• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

tutu101

tutu101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Picking this ultrabook up tomorrow. Have you made any further progress?

e.g. does Wireless work? What about the USB->Ethernet adapter provided? HDMI/mini-VGA? nvidia 620m?

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Picking this ultrabook up tomorrow. Have you made any further progress?

e.g. does Wireless work? What about the USB->Ethernet adapter provided? HDMI/mini-VGA? nvidia 620m?

I've been working on getting EFI booting via Clover working (no luck..yet) so I haven't had time to get back to the OS level and evaluate but here is my take:

- Intel WiFi is never going to work unless someone builds a driver. Card can be replaced but the replacement requires smaller (dual) antenna jacks to work with the build in antennas.
- Don't know about the USB->Ethernet jack, I haven't even unpacked it yet :) I'll plug this is under Windows and report what it sees.
- HDMI/mini-VGA *should* work with HD4000. Maybe zenlion can test/comment?
- nVidia 620m is questionable and switch-able graphics will probably take considerable DSDT work. I do hope to look into this aspect eventually.

lbowuc

lbowuc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

decided to tinker around with it a bit more:

- Keyboard wasnt working (I didnt even notice before! doh!), moved AppleACPIPlatform.kext / AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext from UB Stick to /E/E on ML partition, this enables keyboard again for me

- Got HD4000 working by adding the following to /E/org.chameleon.Boot.plist (I installed Chimera 1.11, with GraphicsEnabler=Yes its supposed to make HD4000 work but that didnt work for me, with the string below in plist it works for me):

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000002006601140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d31</string>

- Used an app called EasyTether to get Network up by tethering to an Android Phone, it fails the install at the end when installing the EasyTether.dmg, but it works anyway

Thats about as far as I can take it, this is my first hackintosh attempt and I have no clue where to look further, DSDT etc? Theres probably many things not working at this stage, but its a basic system with graphics enabled and network, hoping someone can help with the rest

I was having problems getting to the installer earlier. I figured out the problem was the USB Settings in the BIOS and just tested it. I could boot to the USB installer if I have the settings set to Auto and Auto Enabled from top to bottom. At least I think that's what they said. When I changed the top setting to Enabled, the installer didn't boot.

Once I got it installed I removed the Geforce kexts and that solved boot problems I had booting from the 32GB SSD. Well, solved them other than the fact that I can't get the SanDisk SSD to be bootable through the BIOS. It doesn't show up as a bootable option. I can write a different bootable image to the SSD and it shows up as bootable in the BIOS. I have installed Chameleon and it doesn't change anything. I can boot via the USB drive to the SSD though.

Also the device key that I quoted here gives you the correct resolution, thanks for that zenlion. I also installed the VoodooPS2 kexts that allow the touchpad to work as a mouse and the keyboard works as well.

Thank you everybody for your help.

lbowuc

lbowuc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I've been working on getting EFI booting via Clover working (no luck..yet) so I haven't had time to get back to the OS level and evaluate but here is my take:

- Intel WiFi is never going to work unless someone builds a driver. Card can be replaced but the replacement requires smaller (dual) antenna jacks to work with the build in antennas.
- Don't know about the USB->Ethernet jack, I haven't even unpacked it yet :) I'll plug this is under Windows and report what it sees.
- HDMI/mini-VGA *should* work with HD4000. Maybe zenlion can test/comment?
- nVidia 620m is questionable and switch-able graphics will probably take considerable DSDT work. I do hope to look into this aspect eventually.

I did some testing this morning/afternoon. With the device id from zenlion and hooked up through HDMI I get some lines on the left side of the monitor after the grey apple screen and that's all. Hooked up through VGA I get a black screen after the apple screen. I think the device id needs to be changed for those to work.
I also worked on the USB to Ethernet adapter. I installed the drivers from here and they did not work. I edited the Info.plist inside the kext to change the product ID, it installed and got the adapter working. The AX88772b file I have attached was stored in the Plugins folder of IONetworkingFamily.kext in S/L/E. You should be able to put the file there, rebuild the caches and permissions and the USB adapter should work. I also attached the IONetworkingFamily.kext with the file in it. I believe you can just replace the old file with the new one once you unzip it, rebuild caches and permissions and restart and it should work.

Thanks.

Attached Files

• cyf likes this

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

I did some testing this morning/afternoon. With the device id from zenlion and hooked up through HDMI I get some lines on the left side of the monitor after the grey apple screen and that's all. Hooked up through VGA I get a black screen after the apple screen. I think the device id needs to be changed for those to work.

Ok, after looking at the DSDT again, if you look at the references to HDMI and CRTD (VGA I think) devices, they appear to be driven from the PEGP (PCI Express Graphics Port?) or nVidia chip whereas the LCDD is controlled via the GFX0 device (Intel intergrated graphics). So now I think the only way to get those two outputs working is to get the nVidia kext loaded for the 620m.

I also worked on the USB to Ethernet adapter. I installed the drivers from here and they did not work. I edited the Info.plist inside the kext to change the product ID, it installed and got the adapter working. The AX88772b file I have attached was stored in the Plugins folder of IONetworkingFamily.kext in S/L/E. You should be able to put the file there, rebuild the caches and permissions and the USB adapter should work. I also attached the IONetworkingFamily.kext with the file in it. I believe you can just replace the old file with the new one once you unzip it, rebuild caches and permissions and restart and it should work.

Nice work!

tutu101

tutu101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Your making great progress! I'm still waiting for mine to come :(

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I really need help guys!!! I see most of you got ML up and running on the ux32vd.. I have the ux31a -with the i5 and HD4000- and cannot seem to get it booted into the installer (it gives me random freezes at end pci configuration and a few other spots depending on the boot flags).i noticed you were using an earlier version of a utility that cannot be named but i cannot find that version anywhere so maybe someone who is smarter than me can figure out how to get it going with the current version or point me in the right direction in finding the older version. In the end I would like to have ML installed on an external HD to save me from partitioning the 128gb ssd but we will see how far I get as i cannot seem to find any support on the other forum. also when using the older version of the unnamed utility did you use any other utilities or enter anything else special to get it to boot??
I could really use some help here thanks!! I need Mac for school next week(i know I know i should have just bought a pro-book) but i already have this.
so please any help

lbowuc

lbowuc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I really need help guys!!! I see most of you got ML up and running on the ux32vd.. I have the ux31a -with the i5 and HD4000- and cannot seem to get it booted into the installer (it gives me random freezes at end pci configuration and a few other spots depending on the boot flags).i noticed you were using an earlier version of a utility that cannot be named but i cannot find that version anywhere so maybe someone who is smarter than me can figure out how to get it going with the current version or point me in the right direction in finding the older version. In the end I would like to have ML installed on an external HD to save me from partitioning the 128gb ssd but we will see how far I get as i cannot seem to find any support on the other forum. also when using the older version of the unnamed utility did you use any other utilities or enter anything else special to get it to boot??
I could really use some help here thanks!! I need Mac for school next week(i know I know i should have just bought a pro-book) but i already have this.
so please any help

My first suggestion is to check the BIOS settings. My biggest problem with the installers locking up was when I had the USB settings in the BIOS set incorrectly. I don't remember the names of the settings you are changing, but the first one should be set to Auto and second one should be set to "Auto Enabled". Then try booting from your USB installer again.

If you do a search for what you are looking for with the word torrent at the end, you should be able to find it. At least that's how I ended up finding it. No I did not use other utilities. Just the unnamed utility. I think I also made my own bootable USB by following a guide and using the 10.8 app file I downloaded from the App Store and that worked too once my bios settings were correct.

I don't know about installing 10.8 on USB, although I would think it would work ok. I still have to boot from the USB flash drive and pick the internal SSD to boot to 10.8, but it's not a big problem. I don't know why I cannot get Chameleon to install on the 32GB SSD so the BIOS will recognize it as a bootable device.

You will probably need to have an external mouse and possibly keyboard plugged in when you boot to the installer. Then you can change the kexts to get them working.

