Oracle VirtualBox Snow Leopard

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 274 posts

an Intel Core2 duo processor - I have an i5-3570k IvyBridge. This may be a big issue.

Probably. Not something that I understand very well, but I would say that you need patched kernel. And you need to install it to your SL disk to be able to boot it without CD (iso). Patched kernel is probably on CD, but not on your SL disk.

How do I use the darwindumper app on my darwin that fails to load? all this will tell me is about the bootloader .iso that IS working, not the one that fails to boot. Unless I am missing something and it will generate a file even w/o successful boot, then I can re-enable the iso chameleon bootloader and view the file?? This app seems more for somebody with config issues, not with outright FAIL issues.

If you can boot, then you can run it. It should list all installed bootloaders - it does not matter how you started the system. But, maybe the problem is actually this patched kernel.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

There are those who call me...

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
I can boot, but not with chameleon integrated into my install. I can only boot with a bootloader.

And I cant patch the kernel without a working hackintosh or even better, a real mac, to patch it with. And I couldn't patch it because SN was never designed to run on this new of hardware. So I'm back to relying on hacks - which I have tried and all fail.

OHHHH - and I forgot! I cant even BUY a newer copy of OSX to run on my newer hardware becasue I cant get the old hardware to recognize properly on the App Store.

Dig a hole. Fill in that hole. Dig a hole. Fill in that hole.

ZackehSoul

ZackehSoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Probably. Not something that I understand very well, but I would say that you need patched kernel. And you need to install it to your SL disk to be able to boot it without CD (iso). Patched kernel is probably on CD, but not on your SL disk.

No, the i5 should work just fine without a modified kernel. The only issue that could be thrown up would be the kext removal of ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from within /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.

I dont even know what to say. I did EVERYTHING the same as I did before.

Didn't miss the ACPI stuff or anything? Did you update from 10.6.3 again?

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Music editing/Remixing, hiking, orienteering, 4 wheeling, reading (yes like books and such), and...
I did the update AGAIN only in the sense that I ran the update sequence on a second Virtual Machine running 10.6.3 (as this is the only version I can legitimately purchase) for the first time.

I used the same instructions that you posted before, and modified that .kext file, then copied that and the other 4 as-is .kext files back to their proper locations.

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 274 posts
Listing of blacklisted kexts from some earlier screenshot is from modified kernel. How i see it: You have patched kernel on your boot iso that can run 10.6.3, but not 10.6.8. And you did not copied that patched kernel to SL volume and then you can not boot without cd (iso).

Search with google shows this: http://www.osx86.net...d_10.6._...html

I think you shoul replace your /mach_kernel with the one from the link and try.

Chameleon is a bootloader. And again, it does not matter how you started osx - you can always start DarwinDumper and collect it's findings.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts

Listing of blacklisted kexts from some earlier screenshot is from modified kernel. How i see it: You have patched kernel on your boot iso that can run 10.6.3, but not 10.6.8. And you did not copied that patched kernel to SL volume and then you can not boot without cd (iso).

Search with google shows this: http://www.osx86.net...d_10.6._...html

I think you shoul replace your /mach_kernel with the one from the link and try.

Chameleon is a bootloader. And again, it does not matter how you started osx - you can always start DarwinDumper and collect it's findings.

No, the i5 should work just fine without a modified kernel. The only issue that could be thrown up would be the kext removal of ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from within /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.

So which is it? It works fine in VirtualBox without modifying the kernel or I need to modify the kernel? 2 post w/in 6 hours of each other directly contradict each other? So which post do I go with?

My boot iso is whichever bootloader I can manage to get working - which if you see my previous posts, sometimes it will work and others, the exact same bootloader will fail. None of the bootloaders that I have successfully used have specified snowleopard specifically. I have tried specific snowleopard chameleon packages though w/o success.

To see about darwindumper, I will create a new VM, run darwin dumper, (attempt to) install chameleon and replace the mach kernel and then run darwindumper again on the modified system, both with it attempting to boot from the disk image, and with it booting from the bootolader that I will inevitability have to use again. I will be curious to see the results as I can't image how a program designed to track the boot process will report anything from a failed chameleon install that is installed to the virtual disk image while booting from a bootloader iso.

I have some time tomorrow A.M. so I'll try it then.

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 274 posts
Well, it looks like you'll have to try. This is a chance to dig deeper and learn few things more.

I have Sandy Bridge and I can not run 10.6.3 without patched kernel because 10.6.3 does not have support for Sandy. And then no support for your Ivy also. When I was installing 10.6.3, I had to use patched kernel. 10.6.8 have support for Sandy, and obviously not for Ivy. Meaning - you can run it only with modified kernel. You may be lucky since stinga11 offered one on the posted link.

Lion also does not support your Ivy until 10.7.5, but you will probably not need Lion since you (maybe) will be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion from 10.6.8.

About boot loaders ...
Chameleon is a bootloader. What you call bootloader is your boot CD. Your ModCD contains Chameleon bootloader + patched (legacy) kernel for 10.6 + many kexts that would make many boards working when booted like this. You can open your ModCD.iso (double click on it) and you can then examine what's in there.

/usr/standalone/i386/cdboot - this is your Chameleon boot file, for booting from CD
/Extra/Preboot.dmg - will be loaded as RAMdisk when Chameleon starts (this allows ejecting CD and inserting another one in while keeping all Chameleon's stuff in memory) - all stuff is in there

/Extra/Preboot.dmg/Extra:
- com.apple.Boot.plist - Chameleon's config
- legacy_kernel - modified kernel to run on unsupported CPU
- Extensions.mkext - archive of kexts that will be loaded (you can use KextWizard to unpack it and see what's in there)

All in all, booting from CD can do many things that are not so obvious. In your case - boots your SL with patched kernel (legacy_kernel), plus loads tons of extra kexts (which you probably do not need). If you want to boot from a disk, then you need to replace original /mach_kernel with patched one. Although, since your main goal is to upgrade to ML, you probably do not need this - you can continue booting from CD. You can always install Chameleon to the disk once you install ML (you will not need patched kernel then).

There is a guy "who's-name-should-not-be-mentioned-because-he-steals-other-people's-work-but-who-prepares-good-tools-and-guides-to-make-install-easy-as-possible" - following his methods and tools would be much easier. But that's probably not your option.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
funny you mention "he-who-shall-not-be-named" because I did, for the sake of understanding what my issues were and to exhaust all possible options, use those tools and also was unable to make them work.

Slept in today (finally) and I'll get to work on the new VM right now. I really do hope your suggestions work and I'm willing to try anything - especially since all the previous suggestions did not work and yours is different.

Will post more when I know more...

ZackehSoul

ZackehSoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Oh wow, I completely missed the fact you stated it was an IvyBridge. Yeah, you need the modified kernel for it to boot properly. (which is weird as you didn't do that the first time).

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
The first time being the time I was successful in the upgrade to 10.6.8? I was never able to use an integrated Chameleon to boot to it, always had to use a booloader .iso disc so whatever information it was handing off from its built-in version of Chameleon to Darwin was what I was using even when the system did upgrade to 10.6.8.

I'm glad my two biggest helpers on this thread are now in sync - that was worrisome that there were different opposite views on what to do.

VM almost done being built... will post more when I know more.

**EDIT**

Guess I cant put this in a new post... keeps forcing me to edit my current one. *sigh*

I do know something more...

This error isnt starting off the process very good:

Attached File  KP running DD on virgin system.PNG   540.66KB   8 downloads

this is the second thing I did to the VM - the first being opening up the smb share to my windows box to go get this file.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
OHHHH - I got a new post this time... wonder what that delay is all about *scratches head*

Anyways...

rather than running the full DarwinDump, and without suggestions for what to run, I chose a few things and was able to run the program without a KP this time.

Attached File  DarwinDump.htm   129.8KB   1 downloads

I hope I got more than was needed, rather than less... 'cause off I go to try the chameleon install & kernel patch.

The link above to OSX86 is a resource that I have used extensively for this project. I even asked earlier in this post if I needed to use a patched legacy kernel. Guess everyone missed that? Regardless, I'll try the chameleon install, and - again guessing here - then before the reboot, patching the kernel? Maybe the other way around? Guess its time to break stuff...

so I decided to run the mach_kernel first. I thought that it would not affect anything as I'm still booting from the bootloader .iso disc - and as near as I can tell, I was right. Its only reading the info from the bootloader .iso disc, not a thing from the local virtual machine disk image. Please note the difference between disc and disk as I am using the terms properly to delinate between the .iso CD ROM image that is used as a bootloader to get me into the system, and the virtual machine HD image that actually contains the OS.

Regardless - here is my new DarwinDump file that appears to be the same as the old:

Attached File  DarwinDump.htm   132.47KB   0 downloads

I will now try to install chameleon and then replace the mach_kernel once more and see what that gives me.

ZackehSoul

ZackehSoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I'm not completely sure on the situation of IvyBridge and SL. I'm not sure if Legacy supports it, seeing as it's newer. There is an IvyBridge kernel out though I think, and all you need to do is switch them out at the end of the combo update before rebooting.

Edit:

http://www.osx86.net...d_10.6._...html

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
well I've gotten further with a chameleon install then ever before:

its stuck at the spinning wait icon splash screen, but there is HD activity, so I'll leave it alone for a while... never got this before - hopefully it loads the desktop.

and of course I forgot to do -v wait=yes...

and I used that kernel to patch this... I used the mach_kernel_patch.zip for this but downloaded the 10.6.8 for either further testing or for installation when I can do the 10.6.8 upgrade.

how do I do this at boot? I'm pretty sure I can figure it out after boot, but can I set a flag? I've done a quick Google and found nothing

Attached File  depreciated.PNG   43.27KB   9 downloads

Well... I think it worked... I shut the machine down after the grey screen was spinning for 10 minutes... didnt forget the -v wait=yes flags (even though wait doesnt seem to be responding... and rebooted twice and it comes up w/o the use of the bootloader .iso disc.

I tried using Chameleon v2.1svn r2052 from OSX86 and it said there was nothing to install - weird - so I used my previously downloaded Chameleon Wizard and used the Dropbox option (which has 2063), and after the install, I went thru the mach_kernel replacement again.

I am now using said wizard to create the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file that for some reason didnt exist in the /Extra folder...

...and its now stuck at that stupid boot args line that was listed several post ago... ARGH!!

I just tried forcing it to i386 in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and it is still stuck at that spot. I had searched previously for that error and didnt find anything of use...

any suggestions?

I can still boot with a bootloader .iso disc

... now I cant even boot with the bootloader .iso disc

- My idea was to delete the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and force the system to give me the previous error, then copy the com.apple file over as the org.chameleon file and see what happened. But now that I have deleted a file that was not required to start the machine either with chameleon or with the .iso disc, the system hangs totally.

ARGH!!! makes no sense why behaviours are not consistant!!!

I took a snapshot before I did the chameleon install, so I'll restore to that and start back there again... *sigh*

I'm off to work... wont be back till much later. I will also run the darwin dumper after the 'success' of chameleon and before the modification of the com.apple or org.chameleon files

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 274 posts
Looks like wrong kernal again. How exactly did you install that new kernel?

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
installed it exactly as you said... every step. downloaded the file, ran the chameleon install, copied the mach_kernel to root, ran chmod chown rebooted.

it worked before I tried to fix the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file - so I dont know how it could be 'wrong'? See the edit to my previous post... I'm Audi5000 for a minute.

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 274 posts
I have give it a ride to see what went wrong. Well, using ModCD is good since it allows you to install 10.6.3, but is also a problem because it also modifies installer and installs some things later that needs to be cleaned. Like some distro. ModCD is a piece of art - not many are able to compose such tool today. But also causes you trouble since it's hard to find out what really is going on.

Here are my steps:

Snow Leo 10.6.3 CD iInstall in VBox:
- VM created with pippox0's specs (http://www.insanelym...0/#entry1714573)
- 2073-OSX86_ModCD-031111-171757.iso added as CD (http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2073)
- started VM (not EFI mode), inserted SL 10.6.3 CD, press F5 to rescan drives
- when install CD appeared - started OSX Install - installation takes some 20 minutes
- ended with shutdown error (some issue with moded kernel) - not a problem, just turned off the VM
- added ModCD.iso as CD again and started VM
- booted new SL 10.6.3 and finished install
- NOTE: ModCD already installed to VM disk /legacy_kernel, older Chameleon and it's /Extra folder with additional kexts - requires cleanup, but you can boot 10.6.3 from VM disk without ModCD at that point

ivy moded snow leo kernel (works with sandy bridge also)
- install ivy moded snow leo kernel, since legacy_kernel from ModCD will not boot 10.6.8 later:
- downloaded SnowLeo kernel for IvyBridge (http://www.osx86.net...d_10.6._...html) and copied it to / as /ivy_kernel (change ownership and permissions if needed)
- modified /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and changed Kernel option from legacy_kernel to ivy_kernel and added -v to Kernel Flags)
- you can try to boot from VM disk. it will be with new ivy_kernel now
- there are 3 kernels now in /: original mach_kernel, ModCD legacy_kernel and ivy_kernel. ivy will boot by default, but others can be selected by just typing their names at Chameleon boot prompt (for example, just type: legacy_kernel).

and then Chameleon upgrade and cleanup after ModCD modifications:
- changed ownership from root to mine of /Extra for easier edit (sudo chown -R <yourUsername>:staff /Extra)
- downloaded Chameleon Wizard and installed newer Chameleon (Dropbox option, boot0hfs and then /boot and /boot1h)
- created SMBIOS.plist with Cham. Wiz. and saved it to /Extra/
- copied /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist and removed arch=i386 (plus changed Kernel=ivy_kernel and added -v to Kernel Flags)
- ModCD added some kexts that are not needed: deleted /Extra/Extensions.mkext and all /Extra/Extensions/*.kexts except NullCpu
- downloaded newer FakeSMC.kext (https://github.com/k...nsors/downloads , FakeSMC.kext in Binaries folder) and put it to /Extra/Extensions (together with NullCpu)
- more ModeCD fixes:
- removed /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
- used KextWizard and installed back kexts from /Backup Extensions to /S/L/E - gives sound back
- now restart and boot from VM disk - should work and have sound

upgrade to 10.6.8: just Software Update, let it finish and reboot. installer will change mach_kernel, but since Chameleon is instructed to boot ivy_kernel, no need to do anything else.

upgrade to ML: the best thing now is to add another disk in VM and install it there. I'll skip that :)

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
A step-by-step of a success! That is awesome. Glad you were able to do that and post it... I'll try those exact steps. I was wondering if the ModCD was causing me issues - its a great tool but sometimes the Swiss Army Knife tool can get in the way of a good screwdriver.

One question before I run this - was the Apple App Store able to recognize your 'hardware'? I need the FakeSMBios to be registered with compliant hardware for the App store to be able to let me download ML. And yes, once I can download ML, then I'll create a whole new VM to run that on...

One thing I have noticed with this and other guides, not sure if it is relevant, but for the type of IDE Controller, I don't have, and have never had regardless of the version of VB that I am running, ICH9 - I only have ICH6. Under systm/chipset - I have ICH9. I always make sure that is selected (which by default it is) but just want to make sure that inst an issue as I cant exactly duplicate those settings.

dmazar

dmazar

InsanelyMac Sage

• Coders
  • 274 posts
You can generate any smbios with Chameleon Wizard and use it. I've added iMac12,1 and App Store offers me to download previously purchased ML. I guess you would not have problems with that.

Chipset ICH9, IDE Controller ICH6 - same here. Does not causes issues.

Mr.D.

Mr.D.

• Local Moderators
  • 546 posts
To test - I tried to boot from the virtual box HD image w/o any changes after the install completed - and it fails. I'm stuck at the grey screen of blah... Is this an issue?

To test something that you stated lower - that I can switch kernels at any point - I tried /legacy_kernel and it reports that /legacy_kernel cant be found. /mach_kernel can, and I assume that is what it is using when it goes to the grey screen of blah.

Attached File  no other kernels.PNG   521.96KB   6 downloads

iFIRE

iFIRE

InsanelyMacaholic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts
use this boot flag: kernel=legacy_kernel :trumpet:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oracle, VirtualBox, Snow Leopard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy