Dell Inspiron 17R Notebook (Inspiron 7720) - Can run Mac OS X

Coasterghost

200 posts in this topic

Hi Saranted!

You can delete the NVDA* kexts when booting in safe mode...

Simply navigate to S/L/E and delete all NVDA kexts and also Geforce kext...

U do not need Graphics enabler if u have inserted the right Device id.... Edit the chameleon plist file accordingly... Set GraphicsEnabler=No

Repair permissions..

Reboot.

U shud b able to proceed.

Is there a way we cud get the battery management??

I tried AppleACPIplatform n AppleBatteryManagement kexts which worked fine but had some KPs....

Removed them.

• Like 1

The 384mb intel Graphics, is after the MB Pro late 2012 update, has nothing to do with the 10.8.2 update, had to reinstall, kept it in mind, and checked where it went wrong, just don't install that update, all is fine.

Btw, anyone noticed the notebook running extremely hot? Primarly the HDD's? When i convert video's, after about 30 minutes, i can not hold the notebook on my lap anymore, around 80 degrees, the HDD's it is. Edit: Error in the DSDT.

Edit: Also just noticed, usb 2.0 sticks are not recognized, 3.0 and other usb devices work, anyone else noticed something similar Reverting IOUSBFamily.kext solves it.

I have noticed a thing about my USB, i guess its working as USB 2.0!

I have an external Toshiba 1TB HDD which has an LED indicator. This indicator is illuminated to White light when connected to USB 2.0 and Blue Light when connected to USB 3.0.

On my Windows 8 installation, it shows Blue light when connected and on my Mac it shows white???

Hi everyone,

I haven't been here for a while and I'm surprised and very happy that you are progressing very fast on this project ! Congrats !

Since I saw this, I decided to reinstall Mountain Lion and almost everything works (no nVidia :( ) : wifi atheros, sleep,etc... (Thanks to the kext and the DSDT Lejenk posted)

By the way, @Lejenk, I tried your AppleHDA kext + Your DSDT (the DSDT is in the right location) and it didn't work : It seems like that it didn't recognize the audio in system profiler since I got "Intel High Definition Audio : 0"

I had to use VoodooHDA to get the audio working, but it's better to use a patched AppleHDA (besides I have to adjust the volume in the voodooHDA settings...)

Can you figure out what's wrong ? I used your last files and even tried to patch my own AppleHDA... I have the same IDT as you, 111d76e0 (Obvious since we have the same computer :P)

Thanks !

Hi ThibaultAnd,

So it only shows the Intel High Definition Audio?

Attached a screen of my profiler, the BoomDevice is an Audiobooster application called Boom.

Did you remove the VoodooHDA when installing AppleHDA?

And how did you install the AppleHDA?

Attached also my latest DSDT.

Extra included since the previous version:

- Atheros 9285

- Intel HD4000 (No more need for efi string)

Also cleaned up the last warning.

Also, even if we have the same model, hardware can differ :)

If the new files do not work, could you attach the codec.txt here?

I have noticed a thing about my USB, i guess its working as USB 2.0!

I have an external Toshiba 1TB HDD which has an LED indicator. This indicator is illuminated to White light when connected to USB 2.0 and Blue Light when connected to USB 3.0.

On my Windows 8 installation, it shows Blue light when connected and on my Mac it shows white???

Did you install any usb kexts? USB 3.0 should work fine.

post-1090626-0-65875800-1360511378_thumb.png

DSDT.aml.zip

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Hi Lejenk

I found my problem : I think it is Chameleon related because I don't have audio nor graphics (without EFI strings) when I boot with Chameleon (Installed on a USB stick because I have troubles on installing on the hard drive but I will figure it out by myself) but when I boot with the GRUB bootloader (also have Linux), it works (It boot in verbose mode but it is fine)

Anyway, Thanks for every work you did !

• Like 1

I tried to install Enoch And it gave me a boot0:error

My OSX partition (installed on a HDD) is active, I also tried Chameleon (or chameleon bootloader based like Chimera or Enoch as you suggested) manually and I get boot0:done then It quits and boot on the SDD :/

Any clues ? :)

Thanks !

Hey Lejenk!

Thanks for the reply!!

I am not using any IOUSBFamily kext.....

Also, there is another problem, I tried computer sleep by closing the lid.... It went smooth... and instantly woke up when lid was lifted..

everything was working but the Trackpad...

How can I fix this??

I am using Chimera Bootloader.

Thanks in advance! :)

Attached the controller i'm using. Works for me even after sleep. Don't know if it is because of the kext, but it is worth a try.

Any managed to use UEFI boot?

Called Dell today, first i had to do a bios update, well, i have A12, that could not be the problem, then he put me on hold, came back to me simply stating: "It does not work, and i can not help you, wait for a bios update."

Well that was something i figured out already ¬¬

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

I will give that a try n report here.. :)

BTW, about the USB 3 problem.... I have attached a screenshot on my USB device list..

It shows two USB High-Speed Bus (USB 2.0) and one USB Super-Speed Bus (USB 3.0)..

The problem is that there are no Hubs listed under USB Super-Speed Bus... everything I have attached is under the two USB High-Speed Bus..

The 1.0TB external HDD that I had attached with the system is shown as USB 3.0 external drive but works as USB 2.0 as indicated by the LED....

Dunno where I am goin wrong.... ! :wallbash:

Thanks for your continued help!! :D

Screenshot:

USB.tiff

USB.tiff

I don't even have the USB Super-Speed Bus listed. Think it is because i replace the IOUSBFamily.kext.

I've looked at the speeds between my USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices, they all work as USB 2.0, will have to look in to it when i have time. No solution at the moment, sorry :)

Bro, your ApplePS2Controller works... :) :) thanks!!

my trackpad is working after sleep :) :)

Anyone else trying this, please note: It works if its in S/L/E and doesn't work from Extra (at least for me).

About USB, no problem, we can manage that for the time...... hopefully u will get some time soon...!!! :)

Thanks for the help....

greatt!

But USB 2.0 devices won't work with this Kext??

hmmmm.... thats a hard choice.... only USB 2.0 or Only USB 3.0.....

They will work if they work now, they do not work for me without the lion iousbfamily.kext, has nothing to do with the kext i just uploaded. :)

Bro this did not work...

Also, the USB Super Speed Bus that was shown (although useless) in the System Information is gone.......

This worked for you, so should I have to use the IOUSBFamily that you are using???

I installed your kext in S/L/E...

Use the vanilla IOUSBFamily.kext, i'm using the one from 10.8.2 now, only problem is, it does not recognize the USB 2.0 storage devices.

Attached the Vanilla kext.

I also noticed, the USB device should not be connected when booting the system. It will either show as USB 2.0, or not show up at all.

I'm trying to modify the kext now, to make both devices work.

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip