It's decision time, your opinions can help...

67 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm about to take the plunge and buy a Mac. First time, ever, coming from a PC/Windows background of basically my entire computing career - which started in 1975 when I built an Altair from a Heathkit kit, but that's another story.

So, here's the deal:

My Mom died recently and the family home/property was sold off. I was told it might be a year before any claims would be satisfied against the value of the home/property, but apparently things worked out better than expected and sometime next week I'll be getting a check in the 5-figure neighborhood. Sad to say I'm going to be spending money from the loss of my Mom, but I guess I'll put it to good use for myself and my still relatively newly wed Wife.

Anyway, I'm stuck on a decision of what to get, and here are the two choices I've come down to. These are the basics just to get started; I'll consider upgrades to the RAM and hard drives at a later time, but for now the basics are between these two "packages":

1) A 13" white MacBook stock laptop and a 17" iMac desktop (two computers)...

or...

2) A 13" black MacBook stock with the option to boost the RAM/hard drive during the buy...

Either of these packages will end up costing me roughly the same amount of money, around $2200-ish give or take a hundred bucks or two just for the systems themselves as outlined above.

The reasoning for two machines is that I'm going to start working as a "one man PC/Mac onsite repair d00d" since that's the kind of stuff I've been doing for my entire career. But now that Macs are finally on the Intel platform and people can run Windows in dual boots or even inside Parallels (and the upcoming VMWare for Mac also), that means more business is about to come down the pike for guys like me that excel in making this stuff look easy to normal Joes that just bought new Macs.

With two machines, I'd always have one at home with a larger LCD for doing stuff like movies, etc. The boost in screen real estate is very important to me since I'm sick to death of XGA (1024x768). The fact that I'd have more resolution for more apps open without having to constantly rearrange stuff so I can see it is a big bonus in this.

Another benefit to the machine at home concept is that with customer data on the laptop, I plan to get EVDO service (and yes, I know the MacBooks don't have the Express Card slots, that's something I'm trying to work around now; perhaps I might have to get a MacBook Pro after all just because of that aspect) and then I'd have the machine at home as the "server" so all my main data is safe and sound just in case something happens to the laptop in the field. I'd be wired up with a remote client anytime I'm out in the field, always in touch with the home machine and able to get data/send data/backup/etc direct to the "safe" one at home.

Here's one side-package, sorta:

3) Get the 13" black MacBook stock ($1499) and find a decent 19-20" widescreen LCD that can do 1440x900 - the resolution I'd prefer to have. Anything over that is gravy, really, so I'm still open to this package consideration.

I'd love to max out the RAM on whatever I buy so I started price shopping and found 2x1GB (for 2GB total) SODIMMs for $199, the 667 MHz RAM the MacBooks require for best performance. Thought that was a great price compared to the $500!?!?!?! Apple is trying to brush off if I let them install it. No way in hell. ;)

Also, getting a 7200 rpm drive is crucial for performance to me. I know some of the most current 5400 rpm drives equal or even outperform 7200 rpm drives in certain benchmarks (due most likely to platter density, etc), I'd prefer to just get a 7200 rpm drive from the gitgo and never worry about it again.

I'm not doing this because "I'm a switcher," I'm doing it because I know that by getting a MacBook I can have the best of both possible operating system platforms - and do it legally since I own several copies of Windows in various editions: 98SE, 2K, XP Home and Pro, 2K3, etc...

As an "onsite" tech that goes to customer's homes or businesses to provide face-to-face support, having such a laptop - both platforms in one unit - allows me to handle most any needs that would come up, including the cool ability to use one Mac as a target drive for another which would definitely help bigtime in troubleshooting problems.

The downsides:

Package 1 would be two machines almost literally for the cost of the one black MacBook maxed out RAM and hard drive-wise. The downside to this package is really nothing that I can see. Hell, at home with both machines, I could even use both at the same time with that cool Xgrid thing for distributed computing; at least I think I can.

Soooo... lemme know what you think about the choices, considering these factors:

- Mobility is a must, but having a "base of operations" would be cool too (package 1)

- Maxing out the machine is obviously a good thing, but do it at buying time or do it myself

- Package 3 is an option also, but then it becomes a choice of which LCD and that's a whole 'nother can of worms

Gimme your best shots, if you please. I'll be making a decision not only from the opinions and responses I get in this thread, but price shopping, etc etc all over the place.

Thanks!

bb

ps

Also, what do you all think of AppleCare? Is it worth the cost to have that kind of coverage where if something drastic goes wrong I can just take it into the Apple Store here in Vegas where I plan to buy it and pretty much get a new one on the spot? Let me know what's on your mind, thanks...

Sorry to hear about your mom, best wishes.

As you say, you will be using these machines to make some income, therefore:

I would definitely get 2 machines. You package 1 comes closest. I would also get Applecare, should a machine need repairs, you don't want to be spending money later for that. And it's good to have another machine when one is in for repairs.

The only concern I have with your package 1, is should the macbook need to go in for repairs, the iMac, while a nice machine, is not very portable to take out to customers.

This is what I would do:

1 Macbook Pro 15" (expresscard 34)

1 Macbook 13"

1 19" LCD montor for use with the Macbook 13" at home.

If the Macbook Pro needs repair, then in a pinch you can take out the Macbook.

That's only my opinion though.

Sorry to hear about your mother. My new wife and I lived with her grandmother (No making fun, some do make fun and I don't understand it. It was a choice we both made, she was an alstimers(sp?) patient) and then 2 weeks ago, she died. It was hard, even on me. Sorry for the loss.

Actually why not get a supped up Macbook, nice LCD and a Mac Mini? The starter Mini is $599 but you can go to 1.83 Core Duo, with superdrive and a gig of ram for $874.00. I mean the ONLY thing the iMac will give you is a built in ATI X1600. To get nice 20 inches, you need $1499 BASE, with NO ram upgrade. So if you need NO gaming or higher end 3d stuff, then stay away from the iMac. It is like when the Macbook and Macbook Pro's came out. So many went Pro and didn't need it and then kicked themselves.

Just make a decision on 3d needs, then you can pick either the iMac or the Mac Mini.

Thanks for the replies so far.

And actually, I had never considered the possibility of getting a mini, that would be a package 4 I guess:

4) MacBook + external LCD + mini = package 1 with a twist, and if the MacBook chokes for some reason, the mini would be transportable up to a point with use of the customer's monitors for video.

Interesting... guess it's time to start doing research again. :censored2:

bb

br0adband -

I can tell you from getting this exact config (except with a 20" iMac) that 2 is definitely the way to go... and in fact I think you'd be unhappy if you didn't have both. They both fit different areas of my lifestyle and both are equally important. The iMac has the power that I need and the MacBook is quite portable.

Also, check eBay for the MacBook - I saved about 500 bucks on a good deal for mine. Another option is Apple Refurbs for the iMacs - the Core Duo versions are really cheap right now.

Sorry to hear about your mom, best wishes.

As you say, you will be using these machines to make some income, therefore:

I would definitely get 2 machines. You package 1 comes closest. I would also get Applecare, should a machine need repairs, you don't want to be spending money later for that. And it's good to have another machine when one is in for repairs.

The only concern I have with your package 1, is should the macbook need to go in for repairs, the iMac, while a nice machine, is not very portable to take out to customers.

This is what I would do:

1 Macbook Pro 15" (expresscard 34)

1 Macbook 13"

1 19" LCD montor for use with the Macbook 13" at home.

If the Macbook Pro needs repair, then in a pinch you can take out the Macbook.

That's only my opinion though.

yep, ido go for that, and if you want to update the ram on the laptop and harddrive then you still can at a later date and still have the other system (and that would probly be cheeper). or that guy's idea but youd be possibly short on hdd space on that

deeply sorry for your loss..

for the package,

i choose package no. 4 then.. considering you"only" need server at home and backup data etc..

for the LCD,

i recommend you to look over Chimei (CMV)Product, it says grade "A" product with cheap price. You can find it somewhere in newegg/other online store i believe.

and sorry for my english :(

Ok, after beating my head with a stick (figuratively speaking) for two days now, I had to come to the realization that upgradeability is a must, and because of that...

