Is there a way to change my mac's serial #?

DesertFox

59 posts in this topic

I am in the same boat. My computer was just sent back from AppleCare and they finally replaced my defective logic board but now I have "NO" serial number of any kind.

I have been fighting with them to fix that or let me fix it, and here is what I have found.

The serial number is stored in NVRAM in OpenFirmware. Data is written to the NVRAM memory chip by going to the OpenFirmware prompt, entering your new commands and then "nv-update".

The problem is finding a command (if one actually exists in OF instead of needing to write into a config file and then run it)

We need to find a really great Linux Kernel Developer with strong experience with Proc to find out where it looks up the system serial number from.

• 1 month later...
Correct be if Im wrong, but isn't the serial number the Mother Boards serial number as well? if so, then it can't be changed without getting a new MB

This is the problem we are trying to get around. Change the serial # without having to change the motherboard.

I was recently reading some other posts where it was reported that the serial changed when they replaced their hard-drive. Could this be possible? Is it possible that the serial is a combination of hardware serial numbers? Can anyone confirm this? Or is it just a number assigned to a motherboard NVRAM?

• 1 month later...

I recently had my logic board replaced,

When I got my MacBook back, some silly repair-centre person had left a CD in the drive called "SetSysSerSum-3T100". The readme file shows it is a utility that when booted into, allows you to, easily with a GUI, change the serial number of any intel mac!

Kinda wary of posting the dmg here, but if there's interest..!

I recently had my logic board replaced,

When I got my MacBook back, some silly repair-centre person had left a CD in the drive called "SetSysSerSum-3T100". The readme file shows it is a utility that when booted into, allows you to, easily with a GUI, change the serial number of any intel mac!

Kinda wary of posting the dmg here, but if there's interest..!

Send that to me....

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the file. Question though...

I'm new to macs (so don't start kickin'), and I am just wondering what would be the consequences of using the program posted. I mean, wouldn't I have to change anything else (such as the airport serial, mac adress, even some other hardware...) or this prog just changes the serial and everything else remains the same. Has anybody tried it? Is it working and how?

cheers!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone know if this dmg will still change the serial number on the newest macbook pro's ? The one's with the 2.4 ghz processor? I have a 17 inch model and when I press and hold the D key when booting, it will not boot from the cd. I've tried putting in other bootable cd's and holding ALT/option and that cd shows up (bootable Leopard install disc). I also want to mention that I had an older version Macbook Pro (2.33ghz) and it ran the cd just fine and I was able to change the SN. I'm just kind of wondering if it's a hardware issue, or firmware....and if anyone else has had any luck changing a serial number on the newest macbook pros. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't even black screen for me. For me, the disk spins up on boot, i try D, i try C, {censored}+option+command+delete, nothing gets the disc to boot. I booted into -s and checked to see if the disc shows up, and only my hard drive does. I've tried recreating the image, and it still doesn't work. Anyone have ideas?

jackleek,

Awesoem work :hysterical: I'm not gonna try this on my hack but heres the ReadMe:

THIS READ ME FILE AND THE SOFTWARE IT DESCRIBES IS APPLE CONFIDENTIAL

Set System Serial Number CD, v.3T100, part number 063-6541.

A utility to set the system serial number on Intel based Macintosh computers.

USAGE:

Insert the CD and start the system using the D key, then follow on-screen instructions.

If a problem occurs when reading the current value, then the utility will report it as "value unknown".

If a problem occurs when writing the new value, then the utility will report an error, e.g. "( -1 0xfffffe )".

ENTERING DATA:

You need to click in text the field before being able to enter data into it.

SHUT DOWN COMMAND:

On slot fed optical drives:

- the disk will eject;

- a pause of approximately 10 seconds will occur;

- the unit will then shut down.

On tray fed optical drives:

- the tray will eject;

- a pause of approximately 10 seconds will occur;

- the tray will inject;

- the unit will then shut down.

In both cases the pause can be interrupted by pressing any key, including the Return key.

RESTART COMMAND:

The CD will not eject, the unit will immediately reboot.

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS:

'.' : "Cancel" button when available

'R' : "Restart" button when available

'S' : "Shutdown" button when available

return : default button when outlined

Field Diagnostic Applications, March 2006

Does anyone know if this is safe to use on a hackintosh? Probably not right?