Waiting for root device when kernel cache used; only with some disks +FIX

bcc9

158 posts in this topic

Hello philip_petev, I don't see a v0.4 available; in the first post it's still v0.3 by bcc9 and only a patch in this page--unless you consider this as "v0.4". But officially I didn't find a v0.4 from bcc9. What system are you on? Running 10.8.4 and still needing this patch?

Hello philip_petev, I don't see a v0.4 available; in the first post it's still v0.3 by bcc9 and only a patch in this page--unless you consider this as "v0.4". But officially I didn't find a v0.4 from bcc9. What system are you on? Running 10.8.4 and still needing this patch?

It's here, on the previous page. As of 10.8.3, many people don't need it anymore, in my previous post I'm talking about a different kind of tests: I've included the patch in the HP ProBook Installer as an optional component and tested it on fresh 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 installs, so my last post is my feedback

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The problem addressed by this patch has not been reported on OSX releases after 10.8.2.

However the symptom is a general one; if you're seeing the symptom under 10.9 the underlying cause is likely a simple ATA or USB driver misconfig, such as detailed in the FAQ:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278075-about-still-waiting-for-root-device/

• 3 weeks later...

@bcc9: Could this problem occur with Gigabyte G.1 Killer motherboard?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3776

It's quite strange because I can boot installer from USB and it can install to SATA alright, but I can't use it as a root device, I'm going slightly crazy :'(

PS: I last installed on top of existing Mountain Lion with myhack, and that worked. However, the patch cannot be applied, it says it has already been applied....

After flashing my AWARD BIOS to UEFI (Gigabyte UD3H-D3: F12 => U1h) booting of OS X 10.8.2 is fine without patching the IOAHCIFamiliy.kext!

Oh, I should try this right away.

PS: There doesn't seem to be a suitable update for my gigabyte g.1 killer board....

@bcc9: Could this problem occur with Gigabyte G.1 Killer motherboard?

Good chance; my problem case was a gigabyte motherboard with non-UEFI bios.  However now that the bug is no longer being encountered with current osx, you could just install with a newer version (>= 10.8.3) to avoid the problem.  You might as well just install 10.9 directly at this point.