I'll be getting a 15" MacBook Pro very soon.

The need for the Express Card slot and the larger LCD in the MacBook Pro are the deciding factors over a regular MacBook. I plan to get EVDO service from Verizon Wireless and the MacBook simply doesn't seem to offer a solution that's workable. So-called USB EVDO adapters are reported to have a lot of issues, and I'm not interested in issues, I just want everything to work so I don't have to worry about it.

Also, I'll be maxing out the RAM, I will probably get a larger hard drive and 7200 rpm but not from Apple, they charge entirely too much for their rather simplistic upgrades. So 2GB maxed out for RAM and maybe a 120 or 160GB drive soon enough.

The Wife is on her own now, I told her she has to find the laptop she wants and we'll get it - I'm not going to answer questions or provide advice to her. She has to pick the one she wants and that'll be that.

And I'll be getting a 20" LCD of some kind, for 1680x1050 viewing pleasure, maybe a 23" if I can possibly find one for a respectable price. We'll see what happens.

Just keeping you folks posted... and I'll be adding other goodies too like the iPod, cases for the iPod and the MBP, an external hard drive of considerable proportions (Firewire and USB capable), and some other stuff.

I said to my Wife this might be the one chance in many years we get to just splurge and get exactly what we really want, so let's go all out and get the hardware that will last us - and we'll be getting the extended care plans for the laptops we buy also so that's a non-issue too: if they break, we take 'em back and get new ones or free repairs.

bb

Sounds like a good plan.

I know that people will always say to wait for something just around the corner, but I'd highly suggest waiting the few weeks (likely) until the MBP gets Core 2 Duo. It might even happen this week, and if you're planning on having this one for a long time, it'll make it more future proof.

Oh I'm well aware of what they might announce tomorrow (it's now Sunday as I'm typing this), and yes I'd be interested in getting a C2D MacBook Pro if the price remains the same.

All I can do now is wait... both for the money and Apple. But I won't wait long - if they don't announce new laptops on Monday, then I'm buying just what's on the market now.

I spent a few hours on Saturday reading about 15 different reviews of current Core 2 Duo laptops that were tested against Core Duo ones, even a few where they literally just replaced the CPU so the benchmarks were done on the exact same hardware and only the CPU was different, a very cool thing to be able to do since C2D is supposed to be "droppable" into current CD sockets. I know MacBooks are soldered on hence the need for Apple to retool in some respects.

The benchmarks and tests showed improvements, of course, but the battery life stayed pretty much the same which is to be expected I guess. Some tests, like the video encoding ones, showed noticeable gains of up to 20% or so. It reminds me of the Pentium days: once the Pentiums hit a certain speed, they released the "MMX upgrade" which meant buying a new processor in some respects for merely a 10% boost in performance.

Intel did the same thing many years ago with the 386SX/386DX and the 486SX/DX. The SX CPUs didn't have the math coprocessor enabled - it was on the die but disabled. Then came the DX series, which was the exact same processor only they enabled the math coprocessor. By doing so, Intel basically sold millions of CPUs that were hamstrung from the factory for no good reason other than to wait a few months after the SX series was released to say "Hey, check this out, it's a new CPU and it's faster and all you have to do is buy it and drop it in and your performance will skyrocket."

It'd be like buying a car without a steering wheel, then forced to replace the entire car to get the "new" model that comes with a steering wheel stock.

Kinda lame, but that's how Intel became the CPU King of the world. :)

So let's hope Steve-o has something good to say on Monday. I've talked with a bunch of people I've known for a while now, about 15 of them work in Apple Stores around the country. Almost all of them have hinted to me that the expected shipments of all MacBooks (MB and MBP) last week didn't come in as expected - they're on a delay until nearly the end of September. Is this a good sign?

It could be. If Apple is trying to get the C2D laptops out to stores in quantity, putting holds on the older models in shipment would allow the shippers to now focus primarily on getting the new ones into the stores so when Steve-o says "And it's available, today, in Apple Stores or online" they'll be ready to roll. If this happens, I fully expect them to sell out fast, probably even before I get the funds, but I'll do what I have to do.

bb

Yanno, sometimes I hate making buying decisions.

The biggest thing, aside from that 15.4" 1440x900 LCD, about the MacBook Pro that I wanted was 'future proofing' in terms of some form of upgradeability for additional features - meaning that Express Card slot for EVDO service so I can be mobile and have broadband wireless Internet access anywhere in Las Vegas (or anywhere in the US, for the most part).

I spent time as noted in posts above doing research to find out if some form of USB EVDO adapter was available. That was the selling point on the MBP to me: the ability to add EVDO support in some form or another.

So I made the posting above about the final decision and felt comfortable with it even knowing I'll be spending an arm and a leg to get basically the same power that a black MacBook offers - and with that Express Card slot for EVDO stuff.

Well, as luck would have it, I found a USB device that many people are having great luck with. And because of it (it's backordered 3 ways from Sunday it's so popular) I believe I'll have to revise my decision now and...

Get the black MacBook and max it out. :D

Talk about "switching," I tell ya.

Apparently Apple in their infinite forward thinking perspective (or Steve-o's famed 'reality distortion field') decided to add EVDO support directly into the 10.4.7 kernel. This is meaningless to all of us using OSx86 on regular PCs since we're all stuck with the 10.4.4 kernel - but I'm buying a real Mac for the first time in my life and lo and behold, Apple stuck EVDO support right into the heart of it.

WAY TO GO APPLE!!!

Why I didn't discover this info in my hours of research the other day is beyond me. Guess fate intervened and just made my searches and keywords come up short. Regardless, as of this moment, it looks like my "decision" above is now rescinded and the purchase will be a 13.3" black MacBook with maxed out RAM (again, I'll do that myself) and possibly a larger hard drive at 7200 rpm if I can locate a decent one here in town when it comes to buying time.

Personally I can't stand buying stuff online even if it's cheaper: I pay for it, I want it right then and there. Besides, buying locally is easier if the hardware is defective; returning items through the mail can sometimes be a complete {censored}.

For those that might be interested, here's a link about Apple's addition of EVDO to the kernel:

EVDO Support in the 10.4.7 Kernel

And here's the linkage for information about the USB EVDO adapter I'm looking forward to owning and using with my "BlackBook:"

CDU-550 EVDO USB Modem by Franklin

Also, the Wife finally made her decision on a ThinkPad (branded with the Lenovo name only however, but it's the same hardware in a slightly different case). She chose a Lenovo 3000 N100 with the following specs:

- Core Duo at 1.66 GHz

- 1GB of PC2-5300 (DDR5300, runs at 667 MHz just like the MacBook/MBP RAM does)

- 15.4" WXGA screen 1280x800

- 80GB 5400 rpm drive, not sure if it's SATA though, if not I have an 80GB 7200 rpm Hitachi I'll put in it for her

- dual layer burner

- 11a/b/g Wi-Fi card

- the rest is common: 10/100 NIC/56K/etc

So, we're set for now. I sound kinda wishy-washy when I make these types of decisions, but thanks to "that thar Intarweb" and more information, my decision is now set in stone, I swear.

:)

bb

Well, the choice of black was because I intended to have the entire outer shell sandblasted down to the bare surface and painted with about 15 coats of Hummer Yellow glossy paint, then several layers of a hard sealing glossy finish. So when it's closed all you see is Hummer Yellow, but when you open it, the entire area is black. Just wanted to make it one of a kind, I guess.

So, the money arrived today... YIPPEEEEEEE!!!

So, the bank said it's a personal check and the money will be in your account next Monday... {censored}!!!

That's about how it went. I felt high as a kite for a short period of time with the check in my pocket and then slammed right into the Earth itself when they said "Here, have $100 in cash, you'll get the rest next week." Talk about pissed.

In today's world of instantaneous money transactions, there was no reason whatsoever to prevent me from dropping half the money into a checking account and cashing out the rest so the Wife and I could go play around and get the stuff we've been dreaming about for a few years.

Sad to say, the bank doesn't give a {censored} and I'm sure the money was transferred to their network in a few seconds and then they'll float it for the next 5-6 days making money off it and interest while I sit here twiddling my freakin' thumbs.

Oh well, that's life.

Anyway, I'm disappointed that Apple didn't announce new MacBooks or MBPs today, but that's life also.

The Wife and I had a discussion about what we both wanted and what we both planned to do, and because of that discussion, my decision (actually our decision now) has changed, and we're going with the following setup next week when I've got my money finally:

2 Mac minis, one for her, one for me. Presently I think we might just get the $599 model for her, and the $799 model for me. She doesn't have a need for a DVD burner, I do. We'll max out the minis with 2GB of RAM each from a third party somehow. I have to find a Mac mini service manual or find some forum threads with info about opening up Mac minis because I'm damned sure not paying Apple their overpriced bloated service fees to put 2GB in each, that would skyrocket the cost for no good damned reason.

The second part of this is we'll both be getting 22" Samsung 225BW widescreen LCDs. We got a chance to check one out earlier this evening (Monday since it's now Tuesday as I type this) and I gotta say, dammit I wish I had one right now. Amazing monitors, great clarity even hooked up to the crappy VGA port on the HP desktop it was attached too. Brighter than any other LCD sitting beside it, and... well...

It's 22" of big widescreen lovin'... you figure it out. :D

So, for the cost of my MacBook maxed out with a few goodies thrown in for good measure (roughly $2400-2500 was my expected cost for the one single notebook when I was done with it), now we'll have two complete working computers that are Vista ready and compatible across the board and 22" widescreen LCDs to boot for just about the same price - $2400-2600 or so as I'm figuring it.

I'll worry about getting a MacBook or MBP later on this year when and if Apple announces them at some point. I think the C2D models are worth waiting for, even if Apple forces all of us to sit on our asses and wait clean till January and MacWorld.

Hopefully they won't, but I'll be waiting, regardless.

So, unless I win a lottery that I didn't enter, or a poker tournament here in Vegas I didn't enter, or a slot machine decides to choose me as a big huge jackpot winner even if I didn't play, that's the decision and I'm sticking to it.

No more wishy-washy bb, I promise. :)

Have fun, always...

bb

Actually, that posting above from sandman just convinced me he's right:

I can get an external 16x DVD burner for roughly $75-100 depending on who makes it, get faster burning speeds by a longshot, also have the portability to have a burner I can take with me on service calls so I can back up customer's data before I even begin the job - I'll also be getting that huge external hard drive also.

This is going to work out GREAT... sandman, thanks for the tip, it's perfect.

bb

AWESOME!!! The Mac Mini's with duo cores are looking kick ass. I think I will get the $599 version and then add on a USB 2.0 DVD Burner. I could up the ram from Apple to 1 gig and be slap happy. That thing would handle all my non gaming needs. I would put it on top of my pc gaming tower and switch when needed. I have it pretty much planned out. Glad you decided. Congrats.

/me hates to do this... but... if he doesn't, chapel will probably complain...

So I changed my mind.

Again.

It's not that I don't want the Mac mini, really. It's a great machine, for what it is. It's priced competitively, for what it is. It'll work just great for the Wife and I for the stuff we do, for what it is.

But I'm a geek, and I want more.

So, with that, here's the new updated hopefully finalized in your face I swear to some higher power I won't change my mind again final decision as of 2:32AM 9/27/2006 Pacific Time:

I'm getting a 20" iMac, and the Wife is getting a 17" iMac. 2GB of RAM in each. Out the door, that's it, close up the shop, we're done, the fat lady has sung, etc etc ad nauseum.

I started chatting earlier on IRC and mentioned I was considering getting the 20.1" Samsung at 1680x1050 instead of the 22" Samsung at 1680x1050 for a $100 price difference and chapel, an IRC regular, brought up a few questions and then pointed me to the 20" iMacs.

At first I thought, ok, I've looked at these before, they're Core 2 Duo machines, the new ones, but t--- and that's when I thought I better take another look. It's been about 3 weeks or so since I last thought about getting an iMac - the 24" is a dream machine, really, but for me presently it's actually too large for me or my Wife, so the 20" was something I checked out weeks ago.

That was then, this is now.

Something I hadn't considered lately about the iMacs was that they might, they just might be using Merom Core 2 Duo processors... and as luck would have it, they are. All of them, from the 17" up to the 24". More power across the board, more L2 cache to crunch the numbers, and basically the rest of the iMac is the same.

So, considering I was going to purchase minis at 1.66 with 2GB of RAM and a 20" 1680x1050 LCD and a keyboard and a mouse and an external high speed DVD burner and an external large capacity hard drive and and iSight for each mini and... well, you get the point. I was going to put together packages that matched - one for the Wife, one for me, matched Mac minis across the board.

The cost? So far, the packages would have worked out to roughly $3400 or so, give or take maybe $200 either way.

Since chapel started hounding me, bothering me, throwing all these good ideas at me (just kidding, chapel, and thanks for the assist), I will now be getting pretty much all that hardware inside a 20" iMac and the 17" one for the Wife.

Total cost for the two iMacs with 2GB of RAM in each:

$3268.98 give or take a few bucks if my calculater figured the tax wrong.

So, that's it. No more. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I'm freakin' done man, stick me with a fork.

Seriously.

But then again...

:(

bb

Well glad you finally decided. I think you will be happy with the setup. Im glad your wife decided to go the mac route, she will not be disappointed.

Cant wait to hear how you like em. When I first got my macbook, well let me say you will understand.

I wouldnt mind a core 2 macbook though.. sniff.

Cool. Like I said, the MBP is ONLY for gaming or 3d acceleration. The MB is a great laptop and is all most need. So, you are going to just have the laptop and then hook it to the lcd and such? Just wondering on that.

You're only considering the specs. Some people think 13.3" is too small. Most want 15.4" at a higher res. Then there's the look. The MBP looks way more pro, the macbook looks like a toy.

After doing some more research and reaching a dead end since the Apple Store isn't open at the moment, here's revision 1.0101010101...

I'm going to get the 256MB X1600 in the 20" for me. It's only $75 more, and it'll guarantee me I never have to think about video issues at all: I do a lot of video work actually, so it'll finally be a non-issue - and gaming performance to boot.

Also, I'm going to forego the 2GB in each machine. They come with 1GB each (she's getting the upgraded 17" iMac with 1GB stock), and I've been reading over forums the past few hours and it seems if I BTO (Build To Order) through the Apple Store I can get the 2GB for $175 - but I'd end up buying it online and have to wait to get the iMacs shipped to our apartment which is simply unacceptable.

Doing the RAM upgrade in an Apple Store face-to-face at the time of purchase apparently does not come with the same price tag: some people have been quoted $300 or more per machine, so I'm definitely not interested in coughing up $600 more for some "Genius" to do a job I can do myself in 2 minutes with RAM I can get for less money someplace else.

So that about covers it. I'd love to just get the 2GB out the door and not think about it again, but I'll be visiting the Apple Store in Vegas again today and if they tell me it's $300+ to do it per machine, I'll pass and we'll just get the stock in the box brand new 20" and 17" and run home to have fun with 'em.

Now the question is: will they have 256MB X1600 versions in the store to sell out the door or... will they consider that another BTO option - and I'll just bet it is. If so, screw it, 128MB is fine. I just want to lay the cash on the counter, take the receipt and my iMacs and go home.

Hope it's not that expensive, but we'll see...

bb

ignorantcow, calling the Macbook a "toy" is kind of harsh. The iBooks looked that them and they were great for new pro users. Yes the pros have more screen size but are more to carry. Really in truely the only spec that makes a difference in performance/what you can run on the thing, is the graphics card.

bro0adband, how could you! You went with my suggestion! ;) After seeing the numbers, you are getting more powerful stuff. On the ram, I would probably stick with 1 gig. I have 1 gig in my pc and I have had no problems for years. The newer games are loading some and a stutter here and there, but if you don't game the gig is alot of memory. The only thing you would need 2 gig for is if you opened HUGE files and needed them stored in memory. If you upgrade the ram yourself, then you won't have Apple Care and probably void some warranty, so keep that in mind. Good luck on the iMacs.