Virtual Box and Snow Leopard *SUCCESS*

Mr.D.

75 posts in this topic

just tried it - got that boot1: error that I received before. and yes this is on the snapshot right after 10.6.8 was installed.

after your chameleon pkg.PNG

I'll try to find that version of Chameleon in case it is a zip error...

with the redownloaded but same version of chameleon and flags.PNGwith the redownloaded but same version of chameleon and flags 2.PNG

Those are with the redownloaded version in your zip file... I had to RDP to my desktop and run VB just to capture that stupid screen!

Let's try something different; from CMD run the following:

VBoxManage modifyvm "<yourvirtualmachinename>" --firmware efi64
VBoxManage setextradata "<yourvirtualmachinename>" VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"

Then retick the EFI box in the settings and try booting again.

brings me to the same place as the screenshots above. the commands executed successfully, then went back in and deselected the efi in the vm.

still hangs at starting darwin x86_64

it reenabled it with those commands you gave me... it was deselected before. I have reenabled it and the boot is SUPER slow - and doesnt get past the oracle VirtualBox splash screen - just like it hasn't every time I have selected the efi option. It stays at the splash screen for a minute, then to the black screen of suck.

well - perhaps I have been impatient before because this just popped up:

after enble efi.PNG

it took three minutes to get there, but something finally happened. I have to step away for 90min to 2 hours, so I'll let it stew and see if anything else pops up.

Booted with BL.

The rm command failed.

Then I tried sudo rm - success, but...

... when I booted the same thing happened, in the same location.

*head scratch*

So I rebooted with the BL, and went tot the directory and moved the file to the trash. I noticed the mod date for the file was yesterday, so I knew it hadn't be rebuilt from the time that I suposedly rebuilt it till the reboot.

I rebooted, switched the VM stuff back...

... and after a really long time I got this:

unknown4 of getvar called.PNG

Well - nothing. I did have SRWare Iron as my browser because its the cat's ass, but I had been reading some things online about peoples issues with VB, and two of them came up a lot - one was 32 vs 64 and the other was a downgraded version 4.1.8 of VB. SO I decided to try both. First, I created a new VM but not selecting the 64bit part when creating it. No luck, all bad. So then I decided to start over - from the beginning. I uninstalled VB 4.1.22 and went with .8 but, I got the same damn errors. In both cases. So I knew that wasn't MY issue at least. I then re-installed the newer version of VB (choose 4.2 this time) and installed the VM. For some reason I had a hell of a time getting a bootloader to not give me the OS VERSION NOT YET SET error, but I finally got it to work with (NawCom) OSX86_ ModCD-031111-171757. I previously used just the generic nawcomModCD, but for some reason, it wasn't happening last night - at like 2 am.

I have it installed now, just the bare system with NOTHING else on it. But I cant get it to map an SMB server to get my files. I'm thinking something about that particular bootloader wasn't playing nice and now its disabled. I am burning a CD now, and I'll play with SMB later. My idea is to get the files copied to the machine (by files I mean my 1001 different versions of Chameleon), take a snapshot so I don't ever have to do that again - then muck around with getting some flavor of Chameleon installed. With your tips, I feel confident that I can get 10.6.8 installed at any time. I want the SMBios to work so I can then go get MountainLion and start this whole clusterfƱ¢Җ all over again!

I was warned this would be painful - and they were right. I think I'd rather play with this then do this all over again.

after failed chameleon 2 rc3 r658, which looks like its specifically for snow leopard, I tried Chimera 1.11.1 (against my better judgment) and it failed, then tried myHack 3.1.2 and I was able to pull these screen shots - there were more screens, but these seemed important. I can capture every screen if that would help.

after myHack 1.PNGafter myHack 2.PNGafter myHack 3.PNG

here is the log file from my most recent version of chameleon to install...

chameleon 2.1svn-r2064 log.PNG

and it stops in exactly the same place.

I dont think this is a chameleon issue, and I dont think its a VB issue. The only two variables that have NOT changed are me and my hardware.

SO now the question is: is it a PEBCAK error, or is it that my machine is too new/awesome to do this? The last option would be bittersweet - because I cant even GET ML w/o being able to upgrade this VM to 10.6.8 and have the app store be able to verify it.

Is it me? What did I do wrong? Why do you hate me VirtualBox and SnowLeopard? WHY?? WHY???

Some time ago I have installed Lion following pippox0's guide from here. Did not have any issues. Installed Chameleon to VBox drive and all works fine. EFI mode also. Have SnowLeo and ML there also for tests, but those were installed by copying my existing disk images from real disks, did not try to install inside VBox. Maybe to check VM parameters from pippox0's guide?

Edit: For debugging bootloader problems use DarwinDumper. Just check "Disk, partitions and loaders option" and post resulting file here.

What we need

a) an Intel Core Duo2 Host computer ( mine Optiplex 760)

Windows XP or win7 (I use WinXp 32bit to run Virtualized OSX Lion 64bit on VB)

Needed (VT-x) enabled on Bios PC

2GB of phisical Ram or more

VirtualBox 4.0.4 or later

B) Hackintosh running Mac Os X to create Lion.dmg and iso

Look at my New Post [Easy Guide] more over on this discussion....

0. Create OSX Lion DVD

------------------------

Follow any guide here in the forum

I followed MalD0n Guide

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=256729

To boot Lion in VMM OSinstall.mpkg must be patched ... because inside there is a check for virtualization ...

->Copy OsInstall.mpkg from /System/Installation/Packages to Desktop

open it with Flat Package Editor

drag the file "distribution" somewhere (Desktop will do)

open "distribution" in a text editor and find "virtualization Check" inside

Find this ...

-----------

function isVirtualMachine(){

var cpuFeatures = system.sysctl( 'machdep.cpu.features' );

cpuFeatures=cpuFeatures.split(" ");

for( var i = 0; i < cpuFeatures.length; i++ ){

if( cpuFeatures == "VMM" ){

return true;

}

}

return false;

-------------

-> Change from true to false

if( cpuFeatures == "VMM" ){

return false;

and save "distribution"

drag back the file "distribution" in Flat Package Editor

Save mpkg and drag back to /System/Installation/Packages

Remember that, if you have only 2 Gb Ram on Host computer , also to modify MinimumRAM needed from 2048 to 1024 or lower in the file "distribution" before you copy back )

that's all !

00) Create ISO from DMG

Inside DMG copy olso Mach_kernel and KernelCache

Hint : You have to recreate DVD Hybrid ISO using terminal and

hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -hfs -o OSXLion.iso Lion.dmg

1. Create virtual machine:

--------------------------

VM Name and OS Type

* Name: OSX Lion

* Operating System: Mac OS X

* Version: Mac OS X Server (64 bit)

* enable virtualization in BIOS HOST computer (VT-x)

* Memory 1024 MB (minimum)

* Virtual Disk Size: 20GB (or more)

* Boot Order: CD/DVD-ROM, Hard Disk

* Extended Features: Enable IO APIC

* Extended Features: Enable EFI

2. Set Option in VM

-----------------------

Enable Hardware clock in UTC time

Enable absolute pointing device

Display Video Memory: 32 MB

Extended Features: Enable 3D Acceleration

Storage SATA controller for HDD image Type: AHCI

IDE Controller for CD/DVD device Type: ICH9

Audio Host Audio: Windows Direct Sound

Audio Controller: Intel HD Audio

Network

* Enable Network Adapter

* Attached to: NAT

* Adapter Type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)

* Cable connected

3. Installation

---------------

Download HackBoot.iso from Mald0n guide to boot Lion ( we needed it later)

http://www.insanelym...p...st&id=94070

Link osxLion.iso to DVD emulation and run Virtual Machine

- Choose the language you want

- Choose Disk Utility in the menu Utilities

- Choose the VBOX Hard Disk, put the name OSXLion and press Erase button

partition scheme GUID and HFS+ journaled

- When finished close the Disk Utility and continue

- Now you should be able to choose the formated drive and then choose install button

- Now it should install OSX Lion on your volume (Notice that it will take ~15 min to finish!)

4. Post Installation

--------------------

To be able to start Lion you have to use “Hackboot.iso”

remove Enable EFI flag from VB

Boot HacBoot on DVD emulation

- Choose OSXLion HD and press Enter

- Create user ....

- Now we have to delete /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist file.

- now using Kexthelper install these Kexts

* fakesmc.kext

* nullCPUPowermanagenent.kext

- Shutdown VM ( if it does'nt close VM)

- Re Enable EFI flag , that you find under Settings - System

- remove HackBoot.iso from DVD emultation

- Start OSXLion

Greetings to every geek on this forum

Enjoy your lion on VB!

PippoX0

Note:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

everything works !! :Audio OK, networl OK , video OK ( No Qe/CI - i have tested ..)

Appstore Works ..., LaunchPad works , ecc. i also tested Server.app and works ..

You can also choose to update your OSX Lion (downloaded last Apple patches and works ...)

VB_Lion.JPG

What I dont have is:

an Intel Core2 duo processor - I have an i5-3570k IvyBridge. This may be a big issue.

A working hackintosh to create the .dmg file

the ability for the VM to boot from a USB stick - which is what is required using the referenced guide by MalDOn in topic 256729.

HackBoot.iso FAILS to load at all in VB for me - stuck at Boot Args: bootuuid=1ca47655-13E3-3073-A102-7B9CEC98BFEC rd=*uuid -v

By the way - I tried HackBoot.iso, HackBootv7.iso and HackBootv5.iso

Some time ago I have installed Lion following pippox0's guide from here. Did not have any issues. Installed Chameleon to VBox drive and all works fine. EFI mode also. Have SnowLeo and ML there also for tests, but those were installed by copying my existing disk images from real disks, did not try to install inside VBox. Maybe to check VM parameters from pippox0's guide?

Edit: For debugging bootloader problems use DarwinDumper. Just check "Disk, partitions and loaders option" and post resulting file here.

How do I use the darwindumper app on my darwin that fails to load? all this will tell me is about the bootloader .iso that IS working, not the one that fails to boot. Unless I am missing something and it will generate a file even w/o successful boot, then I can re-enable the iso chameleon bootloader and view the file?? This app seems more for somebody with config issues, not with outright FAIL issues.

I can definately NOT get the EFI to work. I have tried several ways, including those listed above and NONE work at all. I dont understand why it works for other but not on my system.

If the problem truly is SnowLeopard/my hardware - how do I get a legit copy of Lion, or even ML to run with w/o being able to upgrade my SL install to 10.6.8 and have the app store read my system specs correctly?

I appreciate the suggestions!! Have any more??

I am at a total loss here. I started over and it just seemed to make things even more flaky. I have 2 VMs installed. One is my testing, and the other was generic. I'm using the afore mentioned nawcom ModCD to boot, but sometimes - and only sometimes - it hangs here:

why.PNG

Why? it makes no sense that this isn't even a CONSISTENT error... much less so why its hanging at that particular spot.

I am nearly ready to say forget it and stop with this project completely.

so I decided to try installing 10.6.8 again - using the previous successful methoud. This time it failed here:

new error after 10.6.8 upgrade.PNG

I dont even know what to say. I did EVERYTHING the same as I did before. Last time it worked, this time it fails. Now I cant even do the upgrade that gets me nothing in the first place.

... just one more thing to add on to the pile of {censored} that doesn't make any sense at all.

I am about 24 hours away from resolving myself to never getting better than 10.6.3.

Just for a recap of what I have learned I CANT do:

I cant integrate any version of Chameleon/Clover into my vanilla 10.6.3 VM

I cant reliably upgrade to 10.6.8

I cant get the App Store to recognize my machine specs (or fake specs for that matter) on the one instance that was successful

I cant download 10.(greater than)6.8 to try for a new VM

I cant use EFI

Use 64bit kernel

Here is what I can do:

Install 10.6.3 in 32bit mode and forever boot with a bootloader.

Unless anyone else has some suggestions - this work in progress is halted.

an Intel Core2 duo processor - I have an i5-3570k IvyBridge. This may be a big issue.

Probably. Not something that I understand very well, but I would say that you need patched kernel. And you need to install it to your SL disk to be able to boot it without CD (iso). Patched kernel is probably on CD, but not on your SL disk.

How do I use the darwindumper app on my darwin that fails to load? all this will tell me is about the bootloader .iso that IS working, not the one that fails to boot. Unless I am missing something and it will generate a file even w/o successful boot, then I can re-enable the iso chameleon bootloader and view the file?? This app seems more for somebody with config issues, not with outright FAIL issues.

If you can boot, then you can run it. It should list all installed bootloaders - it does not matter how you started the system. But, maybe the problem is actually this patched kernel.

I can boot, but not with chameleon integrated into my install. I can only boot with a bootloader.

And I cant patch the kernel without a working hackintosh or even better, a real mac, to patch it with. And I couldn't patch it because SN was never designed to run on this new of hardware. So I'm back to relying on hacks - which I have tried and all fail.

OHHHH - and I forgot! I cant even BUY a newer copy of OSX to run on my newer hardware becasue I cant get the old hardware to recognize properly on the App Store.

Dig a hole. Fill in that hole. Dig a hole. Fill in that hole.

Probably. Not something that I understand very well, but I would say that you need patched kernel. And you need to install it to your SL disk to be able to boot it without CD (iso). Patched kernel is probably on CD, but not on your SL disk.

No, the i5 should work just fine without a modified kernel. The only issue that could be thrown up would be the kext removal of ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from within /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.

I dont even know what to say. I did EVERYTHING the same as I did before.

Didn't miss the ACPI stuff or anything? Did you update from 10.6.3 again?

I did the update AGAIN only in the sense that I ran the update sequence on a second Virtual Machine running 10.6.3 (as this is the only version I can legitimately purchase) for the first time.

I used the same instructions that you posted before, and modified that .kext file, then copied that and the other 4 as-is .kext files back to their proper locations.

Listing of blacklisted kexts from some earlier screenshot is from modified kernel. How i see it: You have patched kernel on your boot iso that can run 10.6.3, but not 10.6.8. And you did not copied that patched kernel to SL volume and then you can not boot without cd (iso).

Search with google shows this: http://www.osx86.net/view/3047-ivy_bridge_kernel_for_snow_leopard_10.6._...html

I think you shoul replace your /mach_kernel with the one from the link and try.

Chameleon is a bootloader. And again, it does not matter how you started osx - you can always start DarwinDumper and collect it's findings.

Listing of blacklisted kexts from some earlier screenshot is from modified kernel. How i see it: You have patched kernel on your boot iso that can run 10.6.3, but not 10.6.8. And you did not copied that patched kernel to SL volume and then you can not boot without cd (iso).

Search with google shows this: http://www.osx86.net...d_10.6._...html

I think you shoul replace your /mach_kernel with the one from the link and try.

Chameleon is a bootloader. And again, it does not matter how you started osx - you can always start DarwinDumper and collect it's findings.

No, the i5 should work just fine without a modified kernel. The only issue that could be thrown up would be the kext removal of ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from within /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.

So which is it? It works fine in VirtualBox without modifying the kernel or I need to modify the kernel? 2 post w/in 6 hours of each other directly contradict each other? So which post do I go with?

My boot iso is whichever bootloader I can manage to get working - which if you see my previous posts, sometimes it will work and others, the exact same bootloader will fail. None of the bootloaders that I have successfully used have specified snowleopard specifically. I have tried specific snowleopard chameleon packages though w/o success.

To see about darwindumper, I will create a new VM, run darwin dumper, (attempt to) install chameleon and replace the mach kernel and then run darwindumper again on the modified system, both with it attempting to boot from the disk image, and with it booting from the bootolader that I will inevitability have to use again. I will be curious to see the results as I can't image how a program designed to track the boot process will report anything from a failed chameleon install that is installed to the virtual disk image while booting from a bootloader iso.

I have some time tomorrow A.M. so I'll try it then.

Well, it looks like you'll have to try. This is a chance to dig deeper and learn few things more.

I have Sandy Bridge and I can not run 10.6.3 without patched kernel because 10.6.3 does not have support for Sandy. And then no support for your Ivy also. When I was installing 10.6.3, I had to use patched kernel. 10.6.8 have support for Sandy, and obviously not for Ivy. Meaning - you can run it only with modified kernel. You may be lucky since stinga11 offered one on the posted link.

Lion also does not support your Ivy until 10.7.5, but you will probably not need Lion since you (maybe) will be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion from 10.6.8.

About boot loaders ...

Chameleon is a bootloader. What you call bootloader is your boot CD. Your ModCD contains Chameleon bootloader + patched (legacy) kernel for 10.6 + many kexts that would make many boards working when booted like this. You can open your ModCD.iso (double click on it) and you can then examine what's in there.

/usr/standalone/i386/cdboot - this is your Chameleon boot file, for booting from CD

/Extra/Preboot.dmg - will be loaded as RAMdisk when Chameleon starts (this allows ejecting CD and inserting another one in while keeping all Chameleon's stuff in memory) - all stuff is in there

/Extra/Preboot.dmg/Extra:

- com.apple.Boot.plist - Chameleon's config

- legacy_kernel - modified kernel to run on unsupported CPU

- Extensions.mkext - archive of kexts that will be loaded (you can use KextWizard to unpack it and see what's in there)

All in all, booting from CD can do many things that are not so obvious. In your case - boots your SL with patched kernel (legacy_kernel), plus loads tons of extra kexts (which you probably do not need). If you want to boot from a disk, then you need to replace original /mach_kernel with patched one. Although, since your main goal is to upgrade to ML, you probably do not need this - you can continue booting from CD. You can always install Chameleon to the disk once you install ML (you will not need patched kernel then).

There is a guy "who's-name-should-not-be-mentioned-because-he-steals-other-people's-work-but-who-prepares-good-tools-and-guides-to-make-install-easy-as-possible" - following his methods and tools would be much easier. But that's probably not your option.

• Like 1

funny you mention "he-who-shall-not-be-named" because I did, for the sake of understanding what my issues were and to exhaust all possible options, use those tools and also was unable to make them work.

Slept in today (finally) and I'll get to work on the new VM right now. I really do hope your suggestions work and I'm willing to try anything - especially since all the previous suggestions did not work and yours is different.

Will post more when I know more...

The first time being the time I was successful in the upgrade to 10.6.8? I was never able to use an integrated Chameleon to boot to it, always had to use a booloader .iso disc so whatever information it was handing off from its built-in version of Chameleon to Darwin was what I was using even when the system did upgrade to 10.6.8.

I'm glad my two biggest helpers on this thread are now in sync - that was worrisome that there were different opposite views on what to do.

VM almost done being built... will post more when I know more.

**EDIT**

Guess I cant put this in a new post... keeps forcing me to edit my current one. *sigh*

I do know something more...

This error isnt starting off the process very good:

KP running DD on virgin system.PNG

this is the second thing I did to the VM - the first being opening up the smb share to my windows box to go get this file.