.
I apologize that I will have to ask some questions again, but this time I want to make the installation as it should and everything is done to the last detail.

Question №1: Installation process

Option №1: Start the SSD installation - First reboot - Choose to boot from SSD - Finish the installation until the desktop is fully loaded - Copy the EFI folder from Clover to the EFI folder on the SSD - Restart and choose to start from USB - Perform Post Install - Restart - Boot operating system.
Option №2: Start the SSD installation - First reboot - Choose to boot from USB - Perform Post Install - Restart - Choose to boot from SSD - Finish the installation to fully load the desktop - Copy the EFI folder from Clover to the EFI folder of the SSD.

Question №2: Post Install Process

Need to tick Force Cache Rebuild after Post Install Process?

Question №3: Display manufacturer
How do I know which display manufacturer is on my ThinkPad?
I am attaching BIOS photos!

IMG_0647.JPG