Lion kernel testing on AMD (don't ask help here: use the Help Topic)

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

gedna

gedna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Lion is running pretty fast and stable with this kernel.

There are no problems with the graphic. :D

Thanks for compiling it. ;)

what kind of kernel are you using?

wastez

wastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
The last kernel which litzshane compiled.

gedna

gedna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

The last kernel which litzshane compiled.

can you please explain how to use that lion patch? long time snow leopard user, bit rusty with all those patch stuff..

wastez

wastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
You don´t have to use this patch file.
It´s just a diff to compile the kernel by yourself.

Just use the kernel and start it ;)

If your system panics use -nossse3bit flag.

gedna

gedna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
ok installer iatkos l2 put my atiata kext on system/E booted up with legacy kernel archx86-64 -v and iv got this panic: unable to find driver for this platform ACPI
whats wrong?

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

ok installer iatkos l2 put my atiata kext on system/E booted up with legacy kernel archx86-64 -v and iv got this panic: unable to find driver for this platform ACPI
whats wrong?

It's a 10.7.5 kernel.
L2 = 10.7.2...

wastez

wastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
This is the only file which crashes sometimes: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/VideoToolbox.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/VTDecoderXPCService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/VTDecoderXPCService

mac_carol

mac_carol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

This is the only file which crashes sometimes: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/VideoToolbox.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/VTDecoderXPCService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/VTDecoderXPCService

it's the same issue as ML with Sinetek's / AnV's previous build kernel ( post #1443 )
or even with the vanilla kernel ( http://lmgtfy.com/?q...coderXPCService )

but Andy has already fixed it in his latest kernel ( post #1454 )

Until someone apply the patch to the kernel, I temporarily disable it by running chmod -x:

sudo chmod -x /System/Library/Frameworks/VideoToolbox.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/VTDecoderXPCService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/VTDecoderXPCService

@IiTz ShAnE

Thanks for the kernel :)
It works & runs fast on my pc. :thumbsup_anim:

It'll be really great if you can apply AnV's latest patches to your next kernel (10.7.5 maybe?)
so it'll be able to eliminate any VTDecoderXPCService.xpc issues
and it'll also be able to detect the SSSE3 feature like AnV's ML kernel

Posted Image

wastez

wastez

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
It would be great if somebody could add the changes from opemu, etc. to this kernel so that everything will work.

byransays

byransays

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
You guys running 64-bit Lion having an issue with the Finder window "sticking" the first one I open I cant open and folders, when I do its blank, I have to right click on the folder and click "open containing folder" then the first finder window wont close....odd..

Im also using the 64 bit Finder that comes with the 10.7.5 update.

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Web Design. OS X. Music.
Not sure if this helps at all but I'm getting the same graphics problem on 10.7.5 as ML does. Using the kernel I built from Andy's diff

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
    Hacking...

Not sure if this helps at all but I'm getting the same graphics problem on 10.7.5 as ML does. Using the kernel I built from Andy's diff

And the previous one worked?
We need to check the differences...

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts

And the previous one worked?
We need to check the differences...

Yes it worked in 10.7.4 but it was the graphics were a bit laggy.

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
    Hacking...

Yes it worked in 10.7.4 but it was the graphics were a bit laggy.

And the current diff aplied to 10.7.4 xnu and 10.7.4 system?
Or just 10.7.4 graphics?
We need to look into this...

Shaneee

Shaneee

AMD Dev Tester

• Local Moderators
  • 1,002 posts

And the current diff aplied to 10.7.4 xnu and 10.7.4 system?
Or just 10.7.4 graphics?
We need to look into this...

I was you diff that required the -nooosebit that I applied to the 10.7.4 xnu along with the 32-bit kernel diff on a 10.7.4 system.

I am trying to sort the graphics out just now. Maybe a DSDT fix would work?

Mad Marcsen

Mad Marcsen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
so, i did a little research and i have an idea.

are you really, really sure this is an issue that comes from the opemu or amd specific patches?

since lion there are a lot of customers, that are experiencing graphic artifacts on their hardware. yes, apple hardware, not some hackintosh. the problem is a real problem as there are many! people who have this issue. try google for "mountain lion graphic glitches" or something else. you can find videos on youtube and threads like this one. so maybe it's just a fortune that mostly all users here experience those problems.

and as i saw that iits has the same problems in lion my opinion on this is tightened.

but maybe there is a fix, but i can't try it because i have no windows machine here. in the thread mentioned above look at page 21. scroll down a bit and you see a post by andrew humphreys about changing some clock speed in the gfx bios and reflashig it. maybe someone is willing to test?

what do you think guys?

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
    Hacking...

so, i did a little research and i have an idea.

are you really, really sure this is an issue that comes from the opemu or amd specific patches?

since lion there are a lot of customers, that are experiencing graphic artifacts on their hardware. yes, apple hardware, not some hackintosh. the problem is a real problem as there are many! people who have this issue. try google for "mountain lion graphic glitches" or something else. you can find videos on youtube and threads like this one. so maybe it's just a fortune that mostly all users here experience those problems.

and as i saw that iits has the same problems in lion my opinion on this is tightened.

but maybe there is a fix, but i can't try it because i have no windows machine here. in the thread mentioned above look at page 21. scroll down a bit and you see a post by andrew humphreys about changing some clock speed in the gfx bios and reflashig it. maybe someone is willing to test?

what do you think guys?

Changing the clock speed might work.
Certainly worth a test...

Peek here...
https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0
Seems a real issue on Apple computers too...

More here...
https://discussions....rt=300&tstart=0
He has a workaround too...

More here...
https://discussions....rt=300&tstart=0
He has a workaround too...

Mad Marcsen

Mad Marcsen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
is there a way to change clock speed within osx? i know that in windows the ati driver comes with a nice piece of software, where you can change everything. but that's specific to windows.

maybe the nvidia problem is related to cpuid stuff. if someone could get those cards to work with qe/ci there is a chance that the same problems appear.

in sl everything worked for me (and for nearly every person who has this problem). they must have changed the graphics system in lion upwards and introduced a software bug, maybe in the opengl stuff, that hasn't been fixed until now.

so anyway, if someone knows a way i can change clockspeed under osx let me know. and if someone has windows, please test :D

Edit:

Found this tool: http://thomas.perrier.name/index.html

Gonna try it now...

Deltac0

Deltac0

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Caffeine, OS X, AMD Hackintosh
So, IitzShane... You got 10.7.4 with your kernel working with QE/CI and no graphic glitches? Then upgraded to 10.7.5 and the glitches appeared?
Maybe compiling the kernel for 10.7.5 or using the 10.7.4 kexts would help?

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,619 posts
    Hacking...

is there a way to change clock speed within osx? i know that in windows the ati driver comes with a nice piece of software, where you can change everything. but that's specific to windows.

maybe the nvidia problem is related to cpuid stuff. if someone could get those cards to work with qe/ci there is a chance that the same problems appear.

in sl everything worked for me (and for nearly every person who has this problem). they must have changed the graphics system in lion upwards and introduced a software bug, maybe in the opengl stuff, that hasn't been fixed until now.

so anyway, if someone knows a way i can change clockspeed under osx let me know. and if someone has windows, please test :D

Edit:

Found this tool: http://thomas.perrier.name/index.html

Gonna try it now...

Isn't that ppc?

Here is the explanation for graphic bios edit
http://forums.redfla.../t-1265323.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy