AMD Lion Kernel

deadreaper

98 posts in this topic

the mach_kernel_V4 Loaded up on my AMD Athlon II x2 250. Using -legacy -v cpus=2 busratio=16 arch=i386 -force64 (force of habit on that one) GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0

Gotta tell you though, I am not real impressed with Lion so far. Hope things improve in Mountain Lion.

One of the things I use a lot and set up from the very first launch is Spaces of Expose & Spaces fame.

You can not use Spaces in Lion. It is just not there!

And that has nothing to do with the Finder not working.

Funny though. If you can get and boot up Windows 8, it now has Spaces ability! Go figure!

Think I will be sticking with Snow Leopard for a while more.

And until Finder is fixed or the kernel is updated to use -force64 a lot of things just don't work.

• 2 weeks later...

PC: HP Pavilion a6360.it

CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core

CHIPSET: Nforce MCP 61 430

VGA: Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT 512MB

LAN: Nforce lan

Not installed. No kernel panic... block on BSD root: disk0s2, major 7

Does not go forward even if I wait hours.

Tried all the kernel kexts.com

Thanks

Just a general update in case people haven't found out from other sources, the Bronzovka kernel is updated to v5 but it seems most people have had more success with v4. Also, Nawcom has posted on his blog that in May he will begin working on his own AMD Lion Kernel! Yay!

@AlaskanTraveler: spaces and expose were combined into the new app LaunchPad. You can still have multiple desktops it is all just done (window AND desktop management) from launchpad. Although I do agree some of the changes in Lion are annoying, and it seems Apple is now tailoring their OS's to people with multitouch pads instead of regular mice, and I don't think they're doing anything too different in that regard in ML either :(

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to install Lion 10.7.2 on my AMD Athlon X2 4200+ lol.. on an nForce 630 chipset..non-AHCI btw,used kexts from Snow Leo,replaced Finder from DP2 and it works fine..and about those crashes and eating of CPU time,just trash xpchelper and ReportCrash or chmod -x it .. uptime 15 hours,no problems at all.. only problem on this {censored} PC is the graphics which is unsupported so i can only go VESA mode 32bit boot using -legacy on v4 kernel but i tried booting without any flags at all for a 64 bit boot and it boots the system up as i can see from the verbose boot and HDD activity later on,i will swap the graphics and test out further..and yeah,i got it 2 work under virtualbox too lol.

post-691786-0-04858200-1336416083_thumb.png

post-691786-0-96516700-1336416273_thumb.png

I'm going to be looking at some of the Assembly code, and see if I can change the SSSE3 calls to SSE3...not sure if I can, but it's an attempt. :)

From what I can see, what bronzovka changed to get it working on AMD was not in the commpage (written in Assembly), and I believe he is not familiar with Assembly programming. I think the best bet is to wait for nawcom or meklort to release a version with the patched SSSE3 instructions. (I don't know if meklort is working on it, but I do know that nawcom will be; he's just waiting to get his new AMD build, which he said he will hopefully get in May) :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that a good policy would be that, every time an OsX kernel go open source, the first to become aware of it starts a thread here at insanelymac. This thread should be pinned and would provide a window, for all people with enough knowledge of kernel patching and willing to do the patches, to share opinions and results with themselves and the OsX community, as well as an oportunity to the less-skilled to learn and, hopefully, contribute with something - sometimes good insights come from where they're less expected.

Pooky, RAW X86 shared the codes of his patched AMD kernel: take a look at http://osx86.co/f100/10-7-4-amd-kernel-t7687/. Where does Apple publish the source cordes of its own vanilla kernels when they become open source (lion's should be open source by now, or else we wouldn't have our patched ones)? It would be good to give a close look at it and compare it to the patched kernels, so we eventually have a (much-needed) AMD_64 Lion kernel (which, by its turn, would be a great starting point for a legacy must-be-64-bit

Apple releases the sources for their kernel(s) here: http://opensource.apple.com/ You can just click one of the Mac OS X versions in the list, and download the xnu file at the bottom of the list.

I'll do my best; the main issue is that the SSSE3 instructions (required for 64-bit on Lion) have to be translated to SSE3 for non-Bulldozer AMDs, and I'm not very experienced in Assembly. However, I'll do my research and see what I can find. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...