Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hey guys, i'm facing a problem to boot my ML installation on a secondary HDD (first one used for windows 8). I'm using clover v980 and when i check the option for a 64bits boot mode i get Boot 1 error, so i tried with the 32 bits and it seems to lunch Clover but everytime i try to start mountain lion i get a KP, you can see a photo attached, can anyone give me a hand?. Here is my system :

Asus G75VW :

Asus G75VW-BH71-CB CPU i7 3630qm 2.4GHz Graphics Nvidia 660m GTX 2 Gb 500Gb HDD (for Mountain lion) + 750 HDD for windows 8

post-946790-0-24486500-1357836368_thumb.jpg

Hi guys... I'm looking for some ideas and advice here. I successfully moved 4 Mountain Lion installs (for friends) from Chimera to Clover the other day to resolve the iMessage problem (and to get with the future :) ). But then I ran into trouble when trying to do my own machine last night. Here are some specs:

GA-P55A-UD4P

GUID partitioning

Currently Chimera 1.9.2 w/ minimal edits (smbios, boot args) working fine

I've tried installing Clover (via same v2-rL980 package I used on other machines) on both a fresh USB key for testing and a cloned drive. In both cases I get the same result after setting them as the boot drive. Basically the system BIOS posts, then it accesses the boot drive and I just see a number "7" appear on the screen followed by a blinking underscore. -> 7_ There it will sit forever. It never makes it to the Clover menu.

I don't mind working through mac boot problems, but this seems to be some initial problem getting Clover to load up so I'm not sure what is involved, or what I should try next.

Perhaps some key BIOS settings?

Are there any settings from config.plist to even consider this early in the bootloader process?

Is there more helpful info I could provide? Anyway to make Clover more verbose at that early stage?

Any help would be truly appreciated. I have plenty of usb keys and clone drives to play with....

Thanks!

P.S. The only odd thing that sticks in my head is that I know when I tried to update Chimera to 1.10 it froze before its menus would appear also. (which is why I went back to 1.9.2 which works fine). I think(?) both Chimera and Clover share code from Chameleon right? So perhaps some later Chameleon update isn't playing nice with my motherboard/config. Probably wrong, but just thinking out loud. ;)

EDIT: SOLVED :) Had to update BIOS to get to Clover menus.

Did you put the FakeSMC.kext to the EFI/kext folder or to /System/Library/Extensions? For me it only works when put in /S/L/E. Don't forget to boot without caches.

In S/L/E. What's funny is that during boot, it tries to load this kext that I put in /EFI, but the kext does not show up in verbose. I try to keep the extension of retail copy of Mlion as vanilla as possible so that I can restore different hacks.

I succesfully booted with clover, but have problem with sleep function. When I boot with chameleon, the system sleeps / wakes fine using darkwake=0, but with clover, it sleeps, but the system doesn't wake up. I can see the computer starts, the light comes on, fan turns but no monitor. I tried with darkwake=0, darkwake=10 but no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

also chameleon has usb bus fix string, but don't see in clover. is that something that gets patched automatically?

This is not the place to discuss ! This is: http://www.insanelym...ral-discussion/

Take your Win8 DVD Installer, set in config.plist:

<key>Volumes</key>
<dict>
<key>HideOpticalUEFI</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>HideInternalUEFI</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HideExternalUEFI</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HideAllLegacy</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>

Boot from Clover and you will see Win8 DVD. Start Installing Windows from dvd, reformat the drive and install Windows from scratch. In this way it's installed in a GPT drive in UEFI mode. After instalation Clover boot into Windows normally !

post-250582-0-95555200-1357811253_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for this but I can't format the drive. In any case, I will format only the Windows partition. I have another 500GB+ of data in that disk that I can't lose. In fact, I tend to install windows with the OSX disks unplugged. The last time, after installing windows 8, my SSD (where OSX and the bootloader sits, chimera) was formatted and I didn't even touched it. Yesterday, after applying Win8 updates, the SSD was also corrupted but I fixed it with Disk Utility on another OSX partition I have for backups.

All I'm trying is to use Clover to boot from that legacy MBR partition. Windows actually boots from the System Reserved partition. My mobo has legacy BIOS, not EFI.

Also I'd like to know how to tweak/modify the RAM speed. My system is overclocked but the RAM shows as 1333MHz when it's actually working at 1699MHz (it's a 1600 kit but slightly overclocked).

I also had to set the CPU speed because it was showing 2800MHz and I have it at 3568 with a BCLK of 169MHz. I know the RAM is working at the speed set in BIOS, but I'd like to have it shown on the System Report.

In chameleon/chimera I didn't even set the SMBios values for the RAM, was detected automatically at the OCed speed.

Cheers!

I have Win8 installed on a separate hardrive with its own BCD bootloader and when I select the "System Reserved" partition (the one I have to select with Chameleon) I get an error saying that BCD is corrupted or missing. In chameleon/chimera it works fine.

I hid the other two partitions on that drive (the actual OS partition and another to store data) because with chameleon I have to select the first one (System reserved).

Well, Chameleon is BIOS booter and has no issues in BIOS boot. But can not do UEFI boot.

Clover is UEFI bootloader and has no issues with UEFI boot. But sometime can and sometimes can not (depending on the mobo) do BIOS boot.

If it prints BCD error when you try to start it, it looks to me that it could work on your mobo, because this message is not from Clover - it's from Win booter.

> I hid the other two partitions

Does this mean that you hide them? If yes, can you try by not hiding anything and then try booting each legacy option?

Well, Chameleon is BIOS booter and has no issues in BIOS boot. But can not do UEFI boot.

Clover is UEFI bootloader and has no issues with UEFI boot. But sometime can and sometimes can not (depending on the mobo) do BIOS boot.

If it prints BCD error when you try to start it, it looks to me that it could work on your mobo, because this message is not from Clover - it's from Win booter.

> I hid the other two partitions

Does this mean that you hide them? If yes, can you try by not hiding anything and then try booting each legacy option?

Yes, I hide them with the strings I found on boot.log.

And, indeed, the error is from the Windows booter. I saw the same error in chameleon/chimera if I try to boot with the OS partition and not the System Reserved. That's why I hid them in chimera, too.

Any info about tweaking the RAM speed???

Cheers!

EDIT:

I deleted the hide strings for the remaining partitions of the windows drive and here are my results:

- Booting from the System reserved partition gives the BCD missing error.

- Booting from the actual OS partition gives me the same error of BCD.

- Booting from the third partition that contains only data gives the "bootmgr is missing" error and that's ok because it doesn't have a boot manager.

I found something new. I also have another disk in GPT with a backup installation of Mountain Lion and another partition of data in NTFS. I have chimera in that drive, too but in the EFI partition. In Clover, it says "Boot EFI from ." and if I select it, it goes to that Chameleon but I can't choose any other drive present. it boot straight to that backup partition.

That makes me think that the issue with Win8 is that it makes think the Windows Boot Manager that only the System reserved partition is available an therefore it can't find the other partition where the OS is installed.

I don't know what to do, and I don't want to convert my drive to GPT because I tend to install windows with other drives unplugged to avoid problems and then I use a bootloader. It has worked for me so far.

EDIT AGAIN!!!!

It works!!! I had to add the slide=0 boot arg and now I can boot to the "System reserved" partition!

I'm loving this bootloader so far. I installed it to the SSD and now it's my primary bootloader. I still want to tweak the RAM speed.

2.2 and you need some drivers in /Efi/drivers64UEFI folder: FSInject-64.efi, HFSPlus.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

- start installer again, choose "Customize" and then select "Drivers64UEFI" option and install it to USB stick over existing install

- then delete all from that /Efi/drivers64UEFI folder except FSInject-64.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

- and then search the web for HFSPlus.efi driver, for example: from here (direct link) and put it to /Efi/drivers64UEFI

2.3 and then try starting from USB with "UEFI: <the name of the stick>"

Is EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi not necessary to inject RT variables needed to fix iMessage problem?

If I add EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi to /Efi/drivers64UEFI, kernel panic related to "com.apple.driver.EFIRuntime". Without this, iMessage still can't register even MLB key added to config.plist. Any clue?

Is EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi not necessary to inject RT variables needed to fix iMessage problem?

If I add EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi to /Efi/drivers64UEFI, kernel panic related to "com.apple.driver.EFIRuntime". Without this, iMessage still can't registe even MLB variable added to config.plist. Any clue?

Not needed.

EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi replaces original firmware runtime (RT) variable services (which works with NVRAM) with emulated ones (in RAM). It is needed only on some laptops with Phoenix UEFI (Dell, Lenovo) when using UEFI boot, because there is some issue with original firmware RT services when used from OSX. Most of other UEFIs need just FSInject-64.efi, HFSPlus.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi.

Although it should also not KP if you have EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi - so it's possible that there is some other issue hidden somewhere. But if all works when you remove it - maybe all is fine after all.

