Not your ordinary G5 rear I/O board... extending the zammykoo legacy!

G5 I/O mod powermac customize

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

kevinodonnell

kevinodonnell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Mind me asking where you get the bracket from?

I am glad that you asked! I was staying up late during last night trying to make changes to the design - ditched the super-hard-to-solder iPod connector and used a 0.05" pitch 30 pin connector instead, with a daughterboard. I will release the files once the design is completed.

looking into your pictures... that is a super cramped position! a normal USB/Audio/Ethernet plug needs at least 1 inch clearance if my estimations are correct... We have to be creative in your situation. Let's discuss via PM.

You've got a PM

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Peeps... check out the first post! I have released a BETA version of the schematics!

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Question - what is the possibility of getting USB 3.0 supported on the PCB? Is it a matter of putting in more "lanes" to account for the extra pins USB 3 has?

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Right now there is no availability of a "90 degree" USB3 port. No one is making them.

This does make placing a USB 3.0 port to this G5 rear board somewhat challenging, but not entirely impossible.

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Would this work? Or this one. Even found some black ones

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Those fall into the "challenging but not entirely impossible" category

Ira Aduro

Ira Aduro

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
oh you know what, the port is vertical and those are horizontal. derp derp I should have noticed that.

minimod

minimod

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, great thread going here.

I'll definitely be down for one of these at some point in the next few months...

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason for the lack of firewire 400/800 ports?
I assume its to do with the availability of the necessary components/sockets, or is the wiring just too complex/large to fit a board like this?

I was going to ask the same question for optical in/out too but thinking about it, wouldn't an optical 'socket' actually be quite simple?
No soldering or pcb wiring would be required. I think it would just be a case of glueing/attaching a little coupler to the PCB board in just the right position to line up nicely with the socket on the G5 backplate.

Something a bit like this maybe?

Hmmm, next I'll be wanting Thunderbolt connections in the place of the Firewire! ;)

Keep up the good work!

Edit - sorry, just realised this is my first post on InsanelyMac! I've been lurking here for a while now (mainly looking at all the pretty G5 mods!) but I plan to spend a lot more time here from now on... :)

tw462X0

tw462X0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I was reading your article and I found it very interesting. I really like the idea of not having to modify the rear panel I/O ports. I found a couple of "Firewire 6-pin to 6-pin adapters" that may work since there does not appear to be a "through hole" Firewire connector in the correct orientation. See if this will work. It maybe too long I was not able to locate any dimensions. It is sourced by Ultra. Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason for the lack of firewire 400/800 ports?
I assume its to do with the availability of the necessary components/sockets, or is the wiring just too complex/large to fit a board like this?

I was going to ask the same question for optical in/out too but thinking about it, wouldn't an optical 'socket' actually be quite simple?
No soldering or pcb wiring would be required. I think it would just be a case of glueing/attaching a little coupler to the PCB board in just the right position to line up nicely with the socket on the G5 backplate.

Mounting ports on a PCB ensures minimal diviation from the original design, thus minimizing failure rates. Glueing is messy and has a higher failure rate (Talking about hand-gluing, machine gluing is another story). You will have to find a coupler that has the right size in order to fit too!

At this stage, I am merely copying zammykoo's design and be a little creative on how the connections to the mobo are made. Furthermore, I don't see a widespread use of firewire ports so I used the extra space for my mobo connections. I am open to suggestions on my next batch. I might be wrong on the firewire presumption as well.

Hi,

I was reading your article and I found it very interesting. I really like the idea of not having to modify the rear panel I/O ports. I found a couple of "Firewire 6-pin to 6-pin adapters" that may work since there does not appear to be a "through hole" Firewire connector in the correct orientation. See if this will work. It maybe too long I was not able to locate any dimensions. It is sourced by Ultra. Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance

My response to you will be identical to the response to minimod. Cheers.

alancurry

alancurry

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

terrorgen,

I'm definitely interested in one of your boards

Alan

WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech

Macmodder Addict

• Retired
  • 454 posts
Just throwing my two cents in: you're not too far off with Firewire, Terrorgen. The vast majority of people (note: I'm not saying every last person on the earth) using Firewire still, fall into the following categories:

1) Video professionals on outdated gear.
2) People who invested in Firewire external hard-drives
3) People still using a certain Apple webcam
4) Audio professionals using audio interfaces.

Of these four, only the last is a reasonable excuse for wanting firewire. I know several audio techs and musicians who use firewire audio interfaces, and this equipment isn't exactly outdated either. Anyone in the other categories just needs to bite the bullet and upgrade...

chdrsto

chdrsto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi terrorgen

I'm also inerested in buying one of these boards.
Could you tell how to proceed with the order?

Thanks and Regards
Dragan

OSX86ORBUST

OSX86ORBUST

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i'm in if there is a firewire port. got cash in hand. infact i'd buy two!

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Hi terrorgen

I'm also inerested in buying one of these boards.
Could you tell how to proceed with the order?

Thanks and Regards
Dragan

I am not ready yet. I will figure out a payment method once I am done. I am putting to you to the waiting list for now (see OP)

aeropg1

aeropg1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just got a G5 i wonder when these will be ready? I bought a dremel so i might go ahead and cut the back. any clue on to when thanks

vanderveeken

vanderveeken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi terrorgen,
Could you sign me up for one with a single ethernet port? Really like your solution.

regards,
Pete

fifty50am

fifty50am

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi terrorgen, I'm interested in the rear panel with single ethernet..could you insert me in waiting list?
Thank you so much!

terrorgen

terrorgen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I am sorry for disappearing for quite a while! Things have been busy at work and I have recently moved, so much things to be done!

Anyways as I get settled down in my new place I will resume this project as soon as I can.

I just updated the waiting list.

Stay tuned!

by the way... do any of you guys know where I could get the standoffs which many modders reuse as standoffs for their ATX motherboards? I am short of those and I'll need them to test my designs.

I went to ebay and found nothing. Maybe I didn't search with the right keywords.

Anyone who knows about it please chip in.

Thanks!

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
home depot or lowes - they are called Binding Posts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: G5, I/O, mod, powermac, customize

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy