[UPDATED] Dell Optiplex 760 SFF Setup for ML, Lion & SL

gygabyte666

122 posts in this topic

in terminal

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

try that

also evoreboot might interrupt with chameleons restart fix thats autoenabled, that can be disabled in wizard

or

take evoreboot out as test

also the smbus might need to be added complete not a lite version.

ok I tried the terminal command. That didn't work. if I change 0 to 1 will that reverse it? I figure I should do so to prevent future issues with having hibernate disabled.

I removed evoreboot and restart still functions as it should so I guess that isn't needed. Never tested disabling the built-in chameleon restart fix but I assume I can safely ignore it since it's working.

Explain more on this smbus complete vs lite.

I noticed something interesting while reading my verbose messages. While I was using the dsdt's I created, I noticed that it said "ACPI: System State [s1] [s3]" for both SL & Lion, which made sense considering my PM is setup to support both. However, since I started using your dsdt edit, the message has changed for both OSs to "ACPI: System State [s0]". Any idea what that change means?

hmm intresting.. thats part of the sleep states . S3 is what you want . i think u dumped dsdt with it set to S0 in bios ??

if u find SBUS in another dsdt u will see its bigger that one in your pc.

i think ECHI needs a patch for sleep

Ok, sorry for the delay but I lost internet here for awhile. We're having a horrible wind storm.

Anyway, did some more testing. I was wrong about sleep working. I wasn't sure of the power state of this tower and assumed what it was doing was considered sleep for it but I was wrong.

I've been playing around with a dsdt for an Optiplex 755 (which i've attached for examination, the only thing I fixed on the 755 dsdt was _UID for GraphicsEnabler to work so I could test it) that has been fully patched for just about everything to work. I tried it on my system for kicks and everything that was broken, was fixed. Sleep/hibernate and wake all work. I've been trying to make my dsdt more like it to be able to get these benefits but I haven't really been successful. So many things in both dsdts are very similar yet my dsdt has so much more {censored} in it and I don't know what it does.

760vs755.zip

I've gotten as far as making Lion go into deep sleep/hibernate but I can never get the monitor to wake back up. Once or twice something must be horribly wrong with my edit because after the tower woke up, it did a random reboot on me. So as helpful as the 755 dsdt has been to fix some of my problems, I can't rely on it too much, seems the hardware is too different because it's causing some undesired effects on my system if the wrong code is used. The tower itself wakes fine (USB's all come back on and start responding and the low-power light on the tower stops blinking and the hdd begins to spin back up) so the system itself wakes up like it is supposed to, but the monitor doesn't. With the 755 dsdt everything works right I just haven't been able to find what makes the monitor come back on.

It's worth mentioning that I can only test the 755 dsdt in Lion. Tried using it in SL and I get KPs, so I can't test to see if the 755 dsdt fixes the sleep/wake issue in SL.

I've tried copy/pasting code from just about everywhere on the 755 dsdt to try to fix the monitor wakeup issue. I don't know what else to try anymore. So close yet so far. HELP!!

Be that as it may. It's annoying me. I've been screwing with this evil dsdt for several days now and almost have it complete.

I tried adding in the edits from the dsdt you last provided and it seems to have helped a bit. It still acts odd but if it feels like it, it will wake the monitor now. This appears to work in both Lion and SL. Sadly, it reboots the computer upon wake at random. Not really a good thing when you've got work to save. :(

It also appears to be affecting my bios a bit. I seem to always get the network boot text upon reboot after my bios splash screen. I can continue with booting normally but the Intel PXC text almost always appears. I might have edited too much somewhere.

It's worth mentioning that I changed IDE1 to SATA for a reason. My hard drive seems to perform better with that fix. Before it seemed like it was having a rough time spinning up or down before without lag, especially with a folder with a large amount of files in it. The SATA fix seems to have solved that though.

Here is the edited dsdt with all the fixes that I seem to need. This also has your edits in it, which seem to have helped with monitor waking but causes random reboots upon wake, it also will cause random reboots upon using shutdown too. Maybe it's a simple fix. I just don't know what else to try at this point though. dsdt.aml.zip

Be that as it may. It's annoying me. I've been screwing with this evil dsdt for several days now and almost have it complete.

I tried adding in the edits from the dsdt you last provided and it seems to have helped a bit. It still acts odd but if it feels like it, it will wake the monitor now. This appears to work in both Lion and SL. Sadly, it reboots the computer upon wake at random. Not really a good thing when you've got work to save. :(

It also appears to be affecting my bios a bit. I seem to always get the network boot text upon reboot after my bios splash screen. I can continue with booting normally but the Intel PXC text almost always appears. I might have edited too much somewhere.

It's worth mentioning that I changed IDE1 to SATA for a reason. My hard drive seems to perform better with that fix. Before it seemed like it was having a rough time spinning up or down before without lag, especially with a folder with a large amount of files in it. The SATA fix seems to have solved that though.

Here is the edited dsdt with all the fixes that I seem to need. This also has your edits in it, which seem to have helped with monitor waking but causes random reboots upon wake, it also will cause random reboots upon using shutdown too. Maybe it's a simple fix. I just don't know what else to try at this point though. dsdt.aml.zip

I never did get editing a DSDT. All I've ever done on a DSDT is put it on my system and try it, and it was only once on an Inspiron laptop. The sound fix, was that in the DSDT or somewhere else?

EDIT: NVM, about the audio, just reread the post. But how to edit a DSDT?

EDIT 2: Also, do I have to restart to get the sound fix to work?

EDIT 3: I also have a Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1 GB, and the onboard graphics is the Intel GMA 3100 (NOT the X3100).

I've got the hang of editing DSDTs finally but it's still difficult to try diagnose some of the weird issues it can cause. I've almost got the system perfect but more dsdt tweaking has to be done to resolve some of my system issues.

If you have the same onboard audio hardware as I do, I'd be happy to upload the voodoo kext I use, but I'm not able to access my system right now so it'll be a bit later. If yours is different though it likely won't work. As always when editing or modifying system kexts you have to repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache before it will work and yes, you must reboot before the changes are applied. I use regular terminal commands to do this but I believe the script called myFix or pfix I forget what it's called, that should automate the process for you. Optiplex760VoodooHDA.zip

The GraphicsEnabler dsdt fix is easy but AFAIK you need a supported card for it to work. I'm not very familiar with what does and doesn't. Your best bet would just be to try it. PCI0 _UID must be 0x00 or in my case, Zero.

Thanks for the audio kext, will test it.

Doesn't work. It killed my audio...

What should I modify?

The 5670 I use works with the default kexts of 10.6.8+ and with the 2011 MacBook Pro 10.6.7 drivers for ATI graphics cards. I read some places that this might have issues with DVD Player and iDVD, but I never came across any sort of issue with iDVD, just DVD Player, which is annoying me (having to copy VIDEO_TS files to my MacBook Pro or my Acer to play a home made DVD and test it after exporting it is annoying).

UPDATE: Added your modifications to my kext, and it worked. I hear less of a hiss now, I think, but it's still there. I still have a problem with audio that has heavy bass.

PS. Autocorrect is nice a lot of the time, but there are times it gets annoying, like when typing the word "kext".

Bummer. Seems you have different hardware for audio.

What kinds of issues are you having with your 5670? Is it tearing or having artifacts? If that's the case and you have full resolution and QE/CI enabled then odds are that you won't be able to do much outside of getting another, fully supported card. I've had that happen to me a lot in the past and it was just caused by having unsupported cards. I was able to get full res+QE/CI but tearing and artifacts still occurred, which made some things like movies look awful. If that isn't happening, odds are it likely has a patch to fix it somewhere, but as I said, I'm not an ATI/AMD kind of person so I likely won't be very helpful for that.

It's good the audio is better. Have you tried using the VoodooHDA pref pane for your version? The pane helped me figure out what was causing my hissing problem. I suggest using a pane too to test around with and play around with all the sliders to figure out where the noise is coming from, then patch it up like I did using the plist.

-------------

Now then, back to the point of the thread. I have seriously f***ed something up in my dsdt. I don't know what could be causing it because I thought all the patches from the 755 dsdt were all authentic Apple device patches. But, my BIOS is getting really f***ed up. It seems fine if I don't try to test sleep but if I do, it will corrupt my BIOS settings completely. Yes, the RTC patch still should be working but something else is either changing my settings or is just WRONG and is messing them up. The main giveaway that my BIOS was corrupted is my LAN will switch settings from being a standard, active ethernet in my BIOS and switch into being enabled + Imageserver enabled, which causes the Intel PXC network boot text after the splash screen. That's not so bad but it breaks my ethernet when it switches. The really scary thing is when I go into my BIOS to reset it after the corruption it gives me a horrible ERROR popup message and I have to revert BIOS settings to defaults to start over.

I suppose it could be one of my patches but I thought all of them were recommended. SATA, USB, EHCI, SBUS, HPET. I have so many changes I don't know which one to start from first. I guess i'll have to go through each one until I find what is causing the corruption. Damn this Dell! :(

My ATI card is fine except for 3 things really. One is having DVD Player crash, too is having no audio though the HDMI (Windows gives me 7.1 surround), and when connecting a display to the HDMI port in OS X using a DVI to HDMI adapter (tried this on two different displays), it occasionally switches to static, like on a TV, except it look much higher res, and is colorful. Turning the screen on and off fixes it. No problems on Windows, and no problems when I connect the screen straight through HDMI, I have no problem whatsoever.

I can't really seem to get the hang of the VoodooHDA prefpane. All I can change are the Volume spinner and the Sound Treatment options, and they don't seem to do anything.

post-646111-0-12285400-1330936835_thumb.png

post-646111-0-73293400-1330936880_thumb.png

@Latin, thanks for the links. I'll be trying those out soon. :)

UPDATE: Just tried that out on Lion and this is what I still get from verbose:

RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)

Is this normal? I've been getting this message for as long as I can recall. I will also mention that I am NOT on the more updated BIOS update for this model. The most updated revision is A13. I ran through a series of tests with upgrading/downgrading my BIOS firmware and found that after A07 the system will fail to boot into ANY Mac OS, and I also lose a few options in my BIOS. One of those options is the ability to enable/disable VT-x Hardware I/O support. I didn't want to lose that because one day I may update my CPU to a model that supports it. So, I stuck with A05 since it seemed stable enough for me to boot into all Mac OSs and the most BIOS options are all retained. I'll keep testing around with the modified AppleRTC.kext to see if I get anymore BIOS hangs or errors but for the moment, it looks unchanged in verbose.

@Anon, If the DVD player is crashing it's likely an issue with your DVD drive, not the ATI card, although I wouldn't rule it out completely yet. Try using the DeviceMergeNub.kext that was linked to earlier in the thread. It's very easy to edit to make your drive supported. I would try that for the DVD player crash first.

About your card. It seems like your card isn't being properly reconigized. If your not already using one, I would try using an enabler kext of some kind. I believe OS X isn't using your HDMI port correctly. Worst case, you'll have to manually patch it in using dsdt.

Finally, about Voodoo. You seem to be using the newest revision of Voodoo. That version doesn't allow you to use all the sliders as you mentioned. Trying going back a revision or two and use the pref pane that comes with one of those instead. The new one won't let you use all the settings and that's what you really need. My Voodoo kext is very old and it didn't come with a pane. I had to look around for a while to find one that worked with it but you should be able to just go back a revision or two and use the one that's included. Just remember to keep a backup of your original with edits, in case you need it. :)

This is what you're looking for. Notice the big button on the left. Once pressed, that enables the use of all the sliders and that's the one you want.

post-248178-0-09884000-1330967072_thumb.png

UPDATE: I decided to just upload the pane I use for Voodoo. I'm a bit worried maybe it won't work for you without the proper kext, or maybe the permissions will be wrong but it shouldn't hurt to try. I know searching for these can be a pain so hopefully this makes it easier for you. :)

VoodooHDA.prefPane.zip

RTC single rm bank is the rtc reet fix 0x02 instead of 0x10

bios and dsdt change with eachother.. so if u dump A05 and dump A7 it might be different somewhere (text compare the .dsl and it might point to issues)

DVD issue is ati video card. QE/CI issue

(im clueless on ati)

might have to use an ati rom dump ?

or proper personality name to be enabled with ATY init ?

I thought of doing that. I thought of actually fully updating and re-extracting a dsdt using ubuntu to check the differences between the BIOS gap. I guess since i'm stumped ATM for fixing my dsdt, i'll have to just do that.

I've been slowly trying to pinpoint the errors in my dsdt by going through patches one by one but it's so tedious, i'm so tired of looking at it. Ok, i'm gonna go update the bios again and extract a new dsdt. i'll be back.

UPDATE: I did just that. Checked out both the a05 & a13 clean dsdts for changes and honestly, I see no differences. They look identical to me, given I only skimmed through the tree layout and looked a bit closer at a few certain things, like RTC but I see no differences. What does that mean? I don't understand why being on a13 makes all Mac OSs fail to boot when the dsdts are so similar. I really see NO differences in them at all. Feel free to look for yourself if you have doubts.760-biosdsdt.zip

@Latin, thanks for the links. I'll be trying those out soon. :)

UPDATE: Just tried that out on Lion and this is what I still get from verbose:

RTC: Only single RAM bank (128 bytes)

Is this normal? I've been getting this message for as long as I can recall. I will also mention that I am NOT on the more updated BIOS update for this model. The most updated revision is A13. I ran through a series of tests with upgrading/downgrading my BIOS firmware and found that after A07 the system will fail to boot into ANY Mac OS, and I also lose a few options in my BIOS. One of those options is the ability to enable/disable VT-x Hardware I/O support. I didn't want to lose that because one day I may update my CPU to a model that supports it. So, I stuck with A05 since it seemed stable enough for me to boot into all Mac OSs and the most BIOS options are all retained. I'll keep testing around with the modified AppleRTC.kext to see if I get anymore BIOS hangs or errors but for the moment, it looks unchanged in verbose.

@Anon, If the DVD player is crashing it's likely an issue with your DVD drive, not the ATI card, although I wouldn't rule it out completely yet. Try using the DeviceMergeNub.kext that was linked to earlier in the thread. It's very easy to edit to make your drive supported. I would try that for the DVD player crash first.

About your card. It seems like your card isn't being properly reconigized. If your not already using one, I would try using an enabler kext of some kind. I believe OS X isn't using your HDMI port correctly. Worst case, you'll have to manually patch it in using dsdt.

Finally, about Voodoo. You seem to be using the newest revision of Voodoo. That version doesn't allow you to use all the sliders as you mentioned. Trying going back a revision or two and use the pref pane that comes with one of those instead. The new one won't let you use all the settings and that's what you really need. My Voodoo kext is very old and it didn't come with a pane. I had to look around for a while to find one that worked with it but you should be able to just go back a revision or two and use the one that's included. Just remember to keep a backup of your original with edits, in case you need it. :)

This is what you're looking for. Notice the big button on the left. Once pressed, that enables the use of all the sliders and that's the one you want.

post-248178-0-09884000-1330967072_thumb.png

UPDATE: I decided to just upload the pane I use for Voodoo. I'm a bit worried maybe it won't work for you without the proper kext, or maybe the permissions will be wrong but it shouldn't hurt to try. I know searching for these can be a pain so hopefully this makes it easier for you. :)

VoodooHDA.prefPane.zip

Will try it tomorrow. Today I updated to VoodooHDA 2.7.3, but I've had the same issue with 2.7.2.

For my ATI, System Information reports it as ATI Radeon HD 5000 though, not 5670. I'm using stock kexts. I will try the DVD drive thing later.

RTC single rm bank is the rtc reet fix 0x02 instead of 0x10

bios and dsdt change with eachother.. so if u dump A05 and dump A7 it might be different somewhere (text compare the .dsl and it might point to issues)

DVD issue is ati video card. QE/CI issue

(im clueless on ati)

might have to use an ati rom dump ?

or proper personality name to be enabled with ATY init ?

I do have QE/CI...

Any idea how to get a ROM dump?

I've had a s***** day. It seems all my dsdt testing finally caught up to me. The constant hard reboots from failed sleep/wake fixes caused my Lion partition to fail today. Tried for hours to revive it using fsck_hfs and diskutil without success. So I finally gave up and reinstalled. What a crappy day.

I noticed every boot both Lion and SL are running fsck_hfs. That CANNOT be good for the file systems. Is that normal? I'll have to check my MacBook to see if that auto runs them each boot too.

I just reinstalled OS X (due to an unrelated issue that keeps popping up these days, and I'm not quite sure what it is), and I installed your audio kext. It actually worked, perfectly, but only the front headphone port. No more hiss and no more issue with bass. There is no trace of the rear port though. Any ideas?

Here is a pic to show what I mean...

USB Audio is the Capture USB thing I have (to connect S-Video or Red/Yellow/White Composite video devices to it.

post-646111-0-96183600-1331046481_thumb.png

There is only two ways to try to get back your back audio port that I know of.

1) modify the current kext and hope you get it working.

2) backup your edits of the current kext and try out older and newer revisions of it.

My Lion install is between 85-95% back to the way it was before the catastrophic error. I now have most everything set back up and installed again. I think i'm gonna put this one to bed for now for a few reasons.

1) I accomplished what I set out to do, create/modify a dsdt for the system.

2) The current dsdt i've been using for both SL & Lion is working well, not perfect, it's good enough.

3) I'm sick of looking at dsdt code and need to actually play around with the "Mac" more.

4) I've tried damn near everything I can think of to fix the BIOS hang and Sleep/Wake.

5) I CANNOT and will NOT toast this install too by doing all the same thing as before.

6) Again, i'm tired of screwing with it, seems like somethings are fixed while other break. :(

I'm attaching my current, mostly working dsdt just for future reference and for others to examine if desired. I've had a decent run with it but there are some problems I just can't seem to solve ATM. I will continue to try to fix it here and there but it won't be on an hourly, daily basis. My system simply can't handle the hard shut downs or reboots so it's best if I test by stretching it out a bit more to avoid causing boot errors on the installs. Opti760.zip

Currently, as I said, most things work fine using the dsdt i've provided. It supports HPET, and SpeedStep. The RTC fix seems working ok, no BIOS resets but the hang still occurs from something unrelated I figure. The EHCI fix is working, no more verbose errors. LPC seems ok, I don't get any errors using verbose with this dsdt, although I did briefly try to fix it using an ICH10 patch and it failed, miserably so i'm just gonna leave that as it is. The USBs are all good, they have device-ids fixes and work well. IDE was replaced with SATA and my drive performance is increased because of it.

About the only thing that doesn't function as it should is Sleep/Wake. Using this dsdt, it sleeps fine but waking causes a hard reboot, which is very bad for the system. This was tested on Lion. I have no idea what happens on SL.

I'm sure there is a ton of {censored} that could be removed from this dsdt to trim the fat off of it but I don't feel comfortable removing things when I know so little of what the consequences will be. If anyone wants to try, please feel free just do me the favor of reporting whatever you find out. I'd like to know. ;-p

Lastly, thank you to everyone who has helped through this. I'm changing the topic tag to [WIP] to signify it's not really solved but not really a complete problem anymore either. Thanks for all the help! This one needs to take a rest though. I'll report any changes that occur should I make them and find anything new out. Thanks again. The system is much better than it was, even if all the problems weren't resolved. :)

After a bit more testing i've come to realize that the dsdt I uploaded in the previous post is in fact completely working! :)

While i'm sure it's far from perfect in terms of being cluttered with useless extra {censored} and what not, the dsdt does have a confirmed working sleep/wake fix. This not only working with Lion but for SL also. The reason why it wasn't working in SL (and why shutdown wasn't working too) was because the hibernate mode was incorrectly set. Once I changed it back to the default of 0, everything was working again.

I would like to confirm that this system is 99.5% complete at this point in my testing. I'm sure it's likely a bit less than that but for now, that is where i've placing it. The only issue that has yet to be resolved is the occasional BIOS reboot hang, but that is likely an error in my dsdt and is merely an inconvenience and not worth the hassle of trying to look into further for fixing. So, all that said, I would like to classify this as case closed. I would like to once again thank everyone who helped me in any and every part of this little adventure.

Again, to everyone who assisted...thanks! :)

• Like 1

see if a 10.6.7 sleeps and wakes normaly. in hibernatemode 0

the _WAK might have to be reviced for waking lpt or com that was removed... or the Darwin replacement makes other features.

disable ps2 in bios ?

update your first post with the best dsdt candidate and recommend to text compare the .dsl's of orig to your bios version?