Hi guys... I'm looking for some ideas and advice here. I successfully moved 4 Mountain Lion installs (for friends) from Chimera to Clover the other day to resolve the iMessage problem (and to get with the future :) ). But then I ran into trouble when trying to do my own machine last night. Here are some specs:

GA-P55A-UD4P

GUID partitioning

Currently Chimera 1.9.2 w/ minimal edits (smbios, boot args) working fine

I've tried installing Clover (via same v2-rL980 package I used on other machines) on both a fresh USB key for testing and a cloned drive. In both cases I get the same result after setting them as the boot drive. Basically the system BIOS posts, then it accesses the boot drive and I just see a number "7" appear on the screen followed by a blinking underscore. -> 7_ There it will sit forever. It never makes it to the Clover menu.

I don't mind working through mac boot problems, but this seems to be some initial problem getting Clover to load up so I'm not sure what is involved, or what I should try next.

Perhaps some key BIOS settings?

Are there any settings from config.plist to even consider this early in the bootloader process?

Is there more helpful info I could provide? Anyway to make Clover more verbose at that early stage?

Any help would be truly appreciated. I have plenty of usb keys and clone drives to play with....

Thanks!

P.S. The only odd thing that sticks in my head is that I know when I tried to update Chimera to 1.10 it froze before its menus would appear also. (which is why I went back to 1.9.2 which works fine). I think(?) both Chimera and Clover share code from Chameleon right? So perhaps some later Chameleon update isn't playing nice with my motherboard/config. Probably wrong, but just thinking out loud. ;)

EDIT: SOLVED :) Had to update BIOS to get to Clover menus.

This is of interest to me as well as I have a similar board, GA-P55A-UD3, rev1.0, but I am already at the latest BIOS rev :( So your fix won't make a difference.

The screen just ends with a "7" followed by the flashing under-bar cursor. This is with a MBR Fat32 USB, a GPT HFS HDD (clone of my primary ML HDD). The only thing I've not tried thus far is resetting the BIOS back to factory defaults and giving that a go. I do run overclocked on the i7 920.

I'd like to move over to Clover for more than just the current iMessage fixes, it seems to be more well rounded and I have always admired the work the authors have done.

Thanks!

I found something new. I also have another disk in GPT with a backup installation of Mountain Lion and another partition of data in NTFS. I have chimera in that drive, too but in the EFI partition. In Clover, it says "Boot EFI from ." and if I select it, it goes to that Chameleon but I can't choose any other drive present. it boot straight to that backup partition.

Based on that - your legacy BIOS boot should work (you know that already) and you are lucky here since there are lot of boards where this does not work.

There is only one catch - your USB devices (keyboard, as the most important) will not work. As you saw in that example with Chameleon. Usually, this is not an issue, since your Win boot manager will go straight to Windows and they will load their drivers and all will be working fine. But if for some reason you end up in Windows boot selection (after improper shutdown for example), Win boot manager will offer you it's boot selection menu but your keyboard would not work. The solution would be to choose to boot Windows directly by choosing Win drive from BIOS for this particular case.

It works!!! I had to add the slide=0 boot arg and now I can boot to the "System reserved" partition!

Well, I'm glad it works!

Although I do not understand why slide=0 helped, because that slide=0 parameter should have nothing to do with legacy Windows booting. Can you try again without it? And also by putting some dummy value instead of slide=0, like just 'ttt'?

EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi replaces original firmware runtime (RT) variable services (which works with NVRAM) with emulated ones (in RAM). It is needed only on some laptops with Phoenix UEFI (Dell, Lenovo) when using UEFI boot, because there is some issue with original firmware RT services when used from OSX. Most of other UEFIs need just FSInject-64.efi, HFSPlus.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi.

Ok. I just have those files ( FSInject-64.efi, HFSPlus.efi, OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi) and MLB key in config.plist (as my serial + 5 digits to make it 17 chars long) but iMessage behavior is exactly the same as before update to rev.980.

Having in mind that my nvram.plist only shows "fmm-computer-name" key, may be clover is not injecting any efi variable for some reason? (I think this is done by FSInject-64.efi, right?)

I succesfully booted with clover, but have problem with sleep function. When I boot with chameleon, the system sleeps / wakes fine using darkwake=0, but with clover, it sleeps, but the system doesn't wake up. I can see the computer starts, the light comes on, fan turns but no monitor. I tried with darkwake=0, darkwake=10 but no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

also chameleon has usb bus fix string, but don't see in clover. is that something that gets patched automatically?

try manually setting the framebuffer

<key>Graphics</key>

<dict>

<key>FBName</key>

<string>Duckweed(for example)</string>

@collac432, If you are using UEFI boot, then nvram.plist is not used at all. nvram.plis is just for BIOS CloverEFI boot, to save restore nvram variables across reboots. When using UEFI boot, all nvram variables are stored to real NVRAM and are persistent across reboots. Clover injects them directly (from CloverX64.efi file), not from FSInject.

You can see some (just some Apple's) nvram variables from OSX by executing in Terminal:

nvram -p

For example some of them are: boot-args, boot-image, efi-boot-device ...

Yes, I'm using UEFI boot, and I didn't know this about real NVRAM booting this way (I thought only real Macs having NVRAM ). Thanks for the explanation ;)

But It's a bit confusing the fact that nvram.plist is generated by rc.shutdown.local script. This script is just using the "nvram -px" command to save the output in nvram.plist. So when I type the command in Terminal, I have the same output, only "fmm-computer-name".

Any idea about other thing I could check?

But It's a bit confusing the fact that nvram.plist is generated by rc.shutdown.local script. This script is just using the "nvram -px" command to save the output in nvram.plist. So when I type the command in Terminal, I have the same output, only "fmm-computer-name".

Any idea about other thing I could check?

Yes, it's confusing. Are you sure you are using UEFI boot? You should get boot.log at the root of OSX volume. Does it say:

Starting rEFIt rev 980 on American Megatrends EFI

or

Starting rEFIt rev 980 on CLOVER EFI

or something similar?

And the second thing - are you using some other nvram store/restore system from before? If I remember correctly, DHP/RevoGirl had some system for this previously.

And ... which board are you using?

Based on that - your legacy BIOS boot should work (you know that already) and you are lucky here since there are lot of boards where this does not work.

There is only one catch - your USB devices (keyboard, as the most important) will not work. As you saw in that example with Chameleon. Usually, this is not an issue, since your Win boot manager will go straight to Windows and they will load their drivers and all will be working fine. But if for some reason you end up in Windows boot selection (after improper shutdown for example), Win boot manager will offer you it's boot selection menu but your keyboard would not work. The solution would be to choose to boot Windows directly by choosing Win drive from BIOS for this particular case.

Well, I'm glad it works!

Although I do not understand why slide=0 helped, because that slide=0 parameter should have nothing to do with legacy Windows booting. Can you try again without it? And also by putting some dummy value instead of slide=0, like just 'ttt'?

I will try again when I get home and post the results. The weird part is that I didn't even had that arg before. Now it works fine.

Do you know anything about changing the RAM speed? Like I said before I had to set the overclocked CPU value because otherwise it would show the stock speed.

Cheers!

Yes, it's confusing. Are you sure you are using UEFI boot? You should get boot.log at the root of OSX volume. Does it say:

Starting rEFIt rev 980 on American Megatrends EFI

or

Starting rEFIt rev 980 on CLOVER EFI

or something similar?

And the second thing - are you using some other nvram store/restore system from before? If I remember correctly, DHP/RevoGirl had some system for this previously.

And ... which board are you using?

I'm totally sure I'm using UEFI boot. In fact, that is the only boot method I've tried and the reason for choosing Clover as boot loader. I think CLover UEFI boot is the most aproach to apple stuff. The bad thing is that my system is a Dell optiplex 390 desktop. This board has given me many problems (ATA, graphics, etc.) but finally, after hard read and read, is running ;)

So, I've been doing some researches and that's is what I found:

- boot.log shows following messages: (removed messages no import ants)

0:101 0:000 Starting rEFIt rev 980 on American Megatrends EFI
139 0:000 Clover revision: 980 running on OptiPlex 390
0:139 0:000 ... with board 0M5DCD
0:152 0:012 Using OEM config.plist at path: EFI\config.plist
0:152 0:000 Loading early settings
0:152 0:000 LoadDrivers() start
0:161 0:008 Starting HFSPlus.efi
0:173 0:012 Using load options 'HFSPlus.efi '
0:173 0:000 - driver needs connecting
0:173 0:000 Starting FSInject-64.efi
0:186 0:012 Using load options 'FSInject-64.efi '
0:186 0:000 Starting CsmVideoDxe-64.efi
0:198 0:012 Using load options 'CsmVideoDxe-64.efi '
0:198 0:000 - driver needs connecting
0:198 0:000 Starting OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
0:207 0:008 Using load options 'OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi '
0:207 0:000 Starting OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
0:219 0:012 Using load options 'OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi '
0:219 0:000 2 drivers needs connecting ...
0:219 0:000 PlatformDriverOverrideProtocol not found. Installing ... Success
0:219 0:000 Edid: size=128
3:380 0:000 FindStartupDiskVolume ...
3:380 0:000 GetEfiBootDeviceFromNvram:
3:383 0:002 efi-boot-device-data: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1F|2)/Ata(Primary,Master)/HD(Part2,Sig83BD7E68-885D-4C37-BE2A-D71A1D63886E)
3:383 0:000 Volume: 'Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1F|2)/Ata(Primary,Master)/HD(Part2,Sig83BD7E68-885D-4C37-BE2A-D71A1D63886E)'
3:383 0:000 LoaderPath: ''
3:383 0:000 Guid = 83BD7E68-885D-4C37-BE2A-D71A1D63886E
3:383 0:000 FindStartupDiskVolume searching ...

Last part, makes me think that "efi-boot-device-data" exists in NVRAM. Then, why "nvram -p" does not show me it?

Other message I don't know if I have to care about is "PlatformDriverOverrideProtocol not found. Installing ... Success" and don't know if it is related to next finding.

- I've tried to get my system-id to check if the lasts bytes match with my en0 MAC address.

As you explains here, I've set InjectSystemID=Yes and no CustomUUID, so my system-id must be located into IODeviceTree:/efi/platform/system-id... but it does not:

Davids-iMac:~ David$ ioreg -p IODeviceTree
+-o Root 
+-o / 
+-o chosen 
| +-o memory-map 
+-o efi 
| +-o kernel-compatibility 
| +-o runtime-services 
| +-o configuration-table 
| | +-o EB9D2D31-2D88-11D3-9A16-xxxxxxxxxxxx 
| | +-o 8868E871-E4F1-11D3-BC22-xxxxxxxxxxxx
| | +-o 49152E77-1ADA-4764-B7A2-xxxxxxxxxxxx 
| | +-o 4C19049F-4137-4DD3-9C10-xxxxxxxxxxxx 
| | +-o 7739F24C-93D7-11D4-9A3A-xxxxxxxxxxxx 
| | +-o 05AD34BA-6F02-4214-952E-xxxxxxxxxxxx 
| +-o platform 
+-o cpus 

(none of the UUID endings match my ethernet mac address and I don't know if my system-id must be one of them)

At this point, it seems like something goes wrong with my NVRAM variables/efi injection. What do you think?

If you need some more info/logs/tests from me, feel free to ask. Thank you!

About system-id: with "InjectSystemID=Yes and no CustomUUID" it should be there. Try with:

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id

Should give the same value as your SMBIOS UUID (DarwinDump - SMBIOS report, table type 1 System Info).

> GetEfiBootDeviceFromNvram: efi-boot-device-data: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1F|2)/Ata(Primary,Master)/HD(Part2,Sig83BD7E68-885D-4C37-BE2A-D71A1D63886E)

Yes, this means that this value is in nvram.

You can try this in Terminal:

sudo nvram MyVar=TestValue

then print it - should be there:

nvram -p

then restart the system int clover GUI and go to UEFI shell (press S) and type:

dmpstore MyVar

it shold be there. Then exit shell (exit) and boot OSX and print it again:

nvram -p

it should still be there.

How does it work in your case?

About system-id: with "InjectSystemID=Yes and no CustomUUID" it should be there. Try with:

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id

Should give the same value as your SMBIOS UUID (DarwinDump - SMBIOS report, table type 1 System Info).

Yeah!

Davids-iMac:~ David$ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep \"system-id
| "system-id" = <44454c4c590010488050b2c04fxxxxxx>

You can try this in Terminal:

sudo nvram MyVar=TestValue

then print it - should be there:

nvram -p

then restart the system int clover GUI and go to UEFI shell (press S) and type:

dmpstore MyVar

it shold be there.

No luck...

Davids-iMac:~ David$ sudo nvram MyVar=TestValue
Password:
Davids-iMac:~ David$ nvram -p
MyVar TestValue
fmm-computer-name David%e2%80%99s iMac
Davids-iMac:~ David$ 

In EFI Shell, MyVar was not there, neither "fmm-computer-name" :wallbash:

FSInjection is one way of injecting kexts from /efi/kexts/{censored} - not for vars.

But - it's clear - your RT variable services are not working properly from OSX. It's strange since it's American Megatrends EFI and I did not see such case so far. Only guys with Phoenix UEFI have similar issue, but it's worse then your case - their OSX is almost blocked for 10 minutes after boot. The solution for them is to use EmuVariableUEFI-64.efi, but this gives you KP (which is strange). I do not know ... if it works fine like this, I would not bother too much.