[UPDATED] Dell Optiplex 760 SFF Setup for ML, Lion & SL

gygabyte666

122 posts in this topic

I've got a 755. As for the App Store, I've had this issue for about a year so far, but finally got it working (also for iCloud and Messages Beta)...

I'd followed many guides, but all did nothing for me. Then I tried something else. I downloaded EFIStudio, and added an Ethernet device in it. Wrote to com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. I copied the information into /Extra/org.chamelon.boot.plist. Next, I removed all my network connections in System Preferences, and then I deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Rebooted and add the Connections back (all of them) and it worked.

Hope this helps.

Thanks AnonMac but it doesn't work for me. :(

I tried several different attempts. First I patched both com.apple.Boot.plist & org.chameleon.Boot.plist with just the basic output of EFI Studio, no device-properties applied. Next, I made sure to remove my AppleIntelE1000e.kext so that the fixes had a chance to take affect. Since that didn't work and I was now without Intenet, then I tried applying the device-properties string to both plists. Then I re-added my AppleIntelE1000e.kext so my Internet would work again and tired that along with the fixes above. Still doesn't work, so I removed the fixes. Lastly, out of pure guesswork I tried remaking my smbios.plist to add in a randomly generated serial # (the one I use is made up) and that didn't help either.

I suppose the 755 and mine aren't that different hardware wise but I guess they are just different enough for this kinda thing not to work. Wish I knew what it was that Apple checks for to see if a system is "verified". Then, I could likely patch this up real quick. Thanks for trying to help though! :)

Yeah, i'm pretty sure the CPU has VT but as I said, something is acting up and not allowing it to be used.

LAN0? Is that in the dsdt? I looked but couldn't find it. Where do I fix this at and with what?

Um, what do you mean? PCI for LAN? No, i'm using the onboard for LAN. I just have to use AppleIntelE1000e.kext for it to work though. Sorry, but sometimes I feel like we're speaking two different languages to each other and sometimes I find it hard to understand what you're trying to tell me. :(

Devicemergenub? hmm, never heard of it. There a link somewhere, what needs to be done to use it?

EDIT: I found the thread for devicemergenub here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238332&st=0

Sadly, I don't know what to do with it though. :(

Thanks AnonMac but it doesn't work for me. :(

I tried several different attempts. First I patched both com.apple.Boot.plist & org.chameleon.Boot.plist with just the basic output of EFI Studio, no device-properties applied. Next, I made sure to remove my AppleIntelE1000e.kext so that the fixes had a chance to take affect. Since that didn't work and I was now without Intenet, then I tried applying the device-properties string to both plists. Then I re-added my AppleIntelE1000e.kext so my Internet would work again and tired that along with the fixes above. Still doesn't work, so I removed the fixes. Lastly, out of pure guesswork I tried remaking my smbios.plist to add in a randomly generated serial # (the one I use is made up) and that didn't help either.

I suppose the 755 and mine aren't that different hardware wise but I guess they are just different enough for this kinda thing not to work. Wish I knew what it was that Apple checks for to see if a system is "verified". Then, I could likely patch this up real quick. Thanks for trying to help though! :)

It could be that I use WiFi card. I didn't mention it because I didn't think it would matter much. It's a D-Link card with Ralink drivers, so OS X sees it as an ethernet card. My built-in ethernet uses another ethernet driver (Intel82566MM.kext) but I haven't used it in ages. See if this works for you.

the cpu itself has to have VT

remove the LAN0

_DSM

{

blabla

}

as you are using pci right ?

theres a devicemergenub from andy that fakes superdrive for your dvd

Yeah, i'm pretty sure the CPU has VT but as I said, something is acting up and not allowing it to be used.

LAN0? Is that in the dsdt? I looked but couldn't find it. Where do I fix this at and with what?

Um, what do you mean? PCI for LAN? No, i'm using the onboard for LAN. I just have to use AppleIntelE1000e.kext for it to work though. Sorry, but sometimes I feel like we're speaking two different languages to each other and sometimes I find it hard to understand what you're trying to tell me. :(

Devicemergenub? hmm, never heard of it. There a link somewhere, what needs to be done to use it?

EDIT: I found the thread for devicemergenub here: http://www.insanelym...pic=238332&st=0

Sadly, I don't know what to do with it though. :(

I have the same problem with VT. My CPU (e8400) has VT, and my motherboard also has a section for it, but I can't seem to get it to work.

EDIT: Maybe you need EthernetBuiltIn=yes in org.chameleon.boot.plist. If that doesn't work, add the EFI strings to it as well.

Ah that explains it.

My CPU is an e5200 and after a Wikipedia search, maybe mine doesn't support VT. Lame.

I'll try out the EFI flag but I doubt it'll fix anything. Since my card is unsupported I don't think it'll help. Unless Apple uses something other than the Ethernet/wifi to check verification.

I don't know the problem of the SuperDrive though. It never happened to me. Do you have the latest version of iDVD?

As for the other problem. This is my org.chameleon.boot.plist file in the picture. This isn't the complete EFI strings, but the window would have been too large for it to show. See if this helps. :) I made it boot 32-bit because my WiFi card works only on 32-bit mode.

-----------------

Ah that explains it.

My CPU is an e5200 and after a Wikipedia search, maybe mine doesn't support VT. Lame.

I'll try out the EFI flag but I doubt it'll fix anything. Since my card is unsupported I don't think it'll help. Unless Apple uses something other than the Ethernet/wifi to check verification.

I read somewhere once that it has to be built-in, so with the boot flag, it should make Chameleon fool OS X into thinking that it is an official built-in network card.

My iDVD is v7.1.2 and i'm using iLife '11. Not sure if it's still the newest version or not. I've had it for a pretty long while now.

About the picture....um, I can't see it. Did you upload it? Maybe my theme is messing with being able to see it. I'll try to change my theme around and see if it helps.

EDIT: Yeah, just changed my theme to check and I still can't see a pic under your post. Bummer. >_>

I still have the latest? Wow! They seem to be pumping out everything else quicker than {censored} but not iLife? Lol that's kinda cool though.

My plist is very similar to yours. Difference is that I'm not using x86 mode, npci, darkwake, PCIRoot, GraphicsEnabler or EthernetBuiltIn yet. I was planning on testing out npci, darkwake and ethernetbuiltin soon but have been busy so I haven't gotten around to it yet. Are you using a custom dsdt or are you just using modified kexts/chameleon flags with good results? I ask because my GraphicsEnabler flag was working great but since I have been bouncing between using so many different dsdts, it just stopped working so now I have to use NVEnabler.

Also, what is the difference on your SystemType? Why is yours set to 3? I have the Optiplex mini tower and so I set it to 1 for desktop. What does 3 do differently for you? Thanks! :)

UPDATE: Holy {censored}! The App Store just let me log in!!! No verified errors! Mind you, this is on SL. I still need to test Lion but still. Just checked. App Store works on both SL & Lion! :D

I just rebooted and added in the following flags:

npci=0x2000 (not sure what this does still)

darkwake=0 (don't see any change using this)

EthernetBuiltIn=Yes

SystemType=3 (changed from 1)

I also removed several lines that I had in, like these:

DSDT=/Extra/dsdt.aml

SMBIOS=/Extra/smbios.plist

SMBIOSDefaults=No

I doesn't matter that I removed these lines though because I discovered Chameleon by default loads smbios.plist & dsdt.aml if it finds them. A quick check of my System Profiler is telling me I was right about that too so, they still got loaded. It must have been EthernetBuiltIn, that's the only one that makes sense. Still, thanks for your help Anon! Something is fixed!!! :)

Now if only I could manage to get that annoying iDVD error fixed, all be doing much better. I've looked ALL DAY and EVERYWHERE and can't find a decent resource for fixing the no SuperDrive error. I can't believe no one has a fix or a simple patch I could apply. Boo! :(

I've been trying to fix my DSDT all day and I think i've done a fairly decent job so far. I extracted a fresh dsdt to use from Ubuntu so it doesn't contain any possible errors from extracting from Mac. I added in the DTGP & RTC fixes and they seem ok. I also tried adding in my GFX0 fix for auto injection of my 9500 so I don't need NVEnabler anymore but I can't get it to work. I had it working before but I don't want to use the old one as reference for fixing this one because it still had all the original compile errors.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME FIX THIS PLEASE? Optiplex760_DSDTs.zip

I included 3 different dsdts. One right after I fixed all the compile errors and added in the RTC fix, the failed GFX0 fix with DTGP, and an original untouched one. Please someone fix it for me.

I am sick of it :(

Now for the main two issues I have...

I still haven't fixed sleep or VT. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also, how about DVD Player. I haven't gotten that to work. It crashes always.

My system works with sleep so sorry no help there. AFAIK having darkwake=0 makes it so you can't ever properly test it. You'll likely need some kinda of dsdt/kext patch to fix it. VT I got nothing for. I don't know how that can be fixed. DVD Player i'm trying to work on. I'm using the link provided by Latin to try to figure out how to get my DVD drive to be supported. Feel free to check it out here: http://www.insanelym...ded&pid=1597304

u dont needs gfx0 in dsdt.. just Device (PCI0) has to have _ADR, 0x00 and _UID, 0x00 for graphicssenabler to work.

hpet, rtc, irq, are the main players . dsdt editor has patches for it.

Hmm, ok well that helps a bit. So I can't just say screw it to the gfx0 in the dsdt? I'll try that out in a sec and see what happens. Maybe that's what I did last time to make it work. HPET works fine with my system, I don't need any CPU disablers and it registers just fine on both Lion and SL. RTC is mostly fixed. it doesn't reset my BIOS/CMOS anymore but I still occasionally get the BIOS hang. I think that maybe EHCI is the cause and i'm working on that. IRQ i know nothing about. I don't know what it does or doesn't do. I removed it from RTC but thats the extent i've seen of it so far. Thanks!

if EHCI is missing and the fix, sleep might not work ... also the device ids need to match mac real ones.

dont forget LPC for ich10 also and SBUS needs to be added as EHCI

GFX in dsdt isnt needed as GraphicsEnabler takes care of that ( as long as _UID is Zero for PCI0 aka PCIROOTUID =0)

VT is only a hardware upgrade of cpu

Ok, well i've been busy lately. I added in and fixed a ton of things for my dsdt. Here is a list of what I added in/fixed:

-DGTP

-PCI0/GraphicsEnabler

-HPET

-RTC

-EHCI

-SBUS

-SpeedStep

I also removed/fixed all the compile errors I had before with the unaltered dsdt. The only thing I see now while compiling is like 33 optimizations, which I don't know how to fix so I left them and everything seems well without it.

DGTP was added in since so many mods rely on it.

PCI0/GraphicsEnabler was fixed as suggested by Latin without any issues. GFX card is now fully working again without NVEnabler. Thanks for that! :)

HPET was always working for me but I added in the missing IRQs to be safe.

RTC I had in before but made sure to re-add it in for the updated dsdt i've been editing.

EHCI was added in and seems to be working. I no longer get the "will be unloaded across sleep" message anymore.

SBUS was added in and is now visible in the IOReg, so it must be working.

SpeedStep I had a hard time with, and testing it to see if it was working was difficult too but I came across VoodooMonitor and have been using that to test it. P-states are shown in the app and the CPU frequencies bounce around depending on what is running so I think I can safely assume that SpeedStep is activated and working.

I also had to tweak varies things to keep the dsdt compile errors from returning and probably forgot a thing or two that I added in but these are the important ones. Everything has been tested and confirmed working in both SL and Lion. The only odd side-effect i've noticed is that now sleep seems to work but wake doesn't. When I put the system to sleep it shuts to monitor off and sounds like the HDD gets powered down but I can't wake the monitor up so I have to hard-reboot to get back in. I didn't use to do that prior to the dsdt edits. I suppose it probably never went to sleep before but it would make the screen dark but the monitor never powered off. Other than that though, everything has been great!

Sadly, dsdt took up all my time and I haven't had much time to test the Nub for the DVD drive yet but I figure that'll be my next project. I've included the dsdt if anyone finds it useful for themselves or if someone can help me decode my sleep/wake issue with it. Thanks for all the help everyone! :)

dsdt-Optiplex760.aml.zip

LPC ich10 in patches/desktops

dvd mergenub... get the id info as specified in post of superdrive faking. then we add it to the info.plist

(im booted on osx about to mountain lion my desktop leopard 10.5.8 bye bye)

so i can work on dsdt for a little bit but leaving to get son from school soon

just to clear up PCI0 graphicsen.. the fix is the _UID, 0x00 right ?

also hpet has a line if OSID 0x7D else returns. .. that has to be fixed the else return to 0x0F

Edit: i see problem the Shutdown fix is pointing to 0x430 the cpu says 0x810 which means its in the 800 address range not 400 .. so it needs 0x830 not 0x430

also.. did u add power states in dsdt or did this come in dsdt ??

Scope (_PR.CPU0)
   {
    Method (_PSS, 0, NotSerialized)
    {
	    Return (Package (0x04)
	    {
		    Package (0x06)
		    {
			    Zero,
			    Zero,
			    0x0A,
			    0x0A,
			    0x0922,
			    Zero
		    },
more code... all under _PTS section
the _PSS is ACPI Power States Specified (overrides chameleon GenratePStaes)

I tried an LPC patch while I was testing, I used the ich10 one you specified but it gave me LPC verbose errors while leaving it as it is does not. So I decided maybe I didn't need the LPC patch, I figure the less verbose errors the better.

As I said, I haven't had time to screw with the SuperDrive faking. I plan to do that as soon as I can. If all i'm doing is adding in device ids to a plist then it should be easy enough I figure.

Yes, technically I have my PCI0 set to _UID, Zero, not _UID, 0x00. Mine works this way though and the GraphicsEnabler is working great. Full res and QE/CI as usual. HPET, this is the code I see and I see not reference in it to what you are saying. AFAIK, according to IOReg, HPET is working so I didn't see a reason to mess with it further.

Device (HPET)
	{
		Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
		Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
		{
			Name (HBAB, ResourceTemplate ()
			{
				IRQNoFlags ()
					{0}
				IRQNoFlags ()
					{8}
				Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
					0xFED00000,		 // Address Base
					0x00000400,		 // Address Length
					)
			})
			Return (HBAB)
		}
	}
}

Yes, my shutdown fix was labeled as an Intel Shutdown. Considering my board is Intel-based, I figured it was my best bet. After testing it was confirmed to be the fix for this board.

My section for the SpeedStep fix looks basically identical to what you wrote. The exception is the PTS. This is the code from the dsdt for that section. Everything else is the same. I applied the fix to 2 CPUS under dsdt. Originally it listed 4 but I removed the other two since this is a dual-core and the remaining CPUs are irrelavent.

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
	{
		If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
		{
			Store (Zero, SLPE)
			Sleep (0x10)
		}
		Else
		{
			PSKM (Arg0)
		}
	}
}

Sounds good. Will test ASAP.

I forgot to mention that I also fixed my Audio hissing problem. Using the VoodooHDA pref pane I discovered what was causing it and then applied that information to the Info.plist and it worked! The hiss is gone and the audio sounds very nice and clear now. Very similar to how it does using the official Windows driver.

Here is the fix for future reference, or for others with a similar issue. Speaker was what I added in and set it to off with 0. No more hiss. :)

<key>MixerValues</key>
<dict>
<key>iGain</key>
<string>90</string>
<key>Speaker</key>
<string>0</string>
</dict>

Also, I applied the SuperDrive nub fix and it works great on both SL & Lion! Actually, my drive had generic support to begin with. I guess the crashes before were due to not having QE/CI on the old 6200 and I guess I just forgot to test since. Still, the fix is better anyway. I tested it before and after the fix and both times it appeared to be supported on both iDVD and DVD Player, although after the fix I noticed a slight loading speed boost in DVD Player. Thanks for the suggest it works great!!!

Here is a screen of the before and after results in profiler.

post-248178-0-77022300-1330716950_thumb.jpg

Alright, gonna go try the dsdt now. I'm gonna disable the printer port in the BIOS too, I forgot to do that anyway. I'll report back in a min.

UPDATE: Ok, I tested it and I was able to boot with no issues. Just tested sleep/wake and it WORKS, but it only works in Lion, SL still fails to wakeup. Still at least Lion's sleep/wake works. Thanks so much!

interesting info about wake.

try booting in snow with -v -f npci=0x2000

make sure u dont have sleepenabler or nullcpupower or any nvenablers

then run kext utility to remove sleepimage and caches

also check in power management that its checked "restart on power failure"

Weird right? Ok i'll give that a go. I have no sleep enablers or nullcpus and obviously bc of the dsdt fix, i am no longer using nvenabler. Should I keep using EvOreboot.kext though? I keep using it thinking maybe it has something to do with fixing my BIOS hang but I really don't know. Is there some sort of restart fix I could apply to dsdt? Maybe it would solve the hang?

UPDATE: Sorry, doesn't seem to do anything different. Still doesn't wakeup. Also worth mentioning that I don't have a sleep image in snow or in lion.