Good luck. :)

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
OK thank you so much for the suggestions.. I have to borrow someone's Mac every time I do this so I want to make sure I get it right this time. The options in bios for USB are legacy USB which I have set to auto, the next option is xhci pre-boot mode and I have that set to smart auto so hopefully that's right.. I'm going to use the older version of the utility later today when I borrow a Mac, when running that do I check both laptop support and legacy USB support?
Also, are there any DSdts for our motherboards(prob not), but I can't seem to figure out what the model number is for the motherboard...

Thank you so much for your help

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Also, are there any DSdts for our motherboards(prob not), but I can't seem to figure out what the model number is for the motherboard...

I'm (slowly) studying/commenting/comparing to MacBookAir5,2 the 2.06 BIOS DSDT and have been doing some testing in conjunction with EFI Clover booting, but its a big process so I don't have anything to release yet.

The motherboard model is: ASUS UX32VD

lbowuc

lbowuc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

OK thank you so much for the suggestions.. I have to borrow someone's Mac every time I do this so I want to make sure I get it right this time. The options in bios for USB are legacy USB which I have set to auto, the next option is xhci pre-boot mode and I have that set to smart auto so hopefully that's right.. I'm going to use the older version of the utility later today when I borrow a Mac, when running that do I check both laptop support and legacy USB support?

Thank you so much for your help

Yes, that sounds correct as far as the bios settings go. I can't remember for sure what I checked, but I think it was laptop support and not legacy USB.

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I'm (slowly) studying/commenting/comparing to MacBookAir5,2 the 2.06 BIOS DSDT and have been doing some testing in conjunction with EFI Clover booting, but its a big process so I don't have anything to release yet.

How similar would the dsdt your working on be for the ux32vd and the ux31a since i have the ux31a..
also have any of you swapped out the wifi/bluetooth card for a supported one? if so which brand/model?

thanks everyone I will let you know how it goes today with the installation

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

How similar would the dsdt your working on be for the ux32vd and the ux31a since i have the ux31a..

You tell us :) Here is the UX32VD DSDT from the latest BIOS (2.06):
Attached File  DSDT.zip   59.82KB   115 downloads

also have any of you swapped out the wifi/bluetooth card for a supported one? if so which brand/model?

I tried to swap in a Dell DW1510, and while it fits no problem, the antenna connectors are smaller than what is on the card itself. Apparently there are several different sizes of these "U.FL" connectors, but I haven't been able to find any detail on what size the OEM Intel card is using nor do I see many people listing this type of detail on eBay/store listings.

Does anyone have any details on the Atheros card used in other ASUS Ultrabook models? This might be the best hope to get a supported card under OSX that just plugs in internally. Otherwise, the next best solution is an ugly USB adapter :(

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

You tell us :) Here is the UX32VD DSDT from the latest BIOS (2.06):
[attachment=112640:DSDT.

I will have to test thus later because I still cannot get into the installer. Using 1.4 of uniblank it says it only can do lion.. I can't find a version that does ML.. I have also tried making a custom USB but still gets stuck at random spots

lbowuc

lbowuc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I will have to test thus later because I still cannot get into the installer. Using 1.4 of uniblank it says it only can do lion.. I can't find a version that does ML.. I have also tried making a custom USB but still gets stuck at random spots

You've gotta rename the Mountain Lion app in your Applications folder to the name of the Lion app. The exact name is in the aforemention program, it's one of the check boxes. It's something like OS X Lion.app.

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks! its running now i will let you know if it works.

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ok I'm finally up and running.. thanks for all the support! keyboard and track pad working. Still have to do the usb network and HD4000 fixes. Has anyone else run into a kernal panick randomly when plugging in a USB device? Not every time just random. I'm going to look into finding a WiFi card that will work. The altheros go on eBay for $15 so might order one to test it.

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Has anyone else ran into these USB issues I'm having? It freezes sometimes when USB is plugged in.. cant figure out why

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
ifixit UX32VD teardown if anyone is interested.

tutu101

tutu101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Looks like I wont be getting this till September as out of stock in the UK.

Any luck with the onboard nvidia graphics?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy