Waiting for root device when kernel cache used; only with some disks +FIX

bcc9

158 posts in this topic

Confirming successful boot after the running the updated patch. I believe people reporting failures need to increase the default delay for their particular case.

Vahan - please stop copying my work and posting it elsewhere, especially without attribution. I specifically forbid this in the copyright in my script.

I'm referring to your posts:

http://blog.yerkanian.com/

and over at tonymac where you then link to your blog posts with the fix.

I'm going to repost what I already wrote to you over at tonymac. Apparently it needs repeating:

"So you guys are admitting that you willfully remove references to the original technical discussions on hackintosh development details, in order to redirect advertisement revenue? As the developer of this fix (and many others used on this site), I'm pretty offended to see you guys continuing to behave like this, trying to capitalize on countless hours of work I've provided for free. Removing the references to the technical discussions retards collaboration. It's also intellectually dishonest to strip off the attribution from such fixes.

I'd also like to point out that in the 4+ threads I see on this site for this one fix, 3 of them cut&paste this work with the copyright, documentation, and reference to the technical thread removed. (The 4th thread only omits the reference to the technical support thread).

What would it take to get you guys to not do this? Do I need to post my work to a site that has no advertisement revenue, privately, or not at all? So far, I most often post to the site that has the widest audience and that embraces posting of the technical details. I receive no compensation for this beyond advancing the state of the art in hackintoshing. It's a shame you seem to think of the other sites as competition instead of collaborators. "

I'm going to discontinue contributing effective immediately if this behavior is not corrected. Ie correct all your references to this fix to either simply refer back to this master technical thread, or provide the full copyright & references.

• Like 2

upgraded 10.8.2 today on a Lenovo T420.

well interesting that a delay of 200ms was adequate (as it was in 10.8.0) vs 500 or 600ms in 10.8.1.

thanks again!

I am sorry to see you so frustrated... and agree with your sentiment regarding reposting of your material without credit.

I attribute the success of my working hackintosh(es) to the work and sharing of information from 3 people: (you) bcc9, manwe150, and joshhh.

Of course this is a community and other sites and content have been useful and fun to read.

I hope your message is received and acted upon.

Of course this is a community and other sites and content have been useful and fun to read.

Other sites are not entitled to copy copyrighted work from their "competitor" sites and then use the information to solicit contributions and newegg/amazon referral payments. Entitled to be intellectually dishonest and refuse to collaborate? Perhaps. In any case such behavior doesn't make a community.

• Like 2

if it makes u feel better i was a former tony mac user and to be honest every time i asked a question over there and got no response when i googled hard i always landed at this site while someone steeling your work is wrong and upsetting there are people that do know all the hard work that is done here and are thankful for your time and effort.

so thanks without you i would be waiting for root device!

hello

@bcc9

why don't ban this users ????

report this abusive , and steel work of this users.. is a shame .. unless it insert a link where it obtain this info

i admire u work developing solutions for hackintosh world.

best regards

good hack

• Like 1

Other sites are not entitled to copy copyrighted work from their "competitor" sites and then use the information to solicit contributions and newegg/amazon referral payments. Entitled to be intellectually dishonest and refuse to collaborate? Perhaps. In any case such behavior doesn't make a community.

I couldn't agree more, it's a slap in the face to the very movement that makes their site relevant . These sites wouldn't even exist if not for the collaboration of users like yourself who graciously share your work with the rest of the community. There is no benefit to you in sharing your work, you receive and expect nothing other than gratitude. Yet these sites take your work and on the contrary do expect something in return in the form of newegg/amazon referral payments. Doesn't get much lower than that IMO. I just want to reiterate that I appreciate what you do, that this community is lucky to have people like you, and please don't let these selfish few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us. And I do mean ruin it for us, most of us wouldn't even have a hackintosh if is wasn't for people like you and damn it I can't go back to windows.

• Like 1

hello

@bcc9

why don't ban this users ????

report this abusive , and steel work of this users.. is a shame .. unless it insert a link where it obtain this info

i admire u work developing solutions for hackintosh world.

best regards

good hack

Men but because u dont can bunner ?

U a mod , bunner u a this user

@ bcc9 please report to admin It's time to do away with this lack of respect for developers

bcc9, have you read our first rule:

]Do not upload anywhere else files when developers specifically ask not to. We take this matter very seriously, as developers are the very heart of our community.[/b]

Also you probably know our attitude toward tonymac, totally negative.

I am carefully considering everything before taking action. Also please pm me with your thoughts, I am counting on it.

I don't see what bug that post is trying to fix and what the fix is supposed to be. The rest of the thread doesn't seem to pertain to a timing bug, so I don't think the fix here would be applicable there.

no, bcc9, that link was (as I wrote) ONLY the link to the kext that would need to get patched .. :wink2: The issues is exactly the same as here w. the AHCI kext; if you want to read the same thing again just for the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext, sure, right here: Waiting for root device when kernel cache used (AppleIntelPIIXATA) ..

I guess the bug over there relates to using intel ICH in IDE mode? I would never use a hackintosh that way - AHCI mode has superior performance.

the issue over in that old thread have been solved for many years, allowing systems w. non-AHCI BIOS to boot at all. That was just the first occurence of that very kext. I pointed to it because I like original sources .. The Dell Optiplex 745 has such a non AHCI board, so AHCI kexts naturally don't do anything to help it boot. Eventually just the ICH SATA controller string has to be added to the plist inside AppleIntelPIIXATA kext. And next the timing issue needs to get solved now, analog to what you did here with the AHCI kext.

All clear now I hope?

I can't really (don't have time to) start developing fixes for problems that don't pertain to hardware I use.
OK. But please, would you at least share your procedure step-by-step, so others can carry on your development? How to find the bytes to patch that delay loading of AppleIntelPIIXATA etc., so we can start working on this over in the other thread? Because apparently the hard disk initiation timing issue in non-Apple hardware is INDEPENDENT of if the HDD getting accessed by an AHCI or a SATA controller.

Thank you,

Bugs

bcc9, have you read our first rule:

Also you probably know our attitude toward tonymac, totally negative.

I am carefully considering everything before taking action. Also please pm me with your thoughts, I am counting on it.

Hope it's OK that I'm just replying publicly...

I don't think banning users will accomplish anything, it seems to be a more basic cultural problem going on here with sites believing they are competing and where copying development work is considered fair game.

Do not upload anywhere else files when developers specifically ask not to. We take this matter very seriously, as developers are the very heart of our community.

That first rule may not strictly apply as I haven't seen the new version of my script, with the attribution copyright, copied in full. Rather derivative near-verbatim work is being generated based on my original script (that also had a copyright but didn't detail redistribution terms). Not that I gave permission for that to happen either...

You'll see many copies of that original script over at tonymac, with the copyright removed, and sometimes the documentation is removed as well (what the patches are doing and why). vahan has additional 3rd party copies not hosted at tonymac but with a bunch of referrals to his copies of the scripts at tonymac (those copies having stripped copyright/documentation as well).

Yes I'm making a big thing over a "simple" patch. Simple in quotes since even this patch involves lots of engineering troubleshooting under the covers.

However this is not the first time I've had this problem with tonymac so I can't keep enabling this behavior with my work.

If I was a site admin around here, I'd have a long list of information being copied from here to there and would probably be working towards issuing intellectual property take-down notices to tonymac's ISP.

As a developer, easiest step for me is to just start withholding information. For example I'm sitting on code that auto-computes this patch for future releases (so that the patch doesn't have to be manually maintained).

• Like 2

Hope it's OK that I'm just replying publicly...

I don't think banning users will accomplish anything, it seems to be a more basic cultural problem going on here with sites believing they are competing and where copying development work is considered fair game.

You are a gentleman,

I come from tonymac with 781 posts, they have closed the Italian section without communications (and other language), some posts lost, regret..

Here find such good people, so happy to be here!

thanks for your work

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

now, I solved my problems with "still waiting for root device" on my new lappy Ivy Bridge bought a week ago, using DSDT:

original

Device (SAT0)
 {
	 Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002) /*<-------------looking correct address
 }

Patched

Device (SATA) /*<-------------renamed from Device (SAT0)
 {
	 Name (_ADR, 0x001F0002)
	 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
	 {
		 Store (Package (0x02)
			 {
				 "device-id",
				 Buffer (0x04)
				 {
						 0x03, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x00 /*<-------------taken from Ivy bridge MBP 9,2 ioreg
				 }
			 }, Local0)
		 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		 Return (Local0)
	 }
 }

know that this has no direct connection to "AHCI time out"

but since I've seen users who have not resolved patching the binary , I would say that before try the patch, be sure that SATA section it's OK!

I now have very fast disk with original kexts in 10.8 /.1/.2 :D

Here dumps from real Mac on Tea blog:

http://tdev.me/2010/...hardware-dumps/

useful to see what Apple uses, and find real or fake device id, to loading the correct driver in a similar hardware

Micky

• Like 1

Here dumps from real Mac on Tea blog:

http://tdev.me/2010/...hardware-dumps/

useful to see what Apple uses, and find real or fake device id, to loading the correct driver in a similar hardware

Micky

Micky,

Is it possible for you to post Sandy bridge MBP 8,1 or 8,3 (SATA) ioreg ?. I am trying to patch my DSDT but I can not open the ioreg extension file.

Thanks

Micky,

Is it possible for you to post Sandy bridge MBP 8,1 or 8,3 (SATA) ioreg ?. I am trying to patch my DSDT but I can not open the ioreg extension file.

Thanks

Sorry, I can not

on my last post, I just wanted to warn that some feel bcc9 solution without result, I wanted to say that if it does not work is not the fault of timing!

So now say, that we do not discuss here about things that have nothing to do with the title:

Waiting for root device when kernel cache used; only with some disks +FIX

This topic is great, so we should not ruin it!

I can try to help you, if I can, via private message.

PM me, but at least put your hardware in your signature please!!! :whistle:

Micky

At bootloader screen type -x to start ML in safe mode. Unzip the patch, open the teminal and drag and drop the patch into terminal. Hit enter then enter your password. Patch will do its job. Open Kext utility and repair permissions and restart.

• Like 2

Dear bcc9 I would also like to thank you for your script, your contribution and your finding. On my Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3, with a single main OCZ Agility 3 the system booted fine with clean install of 10.8.0 and then 10.8.2. Once I hooked up another Seagate Green 1,5TB SATA drive, I got the delay during boot. Today, after searching and use the kernel flag debug=8 ahcidrive=1 it solved it but I thought of testing your script (v0.3) as well. Thanks a million, you are right, it's probably due to specific H6x chipsets and this one is no exception...

I did try Mickey1979's DSDT patch before your script as it was easier to recover from a possible KP (i.e. using device-id 0x03, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x00) but it didn't work. I got orange icons again and probably the AHCI timing issue was not even tackled by the related kext. Shame, I would had hoped this could also be a more proper ID close to Apple hardware.

Thanks to all of you guys. One bug "down" and resolved. I hope that bcc9 will keep contributing to the OSx86 scene and will definitely support him accordingly.

Dear bcc9 I would also like to thank you for your script, your contribution and your finding. On my Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3, with a single main OCZ Agility 3 the system booted fine with clean install of 10.8.0 and then 10.8.2. Once I hooked up another Seagate Green 1,5TB SATA drive, I got the delay during boot. Today, after searching and use the kernel flag debug=8 ahcidrive=1 it solved it but I thought of testing your script (v0.3) as well. Thanks a million, you are right, it's probably due to specific H6x chipsets and this one is no exception...

I did try Mickey1979's DSDT patch before your script as it was easier to recover from a possible KP (i.e. using device-id 0x03, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x00) but it didn't work. I got orange icons again and probably the AHCI timing issue was not even tackled by the related kext. Shame, I would had hoped this could also be a more proper ID close to Apple hardware.

Thanks to all of you guys. One bug "down" and resolved. I hope that bcc9 will keep contributing to the OSx86 scene and will definitely support him accordingly.

Sorry, your're right.....on Intel controller or Mac supported........ maybe you need a third part kext for SATA?

Micky

Thanks so much for saving my sanity. I was going crazy trying solve the anomaly I am not in software as in hardware. I tried all different type of hard disks The one that worked was straightforward was CORSAIR FORCE GT 240GB. Made clone of that and none worked. No disk activity after the initial boot. Your magic brought life to my clones.

Thanks again

InsanelyMac Legend

• 4 weeks later...

@bcc9

I made this patch for IOAHCIFamily/IOAHCIBlockStorage 2.3.1 in Build 12C3006:

#patch relocation table for our patch point - kprintf() -> IOSleep()

/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\xcb\x57\x00\x00\xee\x03|\xcb\x57\x00\x00\xe8\x01|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage

#Make unconditional call to IOSleep(200) at beginning of kext

/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's|\x74\x0e\x48\x8d\x3d\x72\x94\x00\x00|\xbf\xc8\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90\x90\x90|g' IOAHCIBlockStorage

• 2 months later...